• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

zrTbqMsl.png

I see that you're referring to the firmware version. As best as I can tell, you're up-to-date for Windows 10 slow ring.

Was your wife/gf on the same version?

MCD

They really have no clue what they're doing in the mobile space.

All the current phones are going to be dead in the water in two years when they inevitably decide to reboot/retool their OS again.

It's a massive conundrum for Microsoft, because if they don't keep trying to conquer mobile Windows has no long-term future.

1) Trading an abandoned OS for an unfinished, abandoned OS is no solution.

2) I'm not gonna put my wife on an insider build.

3) Promises, promises.

4) My old iPhone 4S, which I gave to my in-laws, got iOS 9 FFS.

Doesn't the latest iOS degrade older hardware performance or just internet talk?

joshschw

You guys are nuts. What do you think the Insider Program was for? Just to easily push updates to people and not for actually providing feedback for Microsoft to utilize?

The update IS there if you want it via the Insider Program. It's the EXACT same bits it would be if they "pushed" it via carriers - where you'd never get in anyway.

My HTC One is a perfect example of this stuff. Win10 FLIES on this thing. It benchmarks very close to a new 950, but it has HTC bugs/firmware issues so they definitely can not be pushing it out officially. Am I bumed that I can't get Redstone stuff? Absolutely - but whats Microsoft's choice here?

If you want it on a 520, 920, 630, etc... It's there for you to get. It's the same bits of code that they are "shipping." What is the problem here?

Paganmoon

Doesn't the latest iOS degrade older hardware performance or just internet talk?

My iPhone 4 on ios 6 was pretty bad, had colleagues that upgrades to ios7 and had major problems. And that's with an OS that doesn't have too many HW revisions to take into account.

And @jstripes, going on Windows Insider Release Preview Ring is getting the most stable and "finished" version of the OS for that phone. Release Preview Ring is pretty much the Released version. It's going to be as stable as it'll get.

Again, if Win10mobile is that important to you, that's the road to take. I don't see much difference in going Release preview ring, compared to getting the update OTA at this stage.

jstripes

Banned
If you want it on a 520, 920, 630, etc... It's there for you to get. It's the same bits of code that they are "shipping." What is the problem here?

The problem is that even though the bits are there, it's the end of the line for them. No further support or updates. If they discover a catastrophic bug, they'll just shrug and say "you're on your own".

I can't believe all these apologists in this thread. Microsoft promised something, and on the literal day of release they throw up their hands and say "too bad, so sad".

joshschw

The problem is that even though the bits are there, it's the end of the line for them. No further support or updates. If they discover a catastrophic bug, they'll just shrug and say "you're on your own".

I can't believe all these apologists in this thread. Microsoft promised something, and on the literal day of release they throw up their hands and say "too bad, so sad".

I didn't get that impression from Microsoft at all. They will continue to update the 10586 build and any phone on that should receive the updates. They didn't say it so concisely, but it's PR and Microsoft, so what else do we except...

Paganmoon

And I'm saying, what's the difference between that and 8.1? You'll get exactly as much support, none. and you'll get Win10Mobile which seems to be very important.

Microsoft promised something and didn't deliver, yes, it sucks, nothing to be done about it. What we're trying to offer you here is a solution though, and that is going on Release preview ring, and getting the exact OS that the officially supported phones will be getting.

joshschw

Also, by not making WIn10 official for any 512mb devices, they open a lot of opportunity for app developers. Allowing 512 to begin with was a big mistake IMO

MCD

They fucked up for sure but it's less of a fuck up than say, that OneDrive scammy move or WinPhone 7 upgrade path because here you can install an insider build and see if it's worth it or not.

Just my take.

joshschw

They fucked up for sure but it's less of a fuck up than say, that OneDrive scammy move or WinPhone 7 upgrade path because here you can install an insider build and see if it's worth it or not.

Just my take.

This is a good point. Did Wp7 -> Wp8 seem bad at the time? Sure... Especially with their BS Lumia900 marketing.

