• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

why is it so difficult to just produce and support a stable product.

I mean I really dont need anything groundbreaking, I like what I have I just need it to work.

Agreed. Just keep updating older phones like the icon and I will be happy. I hate that every single time I hit the internet button it takes me to the all apps list. It is such a small thing but it is also incredibly annoying. I am going to wind up with an android phone soon and
I dont want that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, my outlook contacts are buggered for some reason on my phone.

Edit: Fixed. Removed the account, added again, went to the people hub settings and made sure it synced properly

Sydle

I got the chance to speak to Windows chief Terry Myerson briefly after today's keynote, and it's clear Microsoft focus isn't on phones this year.

"We're fully committed to that 4-inch screen, there will be a time for it to be our focus, but right now it's part of the family but it's not the core of where I hope to generate developer interest over the next year," explains Myerson. "There's no lack of recognition to realize how important that form factor is, but for Microsoft with Windows and for our platform it's the wrong place for us to lead."

I pushed Myerson on his focus for Windows growth, and he was refreshingly honest about Microsoft's own mobile share. "If you wanted to reach a lot of phone customers, Windows Phone isn't the way to do it," admits Myerson. "If you want to reach a lot of Windows customers, then this is the largest install base of 9 to 30-inch screens. If you wanted to do new and exciting things, then the Xbox and HoloLens is the place to have a discussion."

Windows 10 Mobile |OT| Not anyone's focus this year or next year or ever

Wow at the honesty.

My 640XL has been working flawlessly with W10 mobile, so I'll stick with it for now. Might make the jump to iOS or Android later this year though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Microsoft apps have a much better synergy, and with the functions in Android, like Chromecast and Onedrive

Can you explain the synergy comment and how its superior on Android? Also, OneDrive, my contacts, files, and my calendar are all there in Outlook on WM10. Last time I used Outlook on Android, the contacts were stuck in there, they weren't available in the default contacts app. That's not synergy.

nubbe

Can you explain the synergy comment and how its superior on Android? Also, OneDrive, my contacts, files, and my calendar are all there in Outlook on WM10. Last time I used Outlook on Android, the contacts were stuck in there, they weren't available in the default contacts app. That's not synergy.

the synergy between Web, search, filesystem, SMB network drives, cloud drives, chromecast and print are just better than windows phone.
I would guess that my main issue is with print, web and search on WP, I can simply execute my actions better on android.

In marshmallow you need to give the Outlook app permission to sync contacts
It works :p
XalQ6iY.jpg

MJPIA

Just been using OneDrive while I've tried to figure it out but on my 1020 clicking on the photos app leads to a blank screen.
Trying to open it from the app bar seems to make it clear than it's not even trying to open the app.
It's not doing anything other than making the screen blank.
You can still tap the screen to open other apps you can't see.
I am on W10 and was for at least 4 months before having this issue.
I've been through 2 updates with the broken photo app.
Having a awesome camera but not being able to view anything until uploaded to OneDrive kinda sucks.
Anyone ever had this happen?

Paganmoon

One thing I'll really miss about Windows 10 Mobile: the way Groove Music is incapable of background tasks. I love how I have to not only keep the app open, but keep the screen from locking in order to download music. Amazing!

JaggedSac

One thing I'll really miss about Windows 10 Mobile: the way Groove Music is incapable of background tasks. I love how I have to not only keep the app open, but keep the screen from locking in order to download music. Amazing!

They just announced a big change for background processing. Likely driven by Bone background music needs. No need for tasks anymore.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Lol, I had a 200 plus song playlist that took forever to download. My wife's iPhone is taking forever to upload her pics to onedrive, we even left it overnight plugged in next to the router. I think it's meant to manage battery life and it just closes the process off.

Lol, I had a 200 plus song playlist that took forever to download. My wife's iPhone is taking forever to upload her pics to onedrive, we even left it overnight plugged in next to the router. I think it's meant to manage battery life and it just closes the process off.

You'd think the product/app designers would account for "what if it's plugged into a charger?" scenario.

Or when you press play on a music, and immediately locks the screen, and afterwards when you go check you unlock the screen and immediately starts playing XD

Or onenote not syncing properly in background, which is very terrible btw.

