• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Do we know the likely timeframe for those?

September probably.

Yeah, they usually launch in Fall. September/October time frame.

The thing with the current Nexus phones is that the 808/2GB RAM in the 5X is barely an upgrade, if you already own a flagship phone and the 6P has the 810, which seems to be fine for general use, but gets warm quickly and throttles, when you start playing a game or something like that.

To be clear, I'm going off impressions from the Android thread, not actual first hand impressions. But those were enough to put me off both phones entirely. I'd only order a 5X, if my OG N5 breaks tomorrow.

All that said, if you're not interested in getting the latest OS updates ASAP, there are other good phones out there. The Galaxy S7 has some nice bells and whistles from the Lumias (glance, alternative to double tap to wake, wireless charging) and the HTC 10 seems like a good all-rounder (without a lot of bloat).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm gun shy with Samsung phones but the feedback on the s7 has been universally great. HTC 10 is another solid choice. I still fear the randomness of Android, where apps can harm a phones performance and battery life and it can be impossible to pinpoint a problem. So you roll along having a great experience and suddenly it all comes crashing down and there's not much you can do about it. So ios is the more stress free experience over time.

MCD

Brad Sams published an article about the region restrictions of apps. Nothing new in there, but it's good that the issues is getting some coverage.

Asking on Twitter, you can see a long list of apps not available to everyone such as the newly released Wordflow keyboard for iOS, Bing apps in various regions in Europe, Xbox Smart Glass in some countries and many of the garage apps that come out are limited to the US. I can understand why Groove, which is really a vehicle to distribute licensed music content, is not available in all regions but when Bing is trailing behind in features, Cortana, keyboards and other apps launch to being region locked to the US, it’s frustrating.

While the US is an important market for Microsoft, there are far more users outside the US for these applications than inside which means the company is leaving market share on the table. I asked Microsoft for the reasoning of imposing app restrictions based on geography and they responded with the comment below, which doesn’t provide any sort of insight into why this occurs.

“Today, Windows 10 is on over 300 million active devices around the world and we are committed to working closely with our partners to bring their apps to our fans everywhere.”

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/67327/microsofts-us-centric-approach-apps-leaves-market-share-table

Dat Microsoft non-response.

I had to sideload Xbox smart glass to my Samsung. Felt like a dirty thief.

ty_hot

I am thinking about upgrading to Win10 agian on my Lumia 640, but 50% of the times that I did it, it messed up everything and I lost a day or two fixing (meaning: reinstalling Win8.1 and setting it up, downloading all apps again etc).

The reason I want to do it is because I cant use Microsoft Health (crashes before opening) and I cant logging in Flickr Central (so i cant upload my phone pictures).

Should I do it?

What do you want / need from a phone?

Country / network / budget / specific stuff (amazing camera / battery life / power / timely updates).
USA At&t.
What will give me that same wow factor like when I got my 920 in early 2013? I'd like a good camera, glance, double-tap, and durable. Seems like the S7, Nexus, and HTC phones are being most recommended. I'd hate to end up with a Samsung phone, to be the same as everyone else - though the hardware looks good. Is that new LG phone also something I'd want?

USA At&t.
What will give me that same wow factor like when I got my 920 in early 2013? I'd like a good camera, glance, double-tap, and durable. Seems like the S7, Nexus, and HTC phones are being most recommended. I'd hate to end up with a Samsung phone, to be the same as everyone else - though the hardware looks good. Is that new LG phone also something I'd want?

Closest to 'wow' off the top of my head:

BlackBerry Priv (for sliding keyboard, timely updates, near-stock)
Galaxy S7 Edge (the display is phenomenal, love that wraparound glass)
LG G6 (gimmicks over substance here to be honest)
HTC 10 (superb build quality)

Potential dark horse, the Xperia Z5. Very, very solid build, nice camera. Not all that common stateside.

kharma45

USA At&t.

Everyone has one because it's the best. Nothing wrong with that.

kazinova

In case anyone who switched is curious most Microsoft apps do not work on Android N. Groove and Microsoft Health are the biggies for me.

