• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

Anyone else automatically downloading a JavaScript file(with ding notifying of completion) when browsing gaf with mobile edge. It's weird.

Sydle

Did anyone have a problem getting their contacts back? What about getting Mail, Calendar, and People to sync with the Microsoft account? No matter how many times I put in my account info it just won't stick even after it verifies it. How did you fix it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Actually the 16GB iPhone SE is $580 (and that's before tax). The 'good' iPhone SE model, the 64 GB version, is $710. To put that in perspective, 64GB Nexus 6P is now $700. Thankfully Microsoft is selling the Lumia 650 for $200 CAD if I need a budget backup phone.

$710 is nuts.

Whatever the windows Phone version of crackberry is, this is it.

They fucked up, as per.

That happened a while ago and I just don't understand it anymore.

No one wants to own a shitty product and I genuinely believe that Windows 10 mobile is a good OS (when it works), but that doesn't mean you have to defend the shitty practices of the company who made that product. The OS is not going to get worse, when you don't defend Microsoft's fuck up.

hadareud

The Translator
The Blu thing is shitty and needs reversing or at least apologising for (same as with the Icon), but I still think that not releasing it for the *20 phones isn't a problem.

That's not defending a companies shitty practices, it's just logical that not every old phone can or will be upgraded. Phones are not PCs. Not that they handled it well, like always Microsofts communication is ridiculously poor. You cannot promise things and then not deliver them and just say "ah well". Obviously.

Of course you can sneer and accuse everyone that doesn't call Microsoft monstrous cunts on a daily basis closet Crackberry, but apart from "I want I want I want" there doesn't seem to be much reasoning going on.

Did anyone have a problem getting their contacts back? What about getting Mail, Calendar, and People to sync with the Microsoft account? No matter how many times I put in my account info it just won't stick even after it verifies it. How did you fix it?

Check your date and time setting also, last time I have sync problem with my Microsoft account the time/date were off and it won't let me sync.

The Blu thing is shitty and needs reversing or at least apologising for (same as with the Icon), but I still think that not releasing it for the *20 phones isn't a problem.

That's not defending a companies shitty practices, it's just logical that not every old phone can or will be upgraded. Phones are not PCs. Not that they handled it well, like always Microsofts communication is ridiculously poor. You cannot promise things and then not deliver them and just say "ah well". Obviously.

Of course you can sneer and accuse everyone that doesn't call Microsoft monstrous cunts on a daily basis closet Crackberry, but apart from "I want I want I want" there doesn't seem to be much reasoning going on.

They really should never have came out and said "all devices will get Windows 10" but well that's Microsoft. I used to let a lot of their shenanigans slight but after the reversing of their cloud storage promise, nothing they said mean much to me.

JaggedSac

They really should never have came out and said "all devices will get Windows 10" but well that's Microsoft. I used to let a lot of their shenanigans slight but after the reversing of their cloud storage promise, nothing they said mean much to me.

How many times have we as consumers been burnt on the promise of unlimited anything, lol.

kharma45

The x2x thing makes more sense now with the series of chips in it being DX9 whereas the newer SDs are DX11. Could all be down to drivers. Still, they should've made that clear from the off with the upgrade process.

Nikodemos

That's basically what I said in a previous post. They should've gone with a "we'll consider it on a device-by-device basis". But people accuse me of being a MS crackberry... ;_;

JaggedSac

Bit on the 950 at the discounted price. Plus I get a year of Office which I was paying $7 a month for. Went ahead and got a Mozo case for it. Guess I will be back on Tier 1 Win10 device, lol. Plus, twas my birthday month :)

Ugh the 950 does look pretty tempting I just wish it was a tiny bit cheaper. A $400 price would probably make me jump on it, or if Best Buy sold it I would have already ordered since I have a lot of GC's with them.

Tablo

Think ima jump ship to the iPhone SE, 500$ for the 64GB is a steal, only downsides for me is it isn't using the latest Touch ID chip and no barometer.
Smaller screen isn't an issue for me, more of a pro that it's small.
All that considered it destroys the 950 value wise, which I was also considering as it's on sale for 450$.

Plus my 640 randomly rebooted, popped up a message saying it lost data, then it had to redownload all the text messages and emails. Weird. It's a sign.

Think ima jump ship to the iPhone SE, 500$ for the 64GB is a steal, only downsides for me is it isn't using the latest Touch ID chip and no barometer.
Smaller screen isn't an issue for me, more of a pro that it's small.
All that considered it destroys the 950 value wise, which I was also considering as it's on sale for 450$.

