• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Got my Lumina 1020 last night and its the first windows phone I have owned. Switched over from an Iphone. I love this thing. Downloaded Cyan and have almost every app I had on my iphone. Twitch is the only thing missing.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Got my Lumina 1020 last night and its the first windows phone I have owned. Switched over from an Iphone. I love this thing. Downloaded Cyan and have almost every app I had on my iphone. Twitch is the only thing missing.

LiveGaming works well.

NeOak

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/21/nokia-lumia-930-review/

Nokia

Lumia 930

Pros
•Top specs with strong performance to match
•Excellent display
•Fantastic camera
•Good battery life

Cons
•Lacking in standout design features
•Premium price

Summary

The Lumia 930 is arguably the best Windows Phone on the market, with a brilliant camera and top-end specs. It's also an improvement over the US version, the Lumia Icon, thanks to broader LTE band support and a free wireless charger in the box.

ib2nBp1AfN9LWa.gif

Fucking Verizon exclusivity.

This. Pretty sure we will be only getting the 730 and 830 though. You can buy the 930 from this place out of Edmonton, but I don't have the cash to pony up.

How much is it there? Did a quick Google search for websites selling it in Canada and it's about $700. There's Craigslist but I'd never drop $600 on a cell phone from there.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The increase in usability provided by the new notification center has made WP ten times more tolerable.

Not exaggerating at all. The new browser is also several orders of magnitude better.

Prez

The increase in usability provided by the new notification center has made WP ten times more tolerable.

Not exaggerating at all. The new browser is also several orders of magnitude better.

Looks like I picked the right time to buy a Windows Phone then. Only 512MB RAM though. Performance is Great now, but I hope It stays that way with future updates.

Btw why does My Phone randomly put the First letter of some words in capitals?

Looks like I picked the right time to buy a Windows Phone then. Only 512MB RAM though. Performance is Great now, but I hope It stays that way with future updates.

Btw why does My Phone randomly put the First letter of some words in capitals?
It does it at the beginning of sentences and proper nouns for mine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
should get my 930 tomorrow. Went for white in the end instead of orange. Coming from a red 920 which has had 8.1 for a little while in the dev preview.

Assuming I sign in with the same MS account, it'll sync up all my apps and settings right? Don't need to do anything special.

Not sure what to do with my 920. Any good uses as a non-sim wifi only device? have an ipad for general use. maybe use it as a car-based podcast player, I can pick up my home wifi from the driveway and pocket casts seems decent at updating regularly.

maeh2k

Assuming I sign in with the same MS account, it'll sync up all my apps and settings right? Don't need to do anything special..

Yes. It works really well. To be sure you can check beforehand if your 920 is set up to sync apps and settings.

Prez

Are you looking for anything specifically?

Not really, I've been digging through the store and there's not much that appeals to me. So far I really like Major Mayhem and Star Wars: Tiny Death Star. The last one's really addicting though a bit too much micromanaging for my taste.

How are Civilization and Super Monkey Ball?

KageMaru

My buddy picked up the Icon, didn't realize it's now free with an upgrade at Verizon. Though he may need to take it back because he can't get a good signal and keeps dropping calls. He claims he was able to use a signal booster antenna in his last two phones but he was able to take the backs off of those. Any suggestions? He loves the phone so far but can't keep it if he can't fix the signal problem.

Not really, I've been digging through the store and there's not much that appeals to me. So far I really like Major Mayhem and Star Wars: Tiny Death Star. The last one's really addicting though a bit too much micromanaging for my taste.

How are Civilization and Super Monkey Ball?

There's a demo for each of those games. I tried civilization a long time ago and it seemed like a good mobile port. Never tried super monkey ball but I remember reading the second one is much better than the first. Badland has been enjoyable so far for me. There is a decent selection of apps and games depending on what you're looking for. Asphalt 8 and GT racing 2 are excellent racing games. Nova 3, Modern Combat 4 & 5, Halo Spartan Assault, and Crimson Dragon are good shooters of various types. Final Fantasy 3, Dragon's Blade 1 & 2, Spectral Souls, and Chaos Rings are good RPGs. Plenty of choose your own adventure type games like Zombie High. Plenty of strategy games too such as Heroes of Order and Chaos, Cloud Raiders, and age of sorcery.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
david pierce at The Verge said:
(the iPhone 5s) camera is best-in-class, an 8-megapixel shooter that takes crisp and clear photos that no other cellphone camera has ever been able to replicate.

Mr. Pierce is trolling me hard now. I want to reach through the webpage and slap the guy, lol.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Weird. My phone is downloading ANOTHER update. This is the third one since Cyan became available for the local version of the 920.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Anyone had issues with embedded videos? It was working fine but now they don't work and they display a page failed to load message where the video should be. I can't watch the embedded video above for example without it loading the link.

I had a small (~700 mb) update the other day. I'm on the dev preview of WP 8.1, but my phone does feel noticeably smoother now. I was having a lot of sluggishness.

Prez

Is there any way of preventing certain apps or tabs in the browser to close when you're going to another app/tab? They always close on my phone and refresh when I go back to them (WP8.1, 512MB RAM).

NeOak

Is there any way of preventing certain apps or tabs in the browser to close when you're going to another app/tab? They always close on my phone and refresh when I go back to them (WP8.1, 512MB RAM).
No. That's how they do "unlimited tabs"

Prez

No. That's how they do "unlimited tabs"

So just to be sure, there's absolutely no way I can stay in a chat room in one tab while using another tab?

Also what are the advantages of closing apps in the background? It just saves battery life? It seems kind of odd to me that I can't even keep only 2 apps active at the same time.

I was just thinking about the lack of Back-to-School advertising that MS is doing. I think last year they did some advertising with W8 but I haven't seen any this year (though I have seen ads for the XB1). Kind of a missed opportunity to showcase WP, Surface Pro 3, and W8.1 working together.

hwalker84

Have any of you since Cyan had the app not surviving reboot/OS update issue?

When Cyan installed 3 apps (Facebook Beta, Stop the music, and Vine) all say "installing" and never finished. The apps are completely unusable. I removed them and reinstalled them. Facebook being the worst as i have to link a lot of people. Finally decided to get back into the dev preview and the same thing happened to these same 3 apps. Lumia 1520.

Flowers any way to force an app to reinstall even though it's installed?

edit: Just uninstalled and reinstalled for a second time this week and moved to the phones internal storage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes. It works really well. To be sure you can check beforehand if your 920 is set up to sync apps and settings.

Shit, it needs a nano SIM...

I'm hoping either a phone shop tomorrow will chop it down, otherwise a trip to the local unlocking guy in the market should do it.

Restored from my 920 backup just fine. As a bonus it came with another wireless charger (the smaller circle one) so I can use that in my office area.

Top Bottom