But if they got Wp8, and y'all wanted any WP8 device to get 10, we'd be rocking WIn10 on single core 256mb devices. At SOME point the cut off needs to happen. It will happen less and less since ARM & mobile CPU's have improved so drastically since then.

frontieruk

I'm still waiting to get my android update fro m KitKat to lollipop on my 3 year old HTC one, a device Google said would be supported under their update policy agreements with OEMs it's never going to happen but you don't find me crying about it being the end of the world, the phone works as intended, support for older devices just ends nowadays.

But just incase you hadn't seen, it's the brave souls who ran the preview versions on their devices and provided feedback that sealed the decision.

Phones that had bad performance with the Insider program and low recommendations get cut. Instead, Microsoft is prioritizing a quality experience.

Phones that had bad performance with the Insider program and low recommendations get cut. Instead, Microsoft is prioritizing a quality experience.

kharma45

Just my take.

They've fucked up 6.5 to 7, 7 to 8 and now 8.1 to 10. Whoever is devising strategy at Microsoft's mobile team is nothing short of incompetent. That burning platform is still engulfed in flames (yes I know that was a Nokia/Symbian thing).

I honestly am at a loss for words for how bad a company like MS are with mobile.

jstripes

Banned
I told my wife that her phone's been abandoned, and she said "Noooooooo!"

She realizes her app situation is about to go from bad to worse. She's worried that her Instagram app is going to be obsolete and she won't be able to use it.

This is a good point. Did Wp7 -> Wp8 seem bad at the time? Sure... Especially with their BS Lumia900 marketing.

But if they got Wp8, and y'all wanted any WP8 device to get 10, we'd be rocking WIn10 on single core 256mb devices. At SOME point the cut off needs to happen. It will happen less and less since ARM & mobile CPU's have improved so drastically since then.

Launch day is the wrong time to adjust that cut-off.

If they'd said six months ago "Windows 10 isn't looking so good for these devices so we're not gonna pursue it" it would be a different story.

It's like, what if Microsoft was developing a game for both Xbox One and Xbox 360? They show works in progress for it, and even put out early access builds to try. Then, on the day it's finally launching, after months of delays, they say "About that Xbox 360 version..."

They're really aiming for as low of a market share as they can get.

Gabe Aul - You gave us feedback, and we listened! It wasn't working as we wanted, so we took that feedback on board and.... gave up?

They really have no clue what they're doing in the mobile space.

They've fucked up 6.5 to 7, 7 to 8 and now 8.1 to 10.

I honestly am at a loss for words for how bad a company like MS are with mobile.

It's not just the incompetence, it's the fucking lies, every time. Either lying to peoples' faces (every 8.1 phone will get Windows 10!), or lying by omission (yeah, buy this Lumia 900, it totally won't be completely dead in 6 months).

The Microsoft apologists on Reddit are doing my nut too. Thank you Microsoft, for doing your best. It must have been so tough to get a 2GB RAM Lumia 1020 to run it, compared to a 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 200-toting Lumia 435. It was definitely the difficulty in getting it running, and not a policy decision to attempt to get people to upgrade the phones you promised to update. I can totally understand you giving up, it's totally not incompetence, laziness, and fucking scumbaggery.

nubbe

Upgrading to a Nexus or iOS is a much better advice than to use some shitty Insider build on which the few apps that exist might not work

Paganmoon

Upgrading to a Nexus or iOS is a much better advice than to use some shitty Insider build on which the few apps that exist might not work

*sigh* the release preview ring on the insider IS the Win10 build being sent out to supported 8.1 devices. It will run all apps supported by that win10 build. Shitty insider build with few apps? no shittier than 8.1 with it's app situation. Actually better, considering we're seeing Instagram recommit and the same with Twitter.

