• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kazinova

But that would mean the devices are not coming out till summer 2017.

Let's be honest with ourselves. Summer is more likely for Redstone 2 anyways. Given that Anniversary was supposed to be out already before they announced it wouldn't be.

The new ink platform plus a phablet with a pen sounds like the perfect compliment to my SP3.

Let's be honest with ourselves. Summer is more likely for Redstone 2 anyways. Given that Anniversary was supposed to be out already before they announced it wouldn't be.

The new ink platform plus a phablet with a pen sounds like the perfect compliment to my SP3.

Redstone 2 was pushed from fall to spring to align with new hardware being ready for launch. I doubt we see it pushed again.

Google apps are great thanks to all the data they collect
What apps do Apple have? never heard of any... :p

I was just contemplating this Girls Generation album cause spotify doesnt have it, thinking about my options, figured itunes.

kind of suprised me its not on android... just a streaming app someone made.

*edit although there are 3 dedicated apps to Girls Generation on windows store... and who said we dont get apps.

MRSA

Banned
Have you tried factory resetting?

I have a 640 still on 8.1, and it runs great. The upgrade advisor still hasn't pushed out the 10 update due to carrier approval.

I know I can bypass it, but at this rate at how I feel about 10 on anything, I can wait.

Going to take a wild guess that redstone 2 is when we finally see the OS clean itself up.

I did a factory reset. I think I should downgrade to 8.1 but I'm gonna leave it as is. I don't use it other than to see what Microsoft's experience is supposed to be like. So far the performance is okay. Edge is slow as shit compared to Safari on my 6S, then again it's the 6S that blows everything else performance wise.

clav

I did a factory reset. I think I should downgrade to 8.1 but I'm gonna leave it as is. I don't use it other than to see what Microsoft's experience is supposed to be like. So far the performance is okay. Edge is slow as shit compared to Safari on my 6S, then again it's the 6S that blows everything else performance wise.

You're comparing a low-end device to a 6S. Not a fair comparison.

I still admire the removable batteries that these devices have.

I'm sad that this feature is going away in smartphones.

Jump back and forth once in a while to see where Windows 10 Mobile is going. I still like the UI the best even though I use an Android device. Plus streamlining updates on embedded devices is a tall order since no one has ever really done it well before.

MRSA

Banned

Jump back and forth once in a while to see where Windows 10 Mobile is going. I still like the UI the best even though I use an Android device. Plus streamlining updates on embedded devices is a tall order since no one has ever really done it well before.

I know I'm comparing the latest flagship to the low end 640, the experience is nice on the 640 but Edge is so buggy and almost comes to a crawl. I mean I'm guessing this phone is comparable to that of the iPhone 5?

clav

Edge sucks on desktop Windows despite improvements in HTML5 design.

Has weird jank and doesn't open sometimes.

Problems become clearly obvious on low-powered hardware.

ty_hot

reseted 4 times my 640 on win10, cant install the Sports app (!!!). Even the 'preinstalled' one doesnt work, then the store tries to update it and gives the 0x803F7000 error.

There aren't many apps that I use on the phone and this is one of those, I can't be without it, seriously.

googled and it seems its something related to 'region', so i tried all possible regions: brazil (where i bought the phone), USA (where i usually 'pretend' that my region is) and Spain (where I am right now). same problem in all of them. aarrrghhh

When I realized that this app was not working I had already configured everythhing in the phone (did a clean clean install), organized the start screen.... then I saw that it was not working... and after that the Store also stopped working (couldnt download anything, it would freeze and close every 5 seconds at most) and also Whatsapp bugged, couldnt open it...

oh boy, everytime a new update comes I need 2-3 days to put things in order and make it work well. (and I only update when it starts not working well)

nillapuddin

Well, my girlfriend broke her 950. Apparently the screen protector is in perfect condition but the screen and LCD behind it are busted.

I'm out of the state from her right now so I can't do anything about it.

I assume this is what I need to buy right?
(okay what the fuck. Now copy/paste doesn't work. God damnit.)

H/o

GAfV9vX.jpg

Is there any alternative other than buying shady replacement parts from foreign lands on eBay ?

n64coder

Is there any alternative other than buying shady replacement parts from foreign lands on eBay ?

I have done this twice for my daughters' phones. Lumia 635 & 640. Both times, it went well, no issues and was pretty easy.

I think it cost around $22 for the one that also included the frame.

For the 950, $200 is a lot of money. I see the replacement glass is around $10. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy the glass and go to one of those cell phone repair places and they do it for around $100?

Liberty4all

Banned

I really miss the UI since moving to android. Live Tiles in particular.

I really miss the UI since moving to android. Live Tiles in particular.

Check out Lightning Launcher. Fairly steep learning curve, but once you 'get' it, you'll be able to setup your home screen however you like.

On mine, I have a 1x3 weather panel (think tile) for my home city, which I can swipe left to see weather for my place of work, and right to see you my parents' place. And from each of those, I can swipe down to get an hourly forecast for the next 5 hours. I also have a panel which I swipe between Google Now, BBC News headlines and BBC Sport.

My layout is fairly simple, but you can customise just about everything. The app isn't free, but it's worth getting in my opinion.

nillapuddin

I have done this twice for my daughters' phones. Lumia 635 & 640. Both times, it went well, no issues and was pretty easy.

I think it cost around $22 for the one that also included the frame.

For the 950, $200 is a lot of money. I see the replacement glass is around $10. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy the glass and go to one of those cell phone repair places and they do it for around $100?

Unfortunately I'm afraid the actual LCD panel behind the glass is broken, so I have to do a full swap : /

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately I'm afraid the actual LCD panel behind the glass is broken, so I have to do a full swap : /

I wondered if the screen protector I have now would have saved my phone. Maybe not?

