• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

From everything I'm reading the G5 with camera plus module is calling my name. Excellent camera, nice battery life, easy grip for pictures and gaming. Hopefully MS wakes up and gives me a reason to come back .

Cancelled McLaren actually in action, don't think this has been seen before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXNWSxICm4

I can see why the idea got scrapped. It looks cool in motion but too slow and inconsistent for everyday use.

KageMaru

Build quality and battery life would be my biggest concerns. The camera grip adds battery right?

Yup. I don't mind the added bulk of the grip and it should have good battery life with it attached. Build quality looks to be good too.

My only concern is whether or not I can find a case for the phone and attachment.

Windows 10 has been complete shit on my 640 for months and months now, including the latest fast ring version.

works pretty well in most applications but over and over crashes, bullshit, slow connection, resuming, bad Bluetooth, horrible horrible performance ...reset several times and on my second 640 also so it's not the hardware itself.

Unresponsive at the worst times, reboots. You name it... Even trying to post in this thread.. Horrible
My 640 is close to perfect on the latest insider, save for the keyboard.

I do get some eventual resumes, but they are very rare.

Honest question, who would you recommend a Windows Phone to in 2016?

Android is now fairly pretty to look at and runs decently on low-end hardware (and it's not like Windows guarantees updates either), all of WP's selling points except Continuum and live tiles are available on Android / iOS, the OS is pretty buggy, and app support isn't there.

I know this sounds like bait, but I really do (did?) love Windows Phone. 3 of my first 4 smartphones ran Windows Phone. It just seems like there's no wind in the sails anymore. Damn I miss Nokia.

MCD

Android is now fairly pretty to look at and runs decently on low-end hardware (and it's not like Windows guarantees updates either), all of WP's selling points except Continuum and live tiles are available on Android / iOS, the OS is pretty buggy, and app support isn't there.

I know this sounds like bait, but I really do (did?) love Windows Phone. 3 of my first 4 smartphones ran Windows Phone. It just seems like there's no wind in the sails anymore. Damn I miss Nokia.

I bought my mom iPhone 6 to replace her 1520. If I am gonna risk a UI change, might as well go with the norm plus she kept asking me about Snapchat so yeah, WP is no longer an option.

NeOak

Even Nokia was going to start releasing Android phones. Full Android.

They saw the writing in the wall, but they got Elop'd.

The moment Nokia was sold, WP technically died for real.

Ultimately, everyone who leaves WP comes back, so I'm gonna say anyone who likes good UI loves WP. I can't even leave because I know I'd be right back haha.

I'm going down with the ship. I love this OS.

Even I am considering moving on to Android. If the UWA initiative doesn't take hold for some reason and we still end up with no real apps, well... yeah. I'm still optimistic, but it might just take a broken phone before I jump to Android.

I still don't ascribe to the Elop = Trojan horse theory.

The company was failing long before he took the reins, the rot had already set in. Meego was never going to catch on significantly (and I'm a huge fan of it), Symbian was pretty much already dead. Android may have been an option, but with little liquid capital, Microsoft promised them profit (through subsidisation). It's easy to see why they took the offer - and even today, you only need to look to HTC and Sony to see that quality /= sales. At least Nokia still exists in some form today, and is profitable. They paid a hefty price for not diversifying enough, but that's not on Elop. If you go back, decision by decision, every move he made is logical and justifiable.

Also worth noting that he got a fucking incredible sum from Microsoft for Nokia's mobile division. That $9.4b, which is looks a larger mistake for Microsoft by the day, gave Nokia the cash they needed to fully re-create itself (again) through the Alcatel-Lucent buy-out. But who started that ball rolling? Elop, in 2013 - when he bought out Siemens' share in NSN.

Very few tech companies are able to successfully change tack. I'd argue that, partially thanks to Elop, they have been able to do just that. I don't think they'd be in as good a position right now if they were still pumping out Android phones, the margins don't exist for any company not named 'Apple'. They have the brand-licensing going on now too - all of the profit, none of the risk.

Ultimately, everyone who leaves WP comes back, so I'm gonna say anyone who likes good UI loves WP. I can't even leave because I know I'd be right back haha.

Android's UI is actually pretty decent now. And Windows has gone backwards ever since 7.5, maybe even Zune HD, in my opinion.

Also, if you love great UI and can deal with very few first-party apps, I implore you to check out Sailfish. Absolutely gorgeous to use, puts everything that isn't BlackBerry 10 (which is basically abandonware now anyway) to shame.

NeOak

To be honest, the only device that excites me right now is the HP Elite x3.

And the many options to use Continuum so I can use my unlimited data, such as the HP keyboard and screen thing for the x3, Airserver or something like the NexDock.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The loss of the gutter was the beginning of the end for Brot.

I'm happy with my 950Xl. It's fast, got the apps I need and the camera is awesome.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Now that it's more stable, I think the 950 is the right choice for my mom. I can make the tiles huge and limit the home screen.

