• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I got the chance to speak to Windows chief Terry Myerson briefly after today's keynote, and it's clear Microsoft focus isn't on phones this year.

"We're fully committed to that 4-inch screen, there will be a time for it to be our focus, but right now it's part of the family but it's not the core of where I hope to generate developer interest over the next year," explains Myerson. "There's no lack of recognition to realize how important that form factor is, but for Microsoft with Windows and for our platform it's the wrong place for us to lead."

I pushed Myerson on his focus for Windows growth, and he was refreshingly honest about Microsoft's own mobile share. "If you wanted to reach a lot of phone customers, Windows Phone isn't the way to do it," admits Myerson. "If you want to reach a lot of Windows customers, then this is the largest install base of 9 to 30-inch screens. If you wanted to do new and exciting things, then the Xbox and HoloLens is the place to have a discussion."

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Not anyone's focus this year or next year or ever

I got the chance to speak to Windows chief Terry Myerson briefly after today's keynote, and it's clear Microsoft focus isn't on phones this year.

"We're fully committed to that 4-inch screen, there will be a time for it to be our focus, but right now it's part of the family but it's not the core of where I hope to generate developer interest over the next year," explains Myerson. "There's no lack of recognition to realize how important that form factor is, but for Microsoft with Windows and for our platform it's the wrong place for us to lead."

I pushed Myerson on his focus for Windows growth, and he was refreshingly honest about Microsoft's own mobile share. "If you wanted to reach a lot of phone customers, Windows Phone isn't the way to do it," admits Myerson. "If you want to reach a lot of Windows customers, then this is the largest install base of 9 to 30-inch screens. If you wanted to do new and exciting things, then the Xbox and HoloLens is the place to have a discussion."

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Not anyone's focus this year or next year or ever

Holy fuck.

Well, just today I was looking at Android and iPhones, so maybe it's time. Maybe...it's time.

5lgmsgV.gif

clav

Basically, if no one builds UWP apps, then Windows is doomed forever on mobile and is slowly dying on desktop/laptop/tablets.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Someone tell Gabe to stop pushing the button for new builds.

Edit: On that note I'm getting the extra space issue in edge again on this new slow ring build.

Basically, if no one builds UWP apps, then Windows is doomed forever on mobile and is slowly dying on desktop/laptop/tablets.

And because no one is building these apps, Microsoft allows everyone to port their existing apps to UWP, making them not universal in that process. The irony...

Yeah, I'm officially jumping ship. Doesn't mean I won't come back, but if MS isn't focusing on improving the phone situation this year (and instead is okay with the idea that maybe it will get better by proxy), I'm out.

The good news is, I can finally post this gif and mean it!!!

geeQBO7.gif

Klocker

From Myerson interview

This realistic approach realizes where Microsoft's strengths are: its domination of the PC market. That doesn't mean Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone, it's just not a focus for this year. Who knows what that really means for the future, but Myerson hinted that it's not the end. "We're going to do some cool things with phones, but this year phones are an important part of our family but not the tip of the spear."
There's still hope!

Porting to UWP doesn't make them universal??

I'm not sure if you're serious or just being giga, but no. Just porting them to UWP or publishing them in that container doesn't make dem universal. If people really wanted to write UWP apps, they'd do it without the need of these bridges.

That interview also kinda confirms that the next wave of hardware is not coming this year, unless they only pushed the phones back. But rumors from Paul and Mary Jo are saying that the Redstone 2 update has been pushed back from Fall to spring 2017, because hardware isn't going to be ready.

clav

Porting to UWP doesn't make them universal??

You're probably trolling as usual. I'll still respond as if you weren't.

Sorta. UWP is still somewhat of a ubiquitous marketing term that Microsoft is pushing hard.

I read a few tutorials, and for WP, there's still a SDK for each major build. Right now for mobile, it's 10240 and 10586. Gee, I wonder why those numbers sound so familiar.

I don't know if anything changed today.

Apps running on Xbox should be expected since it has x86 architecture. Coders who recall the OG Xbox days really enjoyed that.

And because no one is building these apps, Microsoft allows everyone to port their existing apps to UWP, making them not universal in that process. The irony...

There's more of an effort now to release UWP apps. Better than when Windows 8 was released.

why is it so difficult to just produce and support a stable product.

