• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I mentioned the other day that there's a few third party apps that are now syncing their settings including login information etc.

I just downloaded the premier league fantasy football app on my surface (a universal app) and opened it expecting having to sign in, but I already was. Pretty cool, I have to say.

Would be nice if games did the same.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I got my micro SIM cut down for my 930, but it is not being recognised. Is the 930 fussy about thicker sims? I can't simply ring up my operator and swap to a nano sim as I have a corporate account and they aren't allowed to switch. The alternative is to go through my service desk which will take a couple of weeks :/

To 930 users: do you have sound problems with vine? I have that annoying cracking sound with each take and can't get rid of it. Would be mice, if someone checked that.

Also: someone took the decision if I should buy the md12 speaker from Nokia, since my parents sent one to me as part of a birthday-present last week. And I have to say: super cool mobile speaker.

en-INTL-L-Nokia-MD-12-BT-Speaker-Green-DHF-01332-mnco.jpg

On its own, the sound is ho-hum, but solid considering its super small size. However that vibrating membrane is incredible in transforming everything it sits on into its body of resonance. When I took a shower this morning and snapped it magnetically (clever design!) to my washing machine, the bass pumped just as loudly, as you would expect from a much larger speaker.

For something of like 30 euros, this is a must buy for everyone who "kinda" wants a mobile speaker, but doesn't want to put >100 dollars on the table for competing products.

But please don't forget to test vine for me, 930 users!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Where is my cortana? The 930 has 8.1 as default and I double checked there is no update available, but I don't have a cortana app (which I did on my 920 after a dev preview update)

phen0m24

Reading this thread with envy. Had a Lumia 900 with WP7 (early adopter curse) and recently bought a S4. Gosh I really want a Cortana-enabled phone. This "Hello Galaxy" thing sucks.

So nice to have the phone (even back in WP7) say "Text received from ______: Would you like me to read it?"

Gosh I miss that

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Any news when DP users get Cyan? I'm still waiting.

Looks like we will have to wait longer.

Reading this thread with envy. Had a Lumia 900 with WP7 (early adopter curse) and recently bought a S4. Gosh I really want a Cortana-enabled phone. This "Hello Galaxy" thing sucks.

So nice to have the phone (even back in WP7) say "Text received from ______: Would you like me to read it?"

Gosh I miss that

Lots have changed from WP7. Feature wise, now WP ie on par with iOS and Android. Should definitely try it out.

Use the software recovery tool.

Nearly everything is backed up now anyway.

I wish. I know it should be, but I had installed apps that didn't get reinstalled, my screen layout didn't restored either, not even the phone settings and paired bluetooth devices got restored. And some options that should be synced to the cloud, that worked before on this very phone and still works on all my others Windows devices, like network credentials and website's passwords are not syncing to my phone.

Cyan fixed most of the performance issues I had with my phone, but the restore process was a complete hit and miss for me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cyan is making my 920 fly. I was already noticing some clunkiness after playing with the latest crop of Android phones, but I swear my phone feels a bit more airy after updating it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't really want to rollback at this point on my 920. Probably just wait for the 830. Plus my phone can't make a backup, gets to 96% then fails.

Edit: I think I'm going to roll back, haha

mrklaw

MrArseFace
phew, could still download the dev preview and get live folders back on my 930.

Anyone got good links to example home screen layouts? I like small live folders with three medium tiles inside. When you tap on the folder, you get all three nice sized icons filling a row neatly. I'm also liking medium live folders with three small icons in, so I get a top row with some 'white space' below.

Loonz

Cyan is making my 920 fly. I was already noticing some clunkiness after playing with the latest crop of Android phones, but I swear my phone feels a bit more airy after updating it.

Same here, my 520 flies, it truly flies. Feels like a new phone now xDDDD, the increased performance is hard to believe, really. Everything feels so fast now.

New options are great. This OS is evolving pretty nicely IMO, if MS can make a shitty phone like mine run everything so quick.