HBO Go and a couple others stopped working as well. But since it's primarily MS apps, I just have to assume it's more of Google's trademarked fuckery.

Update your apps MS!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The price points on both phones were ridiculous. The incredible, innovative 920 debuted at $450. The 520 was at one time the best value in phones. So not only did MS take a step back with developers and OS stability, they took a massive step back in value as well.

The price points on both phones were ridiculous. The incredible, innovative 920 debuted at $450. The 520 was at one time the best value in phones. So not only did MS take a step back with developers and OS stability, they took a massive step back in value as well.

I have wondered for a while why the prices seemed to go up so much. I dont pay attention to the other phone makers though, so I dont know if MS was trying to respond to something Google or Apple did. I am sure there is some crazy rule where you cant have your high end phone be cheaper then other companies high end phones.

Closest to 'wow' off the top of my head:

BlackBerry Priv (for sliding keyboard, timely updates, near-stock)
Galaxy S7 Edge (the display is phenomenal, love that wraparound glass)
LG G6 (gimmicks over substance here to be honest)
HTC 10 (superb build quality)

Potential dark horse, the Xperia Z5. Very, very solid build, nice camera. Not all that common stateside.

While looking for an update timeline on OnePlus phones, I found out that the timely updates on Blackberry devices isn't really a thing.

Google released 6.0 on October 5th, Blackberry released the 6.0 update for the Priv one month ago. Really disappointing for a near-stock phone.

joshschw

Software on Samsung's devices is good now. We're a long way from the days of the S3 and S4.

I definitely disagree. People still hand me the newest Galaxy phones for tech help, and it's just as much of a disaster as it's ever been.

Performance is abysmal in addition to everything being everywhere. (note, these are casual users, so they DO likely install crap that shouldn't be, etc...)

Same as always, maybe it's not quite as ugly though?

If you guys want to get Android phones stay away from the Galaxy line! It's couldn't be more the opposite of WP.

kharma45

Sorry but that's bollocks. Abysmal performance? Pull the other one. There is not a chance in hell you're experiencing that on an S6/S7/N5.

NeOak

While looking for an update timeline on OnePlus phones, I found out that the timely updates on Blackberry devices isn't really a thing.

Google released 6.0 on October 5th, Blackberry released the 6.0 update for the Priv one month ago. Really disappointing for a near-stock phone.
They release the monthly security updates on time.

joshschw

Is it on those phones? They'd be an extreme minority if so. I've seen people shit on them for ugly software but not it being slow.

Why would I make this up? S6 and N5's

Don't really know anyone with an S7 yet.

Someone else I know got one of those smaller LG tablets and a new S6 at same time. The LG tablet ran MUCH better and this was both were brand new.

kharma45

Why would I make this up? S6 and N5's

Don't really know anyone with an S7 yet.

Someone else I know got one of those smaller LG tablets and a new S6 at same time. The LG tablet ran MUCH better and this was both were brand new.

It's the internet, most people talk through their arses that's why.

The only issue I've ever heard with the S6 was it not holding apps in memory, which was fixed with MM. Beyond that it's a zippy device from what I've experienced with them and read about them. Never experienced a Note 5 first hand since they're not on sale here but I'd imagine similar performance to the S6 but I remember reading it didn't have the RAM management issues.

joshschw

It's the internet, most people talk through their arses that's why.

The only issue I've ever heard with the S6 was it not holding apps in memory, which was fixed with MM. Beyond that it's a zippy device.

Sorry, you're right. This is really only thread I post in here though.

I don't deny your experience. I also made sure to note that these are just casual/average users.

They'll install anything - and everything! - and that obviously plays a factor as well. But, on the other hand, that is a part of Android and these devices - one app can totally take over your phone if you let it.

I am always telling Android folks to not install ANYTHING :D
I assume the phones come with stuff like Facebook and email apps, and if they delve into that store, bad things happen.

