• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

Switch to ios then. Things are nice here. Microsoft is all over my home screen.

I'd rather go Android than iOS. But I won't upgrade from my 930 for a long time. New phones don't excite me. As long as the 930 keeps going and they don't take W10M off life support...

Those in here that have gotten Android phones, what do people recommend? Thinking about getting one, ideally with the same type of SIM as the 1520, so I could switch at any point. As I don't know if it'd be a full time move to Android for the foreseeable future I'd like to stay out of the high end price range. Is the 5x a good bet?

Those in here that have gotten Android phones, what do people recommend? Thinking about getting one, ideally with the same type of SIM as the 1520, so I could switch at any point. As I don't know if it'd be a full time move to Android for the foreseeable future I'd like to stay out of the high end price range. Is the 5x a good bet?
I liked my Blu Life One XL that I bought on sale for $99.

clav

5X for now although I'd wait for Nexus phones powered with the 820 chipset.

Getting updates is a big deal. I don't know why people always downplay this problem in Android threads.

I liked my Blu Life One XL that I bought on sale for $99.

There's like zero support for the phone.

Happy with the S7 despite the most boring home screen.

This is a better choice because Samsung has been updating its flagship phones since S6.

Is the battery life on the newest update terrible for everyone else? After 45 minutes it is down 80% with wireless and cellular both off. It died last night while connected to my car charger.

hankster

So I put the nexus 5x aside and pick up my trusty 830 for old times sake. Do still dig this little phone. Dat camera button. Anyway last I remember Groove App had gotten better. Now it doesn't see my OneDrive music. Reset, signed out and back in. No joy. One step forward...

Treo360

Is the battery life on the newest update terrible for everyone else? After 45 minutes it is down 80% with wireless and cellular both off. It died last night while connected to my car charger.
No problems here. Left the phone off the charger all night last night for about 7 hours, woke up and it was still at 100%

GDQIWup.jpg

Nillkin Nature series cases are fantastic. Super thin, covers the edges of the front screen, and are incredibly cheap on eBay.

Tablo

Longer than the platform will be alive so I'm good.
Savage.

OT: had a good Cimo translucent case for my 640, def got yellow and u can see all the crap that gets between it and the phone. Went for a very stylish Tudia case for the 950, it's great. impressed. Loving the 950 so far, camera is fantastic and I'm a photographer who gets paid so I'm not just saying...

JaggedSac

Probably turns yellow within an year.

Problems with clear cases.

Made a thread over here about that arstechnica article: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222362

Seems like no one cares.

Well, its because there isn't much to shit on about it, lol. Its certainly an interesting read given the current controversies related to the shift to Windows 10 and their push for a new software platform. The loop of people complaining about missing features on a new platform and saying they will never update to the new OS continues on, lol.

clav

The cesspool of gaming vitriol leaks to the OT side.

Sometime I wonder what my life would be like if I had really close friends.

Maybe it's time to leave here.

maeh2k

The loop of people complaining about missing features on a new platform and saying they will never update to the new OS continues on, lol.

Microsoft really have their work cut out for them :)

It's ironic. In Mobile, everyone want to get OS upgrades, but it's basically accepted that devices won't be supported for more than 2 years. On the desktop, everyone is pissed that their 7 year old OS gets a free upgrade...

That said, it's understandable that this upgrade causes a few issues here and there and that the people who experience the issues are rather vocal about them.

I am upset that my alienware aurora R3 keeps getting the windows 10 update because it can't install it. Every time they push an update out to my computer it totally breaks it and I have to go through a huge ordeal to get it working again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
From an update standpoint, MS is now on par with Apple. They also have finally realized the dream of a unified platform, long before Google and Apple get there. But it took them so long to get here that nobody cares. They might do a huge push next year when mobile is ready for prime time and the surface phone is released, but it'll be about 18 months late in typical MS fashion.

clav

I am upset that my alienware aurora R3 keeps getting the windows 10 update because it can't install it. Every time they push an update out to my computer it totally breaks it and I have to go through a huge ordeal to get it working again.

What OS does it run now?

NVM. Looking at the downloads page, I can probably guess it's Windows 7.

Hm.

