• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

nubbe

Got my 550 and straight out of the box it feels like a quality-ish phone, the plastic casing and screen has a bit of a rough feel to it, just enough to help against fingerprints and feels nice to hold.

The 535 for comparison has a smooth cheap plastic feel and isn't as nice to hold.

The touchscreen is a step up from 535, but not quite a slam dunk. AND 30hz :(
Omg Glance Screen, not even the 930 has that lololol

I would definitely recommend this quality value phone to anyone at around €80
Going to throw away the 535, it’s a piece of shit

joshschw

Oh man, my 1520 just downloaded 14291, I was not ready to jump into Redstone... Oh well, we will see if it is usable, or I'll have to revert.
Cross your fingers!!

NeOak

Oh man, my 1520 just downloaded 14291, I was not ready to jump into Redstone... Oh well, we will see if it is usable, or I'll have to revert.
Cross your fingers!!

Good luck joshschw. I'm not moving from 8.1 Update 2 on my 1520. Might as well jump to the iPhone SE instead :/

joshschw

Good luck joshschw. I'm not moving from 8.1 Update 2 on my 1520. Might as well jump to the iPhone SE instead :/

I have had nothing but great times with 10586 on Win10 - but there's a huge difference between that and early Redstone builds. Ugh. I am hoping it will be okay, but have heard not great stability things, which is fine, it's an early build... I just don't wanna use it ;D

So, after killing their mobile app in favor of a integrated skype experience (that never got even close to being actually integrated in any meaningful way) Ms will do yet another reset on skype now in the form of a universal app XD

At this rate I guess we still won't be getting any proper integration with phone/contacts anytime soon :(

maeh2k

So, after killing their mobile app in favor of a integrated skype experience (that never got even close to being actually integrated in any meaningful way) Ms will do yet another reset on skype now in the form of a universal app XD

At this rate I guess we still won't be getting any proper integration with phone/contacts anytime soon :(

Is Skype even still relevant? All I see/hear people use are WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, ... I only ever hear people bitch about Skype. Messages don't arrive in time or with a notification and video quality/stability are lacking...

Klocker

please tell me what is the difference between insider release preview and fast ring, in regards to the version?

If I roll back my 640 to 8.1 will the retail release be more stable?

Sydle

Check your date and time setting also, last time I have sync problem with my Microsoft account the time/date were off and it won't let me sync.

A hard reset fixed everything.

There have been a few little bugs here and there, but overall I really like it. I hope they start making more universal apps.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

yes i have no idea with skype, i dont think MS knows what they are doing with skype. Make a plan, stick to the plan.

Is Skype even still relevant? All I see/hear people use are WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, ... I only ever hear people bitch about Skype. Messages don't arrive in time or with a notification and video quality/stability are lacking...
yes, people use skype, lots of people actually.

Ironically since switching to android i can now use Microsofts Operations Management Suite app which is available on iOS and Android... but not windows phone. I can do my microsoft related job better on a non microsoft phone. sucks.

What's the Lumia 950's model number for the US? I was looking at possibly buying this phone from B&H and seeing if they'll price match the Microsoftstore at $450. The idea was that they have no tax and will deliver a lot faster than MS since they're based in NY and I am in NJ. Only issue is that the listing says it is the international version, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if that holds true because as far as I can see it is the only version available. NewEgg is selling the same model number and the Microsoftstore doesn't show you any model.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1192640-REG/microsoft_a00026441_lumia_950_rm_1118_32gb.html

Indeed Ms has made skype completely irrelevant , but I use it a lot to make calls, it's so much cheaper than any mobile carrier on my country.

And unsurprisingly, winphone is the worst platform to use skype, specially for calling. The skype experience on win phone compared to android is a joke XD

Klocker

So I took a new 640 with 8.1 and ran windows advisor and it said it is working with providers to get the update out.... is this normal and will take a while or is it that I do nit have a sim card in it?