I mean I really dont need anything groundbreaking, I like what I have I just need it to work.

giga

I'm not sure if you're serious or just being giga, but no. Just porting them to UWP or publishing them in that container doesn't make dem universal. If people really wanted to write UWP apps, they'd do it without the need of these bridges.
I was being 100% serious, as I didn't follow any liveblogs at all. So I just saw headlines that devs will be able to convert their win32 apps to UWP. I assumed UWP meant universal.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys Lumia 950XL $850 CAD - 10% student discount + 13% Tax = $865 CAD

worth it or not?

Don't want to get iPhone. Interested in Nexus 6P but not sure if the camera will live up to the quality.

worth it or not?

Don't want to get iPhone. Interested in Nexus 6P but not sure if the camera will live up to the quality.
Honestly I would be avoiding the Nexus 6P just based off of the bending issues it has had. Reading new comments every other day on XDA and Reddit about how somebody's phone bent despite the fact it was being babied and Huawei's customer service basically says to go pound so completely turned me off of owning one.

ElNino

worth it or not?

That's what I did (student discount and all). I'm pretty happy with the phone, but as always with Windows Phone/Mobile there is always the thought that maybe I'd be happier with something else... but I stick with it. Camera has been good, both for photos and videos but I really miss the panoramic and action shot modes from my 1020. SD card support is great and I never need to worry about my photos, videos or music.

Screen is nice and I don't find it too hard to hold, but one-handed use isn't easy. Voice and speaker quality is much better than it was for me on the 1020. Battery life is ok; some days (like today) I cruise through a day of moderate use with almost 60% battery left after 15+ hours, while other days I'm down to 20% for no real reason.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Microsoft?
Their Android apps are better than the WP version
just saying :p

I know this is a common trope, but that's just not true for the majority of the MS apps that are on both platforms. Cortana, OneDrive, and the MSN apps are better on WP. The Office apps are comparable. Outlook is rapidly improving on both and I find them about equal save for the rendering issue that I don't mind as much as others do. Stuff like Office lens, smartglass etc. get updated on both platforms and are a wash. Android has some garage apps we don't have, and some android specific stuff like lock screen and launchers that aren't relevant to WP.

The sad thing is that just a couple of months I was still hyped about a potential Surface Phone, but I cannot bring myself to care any more.

Microsoft needs to fix its shit ASAP.

Other than a metal frame, what would a Surface Phone bring to the table that could give Windows Phone another life?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Other than a metal frame, what would a Surface Phone bring to the table that could give Windows Phone another life?

High end specs, metal frame, a good camera, maybe stylus support and stylus-centric apps. That's all I ask.

A stylus would be hugely important for me and would be using a Galaxy Note if it weren't for Samsung's janktacular software. TouchWiz isn't half bad these days, but the stylus apps... Jesus.

ElNino

High end specs, metal frame, a good camera, maybe stylus support and stylus-centric apps. That's all I ask.

A stylus would be hugely important for me and would be using a Galaxy Note if it weren't for Samsung's janktacular software. TouchWiz isn't half bad these days, but the stylus apps... Jesus.
Yeah, a stylus is one addition to the 950XL that I would have liked. If I could markup a doc/PDF in Word/Onenote/etc on my Surface Book and then view and continue to edit it on the phone that would be useful.

Or even being able to save screenshots and then mark them up on the phone.

nubbe

I know this is a common trope, but that's just not true for the majority of the MS apps that are on both platforms. Cortana, OneDrive, and the MSN apps are better on WP. The Office apps are comparable. Outlook is rapidly improving on both and I find them about equal save for the rendering issue that I don't mind as much as others do. Stuff like Office lens, smartglass etc. get updated on both platforms and are a wash. Android has some garage apps we don't have, and some android specific stuff like lock screen and launchers that aren't relevant to WP.

I got my Nexus 5X yesterday and have been playing around with it for a bit

Microsoft apps have a much better synergy, and with the functions in Android, like Chromecast and Onedrive
Hell, I can even cloud print without any problems, WP only support very specific printers

The Outlook app is much better, Mail, calendar, onedrive files and contacts are just there and function in great synergy

I do miss Cortana since her functionality is to be an assistant while OK Google is about searching data

Using Android over WP for productivity does feel like a relief in quite a few ways

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When I had my G4 not long ago, the Outlook Calender app wasn't good. Prefer the WP version. Groove isn't near as good as well, which is important for me.

Top Bottom