Savage.

OT: had a good Cimo translucent case for my 640, def got yellow and u can see all the crap that gets between it and the phone. Went for a very stylish Tudia case for the 950, it's great. impressed. Loving the 950 so far, camera is fantastic and I'm a photographer who gets paid so I'm not just saying...
I own the tudia case too which is great. I just prefer the thin quality Nillkin Nature case and for $5, you can buy 2 when the 1st one yellows.

Amazing camera indeed. I get compliments from my iphone6 owning friends all the time.

kGIWLCg.jpg

gamz

I'd rather go Android than iOS. But I won't upgrade from my 930 for a long time. New phones don't excite me. As long as the 930 keeps going and they don't take W10M off life support...

Coming from WP I enjoyed IOS much more then Android. I'm on Android now for work and I can't wait to get back to WP or IOS.

joshschw

Try updating the BIOS. Not to say it will fix it, but it did fix two laptops that died on w10 updates from people who asked me for help, and once repudiated to w10 they worked as expected.

What OS does it run now?

NVM. Looking at the downloads page, I can probably guess it's Windows 7.

Hm.

Yep stuck on 7 foreever.

Try updating the BIOS. Not to say it will fix it, but it did fix two laptops that died on w10 updates from people who asked me for help, and once repudiated to w10 they worked as expected.

Dell put out an update for the bios for the R1, R2, and R4, but never for the R3. It is beyond fucking frustrating.

clav

What's the problem you have when you upgrade?

I have 10 running with a modified 8.1 display driver on a 10 year old laptop.

Every time the computer restarts during the upgrade it tries to load the BIOS and since it cant it freezes up. You can force it to install by holding down the power button each time, at 30% and 60%, but then you get a computer with windows 10 that can never be restarted. It just sucks that both the R3 and the R4 came out in 2011 but only the R4 got a BIOS upgrade. I could never install Windows 8 on my R3 either due to the same issue. I have tried both MS and Dell support but no luck with either.

joshschw

Some of these older laptops make it not so simple...

I updated a Dell that installed fine and just black screened. Eventually I updated the BIOS via a DOS boot disk and all was well.

Dell put out an update for the bios for the R1, R2, and R4, but never for the R3. It is beyond fucking frustrating.

Very frustrating. Sorry...

clav

Every time the computer restarts during the upgrade it tries to load the BIOS and since it cant it freezes up. You can force it to install by holding down the power button each time, at 30% and 60%, but then you get a computer with windows 10 that can never be restarted. It just sucks that both the R3 and the R4 came out in 2011 but only the R4 got a BIOS upgrade. I could never install Windows 8 on my R3 either due to the same issue. I have tried both MS and Dell support but no luck with either.

30%? 60%?

I suppose you're talking about the circular setup screen.

You can try clean installing although that involves deleting everything. I would first image your current setup, so you can revert back to it whenever. Even for outside of upgrade reasons. You should always have a backup.

Some of these older laptops make it not so simple...

I updated a Dell that installed fine and just black screened. Eventually I updated the BIOS via a DOS boot disk and all was well.

Jump from 7 to 8.1 is huge since how 8.1 introduced different ways of interacting with UEFI. 7 was the start although incomplete.

It should still install on old setups though with non-upgrades. I hate how that black circular screen is very noninformative as it does a ton of hardware detection and data migration during that phase and can hang.

JaggedSac

Microsoft really have their work cut out for them :)

It's ironic. In Mobile, everyone want to get OS upgrades, but it's basically accepted that devices won't be supported for more than 2 years. On the desktop, everyone is pissed that their 7 year old OS gets a free upgrade...

That said, it's understandable that this upgrade causes a few issues here and there and that the people who experience the issues are rather vocal about them.

Yeah, but my point was that what is happening now with Win10 and UWP is the same thing that has happened in the past with new OSs and Win32 changes. But yeah, I understand the complaints and they certainly should get shit about their upgrade tactics. But as in the past, things will turn out ok, lol.

MCD

They are gonna stop after July. It's getting ailly right now but hope after July I hope things settle down for all involved.

iOS seems like a better fit to me if you are coming from WP. Always has. I have never understood even the urge to go from WP to Android. They seem way further apart than WP and iOS.
MSFT's app support on iOS is pretty great, no doubt about that, but there are some limitations with integration with MSFT services/products that don't exist on Android.

