• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

And here I was debating 2 days ago whether to put W10 on a spare 920 I have lying around, and I got sidetracked.

Sigh.

Hmm, I read the announcement as all phones that could go on insider will be getting any 10586 updates, but that's it, no Redstone.

We sure 1020 can't get on insider at all now?

I was thinking on installing the latest Threshold build to my old 820. Has MS delisted the older phones from the Insider rings?

Does anyone here know if a brick and mortar MSFT Store exchange something you bought from the MSFT Store online?

I got a Band 2 about a week ago, a marked improvement over the first iteration in nearly every facet, but it appears that GPS doesn't work on my device.

NeOak

I was thinking on installing the latest Threshold build to my old 820. Has MS delisted the older phones from the Insider rings?

I don't think you can install Threshold.

Does anyone here know if a brick and mortar MSFT Store exchange something you bought from the MSFT Store online?

I got a Band 2 about a week ago, a marked improvement over the first iteration in nearly every facet, but it appears that GPS doesn't work on my device.

No, the online store is separate. You'll have to request an RMA online. I asked about the deals online once and I was told that.

joshschw

I have returned an online purchase in store with no issues. They just need to look up order as its a separate system. So print out your receipt.

Yes, we should get Androids. Well known for timely updates, no BSing about updates, and of course long lasting solid performance and UI.
Mate, who said anything about Android?

Even at that, the state of Android is still streets ahead of WP.

Updated my mothers 930 to 10 and the experience is quite decent. Still nowhere nearly as good as it should be mind. I'd love WP to turn it around, but I adopted the platform quite a bit after many on here and it feels like I've been saying that since day one.

I got a Band 1 a number of months back and had really patchy GPS. A factory reset stopped the GPS working altogether and a second factory reset got it working again. Fingers crossed it's all good.

I just woke up today and all my contacts are gone. I have the 950 XL.

I also recently upgraded my wife's BLU LTE and she lost a bunch of contacts as well. Also despite adding her hotmail account several times it just won't show under the mail icon.

What a mess.

Pooya

Just got the 10 update, was excited to mess with the android emulator in it then I read that they have canceled it, lol.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just woke up today and all my contacts are gone. I have the 950 XL.

I also recently upgraded my wife's BLU LTE and she lost a bunch of contacts as well. Also despite adding her hotmail account several times it just won't show under the mail icon.

What a mess.

I don't understand how this happens?

José Mourinho;198656746 said:
I got a Band 1 a number of months back and had really patchy GPS. A factory reset stopped the GPS working altogether and a second factory reset got it working again. Fingers crossed it's all good.

Hmm didn't think of that, maybe I'll try that first. Everything else has been great on it, but I've tried to go for a few runs and it just doesn't find GPS.

joshschw

So since I busted the wonky touch 1520 out again, I was wowed by having a good display (over the One M8) again, bigger screen etc...

So I popped my SIM back into the beast... and I forget all the quirks it had. The camera metering is atrocious - though of course the potential is infinitely better than the One M8, it's a bit TOO big, certainly it's fat compared to the One M8, and worst of all I forgot that it has SMS issues. They don't send right away, they "build up" before popping into my phone at random times. For months I thought it was an AT&T issue since it often fixed itself right when I left my place, but the HTC never had this issue, and I had it 30 minutes after swapping phones on the 1520.

Not sure which one I'll end up using. I need to mix them together for the perfect phone. (Probably a not buggy 950 series one, but gotta wait for that price drop)

I don't think you can install Threshold.
What a shame. I would have liked to have the option to experiment with it with a spare phone, but I think I understand their reasoning. Still, the lack of official clarification is appalling.

About half of WinPhone 8.1 userbase won't be getting win10 mobile:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/roughly-50-windows-phone-devices-use-wont-get-windows-10-mobile

There's clearly something wrong when you go from "All 8.1 phones will be upgraded", to half of your users being blocked of the new version.
I think at this point MS could care less about their marketshare.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I do this all the time. No issue at all. Go to store and return and exchange it.

nubbe

http://www.winbeta.org/news/roughly-50-windows-phone-devices-use-wont-get-windows-10-mobile

There's clearly something wrong when you go from "All 8.1 phones will be upgraded", to half of your users being blocked of the new version.