NeOak

What's the Lumia 950's model number for the US? I was looking at possibly buying this phone from B&H and seeing if they'll price match the Microsoftstore at $450. The idea was that they have no tax and will deliver a lot faster than MS since they're based in NY and I am in NJ. Only issue is that the listing says it is the international version, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if that holds true because as far as I can see it is the only version available. NewEgg is selling the same model number and the Microsoftstore doesn't show you any model.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1192640-REG/microsoft_a00026441_lumia_950_rm_1118_32gb.html

RM-1118 is the global code for the Dual SIM 950.

AT&T's 950 is RM-1104

Single SIM 950 is RM-1105

830 with W10 here. 6tag broke (Instagram Beta refuses to download)and the keyboard is all giving me weird issues in Edge. Oh, and Edge favorites got mangled as well.

Would go back to Android but my Blu phone is stuck on an app update and reset loop.

NeOak

830 with W10 here. 6tag broke (Instagram Beta refuses to download)and the keyboard is all giving me weird issues in Edge. Oh, and Edge favorites got mangled as well.

Would go back to Android but my Blu phone is stuck on an app update and reset loop.
Time for that iOS dip

:p

MCD

Hard reset using Device recovery then try to install 10 all over again. Might help.

JaggedSac

So my 950 came in the mail yesterday. Did the whole setup process, updating all the apps, etc, etc. Saw there was an update available for .164 and started that process. Takes 30 minutes to download it and begin the actual install process which bombs at some point with an error code indicating that some file was corrupt. So I have to then use the recovery tool to fix things. Gets me the latest firmware though, which is nice, but damn if that thing wasn't released in a wild ass state, lol. Works like a charm after the firmware update and getting .164 on there. Camera is beast. Cellular signal is better for me with this phone than the M8 in my office building which is great. Screen is great. Mozo backplate feels great. Iris thing sucks. Haven't tried it after all the updates so maybe it is better, just need to try again. OS is at a very nice level of smoothness too. Happy with my purchase so far. Farted around with the rich capture stuff where it adjusts levels of exposure between flash and no flash and that thing works great from the little bit I toyed with it. Turned off living images because I doubt I'll ever make use of that. Can anyone say whether it is best to have digital stabilization on videos on or off?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So my 950 came in the mail yesterday. Did the whole setup process, updating all the apps, etc, etc. Saw there was an update available for .164 and started that process. Takes 30 minutes to download it and begin the actual install process which bombs at some point with an error code indicating that some file was corrupt. So I have to then use the recovery tool to fix things. Gets me the latest firmware though, which is nice, but damn if that thing wasn't released in a wild ass state, lol. Works like a charm after the firmware update and getting .164 on there. Camera is beast. Cellular signal is better for me with this phone than the M8 in my office building which is great. Screen is great. Mozo backplate feels great. Iris thing sucks. Haven't tried it after all the updates so maybe it is better, just need to try again. OS is at a very nice level of smoothness too. Happy with my purchase so far. Farted around with the rich capture stuff where it adjusts levels of exposure between flash and no flash and that thing works great from the little bit I toyed with it. Turned off living images because I doubt I'll ever make use of that. Can anyone say whether it is best to have digital stabilization on videos on or off?

Awesome, except for the update process.

I just kept living images on, unlike before it is only live if there is clear motion, plus it is built into the jpeg. I find the iris scanner works good if I don't wear my glasses.

JaggedSac

Awesome, except for the update process.

I just kept living images on, unlike before it is only live if there is clear motion, plus it is built into the jpeg. I find the iris scanner works good if I don't wear my glasses.

Is there anymore performance impact to live images? I might turn it back on if there isn't.

Pooya

so I had Terraria on winphone, turns out since an update in Nov, the game just carshes on start up and the developer doesn't care and it's now not downloadable from the store. Anyone has experience with app refunds from MS?