Couple examples being if you have a MS Band, you don't as good phone integration on iOS as you do with WP/Android. Similarly, when Redstone rolls out, Android phones will support messaging sync with desktop among other features that won't be supporting with iOS devices.

Paganmoon

iOS seems like a better fit to me if you are coming from WP. Always has. I have never understood even the urge to go from WP to Android. They seem way further apart than WP and iOS.

I think most say they'll switch to Android due to hardware. The Galaxy Edge series looks really nice, so does Sony phones tbh.

MCD

iOS is too locked down. I don't want iTunes just to put some mp3s in my phone.

Plus if you loved the Lumia camera, Samsung is the best next thing.

gamz

MSFT's app support on iOS is pretty great, no doubt about that, but there are some limitations with integration with MSFT services/products that don't exist on Android.

Couple examples being if you have a MS Band, you don't as good phone integration on iOS as you do with WP/Android. Similarly, when Redstone rolls out, Android phones will support messaging sync with desktop among other features that won't be supporting with iOS devices.

Good point. The one thing I'm thankful for on my Android is the MS apps are really fantastic. Their Arrow Launcher made me like my phone more. I don't use anything google on it besides the browser and never had issues.

Brad Sams published an article about the region restrictions of apps. Nothing new in there, but it's good that the issues is getting some coverage.

Asking on Twitter, you can see a long list of apps not available to everyone such as the newly released Wordflow keyboard for iOS, Bing apps in various regions in Europe, Xbox Smart Glass in some countries and many of the garage apps that come out are limited to the US. I can understand why Groove, which is really a vehicle to distribute licensed music content, is not available in all regions but when Bing is trailing behind in features, Cortana, keyboards and other apps launch to being region locked to the US, it’s frustrating.

While the US is an important market for Microsoft, there are far more users outside the US for these applications than inside which means the company is leaving market share on the table. I asked Microsoft for the reasoning of imposing app restrictions based on geography and they responded with the comment below, which doesn’t provide any sort of insight into why this occurs.

“Today, Windows 10 is on over 300 million active devices around the world and we are committed to working closely with our partners to bring their apps to our fans everywhere.”

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/67327/microsofts-us-centric-approach-apps-leaves-market-share-table

Dat Microsoft non-response.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I agree, iOS seems like a natural switch for anyone who loves WP. But then that stupid iTunes. I can never get over that crap. I just want to drag and drop my files.

Fuck man the more I think about it, the more it hurts. Windows Phone really was the best from both worlds. Cleanness and smoothness of iOS and some what open like Android.

Unfortunately its never going to recover to a point where its a viable option for general public.

Unfortunately its never going to recover to a point where its a viable option for general public.

Truly a shame. In my opinion it is still the most balanced OS out there (even if it still lags in some features) but the circumstances of the market have never been in its favor after it launched back in 2010, and far too many mistakes were done when managing it since then.

Paganmoon

Sooo, I just got an SMS, and before I could get the phone out of my pocket and check, the phone crashed and rebooted... now it's gone and I have no idea what it said, or even who sent it. So far fast ring just keeps getting more and more unstable.

I said I'd stick around the sinking ship. And now this is rock-bottom. I'm the last holdout on Windows Phone I know of. Really sad, and a huge drop in morale since the high times of the 920. It truly was an exciting and capable alternative OS option at the time.

Now, I guess it's finally time to jump ship. At first, efforts were admirable. Now, there's nowhere else for the platform to go.

So which Android phone should I get?

kharma45

I said I'd stick around the sinking ship. And now this is rock-bottom. I'm the last holdout on Windows Phone I know of. Really sad, and a huge drop in morale since the high times of the 920. It truly was an exciting and capable alternative OS option at the time.

Now, I guess it's finally time to jump ship. At first, efforts were admirable. Now, there's nowhere else for the platform to go.

S7E or 6P

What do you want / need from a phone?

Country / network / budget / specific stuff (amazing camera / battery life / power / timely updates).

Top Bottom