I haven't been able to find a way to fix my phone yet. Since it isn't too bad and very usable, im probably going to save my money and wait for a new phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That would kill me, no way I use a phone with a broken screen. I switched back to my 950 and I'm in no rush to get my SE fixed. I'll probably visit an apple store and get it fixed for $130 when I visit Chicago in a week and a half.

Also, imessage is such a damn scam, I turned it off and it doesn't even tell my friends that I have it disabled, so I have to manually text everyone to stop using imessage with me.

Klocker

Has anyone with a supported phone gotten windows 10 retail update on ATT?

Upgrade advisor is still saying it is working in getting the update ready

Klocker

Pending carrier approval.

Supposedly if you have an international phone, the update pushes through.

Oh shit waiting for ATT? oh boy
Thanks

Also anyone have an issue in the last couple months of win 10 previews of text messages no longer syncing?

My latest sync is from 10/15 when I updated one of my phones to win 10 fast ring and no syncing since then whenever I reset or start a new phone my messages are emptyHave tried everything to get them to start syncing... I started a new 891 pone today and it synced all from 10/2015 and earlier but all texts since then have evidently not backed up

Paganmoon

José Mourinho;200415796 said:
Keyboard for iOS has landed. Good job as expected.

Cool as I absolutely loath the iOS keyboard. Only available in English though it seems, and doesn't have text predication/suggestions? Only for the current word you're typing?

Cool as I absolutely loath the iOS keyboard. Only available in English though it seems, and doesn't have text predication/suggestions? Only for the current word you're typing?

I'm sure you'll be able to download it in other countries as an alpha, in English only, in the coming months.

Already downloaded it, so it's available in the EU/SE store, but yeah, the keyboard language is English only is what I meant.

Well, that's progress! I'm going to wait another few months for the Android version, like the peasant I am. At least I can sideload it, if it's US only, like with Cortana.

That would kill me, no way I use a phone with a broken screen. I switched back to my 950 and I'm in no rush to get my SE fixed. I'll probably visit an apple store and get it fixed for $130 when I visit Chicago in a week and a half.

Also, imessage is such a damn scam, I turned it off and it doesn't even tell my friends that I have it disabled, so I have to manually text everyone to stop using imessage with me.

Yeah the way some of the iMessage stuff is handled is terrible. The service appears to have no detection for a user turning it off.

José Mourinho;200442344 said:
I don't know but after a few hours of usage I take back my comment. It's not great.

Edit: it is the Android effort.
I expected as much, as Warren didn't say anything about this after releasing the first images of the iOS port.

Hey all, kinda of a weird question here--stick with me.

As some of you know, I'm moving to an iPhone SE and will revisit Windows Phone (hopefully a Surface Phone) sometime next year. However, in the meantime, I am selling my 950, so I "downgraded' back to my 830.

Even though 830 is approved for W10, who knows when ATT is going to make that happen, so I'm on Windows Phone 8.1.

Likely due to the OS difference, I don't have any texts past 11/20, which is when I transitioned to my 950.

In addition, my 830 is having a hell of a time syncing my contacts back up. Even contacts I've had since WP7 still haven't appeared, and it's been about 4 days since I switched to my 830.

My questions are:
1. Is there ANY way for me to get those texts from my 950? I have three days before it's sold on eBay.
2. Any ideas on why my contacts aren't syncing or how I can force a syc?
3. When I transition to an iPhone, am I going to lose all my texts and contacts, since they're tied to my MS account?

toff74

Is there a way to get out of the contract i signed for both my wife's 950 and my 950xl?

I'm now getting SD card errors and more than normal reboots (as if that should be normal anyway). I fucking hate these phones with a passion. Fuck my brand loyalty and fuck MS for releasing unfinished pieces of shit to market. Just get me me as far away from these phones as possible!! AARRGGHH!!!

I'm not jumping through any more hoops to get these hones working! Oh, edge just locked up and my keyboard wouldn't pop up when pressing in the text box. Seriously!!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I find the variability in issues with the same hardware baffling. I had an SD card error when I used to use my 830, but nothing on my 950xl.

Hey all, kinda of a weird question here--stick with me.

As some of you know, I'm moving to an iPhone SE and will revisit Windows Phone (hopefully a Surface Phone) sometime next year. However, in the meantime, I am selling my 950, so I "downgraded' back to my 830.

Even though 830 is approved for W10, who knows when ATT is going to make that happen, so I'm on Windows Phone 8.1.

Likely due to the OS difference, I don't have any texts past 11/20, which is when I transitioned to my 950.

In addition, my 830 is having a hell of a time syncing my contacts back up. Even contacts I've had since WP7 still haven't appeared, and it's been about 4 days since I switched to my 830.

My questions are:
1. Is there ANY way for me to get those texts from my 950? I have three days before it's sold on eBay.
3. When I transition to an iPhone, am I going to lose all my texts and contacts, since they're tied to my MS account?

I'm pretty sure you can connect your contacts via MSA. I believe it's done in the settings app. Beware, as you'll probably have 100 duplicates of some people. Dealing with my parents/brother alone took like 7 minutes to collapse.

I don't think you can keep texts, though.

nubbe

SMS will still be synced to your Microsoft account, and you should see them on the 830
You could try to delete the backup of the devices on Onedrive and see if that helps with the sync

You can use your outlook or hotmail to add contacts with activesync
I would say it is prefered to always keep contacts on the Microsoft account since it can sync with all platforms

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is there a way to get out of the contract i signed for both my wife's 950 and my 950xl?

If you are on Next, you can just sell the phones and pay off the difference, then put new phones on installment. On contract, you're out of luck. You can sell the phones and buy cheap Android phones until your contact is up.

Top Bottom