They just announced a big change for background processing. Likely driven by Bone background music needs. No need for tasks anymore.

I haven't watched that session yet, but the description seems great.

Nice.

well, fuck you too Microsoft...

Edit: Functions currently locked behind Cortana:
Right click and search in Edge
Read/Answer SMS on your PC
Windows 10 Mobile Quiet Hours (Seriously, what the fuck?)
Universal Dismiss of notifications.

What else have I missed?
What the fuck? I don't even have Cortana in my country and I really doubt we will.

JaggedSac

The app2app stuff they are showing directly came about from Smartglass. Interesting that these Xbox things are rolling into Windows proper.

Paganmoon

What the fuck? I don't even have Cortana in my country and I really doubt we will.

That's the major reason I go on a rant every now and then here. Cortana isn't and most likely will never be available in Sweden, and Microsoft is locking OS features behind another service. It's idiotic, no two ways about it.

The reason given for no Cortana in Sweden so far is localization. Swedes are pretty good at English, we don't need it localized to our language. Then there's the service localization, yeah, I'm not seeing Cortana ever being able to recommend me a restaurant in my town anyway, there's hardly any info on Yelp, so not expecting it from Cortana. So what kind of localization are we waiting for?

It's a bullshit reason, (hey, anyone remember the "localization" argument for Xbox One not getting released in Tier 2 countries? that turned out to be so true right? Xbox One is so localized now...), and I don't see why they don't just release Cortana here, and if they are so adamant about not releasing it, why the fuck are they locking features behind it?

Now, I could get Cortana on my phone, change the language settings to English, and then change the Region setting to US, voila, Cortana. But I will no longer have access to purchased games/music etc. from my local regions store. I'll also no longer receive updates for local apps (banking apps for instance). Nice right?

If they're so afraid about "first impressions" that they don't want to release an "unfinished product" in Sweden (and again, I never expect it to be "finished" for Sweden anyway), at least make it so those on Insider Preview have full access to it. We're testing out an OS that can fuck with our phone at any given time, we're beyond first impressions anyway.

geez, I wound myself up with that one...

</Rant>

Agreed. Just keep updating older phones like the icon and I will be happy. I hate that every single time I hit the internet button it takes me to the all apps list. It is such a small thing but it is also incredibly annoying. I am going to wind up with an android phone soon and
I dont want that.

yeah, yesterday my phone decided to notify me of every email I have as if it were new.

my phone spent 3 solid minutes doing this as I cleared the notifications.

Everdred

Bought a Lumia 950XL today, absolutely love it so far. I also have a Nexus 6P (I'll sell it if I really love my XL) but I came back to Windows Mobile for continuum. I'll be able to hook my phone up to my work computer and get some personal stuff done at work without management making a fuss because they won't see a tablet/laptop on my desk.

I have been on Android since 8.1 went down the toilet but they have come along way since then. I'm not a big app guy and luckily all the apps I use on Android are here.

I don't feel like Windows Mobile is dying. It's part of Windows 10 now and as long as they keep promoting Universal Apps I think we'll be OK. The OS will continue to get updated in the background with their work on desktop.

While I'm here, anything I should really look into or take advantage of that wasn't around a year ago?

Current Apps:

Milchjon

On Topic:

What's the best Android choice on a somewhat tight budget and with camera and battery life as a priority?

My 920 is finally getting near unusable and I'm wondering whether I should just get a LG G4...

Any better ideas?

Paganmoon

On Topic:

What's the best Android choice on a somewhat tight budget and with camera and battery life as a priority?

My 920 is finally getting near unusable and I'm wondering whether I should just get a LG G4...

Any better ideas?

On-topic, asking about android in the WP OT. that hurts.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On Topic:

LG G4 is not a good choice if battery is a priority. That's probably it's only major weakness. Battery on android is a problem in general aside from the large Samsung phones.

On Topic:

Any better ideas?

Depends how much the G4 would cost you, and what you're looking for in a phone.

clav

On Topic:

Any better ideas?

