• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Installed new build,

can't download anything from store, it crashes immediately.

FUCK ME

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Maybe it's just my phone but I have had the best battery life I've ever had after the update. I've only owned the phone for a couple months, but it was noticeably better after this update!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Build seems pretty great so far, early though. Getting the spacing issue in Edge still. Really like the tweak to the settings menu with the little icons.

No issue downloading apps for me.

Paganmoon

How do I get the new build? I don't have the release preview option.

To get the build from a few days ago for Threshold 2 (10586) you need to be on release preview, and if you don't see it, you might need to update your insider app.

To get the recent Redstone you need to be on a supported phone and be on fast ring.

derFeef

Well I have the latest Insider and still no release preview (there once was... but it's gone).
There is an update 10.0.14322.1000 available but it refuses to download.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We had a good run, boys.

R24M7UR.gif

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, there's something wrong with it. It seems to come on if you lock your phone, not when you unlock it.

Weird.

edit: Glance isn't working properly either - doesn't come on when you hover your hand over it. Other than that, the build is pretty solid for me. Battery life is back to normal, too. That's two very annoying bugs, though.

Paganmoon

Yes, there's something wrong with it. It seems to come on if you lock your phone, not when you unlock it.

Weird.

edit: Glance isn't working properly either - doesn't come on when you hover your hand over it. Other than that, the build is pretty solid for me. Battery life is back to normal, too. That's two very annoying bugs, though.

There's now 2 Glance options, one directly under Settings, and another under extras. The one under settings, is the "normal" one, but the one under extras has the setting for how it should show Glance (always, 30 seconds, 15 minutes and off), my Glance seems to be working, but in the extras it's set as off.
Edit: and the Hello IR going on when I lock my screen is annoying me to no end... gaaaaah.

I made the Word Flow thread because fuck it.

Gimme that Android version now.

Wait, that's supposed to be the WordFlow keyboard? I thought that was just some new version of one of their 5 other keyboards.

Man, shit. I really hope it's not based on SwiftKey. I want the WordFlow look, too!

e: And don't worry, the interest in the keyboard for iOS is going be as high as the overall interest in Windows Phone.

hadareud

The Translator
There's now 2 Glance options, one directly under Settings, and another under extras. The one under settings, is the "normal" one, but the one under extras has the setting for how it should show Glance (always, 30 seconds, 15 minutes and off), my Glance seems to be working, but in the extras it's set as off.
Edit: and the Hello IR going on when I lock my screen is annoying me to no end... gaaaaah.

Switching on the one in extras fixed things, thanks.

I had to switch hello off, it was annoying me too much.

Still, not too bad a build.

Build great thus far, but typing in edge it's still a mess, and the settings for customizing the action center is quite bugged for me.

I get duplicate entries, and I'm unable to activate all the actions I want, it forces some other action to deactivate.

Edit: Lol, I'm down to just a single slot. The bug started when I tried to arrange the actions, it would cause for the settings app to crash, and I lost one spot to chose. Then I tried disabling them all to enable again, but that caused that now I can only have a single action there.

JaggedSac

Liking the music controls on lock screen. Couldn't figure out why glance wasn't turning off even though I had it off in extras. Thanks to whomever it was that pointed out it was in another spot. So dumb to have it in two spots. Other than that, build seems to be working great for me. Groove update made that thing smoother too. No more complaints about that thing. My rich capture exposure editing thing is still goofed where it stretched the image horribly. Anyone else having this issue?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Liking the music controls on lock screen. Couldn't figure out why glance wasn't turning off even though I had it off in extras. Thanks to whomever it was that pointed out it was in another spot. So dumb to have it in two spots. Other than that, build seems to be working great for me. Groove update made that thing smoother too. No more complaints about that thing. My rich capture exposure editing thing is still goofed where it stretched the image horribly. Anyone else having this issue?

Haven't noticed the rich capture bug yet. I agree about the build. Feels really fast and smooth. I've wanted the lock screen controls for a long time.

Paganmoon

I don't think the idea is to have it in both places in the future, most likely they moved the UI elements to the new location, but didn't really remove references to old one. As many have pointed out, the build feels good overall, smooth. But with quite a few annoying quirks.

The lockscreen music controls isn't new for me, using Spotify they were there before, but they are better integrated now, as before there was a huge grey bar covering half the lockscreen.

Also noticed on Bluetooth, it used to only show one (the latest device) connected in the action center, now if I have multiple devices connected it states "Connected (2)". Minor change, but helpful still, so I don't have to go into BT settings to see if my devices have paired or not.

Edit: spoke to soon. Had the WiFi-bug I've been getting every now and then, either on my home network or work network where the phone won't get an IP assigned by the DHCP, and I need to reboot the phone to get WiFi working again. So I rebooted, after reboot I tried starting Fenice, the splash screen showed and then it got stuck there. The app hasn't started as it's not in the Task view, only the start menu is in the task view, and I get "loading" when I try to go to start menu. Tried to reboot the phone again get the "pull down to shut down" and I do, and now the screen is stuck there with "pull down to shut down" textbar at the bottom of the screen. Trying soft reset.
So the build is smooth, but it's not very stable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the idea is to have it in both places in the future, most likely they moved the UI elements to the new location, but didn't really remove references to old one. As many have pointed out, the build feels good overall, smooth. But with quite a few annoying quirks.

The lockscreen music controls isn't new for me, using Spotify they were there before, but they are better integrated now, as before there was a huge grey bar covering half the lockscreen.

Also noticed on Bluetooth, it used to only show one (the latest device) connected in the action center, now if I have multiple devices connected it states "Connected (2)". Minor change, but helpful still, so I don't have to go into BT settings to see if my devices have paired or not.

