• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Tomcat

It's a 3 1/2 year old phone. At some point devices need cutting off. 42 or so months of OS updates is something just about every owner of a smart phone can only dream of.

Leaving people behind? Backlash? Come on. If there's a backlash people should be told to get to fuck.

ms doesn't have the luxury for any backlash on windows mobile. 1gb like the 920 phones should be able to run win10. And as I have seen on mine they can.
As for updates last update was over a year ago.

GreyWind

Q: I'm currently using a Windows 10 Insider build on my device, but it is not on the list of devices that will receive a formal Windows 10 update. What should I expect in the future?

A: If you already have the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build on your device, you may keep using your device in an unsupported state. We will not be offering build updates beyond the Current Branch build 10586. At some point in the future these devices will also stop receiving updates to the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build. In order to recover the devices back to a supported build of Windows Phone 8.1, you may use the Windows Device Recovery Tool. There are more details on the use of the Windows Device Recovery Tool within this forum post.

Looks like my only options are; stay stuck on that build forever or go back to 8.1. No Canadian carriers offering any of the new windows mobile models so I'm fucked unless I decide to buy the unlocked phones from the MS store.

200.gif

hadareud

The Translator
I do buy into the argument that if the 435 can get W10M then the likes of the 920 should be able to handle it too.

It is able to handle it. But the combination of how well it runs and how old it is has done for it, I suspect (same for the 1020).

ms doesn't have the luxury for any backlash on windows mobile. 1gb like the 920 phones should be able to run win10. And as I have seen on mine they can.
As for updates last update was over a year ago.

I think the decent thing to do would be to continue having insider builds available for it.

So, will a new thread appear now that W10M (finally) launched?

I dont see the icon on the list. Does that mean it is not going to be supported?
Ask Verizon. They will be glad to sell you a new phone.

I think the decent thing to do would be to continue having insider builds available for it.
Actually, I thought they would do the contrary: release a final, stable OS update for those devices, and then get rid of the support for Redstone builds. If the (already done) release for older phones doesn't arrive, what interest is there to continue developing compatibility in newer updates?

hadareud

The Translator
Actually, I thought they would do the contrary: release a final, stable OS update for those devices, and then get rid of the support for Redstone builds. If the (already done) release for older phones doesn't arrive, what interest is there to continue developing compatibility in newer updates?

Yes, that's better than my suggestion.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got a stable build and at&t released the firmware that fixes the camera. I just shot a 4k video, no lines, no issues at all. Yaaaaassssssssss

So happy with this phone right now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I have two Nokia vertical qi chargers was going to throw them in the trash but then was like wait someone in the windows phone thread might want them. Just pay shipping.

Also i have 4 brand new in box Microsoft band 2 chargers if anyone wants one. 8 bucks they're 20 new.

It starts, I don't get the map update. S7 is calling my name.
You should check it out, it's nice.

Was pissing about with the 640 mainly to look at the Twitter mobile update and I am genuinely stunned that people like software buttons.

I hate having them on screen but the constant swiping them on and off is such a pain. I honestly can't understand how anybody prefers this over just having a nice clear screen with seperate buttons that are always there.

Edit: How I miss the WP keyboard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I find it interesting that the folks that are leaving the platform because they aren't getting an update for a two year old phone are talking about moving to Samsung phones.

Nexus, iPhone, or Win10 unlocked phones, those are essentially your options for guaranteed updates, and even then you are pushing it at the two year mark. Google might have moved on, Wm10 may not exist, and Apple's update is more likely to cripple your phone than add anything useful once it's two years old.

joshschw

I find it interesting that the folks that are leaving the platform because they aren't getting an update for a two year old phone are talking about moving to Samsung phones.

Nexus, iPhone, or Win10 unlocked phones, those are essentially your options for guaranteed updates, and even then you are pushing it at the two year mark. Google might have moved on, Wm10 may not exist, and Apple's update is more likely to cripple your phone than add anything useful once it's two years old.

It's ridiculous. Carriers obviously wouldn't push it out anyway, so Microsoft offers the option for Insider Preview for these older devices. No, they won't continue to get new Win10 features, but at what point should it stop?

Now, the fact that my HTC ONE is not on the list is a bit iffy. Oh well... It has too many bugs due to firmware issues that HTC needs to fix, so that's likely why.

NeOak

I have two Nokia vertical qi chargers was going to throw them in the trash but then was like wait someone in the windows phone thread might want them. Just pay shipping.

Also i have 4 brand new in box Microsoft band 2 chargers if anyone wants one. 8 bucks they're 20 new.

You should check it out, it's nice.

I'll take the Nokia chargers.

JaggedSac

I am pissed about not getting an app update, and likely never will get that update. That pisses me off far more than a firmware update.

I dont need tons of apps, but I do need the main ones. I don't have any problems with the current map app, but not getting new features is a real bitch.

i mean, people complain about the speed of updates, but what S/Note didn't get 2 years worth of updates from their launch date?