Nexus 5X through Google Fi. $200 for 16 GB.

clav

Well, I know and trust the people in here better :D

I'm honestly out of the loop when it comes to Android.

Budget would be around 350 euros, I'd say.

In Germany, btw.

Took a look around Amazon's Germany store.

Those two phones suggested so far fit in that range. Saw the 32 GB Nexus 5X there.

Just a warning that some of the older LG G4 has a brick problem (they eventually stop working). Supposedly all of those models affected are covered under warranty.

Zeknurn

On Topic:

Any better ideas?

Pick two, you cannot have three.

Huh. Was there a recent update, maybe specifically to the Mail app?

I've finally getting notifications about new email again (they're showing in the notification center). They haven't shown up in there in months, even after a hard reset. And yes, the option was/is enabled.

Paganmoon

Huh. Was there a recent update, maybe specifically to the Mail app?

I've finally getting notifications about new email again (they're showing in the notification center). They haven't shown up in there in months, even after a hard reset. And yes, the option was/is enabled.

Must be one of the little quirks of the OS. Mines been working in notification center without a problem, though I stopped getting the icon on the lock screen for a while last week. Working again now though.

Edit: Is there a wearables OT on gaf by the way? Thinking of changing my Fitbit Charge HR for either a blaze or a band 2 (import, since tier 2 and all)

Edit2: Fenice update has now made the app pretty much the perfect twitter app, resume from last tweet on startup, and shows replies when selecting tweets.

In Germany, btw.

The OnePlus X offers pretty sensational value for money in Germany. Nice build quality, solid camera, expandable storage. Worth checking it out if you want very good specs at a good price. OnePlus seems to be alright with updates too so far.

NeOak

On Topic:

Any better ideas?
Such a thing doesn't exist.

In Germany, btw.
I checked Amazon.de and although I can't read the site it looks like the Nexus 5X fulfilled by Amazon is around that price at EUR 301,00 for the 32GB. That's an excellent phone for the money especially with the March update having improved performance.

That's the major reason I go on a rant every now and then here. Cortana isn't and most likely will never be available in Sweden, and Microsoft is locking OS features behind another service. It's idiotic, no two ways about it.

The reason given for no Cortana in Sweden so far is localization. Swedes are pretty good at English, we don't need it localized to our language. Then there's the service localization, yeah, I'm not seeing Cortana ever being able to recommend me a restaurant in my town anyway, there's hardly any info on Yelp, so not expecting it from Cortana. So what kind of localization are we waiting for?

It's a bullshit reason, (hey, anyone remember the "localization" argument for Xbox One not getting released in Tier 2 countries? that turned out to be so true right? Xbox One is so localized now...), and I don't see why they don't just release Cortana here, and if they are so adamant about not releasing it, why the fuck are they locking features behind it?

Now, I could get Cortana on my phone, change the language settings to English, and then change the Region setting to US, voila, Cortana. But I will no longer have access to purchased games/music etc. from my local regions store. I'll also no longer receive updates for local apps (banking apps for instance). Nice right?

If they're so afraid about "first impressions" that they don't want to release an "unfinished product" in Sweden (and again, I never expect it to be "finished" for Sweden anyway), at least make it so those on Insider Preview have full access to it. We're testing out an OS that can fuck with our phone at any given time, we're beyond first impressions anyway.

geez, I wound myself up with that one...

</Rant>

Yeah, the Cortana situation is pretty stupid. Specially because, after just arriving at Brazil, it still doesn't support many of the commands that were supposed to work (even though the information is there), and it doesn't understand basic Brazilian slangs (Like how we tell time, so every time I try to add a reminder it misses the actual time)

KageMaru

Just saw the Myerson quotes and MS just doesn't get it and probably never will. If they want to have a mobile platform, not even relevance in the mobile space, just a platform worth anything at all, they need to double down and fucking support it.

There is likely not a damn thing they could do to stop the slow down in PC sales. If anything, offering Windows 10 for free gave many Windows 7 owners a reason not to upgrade. Either invest in mobile and pull out all the stops or drop out of it entirely. This constant half assed approach is only going to drive what small audience you have to the competition. It seems like every time MS builds any amount of excitement or momentum for the platform, they completely shit on it, killing any last chance the OS has.

