• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you can do pretty much anything except call and text if you use wifi? It's crazy how much value you get for that price compared to anything else.

Yep. And if you pop a SIM in temporarily you can register it to whatsapp or vine etc, then use that via wifi for your messaging needs

Loonz

Yeah, it's pretty amazing really. And another great thing about it is I've dropped it about 20 times and it hasn't broken. The back pops off and the battery falls out when you drop it, but no cracked screen and not even a scratch. I'm not sure if that's a common experience, but if it was an iphone it would be fucked.

Yeah, pretty rugged phone, for cheap.

Best of all, you can use a 32GB microSD card on it. You can get way more internal memory than most phones nowadays, for what, 20$?. Wish Apple, Samsung and the rest allowed this on all their phones, it's ridiculous how they use memory space as an excuse to up the price so much on most of their offerings...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Both the 520 and the 620 remind me a lot of the old Nokias of yore; honest beasts that just did what they had to do. I feel a strange fascination with Nokia's low end, even if I wouldn't buy one of those phones because I actually need a good screen and an excellent camera.

My 920 still takes some terrific dusk pictures, but I wish it could be a bit faster in low light conditions.

Mario007

I'm having trouble with connecting my Lumia 920 to my computer through the usb cable. It worked perfectly before but now it says the devide is not recognised? I tried uninstalling the the driver, rebooting my PC, rebooting my phone etc. and got nothing. I'm on Windows 8.1 btw. Any suggestions?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm having trouble with connecting my Lumia 920 to my computer through the usb cable. It worked perfectly before but now it says the devide is not recognised? I tried uninstalling the the driver, rebooting my PC, rebooting my phone etc. and got nothing. I'm on Windows 8.1 btw. Any suggestions?

I'm having a fuckton of issues with W8.1 and cellphones, not just WP ones. I can access their files, but I can't copy shit to them. I fear it may be OS related...

MarkusRJR

So what's the deal with the WP9 rumors? Are we expecting all the phones to basically receive the update?

Also, semi-unrelated question but what's going to happen to Windows 8 RT now that W9 is rumored to be announced soon.

Mario007

I'm having a fuckton of issues with W8.1 and cellphones, not just WP ones. I can access their files, but I can't copy shit to them. I fear it may be OS related...

Yeah it seems like it :( I was hoping to get my 920 back to WP 8 and then get Cyan but I don't think you can do that without the PC?

So what's the deal with the WP9 rumors? Are we expecting all the phones to basically receive the update?

Also, semi-unrelated question but what's going to happen to Windows 8 RT now that W9 is rumored to be announced soon.
That's what we're all expecting... Unless they change the core again (extremely unlikely considering how they finally got everything to a single one) everyone should get the update.

Windows 8RT is rumoured to be merged into Windows Phone

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

RFfqRAx.jpg

Vyer

Those of you with higher end phones: how smooth is the OneDrive integration? The 520 seems to struggle a little with accessing my OneDrive stuff, but I figured that's just because it's a 520. I'm hoping that accessing OneDrive would be pretty snappy on a Windows Phone with stronger hardware.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those of you with higher end phones: how smooth is the OneDrive integration? The 520 seems to struggle a little with accessing my OneDrive stuff, but I figured that's just because it's a 520. I'm hoping that accessing OneDrive would be pretty snappy on a Windows Phone with stronger hardware.

It's buttery smooth on my old 920. 3G coverage is the only potential breaker.

Vyer

It's buttery smooth on my old 920. 3G coverage is the only potential breaker.

Sweet. Enjoying using this 520, but all it really ends up doing is making me wish I had a higher end Windows Phone to play around with. lol

Really wish I had been able to take advantage of that $99 920 that happened at Frys a few months back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I just spent about an hour on my 930 browsing my onedrive photo albums to pick favourites for the photos live tile. Was seamless from within the photos app and worked great.

