• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wouldn't mind pivoting it towards the eventual Surface Phone.

It's quite probably one of the most amusing, helpful and well meaning communities we have at GAF.

hadareud

The Translator
It's not over yet.

There's one more phone to come in about a years time. Then there will be excitement, everyone will think that there's a small chance it will work out, and then it will be over.

Milchjon

I am not at all convinced that a Windows Surface Phone is gonna be all that useful.

As always, great hardware needs apps, apps need users, masses of users won't come from one business-focused device.

So sad. Loved my 800 and 920 to death.

Terry's internal memo around the killing of almost 2,000 jobs and the state of Windows Phone.

Team,

Last week we announced the sale of our feature phone business. Today I want to share that we are taking the additional step of streamlining our smartphone hardware business, and we anticipate this will impact up to 1,850 jobs worldwide, up to 1,350 of which are in Finland. These changes are incredibly difficult because of the impact on good people who have contributed greatly to Microsoft. Speaking on behalf of Satya and the entire Senior Leadership Team, we are committed to help each individual impacted with our support, resources, and respect.

For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts.

With this focus, our Windows strategy remains unchanged:

1. Universal apps. We have built an amazing platform, with a rich innovation roadmap ahead. Expanding the devices we reach and the capabilities for developers is our top priority.

2. We always take care of our customers, Windows phones are no exception. We will continue to update and support our current Lumia and OEM partner phones, and develop great new devices.

3. We remain steadfast in our pursuit of innovation across our Windows devices and our services to create new and delightful experiences. Our best work for customers comes from our device, platform, and service combination.

At the same time, our company will be pragmatic and embrace other mobile platforms with our productivity services, device management services, and development tools -- regardless of a person's phone choice, we want everyone to be able to experience what Microsoft has to offer them.

With that all said... I used the words "be more focused" above. This in fact describes what we are doing (we're scaling back, but we're not out!), but at the same time I don't love it because it lacks the emotional impact of this decision. When I look back on our journey in mobility, we've done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact. At the same time, Ars Technica recently published a long story documenting our journey to create the universal platform for our developers. The story shows the real challenges we faced, and the grit required to get it done. The story closes with this:

"And as long as it has taken the company, Microsoft has still arguably achieved something that its competitors have not... It took more than two decades to get there, but Microsoft still somehow got there first."

For me, that's what focus can deliver for us, and now we get to build on that foundation to build amazing products.

Terry

kazinova

It's not over yet.

There's one more phone to come in about a years time. Then there will be excitement, everyone will think that there's a small chance it will work out, and then it will be over.

Oh lawd, this is too real. My wife will be devastated when that phone fails and it's all over. She was a WinMo-mofo from way back.

I'll probably snag a 950 when they're dirt cheap this year in order to roll into the Surface Phone. I hope this OT never dies, I'll miss it too dearly.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It's not over yet.

I dont think it will ever be over. Windows on ARM is too damn important. It will be over when MS is over.

hadareud

The Translator
The good news is that even if that's the case, there will be good support for Windows Phone for another 2 years or so.

Who knows what will happen in 2 years. The world may no longer exist.

My next phone will be the surface phone, whatever happens. If even that fails miserably, I will look at other OSs, but right now, I don't even use google search, so an android device isn't for me. And I don't see myself buying one of those random Chinese no-google-android devices.

My next phone will be the surface phone, whatever happens. If even that fails miserably, I will look at other OSs, but right now, I don't even use google search, so an android device isn't for me. And I don't see myself buying one of those random Chinese no-google-android devices.

Even on Google devices you don't have to use any of the Google stuff to have a great experience.

I've replaced Google Now with Cortana entirely, I use the great Outlook app instead of Google Mail (disabled) and have Office instead of Docs (disabled). OneDrive backups my photos, so there's no need for Google Photos.

Android is pretty great.

Really like Terry's email. Its spot on and more honest than just PR.
It's a internal memory firing about 2000 people from their mobile division I an not sure what you were expecting. It is actually pretty sad to read for me as someone who love Windows Phone since Zune day. It read more like a defeat to me as far as their own mobile platform. Words like scaling back and such just code word for ending development.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Brad Sam's is going to be doing a special podcast about Xbox this morning. Should be interesting, he seems excited. That news should filter to the gaming side.

If the current builds were shit I'd worry. The Surface Phone is still on its way and MS is still hammering out the Universal apps.

That letter is really the death of the Lumia not the platform.

Try Android, wait to get the 950s on the cheap, then buy a Surface Phone.

It's funny how people are completely dismissing Brad's info after the podcast, even though he mentioned that he got internal documents and is usually a good source.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Brad Sam's is going to be doing a special podcast about Xbox this morning. Should be interesting, he seems excited. That news should filter to the gaming side.

Oh fuck

It's a internal memory firing about 2000 people from their mobile division I an not sure what you were expecting. It is actually pretty sad to read for me as someone who love Windows Phone since Zune day. It read more like a defeat to me as far as their own mobile platform. Words like scaling back and such just code word for ending development.

