• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

Not putting adaptive storage in a high end phone is a smart decision. You don't want fast on board storage and slow, finicky SD cards mixing. Makes sense on low end 8GB devices, not on those with 32GB on board.

Eh, removing consumer friendly features are dumb decisions.

Easy to see why corporations pour a ton of money in marketing to justify lost features.

I hope whatever next phone produced will keep the battery user replaceable.

MCD

First I though, that makes sense, the 950/XL are the only win10 native phones, but then I remembered of the 550... So WTF?

Why that crap ass phone can have that feature and more powerful ones can't?

same reason why glance is not available in the 930 and why there is no double tap to wake for 950.

NeOak

The consumer friendly version is still there, where the SD card is portable.

No, the consumer friendly version is letting you choose. Instead, your version of "consumer friendly" means, $100 more for 64GB, $200 more for 128GB. Just like Apple.

toff74

Can anyone here help?

Last Thursday the wife took a number of photos and videos on her Lumia 950. Quite important they were too. Out little boy walking for the first time!

She managed to send a photo to me via text then suddenly all the photos and videos from that day became greyed out and with a circled exclamation mark with the message 'cant find file - has it been moved or renamed' or something along those lines.

She is on the .164 official release and has no idea what the technical preview is (why should she?)

She just want a phone that works and the Lumia 950 isn't that phone. I cant express the upset this is creating. So I hope someone here can offer help.

Thank you.

NeOak

Can anyone here help?

Last Thursday the wife took a number of photos and videos on her Lumia 950. Quite important they were too. Out little boy walking for the first time!

She managed to send a photo to me via text then suddenly all the photos and videos from that day became greyed out and with a circled exclamation mark with the message 'cant find file - has it been moved or renamed' or something along those lines.

She is on the .164 official release and has no idea what the technical preview is (why should she?)

She just want a phone that works and the Lumia 950 isn't that phone. I cant express the upset this is creating. So I hope someone here can offer help.

Thank you.

Have you checked it with a PC? Like, browsing the phone to see if they are there.

kharma45

it should be an option.

No, the consumer friendly version is letting you choose. Instead, your version of "consumer friendly" means, $100 more for 64GB, $200 more for 128GB. Just like Apple.

I saw someone make the point it could've sat within developer options on the G5 and GS7 so if people really wanted it the option was there, and I could agree with that option.

Also, you're not going to be paying that for storage. The majority of people will take up space on their phones with music, photo and video. That can still all be stored on SD and stored cheaply. Keep thing that will benefit from NAND storage on that, and benefit from the speed and reliability.

Paganmoon

Spotify must've found some old code they hadn't released, cause I just got another update. nothings changed, but the version number keeps going up! :)

hadareud

The Translator
Didn't know that there was competition.

Maybe the competition is "don't record and photograph every shit you do and please don't post it on the internet".

If so, that's the one I'll buy.

Paganmoon

Anyone go good recommendations for one-time purchase games for WP? Got Lara Croft Go and the like, but really missing other games. Most everything else seems to be "free" and riddled with IAP, or paid, and still riddled with IAP.

Can anyone here help?

Thank you.

Well that sucks, I'm really starting to think the phones could have storage issues. Not sure if it's hardware or software that's the culprit though.

Have you tried checking your OneDrive to see if the pictures were backed up there?

Lazaro

Anyone go good recommendations for one-time purchase games for WP? Got Lara Croft Go and the like, but really missing other games. Most everything else seems to be "free" and riddled with IAP, or paid, and still riddled with IAP.

Spectra 8Bit Racing
DuckTales Remastered
Riptide GP2
Chimpact
The Last Door: Collector's Edition
HITMAN GO
Halo Spartan Strike and Assault
Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta Run.

EA has some good Windows Phone games like Tetris and Real Racing.

There were alot of better games pre Windows Phone 8 but the only ones I remeber are:
Corona and Dodonpachi Maximum

kharma45

Spectra 8Bit Racing
DuckTales Remastered
Riptide GP2
Chimpact
The Last Door: Collector's Edition
HITMAN GO
Halo Spartan Strike and Assault
Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta Run.