Absolutely not. You could buy a windows phone and then they just arbitrarily decide to no longer support it. I get phones like the icon not getting the official version of 10 but to just decide one day to cut them off from the preview updates after letting them get them all along is insane.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

People like to say this over and over but what they dont understand is how many Android makers making money?

Right now looking at it you can point finger at stuff but at the time it was the best decision to support Windows and be the best manufacture for a specific OS. Just like Samsung for Android. Nokia would have been for Windows.

Its not Nokia who fucked up, its Microsoft.

Unconfirmed Member
I have used Windows Phone 7, 7.8, 8 and 8.1 but I left a while ago for Android. The stand-out feature of Windows Phone was the UI but with each iteration of the OS it has lost that advantage.

I do hope to be back one day but I cannot really point to any one advantage Windows Phone has over Android/iOS apart from continuum which isn't useful to me.

I have used Windows Phone 7, 7.8, 8 and 8.1 but I left a while ago for Android. The stand-out feature of Windows Phone was the UI but with each iteration of the OS it has lost that advantage.

I do hope to be back one day but I cannot really point to any one advantage Windows Phone has over Android/iOS apart from continuum which isn't useful to me.

When they first showed it, the Windows Phone UI was so refreshing and good. With its focus on typography, accent colors, pivot/panorama UI and really well done animations. Fast and fluid, it felt alive, compared to iOS and the horrendous Android design (whatever the fuck that was). God, that was so good.

But it's been 6 years and the competition has caught up or at least moved in a similar direction (I still don't like the iOS UI). Yes, none of them have Live Tiles, but considering what you can do from the notification center in Android, they're just not useful to me anymore. They can be visually more appealing, but the whole Material Design language is just much nicer, when it's well executed, imo. Nice typo, great animations, good flow, and more than just accent colors. For me it's the next step and I really enjoy using it.

At least Windows 10 does feel a bit nicer to use and nicer to look at. Am I wrote? I mean, Edge doesn't unnecessarily give you low-res images on mobile web pages anymore. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I find I much prefer the action center over the notification center on my G4 when I had it. I liked the photos for contacts on android but all the info below that felt ugly and messy.

joshschw

Why don't those of you so disappointed by this platform go use Android?

I'll take this every single day over the problems Android people approach me with on their devices. Let alone the ones that have just accepted that their phones run the way they do and it's normal for everything to take 5 seconds to respond.

The only thing missing is some apps - the OS itself is miles above android.

---

on another note, all that flexing to temporarily fix my 1520 touchscreen took its toll today as the phone screen exploded in my hands. I am back on the now unsupported htc one m8.

The OS foundation is nice and quite useful, but while that still has some catch up to do, the biggest problems by far are the app availability and the public lack of focus by MS on the OS. Build made that clear.

nubbe

I'll take this every single day over the problems Android people approach me with on their devices. Let alone the ones that have just accepted that their phones run the way they do and it's normal for everything to take 5 seconds to respond.

c'mon
WP10 is a bug feast and apps crash randomly

JaggedSac

The OS foundation is nice and quite useful, but while that still has some catch up to do, the biggest problems by far are the app availability and the public lack of focus by MS on the OS. Build made that clear.

Well, they are all the same OS ;)

And the biggest app I'm missing right now is a good panorama lens.

c'mon

.164 was quite nice for me. The Redstone builds are a bit more rough with the main issue I'm having being weird spacing being generated by keyboard while typing on gaf.

joshschw

c'mon

Other than Edge on Redstone builds, this has not been my experience at all. Occasionally a photos app glitch as well. Otherwise it's far more solid than all these android phones people ask me for help with (newer model ones)

I have my mother on Win10 on her 640. If it was so crashy/buggy i'd hear about it. I get phone calls if something takes too long to load!

nubbe

What apps? On my 950XL, the only app that ever crashes is the Settings "app".

any app can crash at any moment
podcast, spotify outlook, games, etc
Given that the settings app crashes, it gives an indication how poor the runtime is
But the OS has never crashed, so thats good

kazinova

Yeah, W10m is buggy beyond belief. My 1520 restarts randomly when I open my camera occasionally. Which really makes me look longingly at getting a different phone.

Photos are the one thing I love about my 1520, if I can't take them when I need to and have to wait for a reboot on occasion then I really have no reason to stay on WP.

Honestly, if Panos doesn't wow me this fall with a Surface Phone (or whatever they call it) I'll be picking up a Nexus phone (whatever $400 gets me) and moving on from WP.

We might be approaching the end of the line. Especially when MS announces notification syncing with Android. It's like they're pointing to the life boats.

joshschw

Yeah, W10m is buggy beyond belief. My 1520 restarts randomly when I open my camera occasionally. Which really makes me look longingly at getting a different phone.

Photos are the one thing I love about my 1520, if I can't take them when I need to and have to wait for a reboot on occasion then I really have no reason to stay on WP.

Honestly, if Panos doesn't wow me this fall with a Surface Phone (or whatever they call it) I'll be picking up a Nexus phone (whatever $400 gets me) and moving on from WP.