I think it might have something to do with how USB drivers are handled now in Windows 8.1. Not entirely sure what the issue is exactly, but there's a few devices that I have that no longer work correctly ever since the update to Windows 8.1 (Corsair Link software for liquid cooling unit for the CPU basically was completely broken upon 8.1, and still hasn't been fixed for anyone)

KageMaru

The claim is Cyan makes it so videos and photos shot in low light won't look like complete garbage on the Icon.

I guess the picture improvements are noticeable with low light and better colors but the video recording is still pretty crap in low light. =/ At least that's what I remember reading about the 930.

New rumor is dev preview update is coming in December with multi-window support for 4.7" screens and larger.

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/adv...9-likely-succeed-windows-phone-052543790.html

Hmm... upon resetting my Telus 620 (using the Nokia tool) in hopes Cyan would be released in the coming weeks, it downloads Cyan.

Let my fourth evaluation of Windows Phone begin.

royalan

A month with Windows Phone.

A Lumia 635.

I have my minor gripes, but overall I still love the OS.

Still hands-down the best solution for a "start screen". The only gripe with it is that I'm constantly rearranging the start screen because it's so cool.

App situation needs work, but it has all the major apps covered, so I don't really feel how limited the app situation is.

LOVE the Office/OneDrive integration

It's just a bunch of minor things that MS needs to clean up at this point. And I DO wish there were higher end models I could upgrade to (I would have done so already),

A month with Windows Phone.

A Lumia 635.

I have my minor gripes, but overall I still love the OS.

Still hands-down the best solution for a "start screen". The only gripe with it is that I'm constantly rearranging the start screen because it's so cool.

App situation needs work, but it has all the major apps covered, so I don't really feel how limited the app situation is.

LOVE the Office/OneDrive integration

It's just a bunch of minor things that MS needs to clean up at this point. And I DO wish there were higher end models I could upgrade to (I would have done so already),
Major apps are there but aren't updated like their iPhone counterparts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh we're in community now..

Does anyone else find the 930/icon screen a little blurry with movement? Overall I like the screen (and thank goodness they kept double tap to wake..), but it when scrolling web pages it feels more blurry than my 920

Oh we're in community now..

Does anyone else find the 930/icon screen a little blurry with movement? Overall I like the screen (and thank goodness they kept double tap to wake..), but it when scrolling web pages it feels more blurry than my 920

920 has that ridiculous refresh rate, if I recall. I don't think any other WP match it in that regard. I immediately noticed a difference when going to my 925.

Peter Bright from Ars Technica just tweeted this.

The Android M8 has much, much better battery life than the Windows Phone one. But with an important proviso.

zatara

Peter Bright from Ars Technica just tweeted this.

The Android M8 has much, much better battery life than the Windows Phone one. But with an important proviso.

I have both (my brother is using the windows one and I have the android one now but I've used both)..without battery saver on they both provide the same experience battery wise.

I mean battery saver on android m8

Rad Agast

Just received the official cyan 8.1 update on my 920. Since I'm not in the USA, how can I get Cortana working? Is it worth the hassle?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just received the official cyan 8.1 update on my 920. Since I'm not in the USA, how can I get Cortana working? Is it worth the hassle?

Sign up for the dev preview. Easy to do. I'd do it for the live folders, but not so much for cortana. Most things just end up being a web search, which you could do before.

Sign up for the dev preview. Easy to do. I'd do it for the live folders, but not so much for cortana. Most things just end up being a web search, which you could do before.

I love how much easier it is to set reminders with Cortona. I cant imagine how I did it before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love how much easier it is to set reminders with Cortona. I cant imagine how I did it before.

I only tried with short timers which didn't work. What other things can you do?

Also, is there an app or setting that lets you cycle through different background wallpapers?

I only tried with short timers which didn't work. What other things can you do?

Also, is there an app or setting that lets you cycle through different background wallpapers?

I use "remind me to do X when I get home" all the time. You can also do it for when you talk to a person the next time, when you get to a certain type of location, when you leave a location, etc.

Top Bottom