• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand the need to support an esoteric ID system based on iris recognition before the standard fingerprint one. Possibly an attempt to differentiate the 950 from others, but it still looks like a weird priority to have.

Does Windows Ink even work in the current mobile Insider builds? Or are they going to wait until Redstone 2 next year?

n64coder

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand the need to support an esoteric ID system based on iris recognition before the standard fingerprint one.

It's useful for those who use gloves in winter. It just needs to be as fast as the Surface recognition. I think it can get there.

BTW, my wife won an amateur photograph contest with pics using her hand me down 1020. She won $250 and beat photographers using real cameras.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really happy with the current production build. Trying to think of what issues I have? The one I notice is photos not being deleted in the photos app properly.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The photos app is still garbage. I used the 950 to film my boss for a short intro since the camera and mic is so good. After every take, I had to wait way too long to show her the preview. At least the current build meant that I didn't lose any of the takes, but it really felt archaic to have to wait so long after shooting a video to view it. And there was a nervous pause after hitting the stop button and wondering if the video would stick.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The photos app is still garbage. I used the 950 to film my boss for a short intro since the camera and mic is so good. After every take, I had to wait way too long to show her the preview. At least the current build meant that I didn't lose any of the takes, but it really felt archaic to have to wait so long after shooting a video to view it. And there was a nervous pause after hitting the stop button and wondering if the video would stick.

Yeah, you're right. The app can definitely be better.

NeOak

It is. Being able to take pictures and not having to wait an eternity is the major advantage Lumia Camera on WP8.1 has.

I have to run test between my 950XL and my wife's 950. I remember my XL rendering everything much faster.

https://youtu.be/832u-eLuKsY

Seems like the 950 XL has trouble focusing at high speeds + certain objects/lighting conditions when filming.

Sound is a bit quiet, too, although not robotic tinny sounding.

That front facing camera performance though.
Front facing camera maxes out at 1080p which he didn't crop in the video. It was actually more impressive than the S7 front cam vid due to the 950xl's digital stabilization.

Lumias with high amplitude mics always have a lower volume but they really shine in concert settings.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1682eNMBk

Been on latest insider on Icon, feels great to use. Might hold off on throwing WP to the curb for an iPhone.
Production build really is impressive and stable.

BTW just got my cheap 3rd party continuum hub and mini keyboard pictured with wife's 950 for size comparison. Will post impressions later.
SJNjSnt.jpg

clav

Front facing camera maxes out at 1080p which he didn't crop in the video. It was actually more impressive than the S7 front cam vid due to the 950xl's digital stabilization.

Lumias with high amplitude mics always have a lower volume but they really shine in concert settings.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1682eNMBk

950 XL's FFC definitely was for a video shot.

I guess the advantage of having audio at that level is that you can capture highs and lows without distortion.

Tried Continuum and it works as expected. Very few apps work besides Edge, MSN apps, and Office apps. Valiant Hearts works and looks great in 1080p as does Pandora. Edge becomes full blown desktop Edge on Continuum giving you Netflix and Amazon Prime (video and music but it was crashing). Once I unplugged my phone, Edge had detected the change and reverted back to mobile and I got a "amazon doesn't work on mobile devices unless you use the app on Android..."

I really am not looking to using Continuum frequently but will travel and will take my adapter with me.

Until instagram allows you to save pics and vids, I'm using 6tag.

BTW, latest Outlook calendar update added weather to my calendar. Very nice touch.

Loving this phone and build. Too bad this build didn't come out in October with the releases of the 950s.

Paganmoon

Until instagram allows you to save pics and vids, I'm using 6tag.

BTW, latest Outlook calendar update added weather to my calendar. Very nice touch.

Loving this phone and build. Too bad this build didn't come out in October with the releases of the 950s.

I've had weather from the beginning iirc., though, looking now, the weather icons are more pronounced now than they were before.

joshschw

Why? It was much worse.

Why? Because some people just want a nice, easy to use, basic and quick calendar? I had a much easier time with the old one for what I use it for as well. Bigger is not always better for everyone.

I agree, new one is "better," but that doesn't mean that it's as good for everyone.

hadareud

The Translator
Can't say that I find the new calendar particularly difficult to use, in fact I'd say it's much easier to use than the old one.

But sure, I can understand why someone would prefer something even more lightweight if they didn't use their phone for anything work related.

NeOak

Can't say that I find the new calendar particularly difficult to use, in fact I'd say it's much easier to use than the old one.

But sure, I can understand why someone would prefer something even more lightweight if they didn't use their phone for anything work related.
I would only use my personal phone for work if the company pays for it.

Otherwise, you're doing extra work for free.

So in my case, the WP8.1 calendar is better.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BTW just got my cheap 3rd party continuum hub and mini keyboard pictured with wife's 950 for size comparison. Will post impressions later.
SJNjSnt.jpg

No DisplayPort? Without that, a dock is pretty much useless. Already have the dvi/hdmi/vga adapters for mini DisplayPort. HDMI is covering more and more devices, but still isn't universal enough to be the only supported output. DisplayPort is much more useful.

JaggedSac

Pretty big update to the store. Bunch of UI changes. Were there Game Hubs before? New build fixed a groove issue that the previous build had.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its mostly just Leo pushing chromebooks hard. But if you're just going to go with the "good enough" option for old people, why not just go the whole way and recommend an iPad? If a person wants a laptop, I'm not going to recommend a chromebook. If you want that form factor, Windows 10 is far more versatile.

clav

lol I am starting to dislike both paul and leo.

Only starting?

Its mostly just Leo pushing chromebooks hard. But if you're just going to go with the "good enough" option for old people, why not just go the whole way and recommend an iPad? If a person wants a laptop, I'm not going to recommend a chromebook. If you want that form factor, Windows 10 is far more versatile.

Chromebooks are cheaper and have nice keyboards.

The bottom barrel Windows laptops usually have shitty keyboards.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird, I finally got the new Outlook on the web and i think it busted a lot of my contact photos. Noticed them gone on my phone.

M3d10n

Pretty big update to the store. Bunch of UI changes. Were there Game Hubs before? New build fixed a groove issue that the previous build had.

They finally added update history to the store. I can finally enable auto updates again (there was no way to know when something was updated before.)

Paganmoon

They finally added update history to the store. I can finally enable auto updates again (there was no way to know when something was updated before.)

Strangley, I only get the notification if without the auto-update, if I have auto-update on wifi on, I don't get notifications. Then again, maybe latest update fixed that.

Also Swipe support on Edge. about fucking time! (new fast ring insider build)

hadareud

The Translator
The font in Edge is far too large in the new insider build. Also, Hello is not giving me a wink and a Hello, wtf. And I'm not sure that the check for update function in the Store works.

Other than that it seems solid.

The font in Edge is far too large in the new insider build. Also, Hello is not giving me a wink and a Hello, wtf. And I'm not sure that the check for update function in the Store works.

Other than that it seems solid.

Hello has issues on the desktop build, too. Build 14342.

hadareud

The Translator
The latest fast build really isn't the greatest.

I got so used to even fast builds being very reliable that I'm surprised.

Considering rolling back, but I like the additional Redstone features :(

Top Bottom