EA has some good Windows Phone games like Tetris and Real Racing.

There were alot of better games pre Windows Phone 8 but the only ones I remeber are:
Corona and Dodonpachi Maximum

Distinct lack of monument valley

toff74

Well that sucks, I'm really starting to think the phones could have storage issues. Not sure if it's hardware or software that's the culprit though.

Have you tried checking your OneDrive to see if the pictures were backed up there?

There were stuck uploading then vanished after a unprompted reboot. Also I've not tried looking at the card through a PC as I was hoping for an on the phone solution.

I cant say enough how much these phones (950 and 950XL) don't seem stable enough in any guise for everyday use. The wife had a 640 prior to the 950 and would go back to it in a heartbeat if we hadn't paid as much as we did or these 950's.

Pako was free, with 1 IAP to unlock the lot last time I checked. Really great time-waster.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I cant say enough how much these phones (950 and 950XL) don't seem stable enough in any guise for everyday use. The wife had a 640 prior to the 950 and would go back to it in a heartbeat if we hadn't paid as much as we did or these 950's.

I've posted before about my terrible experiences with the camera and important moments, so I agree. The new slow ring build had been stable but I still get ill timed reboots.

JaggedSac

GoPro no longer supporting Windows phones

From Windows 10 is a top priority to IDGAF.

Sigh.

What support does GoPro have for phones? Isn't it just a video camera?

There were stuck uploading then vanished after a unprompted reboot. Also I've not tried looking at the card through a PC as I was hoping for an on the phone solution.

Using an SD card? Mine was giving me trouble so I ended up taking it out. Didn't seem to like something that was on it and I couldn't figure out how to format it.

toff74

I've posted before about my terrible experiences with the camera and important moments, so I agree. The new slow ring build had been stable but I still get ill timed reboots.

I have to say, these have been my worst winmo experiences ever. Id rather not have the features than have them there, but not working right.

The phone was on official build .164

I was told (by ms support) that I should try syncing the account, checking auto upload was enabled and finally checking onedrive on a PC. if they weren't there then they were lost!

Also, told that 'as windows 10 is new I should expect issues'. my reply was.. surely over your past 9 attempts at windows it should be right by now. I was greeted with silence.

Anyhow. I feel so bad pushing the missus towards windows phone. its been nothing but a nightmare from day 1.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love the platform, obviously. I love the 950's camera, when it works. I love live tiles. I love the keyboard. Texting on WP. Apps on SD. The day to day stuff. But honestly, even in the darkest moments of 7 and 8 and 8.1, the phones were mostly rock solid, and these builds simply are not. They are improving, no doubt, but it's very difficult to recommend this OS to someone. My mom is a light user and it works fine for her, but my sisters would not be happy with the lack of apps or the camera issues.

I love the platform, obviously. I love the 950's camera, when it works. I love live tiles. I love the keyboard. Texting on WP. Apps on SD. The day to day stuff. But honestly, even in the darkest moments of 7 and 8 and 8.1, the phones were mostly rock solid, and these builds simply are not. They are improving, no doubt, but it's very difficult to recommend this OS to someone. My mom is a light user and it works fine for her, but my sisters would not be happy with the lack of apps or the camera issues.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy that the 920 I gave my mom isn't getting the W10M update.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Which is why I'm perfectly happy that the 920 I gave my mom isn't getting the W10M update.

I think by late summer or fall wm10 will be the clearly superior OS version, and by then it would be easier to recommend. That's a year after they launched to consumers though, that's crazy. I mean, I'm getting almost weekly updates to core apps, and that makes me feel good about the support behind the platform, but it can also be disconcerting to know how raw these apps were, and some still are.

JaggedSac

I think by late summer or fall wm10 will be the clearly superior OS version, and by then it would be easier to recommend. That's a year after they launched to consumers though, that's crazy. I mean, I'm getting almost weekly updates to core apps, and that makes me feel good about the support behind the platform, but it can also be disconcerting to know how raw these apps were, and some still are.

Well, you don't really have to worry about support from MS' side. Most of their stuff will be UWPs in the future so desktop updates will get reflected in mobile too.