EDIT: update took a loooong while, dunno whether that's normal. I could barely use the phone yesterday.

Same here, my 520 flies, it truly flies. Feels like a new phone now xDDDD, the increased performance is hard to believe, really. Everything feels so fast now.

New options are great. This OS is evolving pretty nicely IMO, if MS can make a shitty phone like mine run everything so quick.

EDIT: update took a loooong while, dunno whether that's normal. I could barely use the phone yesterday.

The update didn't take long for me.
My 520 has been faster too but the last couple days I've had problems with it hanging up on Neogaf. Maybe I need to clear some space.
It's amazing what a sub $50 phone can do, isn't it?

Prez

What would be a good use for a 520 without a sim card other than a music player? I just got a 620 but I can get a 520 for €80 if I trade in any old phone. Just as a music player you're already getting more value than any dedicated mp3 player in the same price range.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What would be a good use for a 520 without a sim card other than a music player? I just got a 620 but I can get a 520 for €80 if I trade in any old phone. Just as a music player you're already getting more value than any dedicated mp3 player in the same price range.

Decent internet browser.

Can check facebook on it with its really quite nice facebook app. If you download the maps you can use it as a GPS with no sim card in it.

I've never used skype on it but you can go for that.

Prez

Decent internet browser.

Can check facebook on it with its really quite nice facebook app. If you download the maps you can use it as a GPS with no sim card in it.

I've never used skype on it but you can go for that.

So you can do pretty much anything except call and text if you use wifi? It's crazy how much value you get for that price compared to anything else.

So you can do pretty much anything except call and text if you use wifi? It's crazy how much value you get for that price compared to anything else.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing really. And another great thing about it is I've dropped it about 20 times and it hasn't broken. The back pops off and the battery falls out when you drop it, but no cracked screen and not even a scratch. I'm not sure if that's a common experience, but if it was an iphone it would be fucked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, it's pretty amazing really. And another great thing about it is I've dropped it about 20 times and it hasn't broken. The back pops off and the battery falls out when you drop it, but no cracked screen and not even a scratch. I'm not sure if that's a common experience, but if it was an iphone it would be fucked.

I've dropped mine onto all sorts of surfaces, including tile, and the only thing that ever happens is the back pops off.

I do have a nasty scrape from a key when I hurriedly stuck it in the wrong pocket when a thunderstorm started up and took me by surprise, but it's barely noticeable when its on. Rugged phone.

Prez

The 530 is apparently coming out here next week for the same price as the 520 now. I'll hold out and watch for a price drop. I'm definitely getting one if it's €50.

Razdek

Banned
I wish I had the 8.1 update just to use the browser and get prompted to download an app from the IOS or Google store. Love their half ass solutions and hopefully soon an android app emulator.

Raistlin

I wish I had the 8.1 update just to use the browser and get prompted to download an app from the IOS or Google store. Love their half ass solutions and hopefully soon an android app emulator.
Half ass solution? It's not like MS can force web developers to send proper mobile css to the browser. If aren't gonna code for the user agent right now, what else is MS supposed to do in the meatime?

Razdek

Banned
Half ass solution? It's not like MS can force web developers to send proper mobile css to the browser. If aren't gonna code for the user agent right now, what else is MS supposed to do in the meatime?

How about changing the underlying technology so it uses what everyone else is using? Do you think Google or Apple would do this solution where you'd get prompted to download an app from a competitor's app store when using their browser?

Milchmann

Nah, let's blame everyone else for websites not rendering properly in IE. IE is perfect and that's why everyone is using the Trident engine. Oh wait...

But they render properly in IE. It's the task of the web developers to let their sites parse the user agent string properly.

Raistlin

Abandon Trident, fork WebKit.

How about changing the underlying technology so it uses what everyone else is using? Do you think Google or Apple would do this solution where you'd get prompted to download an app from a competitor's app store when using their browser?
Move to WebKit? Sure I'll bite. But we're talking about now. It's not like re-authoring a rendering engine is like flipping a switch. WP IE uses IE proper's rendering engine. So we're talking about desktop IE being re-authored first.

