• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Is there a way to get out of the contract i signed for both my wife's 950 and my 950xl?

I'm now getting SD card errors and more than normal reboots (as if that should be normal anyway). I fucking hate these phones with a passion. Fuck my brand loyalty and fuck MS for releasing unfinished pieces of shit to market. Just get me me as far away from these phones as possible!! AARRGGHH!!!

I'm not jumping through any more hoops to get these hones working! Oh, edge just locked up and my keyboard wouldn't pop up when pressing in the text box. Seriously!!
Not unless you feel like switching carriers. If you do another carrier like T-Mobile will pay off your ETF but you are expected to trade the phones in to them and get a new one on a payment plan.

MRSA

Banned
I downgraded back to 8.1 and back to 10. Seems much better now. I really do like WP better than Android, especially from a budget perspective. They need to seize upon that because Android budget phones completely suck.

Milchjon

920 broke.

Got a 640 for the moment.

One thing I can't figure out is how to assign different vibration patterns to different apps/types of notifications.

I know my 920 vibrated differently for messages. Annoys me that this one doesn't.

MRSA

Banned
920 broke.

Got a 640 for the moment.

One thing I can't figure out is how to assign different vibration patterns to different apps/types of notifications.

I know my 920 vibrated differently for messages. Annoys me that this one doesn't.

We have the same phone. Too bad you're a Pats fan.

- Takes some photos you REALLY want to sync because you have to use them on your Pc
- Two days later they still won't appear in onedrive
"That's ok, I can manually updload them"
- Opens the photo app
- Takes a very long time for the pictures to appear
- Hit the select button, select the pictures, and then share
- App crashes
"Damn, let's try one more time"
- Same deal, down to the pictures taking a long time to appear again
"Let's try the other way, I'll open the onedrive app and will upload the picutres from there"
- Goes to the folder where I want them, click the + button
- Option to chose the file picker appears
- Choses the Photos app
- Crashes
- Choses the sd card
- Takes a long time to appear any folder
- Crashes
- Choses the file explorer picker
- You guessed right, another crash!
"Will try to send to my pc via Bluetooth"
- Opens the photo app
- Again with the delay with the pictures appearing
- Chose Bluetooth
- Another crash
"That's it, I'm gonna get the sd card and just stick on the pc"
- Do that
- The taken pictures appear to be corrupted
- Desperately puts the SD card on the phone again
- Open the photo app
- It still takes a long time for the pics to appear
- Except this time the pics I wanted never do
- That's right, they are all gone, despite all this time I was perfectly capable of opening them.

Seriously, how can something so basic can be so fucked up? This is not an OS in beta anymore, this shouldn't be happening on a OS that's close to final let alone one that's been released already.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The photos app is the worst part of wm10. The camera is so good tho. What a mess.

To wit: Cortana crashes with mic input for me.

Tried one last resort, run the scandisk on the SD card, it found some errors and repaired them.

The photos now appeared and I already copied to my Pc, will try sticking on the phone again to see if it's improved.

Nikodemos

I downgraded back to 8.1 and back to 10. Seems much better now. I really do like WP better than Android, especially from a budget perspective. They need to seize upon that because Android budget phones completely suck.
Problem is MS seem crazy-bent on sticking the absolute shittiest SoCs in their budget phones (SD210/212? Fuckouttahere).

Hmm, is it just me, or does Windows 10 randomly burn battery and apparently do a lot of heavy duty processing on idle? Noticed that the messaging app burns a lot of battery in the background if Skype integration is enabled.

(Using a Lumia 930.)

MCD

MS must require hard reset when you choose to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. The amount of weird and variable issues I read everyday is baffling. Something is seriously wrong going on with how they test or deliver the updates.

MRSA

Banned
So I found my old spare LG Optimus F6 and its a helluva lot snappier than the Lumia 640. Granted its running on a custom ROM that was optimized for performance. Its a dualcore CPU with 1GB of RAM. But its also qHD so less pixels to push vs the 640.

clav

Also screws with battery life.