Everyone has one because it's the best. Nothing wrong with that.
Use to just be the absence of choice. "Are you Apple, or Samsung", without even considering other options. And it's apparently only recently gotten better than the bloated, flimsy, plastic phones that were the S3 and/or S4.

kharma45

Sorry, you're right. This is really only thread I post in here though.

I don't deny your experience. I also made sure to note that these are just casual/average users.

They'll install anything - and everything! - and that obviously plays a factor as well. But, on the other hand, that is a part of Android and these devices - one app can totally take over your phone if you let it.

I am always telling Android folks to not install ANYTHING :D
I assume the phones come with stuff like Facebook and email apps, and if they delve into that store, bad things happen.

Sorry if I came across a bit of a dick, I assumed it was another dick on Samsung post. It is strange performance is suffering with top end SoC, RAM and storage inside.

Use to just be the absence of choice. "Are you Apple, or Samsung", without even considering other options. And it's apparently only recently gotten better than the bloated, flimsy, plastic phones that were the S3 and/or S4.

Recently as in autumn 2014 with the Note 4?

JaggedSac

I have wondered for a while why the prices seemed to go up so much. I dont pay attention to the other phone makers though, so I dont know if MS was trying to respond to something Google or Apple did. I am sure there is some crazy rule where you cant have your high end phone be cheaper then other companies high end phones.

Think it was because they no longer wanted to sell them at a loss and they no longer cared about market share.

Klocker

Regarding newest Redstone build... why did they remove the auto brightness option from the notification button? Now you need to go to settings to turn auto on or off... also occasional extreme battery usage on this build

hwalker84

Nah, phablets don't count, if that even is a category anymore.

So does any other phone even offer double-tap to wake? I can't go back to a time without that feature.
One plus one not only had that but it had gestures while the screen was off. For example if you drew a circle the flashlight would come on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is it on those phones? They'd be an extreme minority if so. I've seen people shit on them for ugly software but not it being slow.

You really haven't been a Samsung owner long enough. Stick to the s7 defense, the reviews say it is an improved experience. But don't make blanket statements going back to even last year's devices. I owned an s6.

Edit: and S5, and Note 4. The issues are real.

kharma45

One plus one not only had that but it had gestures while the screen was off. For example if you drew a circle the flashlight would come on.

They were far from reliable gestures though.

You really haven't been a Samsung owner long enough. Stick to the s7 defense, the reviews say it is an improved experience. But don't make blanket statements going back to even last year's devices. I owned an s6.

Edit: and S5, and Note 4. The issues are real.

I remember your troubles but still a minority experience from what I've read online and from talking to people with the devices.

NeOak

I remember your troubles but still a minority experience from what I've read online and from talking to people with the devices.

Someone I know that has a 6 Edge+ has complained about the slowdown after installing apps. So no. The problems are real.

And has said that the slowdown is noticeable after coming from a Lumia 1520.

I just got the Mashmellow update last month on the OnePlus One, I think that is normal. Beside having to test to make sure it works with particular hardware, I read somewhere that other company get their codes after release and not before. So 6 months is probably reasonable time frame no?

derFeef

If I would jump ship (at the moment there is no reason for me).
I would stay away from the Galaxy phones personally - i just dislike the brand and the blind love for it. Maybe look into iPhones. I really do not like Android...

MCD

If I would jump ship (at the moment there is no reason for me).
I would stay away from the Galaxy phones personally - i just dislike the brand and the blind love for it. Maybe look into iPhones. I really do not like Android...

I don't love the galaxy line nor Android but the camera is crazy good. You can't deny that.

I just got the Mashmellow update last month on the OnePlus One, I think that is normal. Beside having to test to make sure it works with particular hardware, I read somewhere that other company get their codes after release and not before. So 6 months is probably reasonable time frame no?

I can't say that 6 months are reasonable, when Google is about to finish the next version. And if other manufactures get it sooner than others, then it's tough luck for the rest. LG released 6.0 for the G3 and G4 in late November/December. Samsung was already pretty late (as usual) with shipping the update in March and April. I can't say that's acceptable these days anymore.

Top Bottom