• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

I don't explain. As I said above, I bought my mom an iPhone to avoid any possible headaches. Sure, she misses the simplicity of her 8.1 1520 but the apps makes up for that.

To me, the point where Windows 10 Mobile is definitely stable is, funnily enough, the point where it gets rolled out to the rest of the eligible line-up. Sometimes, all it takes is a bit more time in the oven.

My 930 is really happy now :)

n64coder

I need to reset everything on your phone, reinstall your apps,reinsert all your passwords, rearrange your start screen etc.

If you restore from backup, you only need to reinsert your passwords and the authenticator app. Otherwise, the backup takes care of the start screen, app reinstallation, etc.

Still I agree that you shouldn't have to do this.

kazinova

Dangit, as if discussing it killed my 1520's will to live: a chunk just fell off of it around the volume rocker.

It seems I finally need to access the Android Help Desk side of this thread...

--------------------------

Can I buy a 5X on Project Fi and immediately cancel it and keep the $150 discount? I just want something to tide me over and keep me ready to buy a Surface Phone if need be. I'd snag a 950 but $550 is steep for that phone. And $250 is cheap for a 5X.

ty_hot

I can't not congratulate Microsoft for their amazing ability to fuck up 75% of the updates that I do on my 640. Really, they are really great at it, they should be proud. I use 'beta' versions of things (cyanogenmod on android, chrome and any other app for pc that has a 'test build' or anything similar to it) whenever I can simply because even though they are not the final release the companies make them usable on 99% of the times. You may get some small bug here or there but you also get new features a little bit earlier, which seems good for me.

Even the Windows Preview for computers is ok, I had one problem once but quickly fixed it, and things always ran well. But talking about Windows Phone... omg, it never works. I am talking about the update itself, the process. It always freezes, have to try again, then try with new language or any other trick to bypass the fucking bug in the middle of the update/instalation.

I update my 640 now for the next preview (its been a while that I stopped updating because it was running ok and I didnt want any headache in the process). As I decided to do a clean install of the Win Preview on my PC and I am sick at home I decided I could do the same on my phone too... downloaded, prepared to install, then I got the wheels screen, then it was finished, great. Then came the 'lets configure' screen. I had to reboot it every time after I choose something. Chose my Region, then it froze (press next and nothing happens). Ok, restart. Chose something else, froze, restart. and again and again and again, 4 or 5 times. aaaaaaaaargghhhh. I put english language, USA region, and it still shows me things in SPANISH (????) 'Dinero app'. wtf. really. Going to install my apps (good that there are not many haha).

toff74

If you restore from backup, you only need to reinsert your passwords and the authenticator app. Otherwise, the backup takes care of the start screen, app reinstallation, etc.

Still I agree that you shouldn't have to do this.

Rhat would be the best thing to do however, When we first upgraded to the 950 we were having problems with the apps updating and crashing and advised (by MS) that we should always start from scratch to prevent any software issues being restored.

Hmmm!

I don't explain. As I said above, I bought my mom an iPhone to avoid any possible headaches. Sure, she misses the simplicity of her 8.1 1520 but the apps makes up for that.

Basically, yeah. I'm to that point now where I just want something reliable.

Even after a hard reset, my 950 has live tiles that don't update (or only update AFTER you access them lololol), the weekly random reboot, camera button not taking photos consistently (software button is fine), waiting 20-30 mins for OneDrive to upload photos taken from my phone, Cortana "Something's not right"'ing me even though data, wifi, etc. are connected, phone freezing at the lock screen (this has actually fucked me when it comes to missing meetings, because the Glance screen displays the wrong time), phone not waking up/unlocking (same as before, but it "only" freezes for 5-10 seconds and then wakes up), etc.

Klocker

So the flashlight quick action doesn't work on my 640 with W10. Any ideas?

yea it is hit or miss for me, if you had the camera open at any time recently it doesn't work and or many other times that are often inconvenient. requires restart..

more glitches

n64coder

Just noticed that Visual Voicemail is working on my 950XL on W10 Insider Slow. This must be a new update they added relatively recently but I can't be sure since I don't get that many voicemails.

Klocker

Using this phone for business is suicide, can't even count how many times it failed to do something I needed at a crucial time to respond to clients

Ridiculous, fix this shit

Using this phone for business is suicide, can't even count how many times it failed to do something I needed at a crucial time to respond to clients

Missed out on a lot of photos and videos during my trip to Montana the other month. Extremely frustrating and, honestly, embarrassing.

"Hey, can you get a photo of me going down this zip line?"
"Yeah, totally. I'll just get set and..."
"What's up?"
"Hang on, my phone is frozen."

