• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Check for updates isn't working in the store (have to update apps individually if you want to get updates). My phone switched itself off earlier, battery life isn't great, font size in Edge is too large and Hello isn't winking at me when all I want is to be winked at.

It's not horrible or anything, but a bit buggier than it has been in a while.

derFeef

I thnk we can stop complaining about battery life though, that won't get any better... :/

*reads about Nokia news*
*reads about MS abandoning WP*

Okay...
*opens office window*

hadareud

The Translator
Doesn't sound like Nokia phones and tablets, but "Nokia" phones and tablets.

Also, I haven't read about Micrsoft abandoning WP.

edit: and my battery has been really good so far, apart from in a few builds.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I thnk we can stop complaining about battery life though, that won't get any better... :/

*reads about Nokia news*
*reads about MS abandoning WP*

Okay...
*opens office window*

MS isn't abandoning WP. Where did you see that? lol

tbh this was expected to happen. They weren't actively making featured phone either.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, they are seemingly abandoning the Lumia brand.

Considering they drove that brand completely into the ground from what was a relatively promising position a couple of years ago, I suppose they don't have another option but to start anew with Surface.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Well, they are seemingly abandoning the Lumia brand.

Considering they drove that brand completely into the ground from what was a relatively promising position a couple of years ago, I suppose they don't have another option but to start anew with Surface.

oh, I think I missed that part. I thought this was only for those low end Nokia devices. So now Lumia brand is gone? wow. And if they are still committed to W10M then ya I guess Surface phone is the only option.

oh, I think I missed that part. I thought this was only for those low end Nokia devices. So now Lumia brand is gone? wow. And if they are still committed to W10M then ya I guess Surface phone is the only option.

Microsoft will continue to develop Windows 10 Mobile and support Lumia phones such as the Lumia 650, Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL, and phones from OEM partners like Acer, Alcatel, HP, Trinity and VAIO."

No mention of any future devices.

so with my T-Mobile® Unlimited© Data Plan I would turn on my Lumia 820s mobile hotspot feature on and it would turn immediately off

on my 950 it works surprisingly, well it did for the first week of using it for my surface, then it started redirecting to a "This data connection wont work on this device" I reset the phone and it doesnt redirect

but since then I get less than 56k speeds on it...wat

I mean I was able to get like 3MBps on this thing

my phone still has great speeds tho

hadareud

The Translator
New fast ring update out, I hope it fixes the Hello stuff.

Installing now.

edit: btw the store update did work for desktop and it's a nice improvement imo.

edit: nope, Hello is not fixed and the font size in Edge is still far too large :(

New fast ring update out, I hope it fixes the Hello stuff.

Installing now.

edit: btw the store update did work for desktop and it's a nice improvement imo.

I did the update on my Surface and it seems to have fixed my login issues. It woke up with a blue screen and spinning dots 90% of the time, forcing me to do a hard-reset.

The Store update finally worked, too, and while I've seen the new layout before, I'm still a little disappointed that there are no update notes on the downloads + updates page.

hadareud

The Translator
Now that we pretty much know what Redstone is bringing to mobile and there being a rumour of Redstone 2 & 3 being more mobile/touch focused than the first one, I think it's time to speculate about what we can expect from an OS perspective for their final throw of the dice (Surface Phone).

I think it is fair to say that W10 mobile is nice and stable at this point and pretty feature complete from a basic functionality point of view, so let's leave those things out and concentrate on these things:

- which features that Android, iOS or any other mobile OS's have are missing from W10M and should be implemented?
- anticipating that productivity and business will be the main differentiators that Microsoft want to concentrate on - what can they do to really differentiate themselves from iOS and Android in that space?
- what other spaces should they concentrate on to be a viable alternative to iOS & Android?
- is there anything, anything, that can be done to reduce the app gap beyond what they are already trying to do with UWP?
- which new features would you like to see personally?

MCD

The share function and the "Open with" from apps to links in Android. WM need these badly especially the share capabilities. It's amazing how I can tap the share button, pick WhatsApp and the link and article are formatted automatically in a neat way in Android.

The share function and the "Open with" from apps to links in Android.

Really hinders app use too, and devs must know it. I barely ever use the Facebook app on Windows 10, even though it's probably a better experience than the desktop site (for my SP3). I never use Baconit on desktop also, even though I have it installed and I browse Reddit a fair bit. I go through YouTube and Twitch's sites, despite both having really solid third party apps available.

On the Android phones I'm using right now it's a completely different story. Twitter links open in the app. Vine links open in the app. Imgur links open in the app. And honestly, especially when you're using touch, it's just a nicer experience. They even have a tablet mode that automatically sets itself when disconnected from a keyboard, so they could change the deep linked behaviour based on whether I'm in tablet mode or not. Tablet mode? Open the app. Desktop mode? Open in browser.