MS obviously is running the risk of further exposing WP's status in the market by the fact iOS/Android apps get advertised here. The fact that people are hating on a move that is obviously meant to improve user's functionality in-the-now seems pretty odd to me. Yes we should want them to move to WebKit long-term, but critisizing them improving the user experience for us now - possibly at expense to perception of the platform - is pretty masochistic.

As to what Google or Apple would do, you seem to me making assumptions based on how things already panned out. They're the market leaders, so of course that seems preposterous. But let's consider if things had played out differently ... and they were actually the mobile upstarts. What would they have done then? I don't know, but I'm not sure we should assume they wouldn't have done something similar. Nor should we assume that if they didn't do it, they wouldn't be tanking the prospects of gaining marketshare. That's especially true if we're talking about 6 or so years ago, when Safari and Chrome usage weren't anywhere near what they are now. If anything, they might have been in a more desperate position.

The main point being ... even if they did magically switch to WebKit tomorrow ... that wouldn't actually stop the problems we're having with web sites not targeting their user agent. They'd still get improper (for mobile) layouts anyway.

Milchmann

Move to WebKit? Sure I'll bite. But we're talking about now. It's not like re-authoring a rendering engine is like flipping a switch. WP IE uses IE proper's rendering engine. So we're talking about desktop IE being re-authored first.

MS obviously is running the risk of further exposing WP's status in the market by the fact iOS/Android apps get advertised here. The fact that people are hating on a move that is obviously meant to improve user's functionality in-the-now seems pretty odd to me. Yes we should want them to move to WebKit long-term, but critisizing them improving the user experience for us now - possibly at expense to perception of the platform - is pretty masochistic.

I don't see the point in moving to Webkit. The standard is HTML5 and not Webkit. Rendering engines like Trident and Gecko support it well. One dominating rendering engine would be like IE 6 all over again.

Raistlin

I don't see the point in moving to Webkit. The standard is HTML5 and not Webkit. Rendering engines like Trident and Gecko support it well. One dominating rendering engine would be like IE 6 all over again.
As things stand right now, yes there isn't the need we saw in years past. Trident and WebKit have pretty similar performance and support overall.

But like you said, the standard is HTML5 ... and while Trident and WebKit's support is pretty similar, neither do in fact support all features completely (or in some cases, at all). The want for MS to move to WebKit is because people are scared that long term, they may diverge again. The web space is pretty fast moving, and what are peers now may not be in the future. People are of the mind that the risk of stagnation (having all 4 of the main web makers using the same engine) is less than the risk of divergence. It's hoped that having all 4 utilizing it may actually move things quicker.

Is that theory wrong? Quite possibly, but I at least understand argument for it.

BTW - Unless something changed, Mozilla abandoned Gecko for WebKit a few years back. Other than Opera (the smallest blip that registers on web browser usage stats), everything already is WebKit beyond IE.

xbgamer

Banned
As things stand right now, yes there isn't the need we saw in years past. Trident and WebKit have pretty similar performance and support overall.

But like you said, the standard is HTML5 ... and while Trident and WebKit's support is pretty similar, neither do in fact support all features completely (or in some cases, at all). The want for MS to move to WebKit is because people are scared that long term, they may diverge again. The web space is pretty fast moving, and what are peers now may not be in the future. People are of the mind that the risk of stagnation (having all 4 of the main web makers using the same engine) is less than the risk of divergence. It's hoped that having all 4 utilizing it may actually move things quicker.

Is that theory wrong? Quite possibly, but I at least understand argument for it.

BTW - Unless something changed, Mozilla abandoned Gecko for WebKit a few years back. Other than Opera (the smallest blip that registers on web browser usage stats), everything already is WebKit beyond IE.

Firefox still uses gecko.

Top Bottom