Kinda interesting how different they view PC and mobile
PC's are now more or less being forced to go over to 10, while on mobiles they just drop half their user base

nan0

Well, if you ever tried 10 on a 512 MB phone, it isn't really that surprising. I tried the insider builds on my 720 and it just wasn't a good experience. Even the cheapo 530 I bought as a temp is way better with 10.

Nikodemos

Not that surprising. Let's face it, 512 MB phones are practically dinosaurs. The iPhone 4S runs the latest iOS like absolute hammered shit, and Android has killed off any support for 512 MB devices aeons ago. MS eliminating those antiquities from their supported devices list isn't that surprising.

strata8

Yes, we should get Androids. Well known for timely updates, no BSing about updates, and of course long lasting solid performance and UI.

Maybe we should? It's becoming quickly apparent that Windows Phone isn't any better. Almost worse even, because it's more locked down with few of the advantages.

kharma45

nubbe

Looks like a simple typo to me
no way Microsoft did false advertising or false promises regarding Windows 10
bpOtKTE.png

kharma45

Strange. My lumia 735 on O2 has the W10M update available. My GFs SIM free, unbranded 735 does not have the update.

My parents 520s, both SIM free and unbranded, never got 8.1 Update 2.

SURGEdude

I bought my wife a Lumia 710.

"Sorry, no Windows Phone 8 upgrade."

I bought my wife a Lumia 1020.

"Sorry, no Windows 10 Mobile upgrade."

What a fucking joke. Even though she likes Windows Phone, the next phone I buy her won't be Windows Phone.

Yeah I got fucked twice on that too. Luckily my 8.1 phone is mostly just for testing purposes and travel to dangerous regions where a cheap phone makes you safer.

So I'm not that bummed. But I would be if it was my daily driver like my WP7 device was.

Lawsuit incoming. And they absolutely deserve it.

One of the most annoying things for 1020 owners is that there is no successor to buy. Anything is a downgrade. If you won't give us the update, give us an update.

strata8

I think the problem is that Microsoft hasn't had a consistent vision. They've essentially rewritten their mobile OS and the underlying app frameworks 3 times in the last 5 years. iOS on the other hand comes across as being much more iterative.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The blu owners should get offered a refund. Everybody else....I don't see how your 2013 phone is entitled to this, or what responsibility MS holds for carrier blocking. It's crappy, I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying legally.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think the problem is that Microsoft hasn't had a consistent vision. They've essentially rewritten their mobile OS and the underlying app frameworks 3 times in the last 5 years. iOS on the other hand comes across as being much more iterative.

Can we say they have a clear vision now? With Windows 10? Because they are going all in, with every fucking product they got for W10. If this fails, everything fails.

This isn't just mobile failing anymore.

Can we say they have a clear vision now? With Windows 10? Because they are going all in, with every fucking product they got for W10. If this fails, everything fails.

This isn't just mobile failing anymore.
Supposedly the reason they had so many resets was to get to the point where they are now, with an unified platform and a single core among many platforms, so in the very least I expect them to iterate over that from now on, instead of doing resets. I don't think they even can afford all the resets they have already done, let alone a new one.

Watevaman

Is there any way to make it so when I search in the URL bar of IE that it uses Google as the search engine and not the built-in Bing search?

edit: I guess not if it's not in my IE advanced settings, huh? Using an Icon with WP8.1

Paganmoon

Is there any way to make it so when I search in the URL bar of IE that it uses Google as the search engine and not the built-in Bing search?

IIRC, that disappeared for some reason with 8.1 update 1 (but if you had previously set it in 8.1 it carried over). On Win10 Mobile you can set Google as your default search engine when typing in the URL field of Edge.

hadareud

The Translator
Is in the UK. The Lumia 950 is available for less than £300 (open-box return) with a 12 month warranty from Currys / PC World on eBay. That's less than the USD amount, before you remember that there's 20% sales tax in the UK.

It wasn't true for the previous flagships in the UK.

Also, open box is not technically new. New it's still over 370.

It takes about 6 months for flagship Lumias to drop 50% in price

Where?

Top Bottom