Plus my 640 randomly rebooted, popped up a message saying it lost data, then it had to redownload all the text messages and emails. Weird. It's a sign.
Not really sure how it destroys the 950 in value. They're both high-end flagship devices with bleeding edge hardware. I say this has somebody who will probably also be getting the iPhone SE, but I feel like if anything the 950 is a better value if you are comparing hardware. It has a: higher resolution display, more RAM, MicroSD Support, Qi Charging, Quick Charging, presumably better battery life, better "Selfie" camera and the rear cameras are probably on par with one another and it is also cheaper than the iPhone SE.

Pooya

played around with 10 for a bit on my cheap back up phone (535). It's actually pretty good! It can do a lot of new things now, like printer support! This actually works. I can even use a bluetooth mouse (if I want to for some reason) and the new music player isn't as awful as the xbox one. I like it, one of the better phone OS upgrades I've seen, specially for a low end phone like this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The SE is the best value ever on an iPhone, no question. That said, I agree with giraffe in his post, except for the camera part; they are not on par with each other, the 950 has a better camera.

nubbe

Got a nice deal on a 550, will probably give it away if it is decent unlike the 535 which had the shittest touch screen I have ever used

JaggedSac

Not really sure how it destroys the 950 in value. They're both high-end flagship devices with bleeding edge hardware. I say this has somebody who will probably also be getting the iPhone SE, but I feel like if anything the 950 is a better value if you are comparing hardware. It has a: higher resolution display, more RAM, MicroSD Support, Qi Charging, Quick Charging, presumably better battery life, better "Selfie" camera and the rear cameras are probably on par with one another and it is also cheaper than the iPhone SE.

Given the components(not design wise, lol) the 950 is the better value. But given value as being relative, W10M is probably a negative value for most, so that could certainly change that equation, lol.

The SE is the best value ever on an iPhone, no question. That said, I agree with giraffe in his post, except for the camera part; they are not on par with each other, the 950 has a better camera.

Yeah, that is a rather silly thing to even try to compare. Main two being camera sensor size and OIS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It looks like I'll be toying with the new Huawei P9 soon enough. It'll be interesting to see the picture quality that comes out from those Leica lenses. Huawei has been doing good so far, but they've been lacking quite a bit in the photo department.

dLMN8R

Yep, my wife's 950 XL takes photos that are stunning. My iPhone 6S Plus takes photos that are merely great.

The ability for the 950 XL to do natural depth of field without needing post-processing is incredible. And its ability in lower-light / dusk is unlike anything I've ever seen:

12356878_10107610001422964_423429676175352932_o.jpg

The above was taken with a simple "point and shoot" on the 950 - no configuring, no changing settings, no post-processing.

I took the same photo above with my iPhone and was so disappointed with the result that I deleted it and kept my wife's instead.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, my wife's 950 XL takes photos that are stunning. My iPhone 6S Plus takes photos that are merely great.

The ability for the 950 XL to do natural depth of field without needing post-processing is incredible. And its ability in lower-light / dusk is unlike anything I've ever seen:

The above was taken with a simple "point and shoot" on the 950 - no configuring, no changing settings, no post-processing.

I took the same photo above with my iPhone and was so disappointed with the result that I deleted it and kept my wife's instead.

Amazing pic

ElNino

Nice shot.

It's funny how often my family and friends ask me to take photos of them with my phone (formally 1020, now 950XL) and send it to them rather than just take a photo with their iPhone. It's not that you can't take good shots with an iPhone (or Android) as you certainly can... but no one I know seems to be able to do it as well as I can with mine (and I'm not a particularly good photographer). To be fair, they always suck taking photos on my DSLR as well to the point where I'd rather setup my tripod than ask them to take a shot of us.

Now if only MS would hurry up and bring back the Panorama and Action modes to the W10M camera app. I've taken some awesome action shots on the 1020 that has really impressed people, and the first question I always get when I post them is what iOS app I used to do it... which makes for an awkward response.

Sordid

I got offered a 950 XL for a good price and I couldn't pass it up, my 1520 lasted less than a month haha. It's only a wee bit smaller but it feels much easier to handle and the Mozo case it came with is great. My biggest surprise is the camera, I thought it'd be pretty similar to the 1520 but it blows it away. Takes pictures much more quickly too.

I've had a few wee niggles with it though, it rebooted randomly twice in the first 2 days. A quick Google search said that wireless AC might be the issue so I connected to my router at 2.4ghz instead and it hasn't rebooted since. I've noticed as well that even though every picture I take is a living image some of them don't animate when I look at them on my phone. They animate okay on my computer if I right click on them in the W10 Photos app and select 'Show as a living image' but I can't find an option for that on mobile. Pretty weird.

Overall though I'm loving it!

Top Bottom