• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

Att locked 950s (new) can be had for as little as $350 on eBay. Almost bit but I think I'll wait on the hp elite, HTC 10, or further 950 price drops.

Any rumors that we'll get the HTC 10 w/ windows? I can't say I am impressed with their support of the M8, but it's such a solid piece of hardware, and the camera metering (metering only :D ) is head and shoulders above Lumia's (not incl 950 series because I have never tried them)

joshschw

There should be a Redstone build this week with some new features. So if you are already on it, I would stick with it until then to at least try those out first.

by the way, this updated 10586 build applies to the devices "removed" from the program as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I guess I'm on the release preview or whatever, I just got the .218 build.

Also, when is our Facebook going to get reactions?

Klocker

Threshhold production build update .218 feels very snappy on my 640 today so far, so good.

Edit: shit... ok now it's acting the way the last Redstone build I had was acting... not catching my text messages... they show up with no notification and late.... going to end up going back to fucking 8.1 if this keeps up. JHC, what a bunch of shit

Is it? Works fine for me, unlike in FF and Chrome.

I keep getting the same issues that i get on mobile (words auto correcting and the space being eaten, cursor issues, sometimes locking up and taking no input for a while), but on desktop they are way less frequent.

One thing that happens quite often is on facebook. It gets kinda in a error state where you can't erase any word, and trying to format the already typed text results in it pasting the entire sentence over again.

Not to mention on facebook, the auto correction kicking in and then the word changing back to the wrong one is also pretty much constant, and very annoying because sometimes the autocorrection will kick in for words that shouldn't (and in my case shouldn't at all, because I have it disabled) and eat up the space fucking what you are typing. (And making even more annoying when the error on the above paragraph happens next when you try to fix the text).

Oh, and that using a physical keyboard, not the on screen one.

KageMaru

There should be a Redstone build this week with some new features. So if you are already on it, I would stick with it until then to at least try those out first.

by the way, this updated 10586 build applies to the devices "removed" from the program as well.

Unfortunately this isn't the case with the Icon :-/ Just checked on the slow ring and it says the OS is up to date.

joshschw

Unfortunately this isn't the case with the Icon :-/ Just checked on the slow ring and it says the OS is up to date.

Sure it is. Slow Ring is for Redstone builds, which are not currently on the Icon. Switch to Release Preview Ring and you'll get the update no problem.

KageMaru

Sure it is. Slow Ring is for Redstone builds, which are not currently on the Icon. Switch to Release Preview Ring and you'll get the update no problem.

Awesome thanks! For some reason I thought fast ring was for Redstone and slow ring was for future 10586 updates.

Holy shit I am so happy now. I cant believe the icon is still going to get updates. Thank you based Nadella.

I guess fabric-covered keyboards are fine for people who are literally never around dirt.

I use my Surface at home, at bars, at restaurants, outside, etc. My cyan SP3 cover got pretty gross--glad I got a black SP4 Type Cover replacement.
Black ones get pretty gross too. Get white due to lotion and skin flaking. This grey alcantara won't show as much age. Microsoft store rep said it should get better looking over time. Whatever that means.

kazinova

So my wife (950XL, I still have a legitimate reason to post in this thread, guys) is looking for what the WP Snapchat solution is. 6snap doesn't appear in the store anymore, and I never used it anyways. Is there anything out there for her or is she WP-screwed™?

n64coder

I love how there's still no Windows Mobile 10 OT. Actually it's sad...

I'll be happy to start one. Any objections? I know there's a protocol in the Gaming section for creating OT but I don't think there's one in the OffTopic section.

If anyone has stuff that should go into the first post, can you send it to me? Photos, factoids, etc.

toff74

I'll be happy to start one. Any objections? I know there's a protocol in the Gaming section for creating OT but I don't think there's one in the OffTopic section.

If anyone has stuff that should go into the first post, can you send it to me? Photos, factoids, etc.

Didn't think you could OT with Pre-Releases.

n64coder

Didn't think you could OT with Pre-Releases.

It was released about a month ago if I'm not mistaken.

Wikipedia said:
The first Lumia smartphones powered by Windows 10 Mobile were released on November 20, 2015, while eligible Windows Phone devices began receiving updates to Windows 10 Mobile on March 17, 2016, pursuant to manufacturer and carrier support.

this_guy

So my wife (950XL, I still have a legitimate reason to post in this thread, guys) is looking for what the WP Snapchat solution is. 6snap doesn't appear in the store anymore, and I never used it anyways. Is there anything out there for her or is she WP-screwed™?

The solution is to get an Android or iPhone. Apparently the CEO of Snapchat is some kind of fanboy against Microsoft and hence no Snapchat on Windows Phone.

Option 1 - Switch phones.

Option 2 - Get a cheap Android tablet for Snapchat / other app purposes. Not ideal as it's another device to have around, but that's the compromise.

kharma45

The solution is to get an Android or iPhone. Apparently the CEO of Snapchat is some kind of fanboy against Microsoft and hence no Snapchat on Windows Phone.

I've seen this banded around but no one can actually back it up bar that one tweet where he made light of the WP market share.

The new types of Cortana reminders should cool, lots of potential there.

Also, this is welcome return (was like this in 8.x):
If you tap on a link in an app that opens a new tab in Microsoft Edge, pressing the back button when you’re done will close that tab, then take you back to the app. Your tabs list stays lean and relevant, by smartly closing tabs you’re done with.

clav

920outsideintherainlookinginthroughawindow.jpeg

I suck at photoshop. Here's my first attempt.

HVGjUKG.png

Top Bottom