Mobile first, cloud first my fucking ass.

I dont want that.

Here i thought this was happening because of the fucked up case for my icon.

Just saw the Myerson quotes and MS just doesn't get it and probably never will. If they want to have a mobile platform, not even relevance in the mobile space, just a platform worth anything at all, they need to double down and fucking support it.

There is likely not a damn thing they could do to stop the slow down in PC sales. If anything, offering Windows 10 for free gave many Windows 7 owners a reason not to upgrade. Either invest in mobile and pull out all the stops or drop out of it entirely. This constant half assed approach is only going to drive what small audience you have to the competition. It seems like every time MS builds any amount of excitement or momentum for the platform, they completely shit on it, killing any last chance the OS has.

Mobile first doesn't mean Windows Mobile first.

KageMaru

Mobile first doesn't mean Windows Mobile first.

Yeah I understand that, but it doesn't change my point. How can they throw around that line but shit out their own mobile platform?

I understand that MS was too big of a company before all the layoffs but how can you let that many people go but not be able to properly support the platforms you're releasing? I want to support the company but lately I just shake my head with what they say and do.

CaptainABAB

On Topic:

Any better ideas?

I moved from the 920 to a Nexus 5x (32GB) and for the most part, I am really happy with it. The only problem is the battery.

hankster

I moved from the 920 to a Nexus 5x (32GB) and for the most part, I am really happy with it. The only problem is the battery.

Ditto. The thing bogs down periodically - my 640 runs better consistently, maybe because it lacks so many apps that I do enjoy having with the 5x. Double-edged sword...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ditto. The thing bogs down periodically - my 640 runs better consistently, maybe because it lacks so many apps that I do enjoy having with the 5x. Double-edged sword...

I had the same experience with Samsung phones; decreased performance and battery life as I loaded it up with apps as time went on. Went from a great experience to a frustrating one. My LG G4 (that I now sold) seemed to hold up better performance-wise as I loaded up 100-plus apps on it, but the battery life was horrendous, even on 6.0. My HTC One M8 maintained stellar performance and solid battery life as I put a bunch of apps on it, but the camera was embarrassingly bad.

So I don't know, I just couldn't find an Android phone that I could love. I tried. I think the 6P would've probably met my needs. I picked up an SE along with my 950. Performance is top notch of course, even if I've had a few puzzling bugs. I still feel like the perfect phone for me is a high end Lumia with a bunch of key apps but I don't think that'll every happen, especially with MS' stated stance.

jstripes

Banned

Mobile first, cloud first my fucking ass.

This is what I don't understand either. How low does their market share have to go before they start acting like they give a shit?

"Hey guys. We've got nothing to show this year. Maybe next year." is not the message you want to send for a mobile platform that is rapidly losing any relevance it ever had.

I'm sure their strategy is that using "unified platform synergy" they can leverage desktop Windows, which people just love, to push them to buy Windows phones. But, Android is working on pushing from the other direction, and people are more attached to their phones than they are to their desktops these days. (Who knows what Apple is doing, but I'm sure they're doing something in those regards.)

Klocker

Windows 10 has been complete shit on my 640 for months and months now, including the latest fast ring version.

works pretty well in most applications but over and over crashes, bullshit, slow connection, resuming, bad Bluetooth, horrible horrible performance ...reset several times and on my second 640 also so it's not the hardware itself.

Unresponsive at the worst times, reboots. You name it... Even trying to post in this thread.. Horrible

nillapuddin

Are the HTC 8XT, Samsung ATIV S Neo, and 635 the only phones that can work on Sprint?

I got my grandfather a 635 a few years ago and he loves the Windows Phone OS, but is bummed that it doesnt have a better camera or flashlight. I want to help him out, even those the 2 phones I listed are old, they atleast have the features he would want.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So my GF is finally moving on. I am buying her Nexus 5X.

I bought her Lumia 900, then L820.

Now she doesn't want anymore WP lol I don't blame her though, all her friends uses snapchat and other apps that she can't.

Top Bottom