It would be fine if I had gotten the 1020 firmware update and while I don't expect MS to support the OS forever, the constant resetting of OS and having app discontinued is what made it far worst. Reading all yours and other horror stories with Windows 10 mobile made me think I will probably never come back. I can understand why some folk are piss.

Paganmoon

Hmm, started noticing an issue with the language settings on my 950 (on Redstone) a while back, didn't think much of it.
Windows Hello would start out in Swedish, but when it detected me it would go into English.

Now, was going to check for the latest build, I saw this in the settings app:

Like, every other setting is in English. Anyone else with the phone set to another language notice this?

the os is getting smooth again. I'm loving the build on my 950--no more lock-screen lag. Either that or it's been routed out a while ago and I'm finally realizing it after using my branch's builds for the past three months...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna stick with the slow ring for now. Fast really breaks the Band sync. As it is I only have text notifications and no email.

As far as stability it has been great.

nillapuddin

Im on 39033, am I doing this right?

My phone continues to have no problems, the SO has yet again been struck with bugs

yesterday her texts werent coming or going, the phone was locking up, then when she got home it bricked itself into a permanent sadface " : ( " on the screen and it wouldnt change

ended up going to AT&T at 8:45 pm to get it replaced, was there til almost 10 because they only had 1 person working, they waived the restocking fee for us, but damn. What a shitty situation.

Shes at work now ofcourse so idk how its doing today, but shes so frustrated at it.

Crazy to me how we can have 2 devices in the same house that are this different from eachother.

MCD

Spent a whole day backing up my photos and stuff. Then did a whole restore, went back to 8.1 then installed the official release and finally did a reset and restored my backup.

Stable as fuck so far. Love it. 640 here.

It's a shame old phones aren't getting supported anymore but I don't know. Maybe I got used to it after win phone 7 fiasco. Just don't care anymore to vent.

jstripes

Banned
Looks like my 1020 is officially dead

I bought my wife a Lumia 710.

"Sorry, no Windows Phone 8 upgrade."

I bought my wife a Lumia 1020.

"Sorry, no Windows 10 Mobile upgrade."

What a fucking joke. Even though she likes Windows Phone, the next phone I buy her won't be Windows Phone.

Spent a whole day backing up my photos and stuff. Then did a whole restore, went back to 8.1 then installed the official release and finally did a reset and restored my backup.

Stable as fuck so far. Love it. 640 here.

It's a shame old phones aren't getting supported anymore but I don't know. Maybe I got used to it after win phone 7 fiasco. Just don't care anymore to vent.
Your 640, is it an unlocked 640?

I bought my wife a Lumia 710.

"Sorry, no Windows Phone 8 upgrade."

I bought my wife a Lumia 1020.

"Sorry, no Windows 10 Mobile upgrade."

What a fucking joke. Even though she likes Windows Phone, the next phone I buy her won't be Windows Phone.

I had to explain to my wife last night why her phone wont be getting the windows 10 upgrade. Such a mess, they really should just push this out to every phone that can run it. It is such a bad look for MS even if it isnt their fault.

I had to explain to my wife last night why her phone wont be getting the windows 10 upgrade. Such a mess, they really should just push this out to every phone that can run it. It is such a bad look for MS even if it isnt their fault.

The 1020 too is surely capable. The 520, yeah I can understand if they're having trouble getting it to run in an acceptable way - but the 1020 has 2GB RAM for fuck's sake.

Paganmoon

Thread need to be re-named? Or do we just get merged with the Windows 10 thread?

The windows 10 deskop thread? nah best keep it separate. Onwards to 800 pages my friends!

And those complaining about 1020 not (officially) getting Win10, just get on insider. You'll be trading an OS that won't be update (8.1) with another OS that you won't get updates for (after 10586). There really is nothing to lose if Win 10 is that important to you. We are after all talking about a 3 year old phone, that was running on hardware that was already 1 year old by the time of release.

jstripes

Banned
The 1020 too is surely capable. The 520, yeah I can understand if they're having trouble getting it to run in an acceptable way - but the 1020 has 2GB RAM for fuck's sake.

They really have no clue what they're doing in the mobile space.

All the current phones are going to be dead in the water in two years when they inevitably decide to reboot/retool their OS again.

It's a massive conundrum for Microsoft, because if they don't keep trying to conquer mobile Windows has no long-term future.

And those complaining about 1020 not (officially) getting Win10, just get on insider. You'll be trading an OS that won't be update (8.1) with another OS that you won't get updates for (after 10586). There really is nothing to lose if Win 10 is that important to you. We are after all talking about a 3 year old phone, that was running on hardware that was already 1 year old by the time of release.

1) Trading an abandoned OS for an unfinished, abandoned OS is no solution.

2) I'm not gonna put my wife on an insider build.

3) Promises, promises.

4) My old iPhone 4S, which I gave to my in-laws, got iOS 9 FFS.

More phones also means more testing. It sucks, but you have to cut them off at some point.

Now that the 630 isn't being supported really sucks.

Top Bottom