Unfortunately B&H said they couldn't lower their $500 price anymore so I will be holding off on the Lumia 950 purchase until the price comes down some more. Too bad the Microsoft Store wouldn't offer faster free shipping because the main reason I wanted to go with B&H is because they'd ship the phone out sooner and I saw online there is a $50 MS Store Giftcard offer that expires the 31st.

NeOak

Unfortunately B&H said they couldn't lower their $500 price anymore so I will be holding off on the Lumia 950 purchase until the price comes down some more. Too bad the Microsoft Store wouldn't offer faster free shipping because the main reason I wanted to go with B&H is because they'd ship the phone out sooner and I saw online there is a $50 MS Store Giftcard offer that expires the 31st.
They do offer overnight shipping.

Unless you mean shipping date.

MCD

two issues with stable win10 so far:

edge can go batshit crazy and do all kinds of gpu glitches

some live tiles broken. calendar, weather, windows central apps all stuck.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Don't have any edge issues, but my news tile doesn't work. With weather I had to switch to a default location then it worked.hate when live tiles are broken.

Curious about the notifications and live tile session at build.

I'm getting one very annoying issue on my machine that has stable win10 on edge: Very often the page will get stuck. You can scroll it, but no interaction works. You can switch tabs and other pages work as expected even the locked tab works if you go to another address, but the specific page that was locked can only work again if you restart the browser.

Quite annoying, because it happens very often.

joshschw

A few days on redstone builds on my 1520...

Works fine, no redstone specific issues, just buggier. But random come and go bugs with the keyboard mostly.

Even my Band 2 is syncing fine. battery drain is normal.

Don't have any edge issues, but my news tile doesn't work. With weather I had to switch to a default location then it worked.hate when live tiles are broken.

Curious about the notifications and live tile session at build.

Re-pinning has worked for me in the past when they actually stopped working.

From my experience the News tile is just abysmal, not that it doesn't work.

KageMaru

Probably a stupid question but I'm guessing my Icon won't receive any more insider builds because the phone is not on the "official" list?

NeOak

Probably a stupid question but I'm guessing my Icon won't receive any more insider builds because the phone is not on the "official" list?

Nothing after the current one. 10586.X or whatever. So no threshold.

If they add it to the list, then you can get threshold.

KageMaru

Nothing after the current one. 10586.X or whatever. So no threshold.

If they add it to the list, then you can get threshold.

Thanks. Go figure the latest build available to this phone is buggier than the last =(

I really hope the G5 receives good reviews. I'm done with Verizon once I upgrade.

ty_hot

I got an update last week (or the week before that, idk) on my 640 and now it is really bad. whatsapp notifications just dont come up, I have to enter the app so that it gets the messages (and the notification comes as well). camera is slower, my Office Lens (that I used to love) is also not reliable (had to take 5 times a shot to make the pdf.... and then, the system can't open the PDF file because said I didnt have any app for that!).

I want to get rid of it as fast as possible, but it seems nobody wants it in Europe. In Brazil they are quite easy to sell, but here... omg, noone even message my ads. =/

KageMaru

Gabe mentioned that they are still considering adding the Icon to the list.

Thanks, I saw that but I imagine that's dependent on whether or not Verizon plans to push WP10 updates and I have no faith in that company doing the right thing. We're talking about a carrier that killed off their exclusive flagship after 8 months with staff that actively discouraged customers from buying the phone nationwide.

I got an update last week (or the week before that, idk) on my 640 and now it is really bad. whatsapp notifications just dont come up, I have to enter the app so that it gets the messages (and the notification comes as well). camera is slower, my Office Lens (that I used to love) is also not reliable (had to take 5 times a shot to make the pdf.... and then, the system can't open the PDF file because said I didnt have any app for that!).

I want to get rid of it as fast as possible, but it seems nobody wants it in Europe. In Brazil they are quite easy to sell, but here... omg, noone even message my ads. =/

Have you tried a hard-reset yet?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have you tried a hard-reset yet?

Dude's not looking for solutions, he's just here to say the 640 is bad and we should all feel bad cause nobody wants one.