Edit: spoke to soon. Had the WiFi-bug I've been getting every now and then, either on my home network or work network where the phone won't get an IP assigned by the DHCP, and I need to reboot the phone to get WiFi working again. So I rebooted, after reboot I tried starting Fenice, the splash screen showed and then it got stuck there. The app hasn't started as it's not in the Task view, only the start menu is in the task view, and I get "loading" when I try to go to start menu. Tried to reboot the phone again get the "pull down to shut down" and I do, and now the screen is stuck there with "pull down to shut down" textbar at the bottom of the screen. Trying soft reset.
So the build is smooth, but it's not very stable.

I read about an issue with the 5ghz WiFi. Also, my bluetooth always showed more than one connected.

I expect Microsoft to deprecate the Extras tab by Redstone 2, as they seem as an afterthought that was kept only for the settings made by Nokia to expand WP and they keep moving things there to new positions in the current menu.

Paganmoon

I read about an issue with the 5ghz WiFi. Also, my bluetooth always showed more than one connected.

I've got the issue on 2.4ghz as well, but that wasn't the major issue, a reboot usually fixes that, the big issue was phone not being usable at all after reboot.

Also Skype for Business crashes on startup with the latest build.

Edit: I'm not posting these things as a "fuck Microsoft, and their shit OS" btw (well not this time), I knew what I was getting into with going on Fast Ring. Posting mostly so people are aware of the issues, if they get these themselves, or want to weigh their options, if it's worth going on Fast Ring or not. (it usually isn't for your daily driver, but I like to live on the edge).

So, does anyone here know enough about android to answer this:

Is android open source enough that microsoft could create a clone of windows phone 10 that functions exactly like windows phone, but is based off of the more popular and stable android software?

Is android open source enough that microsoft could create a clone of windows phone 10 that functions exactly like windows phone, but is based off of the more popular and stable android software?

They could make a launcher, but apps wouldn't have live tiles or matching icons.

clav

Yeah they could, but that means giving up on UWP and efforts on making Windows OneCore, which is what the team has been working on since Windows 10's creation.

If you want to make your own Android build, read and start. You'll need a UNIX machine or OS X setup.

From what I understand for app development, you have a target build in Android (app only works for Marshmallow or Lollipop) where as Microsoft is trying to say to develop for the platform and not worry about the specific Windows 10 OS. When people were raving about Ubuntu's partnership with Microsoft and bash, that basically was birthed from the ashes of Project Astoria. A long shot but maybe we'll see some Android integration later if MS is considering feature parity? Highly unlikely.

Android app development is a nightmare if you have to consider all devices running different OS/setups + screen size configs + different hardware. iOS is so much easier due to limited devices available + streamlining of updates. Hence why you see the trend of iOS first and then Android second. Developers are willing to deal with Android's headaches since there is a large Android install base.

Microsoft is making a bet that with everyone on Windows 10 + further streamlining/refining UWP will allow more apps on the platform. We will see whether that bet pans out as it depends on Windows 10's app store success. No surprise that Microsoft revealed Project Centennial to make this process done in the laziest and easiest way as Microsoft desperately wants its users to use the store.

Easy to be pessimistic considering Microsoft's history on creating proprietary mobile devices have all been failures.

Klocker

Anybody else on the new Redstone build having manually installed apps showing as pending in app list AND installed as well as stuck in the store with no ability to end?

Paganmoon

Anybody else on the new Redstone build having manually installed apps showing as pending in app list AND installed as well as stuck in the store with no ability to end?

Not noticed it myself, but it's one of the known issues of the build:

There is an issue in which you may see duplicate apps under All apps showing as pending despite being installed and usable on your phone. You may also see some apps stuck in the Store.

Klocker

Flashlight is hit or miss (doesn't work if I have had the camera active since last reboot)

Glance screen hit or miss whether it activates after going to sleep

Duplicate pending apps in app list (known issue)

Transfer data does not run

Text syncing still broken (has not worked for me for several builds... anyone know a fix?)

Cortana photo reminders are sweet

Camera button on lock screen awesome

Audio controls on lock screes awesome

Better notifications cool

Edge handling of tabs from apps much cleaner

Forward option in edge

Pretty quick and surprisingly stable on my 640 tester (also running Production build on another 640 switching back and forth... like this build.

Paganmoon

My FB messenger app is gorever stuck at this. Anyvwork around? Or I just have to reset it? :(

I think that's another known issue, workaround is to start Messenger via the FB app and not from the app tile itself.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14322/ said:
UPDATE: Facebook Messenger will fail to launch from Start or All apps. As a workaround, you can open Facebook Messenger via the Facebook app or open Facebook Messenger from Cortana. You can also tap on notifications from Facebook Messenger to open the app as well. This bug impacts numerous other Windows Phone 8.1 apps such as WeChat, Transfer My Data, and UC Browser too.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think that's another known issue, workaround is to start Messenger via the FB app and not from the app tile itself.

Thank you but you were only few min late, I reset my phone and god damn messenger still wouldn't work.

But as you mentioned it does work through FB app.

I have lost count how many times I have reset my phones in last 8 months :(

clav

Thank you but you were only few min late, I reset my phone and god damn messenger still wouldn't work.

But as you mentioned it does work through FB app.

I have lost count how many times I have reset my phones in last 8 months :(

Are you on the fastest build or the release build?

Sordid

My 950 XL rebooted 7 times yesterday while it was sitting doing nothing, looks like my luck finally ran out. Any sign of a firmware update? :(

MCD

My 950 XL rebooted 7 times yesterday while it was sitting doing nothing, looks like my luck finally ran out. Any sign of a firmware update? :(

Do the usual stuff I.e sim card check, micro SD check.

Other than that, good luck.

Top Bottom