We might be approaching the end of the line. Especially when MS announces notification syncing with Android. It's like they're pointing to the life boats.

Not saying you are not experiencing this, but you should also realize it's not the normal behavior for the vast majority of users. My 1520 never once restarted when I opened the camera.

MCD

For buggy Lumias, did you guys try hard reset using the recovery tool --> upgrade to 10 --> restore factory settings from the device?

hadareud

The Translator
They'll have to claw this OS from my cold dead hands.

I'll keep using it until it's no longer possible. The alternatives are either a bit shite (Android, sorry) or produced by a company whose products I wouldn't use if they paid me for it.

I know the whinge is strong here, but every time I use Android I know that I don't ever want to return there unless I'm forced to do it.

I'm not saying that those that think differently are wrong (even though you clearly are), but taste is luckily subjective.

JaggedSac

Sorry, but 2017 is looking like when new hardware comes out.

ElNino

any app can crash at any moment
podcast, spotify outlook, games, etc
Given that the settings app crashes, it gives an indication how poor the runtime is
But the OS has never crashed, so thats good
I really haven't noticed many apps crashing other than Settings. I agree that the Settings app crashing is not a good sign, but it has mostly been there only. Other than phone reboots (which I haven't had in a while), I can't say I've noticed any particular app crashing with any frequency.

KageMaru

Why don't those of you so disappointed by this platform go use Android?

The only thing missing is some apps - the OS itself is miles above android.

---

on another note, all that flexing to temporarily fix my 1520 touchscreen took its toll today as the phone screen exploded in my hands. I am back on the now unsupported htc one m8.

I've had a lot of time with Android and IOS over the last couple months at work due to new software I have to manage and support. As it is now, the demo devices I've been using are as stable, if not more stable, than WP10 on the Icon.

I still love WP, and would prefer to stay, but I've been having consistent issues with update .164 on my phone. Cortana crashes more than 50% of the time, it takes multiple attempts before my music will play with Groove, Maps is now a laggy mess, battery performance is mixed, and it just seems like the build took a step backwards on the Icon. What's worse is I won't be receiving any more updates through the insider app until MS and Verizon get their shit together. I know I can roll back to 8.1 but I question what apps are being updated on the platform. Plus the removal of HERE support automatically kills 8.1 for me since I need a GPS app. Since I'm going to tell Verizon to fuck off and move over to AT&T, I can upgrade to the 950/XL but the G5 has better hardware and still a decent camera.

I can always come back to WP, and I hope I do, but MS has to pull their head out of their asses. Google and Apple are actively working for consumer business while MS is pissing away what small opportunity they have. If they can turn things around and prove that they won't screw over their users, I'll gladly come back. Until then, I figure I'd give another platform a shot.

/mini-rant

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not sure why you would pick a G5 over an S7 if you're going android.

But seriously who is left here? Do we need to make a list? Who is making the wm10 thread now that brot is being a dick about it?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

But seriously who is left here? Do we need to make a list? Who is making the wm10 thread now that brot is being a dick about it?

Yo I am still here.

I won't lie though, I did have second thought.

JaggedSac

I had a moment of weakness, but I'm all in. We should do like MS and combine Win10 and Win10M OTs.

hankster

My wife was using "my" 640XL and loving it for the big screen, apps were ok, until Disneyland passed on Windows Phone for their official app. Then she was out.

Now today comes word that Life360 is dropping Windows Phone.
Why doesn't the app work with Windows 10 phones?
We are unable to support the latest version of Windows devices. Life360 does not have any plans at this time to further develop the app for the Windows mobile device platform. The current version of Life360 is designed to work only on iPhone and Android smartphones.

Unable - Dix...

I'm the opposite. I grew to pretty much hate lives tiles. Too much clutter with all the information. Yes, you can turn them off but then I also disliked how some tiles were transparent and others not etc with now way to customise them individually. Screen felt like a mess in the latter days. Even on desktop and laptop I only use the small size with any live functionality turned off.

MRSA

Banned
I got a Lumia 640 for $7, unlocked it and flashed it to T-Mobile and updated to Windows 10, the app situation still sucks but it runs pretty well. Haven't really played around with it too much but its still feels like its an incomplete OS (My only other experience was with a Lumia 900)

toff74

For buggy Lumias, did you guys try hard reset using the recovery tool --> upgrade to 10 --> restore factory settings from the device?

Whilst I understand that this fixes say 80% of all the problems people are having how do you explain to your wife, nan, kid that I need to reset everything on your phone, reinstall your apps,reinsert all your passwords, rearrange your start screen etc. It'sa hard sell! Why haven't they had todo this with any phone over the past x years and their friends galaxys and iPhones just work! And that's after convincing them that the app gap isn't too bad!

Like most here, I've been invested in windows mobile for a long time (since the htc jasjar) and this is the worst it has ever been! I feel I can no longer sell the advantages of the OS.. When all the competition is moving forwards W10 is going backward!

Top Bottom