That said, you have the right answer, of course. I wish hard reset would fix the battery drain on my g4, or how about fix the decision by LG to forgo adaptive storage in their 6.0 implementation. Samsung too, while we are at it. Makes no damn sense.

kharma45

Not putting adaptive storage in a high end phone is a smart decision. You don't want fast on board storage and slow, finicky SD cards mixing. Makes sense on low end 8GB devices, not on those with 32GB on board.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not putting adaptive storage in a high end phone is a smart decision. You don't want fast on board storage and slow, finicky SD cards mixing. Makes sense on low end 8GB devices, not on those with 32GB on board.

Your response makes me angry, but I'll try a rational post:

1. Google included the feature in their latest operating system version after previously removing it, maybe they didn't think it was dumb. Adaptive storage, along with doze, were the most talked about features of 6.0

2. You have the option of formatting the drive as external for media only, so nothing is lost in giving the users at least the option of adaptive storage. I'd argue that the users most apt to stick in a large card and format it as internal are knowledgeable of supposed drawbacks.

3. High end Lumia phones like the 950/xl have this option and I don't think that's an issue that the few owners of the device complain about.

4. 32gb is either not enough storage for power users or else LG was being gratuitous in including an SD card slot.

I just don't understand the thinking behind not only defending the withholding of features from users, but actually arguing that it was the right move.

kharma45

Your response makes me angry, but I'll try a rational post:

1. Google included the feature in their latest operating system version after previously removing it, maybe they didn't think it was dumb. Adaptive storage, along with doze, were the most talked about features of 6.0

They'd never had adaptive storage before to my knowledge. It might have been a talked about feature but that's because there was little else in 6.0. It's like searching the settings in WP8.1 U2 being a talked about feature. There was almost fuck all else.

2. You have the option of formatting the drive as external for media only, so nothing is lost in giving the users at least the option of adaptive storage. I'd argue that the users most apt to stick in a large card and format it as internal are knowledgeable of supposed drawbacks.

That is true, but you cannot guarantee you'll not getting a lot of lay users thinking it sounds good to have one big pool of storage.

3. High end Lumia phones like the 950/xl have this option and I don't think that's an issue that the few owners of the device complain about.

No they haven't. They can put apps and media onto the SD card, this is different. This includes system data too from the OS. It's totally different from what's been offered on Android before or on WP at present. Equating them to being the same shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what has been implemented.

If anything it's close to the mess that WP7 was with SD cards http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/17/windows-phone-7s-microsd-mess-the-full-story-and-how-nokia-ca/

4. 32gb is either not enough storage for power users or else LG was being gratuitous in including an SD card slot.

They included it for the same reason Samsung brought it back, it's a popular feature.

I just don't understand the thinking behind not only defending the withholding of features from users, but actually arguing that it was the right move.

It's the right move. It'll work on low end devices where space is at a premium. Here's an example of where it's not event hat well implemented. You can't transfer apps to SD card unless it's adopted storage on 6.0 yet Google Play Music / Movies won't save to the SD card if it is adopted storage.

You have no control over your fast internal storage anymore - it is not visible anywhere and you cannot create folders etc. on it for your stuff.

If you have a phone with 32 GB or 64 GB of internal fast flash storage, you are essentially not using it anymore for saving your apps and games that will benefit from it. So for users who paid a lot of money to buy premium phones, just the act of formatting their external SD cards as "Internal" mode, will be depriving them of access to their fast expensive internal storage.

Perhaps in the future with $50 android devices, there may be devices which have less than 8 GB of internal storage. For these it would be great to plug in cheap external storage - an extra 8 GB for $5 or so - and expand space for apps and games. Switching to "Internal" for a measly 32 GB external SD card may wind up depriving you of access to the vast fast internal storage you have already paid for and have on your phone.

This was a feature that was aimed at Android One devices, not flagships like the G5 and GS7. I really don't see any benefit to using it outside of cheap, shit Android phones.

Top Bottom