Look at how people are "rediscovering" iPhone with the recently released SE edition.

All of these Quad HD resolution displays that a lot of flagship Android phones are pushing are maddening annoying from a practical standpoint.

toff74

Is it unrealistic for MS to have a product recall on Windows 10 mobile devices? I know I'm not an isolated case and the internet is rife with people having problems with their handsets!

And when I take the phones back surely I can say they just don't work. whether it's hardware or software the phones just aren't fit for use. Surely that's ground to get out of the contract or at least swap over to another phone!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The problem is you waited too long. Also, there is no single issue like exploding battery or camera nonfunctioning that affects every single user of the device. It's more like random bugs and even though some are more widespread none incapacitate the phones even if they are annoying. All phones have random bugs, and some have manufacturing defects, but if your device has a major bug or defect you are supposed to return it within two weeks.

WM10 has a ton of bugs, and some have been fixed, but unfortunately not for everybody, which is what you're experiencing. My phone is much, much improved over the version I got in December, but plenty of issues remain, though honestly none rise to the level you are describing. My camera issues were the most serious and now I can record 4k video reliably.

toff74

The problem is you waited too long. Also, there is no single issue like exploding battery or camera nonfunctioning that affects every single user of the device. It's more like random bugs and even though some are more widespread none incapacitate the phones even if they are annoying. All phones have random bugs, and some have manufacturing defects, but if your device has a major bug or defect you are supposed to return it within two weeks.

WM10 has a ton of bugs, and some have been fixed, but unfortunately not for everybody, which is what you're experiencing. My phone is much, much improved over the version I got in December, but plenty of issues remain, though honestly none rise to the level you are describing. My camera issues were the most serious and now I can record 4k video reliably.

Yeah, funnily enough (or not as the case may be) I was comparing it to the latest Toyota recall only losing photos and random reboots doesn't put lives at risk so in the grand scale of things it'snot really a recall situation.

I fear that will be case when we return our phones. Sadly it was due to our 'the coming update will fix the issue' patience and trust that has put us in this position.

It is frustrating and my rant the other day was because I was getting it in the neck from the missus over her phone and when I started having problems it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I do love the os.. And I have worked around it's foibles as I'm sure most here do. Just can't wait any more.

Is it unrealistic for MS to have a product recall on Windows 10 mobile devices? I know I'm not an isolated case and the internet is rife with people having problems with their handsets!

And when I take the phones back surely I can say they just don't work. whether it's hardware or software the phones just aren't fit for use. Surely that's ground to get out of the contract or at least swap over to another phone!

Make a fuss at the MS store, see if you can get a brand new replacement. Sell the replacement to some sucker on eBay ($450 seems to be about the going rate), buy yourself a replacement with the money.

Alternatively, as others have mentioned before, Sprint and T-Mobile will cover $650 of your Early Termination fee if you trade-in your handset when you switch.

ty_hot

WP battery is so much better than Android, cant even compare. I use my phone a lot and I always have battery in the end of the day. Battery Saver mode is like a miracle, can go hours and just a few percent less.

MS must require hard reset when you choose to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. The amount of weird and variable issues I read everyday is baffling. Something is seriously wrong going on with how they test or deliver the updates.

Even with hard reset, things are really bad. In the past week I tried 4 times to get to the W10, everytime I had wierd results. 2 times problems 'at first', jsut after updating (like Sports app not working at all and Photos app not working as well). Other 2 times had problems with phone crashing when opening anything related to cellular conection (and the 3g connection was not working) after one day of use, which also led to photos app not workign again (not connection between the two things, but it did happened twice for me).