@jstripes: I get it, it sucks I agree, it sucks, but again, going on Win10Mobile insider (release preview ring), you'll get the official Win10Mobile release, and your wife will get a brand new official Instagram app, only available on Windows 10 mobile.
You'll be in a much better position than sticking to 8.1 and (rightfully as it may be) fuming about it.
And consider it this way, say Win10mobile fucks with your wife's 1020, device recovery tool can bring it back to the supported 8.1.
With the options you have in front of you (if you wish to stick with Windows on your phone that is), going on the Release preview ring is your best bet.

jstripes

Banned
@jstripes: I get it, it sucks I agree, it sucks, but again, going on Win10Mobile insider (release preview ring), you'll get the official Win10Mobile release, and your wife will get a brand new official Instagram app, only available on Windows 10 mobile.
You'll be in a much better position than sticking to 8.1 and (rightfully as it may be) fuming about it.
And consider it this way, say Win10mobile fucks with your wife's 1020, device recovery tool can bring it back to the supported 8.1.
With the options you have in front of you (if you wish to stick with Windows on your phone that is), going on the Release preview ring is your best bet.

Oh, I'm gonna try to get her on the insider build, but it doesn't change the fact that this is yet another broken promise from Microsoft.

As I said, she likes Windows Mobile, but the next phone I buy her is going to be iOS or Android. Simply for the reason that Microsoft may (and probably will) choose to abandon any of their phones on the market today for the next big release.

joshschw

Even insider builds will only ever be sent to that list of devices. Devices not on that list, such as my M8 will never get another update.

I thought otherwise, but now I am not so sure. It's just horrible phrasing and wordage all around - what else is new.

The 14291 build is still only available to those 6 or so phones, even though they changed the criteria for the list completely. But on the other hand, they pushed the latest 10586.164 update to the ones still on the list to the ones they removed from the list as well. But the ones still on the list that are not new devices still don't get the Redstone 14291 build.

Ahhhh!

Only time will tell at this point, because they've had a day to clarify this already.

NeOak

Even insider builds will only ever be sent to that list of devices. Devices not on that list, such as my M8 will never get another update.
I thought otherwise, but now I am not so sure. It's just horrible phrasing and wordage all around - what else is new.

The 14291 build is still only available to those 6 or so phones, even though they changed the criteria for the list completely. But on the other hand, they pushed the latest 10586.164 update to the ones still on the list to the ones they removed from the list as well. But the ones still on the list that are not new devices still don't get the Redstone 14291 build.

Ahhhh!

Only time will tell at this point, because they've had a day to clarify this already.

Holy fuck, it is true

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-supported-phones

Compare with https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...ft.com/en-us/windows/preview-supported-phones

joshschw

Yep! It's crazy. and the ones removed still got the most recent updates, and the old phones still on the new list didn't get anything new whatsoever.

I also just pulled out my funky touchscreen 1520 and updated it to the latest (from 8.1) - it's a rough upgrade experience. I think mostly because they insist on not updating the bundled apps. The Store for example is a months-old build, so until it updates, the other app updates don't work properly. I wonder what idea behind this is.

MCD

Yep! It's crazy. and the ones removed still got the most recent updates, and the old phones still on the new list didn't get anything new whatsoever.

I also just pulled out my funky touchscreen 1520 and updated it to the latest (from 8.1) - it's a rough upgrade experience. I think mostly because they insist on not updating the bundled apps. The Store for example is a months-old build, so until it updates, the other app updates don't work properly. I wonder what idea behind this is.

Apps are separated from the OS because they want to aggressively update them any moment (still doesn't explain why Edge is bundled in the OS BTW).

Store is dogshit on a vanilla reset so first thing to do is pause all updates but the store. It's rough but after a day with this build and I can tell you that it's the smoothest Win10 ever been.

joshschw

Apps are separated from the OS because they want to aggressively update them any moment (still doesn't explain why Edge is bundled in the OS BTW).

Store is dogshit on a vanilla reset so first thing to do is pause all updates but the store. It's rough but after a day with this build and I can tell you that it's the smoothest Win10 ever been.

Oh yeah - this build is awesome. Been using a One M8 for a couple months now.

It's actually updating them without the Store update but rather slowly. I'll just leave it, there's no rush. They could still push newer versions of these apps with the OS since they're pushing them to begin with. You know how bad those early apps were!