NeOak

I have to say, these have been my worst winmo experiences ever. Id rather not have the features than have them there, but not working right.

I was told (by ms support) that I should try syncing the account, checking auto upload was enabled and finally checking onedrive on a PC. if they weren't there then they were lost!

Also, told that 'as windows 10 is new I should expect issues'. my reply was.. surely over your past 9 attempts at windows it should be right by now. I was greeted with silence.

Anyhow. I feel so bad pushing the missus towards windows phone. its been nothing but a nightmare from day 1.
Time for that Galaxy S7, I'm afraid.

clav

Final build of 8.1 is excellent in performance. Really flies on a 640.

Haven't updated to 10 yet.

Heard the redstone builds are better than threshold although they do have bigger bugs.

Those characteristics seem to parallel what I think of desktop/laptop/tablet Windows 10.

Sordid

My missus used the upgrade advisor app to put W10 onto her 640 XL. It installed .107 then updated to .164. All of her texts (except from 1 lonely text from 2 months ago) disappeared and despite having her Hotmail account as the primary account some apps couldn't see the account anymore so her contacts disappeared and her e-mails wouldn't sync. Adding the account manually in each app didn't work so she had to do a hard reset. Luckily the backup I made restored everything fine and the phone is flying on W10 now but what a horrible introduction to the new OS.

My 950 XL has been fine thankfully, haven't lost any images or anything like some folk have and my random reboots haven't returned since I deleted my 5ghz wireless ac connection from my network list. 5ghz wifi seems like a weird thing to cause random reboots but avoiding it seems to be working anyway!

JaggedSac

My 950 XL has been fine thankfully, haven't lost any images or anything like some folk have and my random reboots haven't returned since I deleted my 5ghz wireless ac connection from my network list. 5ghz wifi seems like a weird thing to cause random reboots but avoiding it seems to be working anyway!

Been smooth as silk for me on .164. Hopefully it doesn't degrade with time.

I'm likely done with WP. I have the latest build on my 830 and it randomly dials Cortana while in my car, frequently. Apps like 6tag and Amazing Weather, use to be excellent, are now broken.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I understand the frustration. Unacceptable from flagship devices.

I just don't know what the fucking fuck is going on at MS.

Their decades of software expertise just stops working when it comes to mobile OS. This isn't about just your Camera but apps like Music, Movie, Photo, standard notifications etc. They can't even get this shit stable enough in last 7 fucking years.

What's wrong with those apps? I use both daily.
They no longer work on my 830.

Sad cuz we all love the platform but shit like attaching pics to MMS, the camera app, it's hit or miss. These are basic functions, not 3rd party apps.

Android is honestly way more stable than WP these days.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird, my 950XL used to creak on the bottom back od the cover, doesn't anymore though.

Sucks that some people are having some big problems. The slow ring build I'm on has been great, almost 8.1 great (well better I guess since on this hardware apps load fast and no resuming).

Even on the newest insider build keyboard on edge has been just terrible. Performance issues with key presses not registering, and a huge delay until the typed letters appear, cursor handling often gets broken as well...

Even in apps it's not perfect either, I often get to an state where it will only accept a single word being input, unless you move the cursor somewhere else and then back on where you want to type, until a while after the suggestions appear again and it goes back to normal.

I've had those issues since the very first win10 mobile build I tried and I can't even count how many times I reported them in the Feedback app. That's months with an issue that affects basic phone usage like typing XD

Oh, that happens in the desktop as well, though in a much much much much lesser degree and way less often.

joshschw

Okay, BUILD keynote was very nice IMO.

I am posting though because my laptop just had 10 app updates including one for the Store itself. It updated the other 9 FIRST and then it did the Store! We are making progress!

Even on the newest insider build keyboard on edge has been just terrible. Performance issues with key presses not registering, and a huge delay until the typed letters appear, cursor handling often gets broken as well....

Redstone? Redstone keyboard is wonky... It was always fine for me on 10586 though, certainly once they fixed the Edge typing bugs at some point

JaggedSac

Skype was all they showed for mobile. Although, given the nature of the platform, all of what they showed regarding the platform could technically be about mobile.

Top Bottom