I am back to 8.1, its good that things work but the design is worst and there are many improvements lost. I feel like back to 2013. And I cant sell my phone (nobody wants a WP) so I will keep it as long as it works, cant throw my money away =/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thankful I haven't had any big failures with my 950XL. I wonder if there are certain apps that are causing things to fuck up??

nubbe

8.1 is fine
They are probably trying to do too much with unifying win10, it probably won't be production ready until 2017
might be a reason to why they aren't pushing the platform

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
8.1 is fine
They are probably trying to do too much with unifying win10, it probably won't be production ready until 2017
might be a reason to why they aren't pushing the platform

I have seen so many hardcore WP fans switch to Android in last 8 months. Its not even funny. These were the people who convinced others to buy WP.

I have absolutely no idea what MS's strategy is anymore. But killing WP also makes zero sense as Paul Thurrot mentioned in recent podcast.

All MS had to do was to satisfy the hardcore fans. I am still sticking to the platform. But its sad nonetheless.

kazinova

Yeah, so many original WP7 people are dropping at this point.

In related news, the battery on the Nexus 5X is pathetic, especially coming from the 1520. Apparently the Bluetooth is to blame. Never had these problems before, and I'm not doing more more.

In related news, the battery on the Nexus 5X is pathetic, especially coming from the 1520. Apparently the Bluetooth is to blame. Never had these problems before, and I'm not doing more more.

What's your SoT, what apps did you use and how's your reception throughout the day?

You forgot phase of the moon.

I know it's hard to understand for Windows Phone users, but depending on what apps and games are being used or played, it can impact the battery life of the device.

That's why I always find these "battery is great/awful!" comments so useless.

JaggedSac

Yeah, so many original WP7 people are dropping at this point.

Are you using your phone too much? Try not using it as much ;)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's hard to understand for Windows Phone users, but depending on what apps and games are being used or played, it can impact the battery life of the device.

That's why I always find these "battery is great/awful!" comments so useless.

Even on a Windows Phone I'll routinely go into battery saver and make sure unwanted background tasks are off. When I had my G4 I had a Snapdragon battery manager installed

Paganmoon

I have seen so many hardcore WP fans switch to Android in last 8 months. Its not even funny. These were the people who convinced others to buy WP.

I have absolutely no idea what MS's strategy is anymore. But killing WP also makes zero sense as Paul Thurrot mentioned in recent podcast.

All MS had to do was to satisfy the hardcore fans. I am still sticking to the platform. But its sad nonetheless.

Thing is, different fans require different things to be satisfied. I can live with the janky OS (on Insider), I can live without "all the apps" (I've got my banking, authentication, Spotify and twitter, don't really need much else).
For me, if there's anything that's going to make me drop Windows on my mobile device, is the idiotic decision of locking "Device Synergy" features behind a service that they refuse to release in my region, namely Cortana.

ElNino

Thing is, different fans require different things to be satisfied. I can live with the janky OS (on Insider), I can live without "all the apps" (I've got my banking, authentication, Spotify and twitter, don't really need much else).
For me, if there's anything that's going to make me drop Windows on my mobile device, is the idiotic decision of locking "Device Synergy" features behind a service that they refuse to release in my region, namely Cortana.
This is pretty much stance as well. I'm (mostly) ok with the app situation, really the only one I'm missing right now is an updated MLB app. I still prefer the OS functions over iOS, and I haven't spent enough time with Android to yet to say for sure how I'd feel using it daily.

However, if the MS specific features continue to not work best (or at all) for me then I'm not sure how long I could stay. It's bad enough that I need to set my region as US (instead of Canada), but for the most part that doesn't bother me too much.

hadareud

The Translator
The pace they're rolling Cortana out at is an embarrassment.

And while the situation in the UK is generally good, there's still some US only features that make no sense at all.

Att locked 950s (new) can be had for as little as $350 on eBay. Almost bit but I think I'll wait on the hp elite, HTC 10, or further 950 price drops.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So you can get the 950, a continuum dock, wireless charger, and case for less than I paid for the phone, that's a good deal imo given the updates, and you will be able to exchange it if you have the more serious issues some posters have had.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't have that bug, but there's others (tabs reappearing after you close them etc.) and battery life being a bit shit (probably only half of what I used to get).

So yes, desperate for a new build, too.

Top Bottom