Missed out on a lot of photos and videos during my trip to Montana the other month. Extremely frustrating and, honestly, embarrassing.

"Hey, can you get a photo of me going down this zip line?"
"Yeah, totally. I'll just get set and..."
"What's up?"
"Hang on, my phone is frozen."

It's okay to not put up with shit like that, take a break, try something new.

You can always come back, once you realize that iOS and Android are only better, but not perfect (and if Windows Phone hasn't been burned the the ground yet, by the time you want to come back).

nillapuddin

Are the HTC 8XT, Samsung ATIV S Neo, and 635 the only phones that can work on Sprint?

I got my grandfather a 635 a few years ago and he loves the Windows Phone OS, but is bummed that it doesnt have a better camera or flashlight. I want to help him out, even those the 2 phones I listed are old, they atleast have the features he would want.

I dont know if any of those strange blu (is that the name?) or foreign phones would work on sprint, if anybody knows Id appreciate it, thanks

It's okay to not put up with shit like that, take a break, try something new.

You can always come back, once you realize that iOS and Android are only better, but not perfect (and if Windows Phone hasn't been burned the the ground yet, by the time you want to come back).

Yeah, I'm buying an iPhone SE this week, though fielding Android possibilities, too. I already know there are some things I'm really going to miss (keyboard being a big one) but I just need something more consistent and reliable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For those of you who think I only drop Windows Phones:
sad Van said:
temporary_zpsn3uj4cpl.jpg

Back on my 830 running WP 8.1 as I look to sell my 950.

Crazy how much more responsive little things are. Taking pictures feels so snappy and the camera button always works!

EDIT: lol and the photos I took just a minute ago are already available in OneDrive.

kazinova

Nexus 5X just shipped, I'm going to roll around in all this greener grass for a while.

The spell of Belfiore is broken. Only the magic of Panos can bring me back.

(I'll come crawling back eventually)

MRSA

Banned
So found another glitch on WM10. I can't lower the volume while watching Netflix. When I use the rocker it pauses the video and takes me to the main screen of Netflix. Thinking of going to 8.1 which I never experienced. This is with a Lumia 640 that's been flashed to from AT&T to T-Mobile ROM.

clav

So found another glitch on WM10. I can't lower the volume while watching Netflix. When I use the rocker it pauses the video and takes me to the main screen of Netflix. Thinking of going to 8.1 which I never experienced. This is with a Lumia 640 that's been flashed to from AT&T to T-Mobile ROM.

Did you upgrade through the Insider program?

MRSA

Banned
I think I'm just expecting too much out of this 640. I keep telling myself it's a $7 phone. Haha. Makes me feel better.

The light on the search button went out... Tried rebooting, still out. Not sure if software or hardware hahaha.

It's surprisingly annoying. :/

MCD

If this was my primary phone i would care. But as a $7 backup? I'll leave it as is until T -Mobile releases the final if they ever version of W10.

Alarm failed to wake me up twice this week. Latest Slow Insider.

Welp, shit is buggy.

I drop my WP all the time and even throw it by accident and it still looks fresh
thicker phones are better

I think that the removable back helps a lot tbh. Force of the drop goes into popping the back off and sending it a ways rather than damaging the phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Surface Phone using the upcoming Windows Ink platform could be pretty sweet. Need to start saving for 2017, would like to get a Pro 5. Tired of the screen size on my Pro 1.

nubbe

I think that the removable back helps a lot tbh. Force of the drop goes into popping the back off and sending it a ways rather than damaging the phone.

I actually drop the 1020 and 1520 which are uniform and they are thicker and have a round case
Clearly sturdier than the slim square phones

I dropped my 950 once. Luckily, the shell took the brunt of it and the screen itself was fine, other than a little scuff/dent in with weird trim/lining of the screen. Screen itself is in perfect shape, though!

ElNino

The Surface Phone using the upcoming Windows Ink platform could be pretty sweet. Need to start saving for 2017, would like to get a Pro 5. Tired of the screen size on my Pro 1.
I hear ya, which is why I picked up the SB and gave the Pro 1 to my in-laws.

clav

I think I'm just expecting too much out of this 640. I keep telling myself it's a $7 phone. Haha. Makes me feel better.

Have you tried factory resetting?

I have a 640 still on 8.1, and it runs great. The upgrade advisor still hasn't pushed out the 10 update due to carrier approval.

I know I can bypass it, but at this rate at how I feel about 10 on anything, I can wait.

Going to take a wild guess that redstone 2 is when we finally see the OS clean itself up.

Top Bottom