I understand trying to push everything to be through the web, but for some things it's just not as good, and lots of sites have better apps than mobile websites these days.

MCD

Really hinders app use too, and devs must know it. I barely ever use the Facebook app on Windows 10, even though it's probably a better experience than the desktop site (for my SP3). I never use Baconit on desktop also, even though I have it installed and I browse Reddit a fair bit. I go through YouTube and Twitch's sites, despite both having really solid third party apps available.

On the Android phones I'm using right now it's a completely different story. Twitter links open in the app. Vine links open in the app. Imgur links open in the app. And honestly, especially when you're using touch, it's just a nicer experience. They even have a tablet mode that automatically sets itself when disconnected from a keyboard, so they could change the deep linked behaviour based on whether I'm in tablet mode or not. Tablet mode? Open the app. Desktop mode? Open in browser.

I understand trying to push everything to be through the web, but for some things it's just not as good, and lots of sites have better apps than mobile websites these days.

Yeah, I love that about android. I can right click anything like a PC and choose if I want this video open in the app or Firefox. It's just make sense.

Another thing I love about Android is how it "captures" verification codes without me inputting anything.

The share function and the "Open with" from apps to links in Android. WM need these badly especially the share capabilities. It's amazing how I can tap the share button, pick WhatsApp and the link and article are formatted automatically in a neat way in Android.

And depending on the app, you even get a preview to the link that you sent or received. It's really good.

MCD

And depending on the app, you even get a preview to the link that you sent or received. It's really good.

yeah, these small things are what impresses me the most. I can live without X app, but everyday OS functionality like that? I need them.

hadareud

The Translator
That would be a good feature to have.

I'd also like to see the ability for app integration into other apps, ie LastPass, like on Android.

A few other things small I'd like to see:

- improved touch interface for Edge (as well as better handling of favourites and tabs)
- extension support for Edge
- actionable live tiles
- implementation of the 3d touch capabilities we've recently seen in the research videos

These are all relatively minor things, or if not minor, stuff we've seen before or relatively logical improvements.

I'm not creative enough to think of any really big new features. Or maybe we're starting to hit a ceiling when it comes to the current iteration of mobile OS's.

Also, I really wonder whether there is something tangible to offer better productivity other than Continuum, and I still don't think Continuum will ever be something too interesting for the mainstream.

Paganmoon

Hadareud: Windows hello winks at me still. At least on latest fast ring (1003)

Though text input here on Gaf is janky as hell. Keyboard wont pop when I select reply sometimes. Not even when selecting a text box does it pop up. Have to reload the compose page to get it working.

JaggedSac

Ok, swipe-navigation is way too fucking sensitive, navigates when scrolling.

Yep, so fucking annoying. Just give me a way to turn it off.

Though text input here on Gaf is janky as hell. Keyboard wont pop when I select reply sometimes. Not even when selecting a text box does it pop up. Have to reload the compose page to get it working.

Yep, same here. I am curious how they keep fixing and goofing up keyboard inputs all the time.

So in switched to the newest fast ring update hoping it would fix the Bluetooth speaker issue that I have but no luck. I have a soundmine speaker that I use in my car but my phone can't connect. It sees the speaker no problem but every time I click on pair it tries but then says want connect. I hope they fix it soon since the speakers on my icon are way to quite for phone use by themselves.

So in switched to the newest fast ring update hoping it would fix the Bluetooth speaker issue that I have but no luck. I have a soundmine speaker that I use in my car but my phone can't connect. It sees the speaker no problem but every time I click on pair it tries but then says want connect. I hope they fix it soon since the speakers on my icon are way to quite for phone use by themselves.
No issues with my car's Bluetooth with my 950XL. I play music, make calls/texts, and Cortana just fine.

hadareud

The Translator

Thanks, weird bug for me then.

No keyboard problems though, so I guess it's different for everyone.

M3d10n

After one of these updates my keyboard was borderline unusable, but I managed to work around it by going into the settings > privacy > speech, inking & typing and pressing "stop getting to know me", which wipes out the learned typing dictionary (it seems to become trashed once in a while).

After one of these updates my keyboard was borderline unusable, but I managed to work around it by going into the settings > privacy > speech, inking & typing and pressing "stop getting to know me", which wipes out the learned typing dictionary (it seems to become trashed once in a while).
Thanks, my keyboard was terrible at suggestions and automatically replacing correct words for others that couldn't even fit in the context and this fixed it.

Top Bottom