Edge is bundled because the rendering engine is tied to OS updates. I think they'll unbundle it - the app portion - from the OS with Redstone #2 - just my random thought though :)

Paganmoon

Hmm, I read the announcement as all phones that could go on insider will be getting any 10586 updates, but that's it, no Redstone.

We sure 1020 can't get on insider at all now?

Well. What do all the apologists who told me "Just install the insider build on your 1020!" have to say now? It looks like it's not even available anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/ez2IYlS.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Jesus fuck dude... I was trying to help...

kharma45

Wish my Lumia 900 was getting W10, fuck me

It should've got 8, or never have been released. That whole debacle with it was a disgrace.

The mental gymnastics some are performing to defend Microsoft over this are pathetic. They've fucked this up but I don't even know why I'm surprised. The whole mobile side of Windows reeks of incompetence.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It should've got 8, or never have been released. That whole debacle with it was a disgrace.

The mental gymnastics some are performing to defend Microsoft over this are pathetic. They've fucked this up but I don't even know why I'm surprised. The whole mobile side of Windows reeks of incompetence.

Yeah it should have. I remember being pissed about that. Glad I got an XL now. Sucks for 1020 owners, but that phone is pretty long in the tooth.

NeOak

And here I was debating 2 days ago whether to put W10 on a spare 920 I have lying around, and I got sidetracked.

Sigh.

kharma45

Yeah it should have. I remember being pissed about that. Glad I got an XL now. Sucks for 1020 owners, but that phone is pretty long in the tooth.

It is, but how it is deemed to not be worthy of W10M and the 435, a phone with a weaker SoC and less RAM can be, is beyond me. Especially when MS had spoken of getting Lumia Camera working on 10 so the 1020 could do its tricks.

I get the argument that it's an old phone but so is the iPhone 5 and it can still handle iOS 9 reasonably well. There's the android comparison and true, it can be bad, but a new OS doesn't mean apps stop working on the old phones. With Microsoft it does.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think Microsoft's biggest mistake was given 1020 owners any hope at all their old phone would get this update. If they didn't have any intention to support it, they should have never allowed the build on it. Once again their lack of clarity hurts them.

Edit: also Kharma makes a very good point about apps not being updated and working.

jstripes

Banned
I think Microsoft's biggest mistake was given 1020 owners any hope at all their old phone would get this update. If they didn't have any intention to support it, they should have never allowed the build on it. Once again their lack of clarity hurts them.

That's the biggest thing right there. They've been releasing insider builds for months, and then declare it won't be supported the day final builds start rolling out.

A letter from Gabe Aul explaining the situation wouldn't hurt, Microsoft.

There's nothing to explain. They publicly announced that the phones would get 10 and now they don't. With that I can say that it's normal for plans to change, but I really doubt they only knew this yesterday. It's shitty communication, as always.

And yes, while you might wait forever to get an Android update, if at all, the apps still work and are getting updated. My Galaxy Nexus, running 4.4.3 can still run all the latest apps.

joshschw

José Mourinho;198640086 said:
Chaps, time to put yourselves out of your WP misery.

Virtually every MS service you want can be found on other platforms.

Yes, we should get Androids. Well known for timely updates, no BSing about updates, and of course long lasting solid performance and UI.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No W10M for the M8 and the Icon is only being considered.

Honestly, fuck the mobile division. They're truly an embarrassment.
they're mistake was releasing so many damn phones, each model potentially requires it's on firmware, OS tweaks and of course testing.

You can pry the live tiles from my cold, dead hands.
The only thing I miss. I can actually browse gaf for more than 5 minutes on my phone without the browser going hmm we couldn't find this page, directly after it worked like seconds ago . So frustrating.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
José Mourinho;198640086 said:
Chaps, time to put yourselves out of your WP misery.

Virtually every MS service you want can be found on other platforms.

My 950 has turned a corner, the S7 lust has subsided. Unlike many of you, I spent the past year plus on android flagships. I have a fully functional G4 in my laptop bag, just no use for it.

Top Bottom