Defeat? Yes, scaling back? Yes. Ending development? Absolutely not. Thats one thing the email made very clear. This is the first time MS has said, in a way that we tried, we have lost. BUT we will not give up. We will continue to focus on things that will differentiate our phone. I think that was the big take away. At least for me.

clav

The way I see it is with devices like the 650 still produced way long after announcements of reduction in portfolio and disparity of features like no Windows Hello + Continuum, announcement is inevitable. Mobile division was still disorganized.

950 was a start, but too bad Windows 10 Mobile was in a poor shape then.

They only need one device / one flagship that defines mobile, not the many sizes / shapes / configs that were under Windows Phone 7 + 8/8.1 eras.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs though.

Still look forward to the inevitable Surface Phone.

If the current builds were shit I'd worry. The Surface Phone is still on its was and MS is still hammering out the Universal apps.

That letter is really the death of the Lumia not the platform.

Try Android, wait to get the 950s on the cheap, then buy a Surface Phone.
Just not sure a surface phone will turn things around. How will consumers and the retail channel react to the company that left them in the lurch a year ago?

Something that has always bugged me about this whole focus on universal apps is you have to fundamentally change the ui when you are using another form factor and even the back end of apps should act differently not sucking up power in the background etc. It just seems like you have to rewrite the app regardless.

Something that has always bugged me about this whole focus on universal apps is you have to fundamentally change the ui when you are using another form factor and even the back end of apps should act differently not sucking up power in the background etc. It just seems like you have to rewrite the app regardless.

Your UI has to adapt, sure. But it's not fundamentally different. You have the same information you want to present to the user, and the user can do a similar set of actions. This means that a lot of code can be shared. Power drain might not be a concern for desktop users, but it is for laptops and anything smaller, so apps already need to be efficient.

nillapuddin

its gunna be okay guys,

right?

ITS GUNNA BE OKAY RIGHT?!?

tumblr_mfdy2vdgU41rujpd6o1_500.gif

a single tear falls down my cheek

Savage.

I like it.
Well, it's not wrong. Especially after today's message. First, it was the mass exodus 2 years after the 920 and no one had anything to upgrade to. Sinking ship, spiraling drain, all those metaphors. This is the end part of it.

So, LG G5? I'm willing to buy as early as next month, unless I should wait longer.

MCD

Just not sure a surface phone will turn things around. How will consumers and the retail channel react to the company that left them in the lurch a year ago?

I don't believe Surface is meant to turn things around. I think of it as this one device that carries the MS mobile brand once a year. If it catches on like the bigger Surfaces, great. If not, well it doesn't matter since they will keep it real and low profile.

Just my guess.

It's getting quite annoying not being able to use Discord on the go on my phone...

Sometimes, it's the problem of That One App(tm).

Though I'm still wondering if there exists Android phones that run as fast as they did when new after 2 or more years...

NeOak

It's getting quite annoying not being able to use Discord on the go on my phone...

Sometimes, it's the problem of That One App(tm).

Though I'm still wondering if there exists Android phones that run as fast as they did when new after 2 or more years...
Friend of mine with 950XL told me he uses it on Edge, forcing the desktop website.

maeh2k

It's funny how people are completely dismissing Brad's info after the podcast, even though he mentioned that he got internal documents and is usually a good source.

Now that they've finally managed to get UWP apps on Xbox, it's probably the right time for a cheap, media focused Xbox product. However, with phones and tablets, the whole idea of a device you plug into your TV is kind of on its way out. The fight for the living room is long over; mobile has won. Strategically they'd do better competing with the Amazon Echo, Google Home, Apple whatever...

Relevant article: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/11/24/tv-mobile-and-the-living-room

maeh2k

If Cortana is gonna be on Xbox, what's the need for another Echo like device?

Xbox isn't always on and gets held back by the TV.
Just in terms of placement in the home, that's not necessarily where people would place an audio-only device.

Edit: also brand plays a role here, too. Xbox's tie to gaming might be detrimental when competing with Amazon and Google in a space that's not at all gaming related.

maeh2k

Why would you need TV if they enable Cortana in the always on mode which exists already?

It's not an echo competitor. Doesn't even have a speaker. By the time you build an Xbox that also competes with an Echo, you end up with an unfocused product that won't make anyone happy and will be seen as just another Xbox and not a new must-have gadget.

JaggedSac

Now that they've finally managed to get UWP apps on Xbox, it's probably the right time for a cheap, media focused Xbox product. However, with phones and tablets, the whole idea of a device you plug into your TV is kind of on its way out. The fight for the living room is long over; mobile has won. Strategically they'd do better competing with the Amazon Echo, Google Home, Apple whatever...

Relevant article: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/11/24/tv-mobile-and-the-living-room

I'm sure as hell not using my phone to stream everything to my TV. And I am not really happy about Vizio plopping a tablet in with their 2016 tvs. If I needed a device to put content on my TV, I'll buy one I want.

clav

If Cortana is gonna be on Xbox, what's the need for another Echo like device?

Speakers are the hottest thing on the market right now and are taking a lot of floor space at retail stores.

This is just Target, too. I'd imagine a lot more at Best Buy and Costco.

You basically have three aisles dedicated to headphones/speakers.

Google has an answer soon.

Apple with beats has headphones.

Microsoft. Who knows? They still make Mice and Keyboards. Xbox sort of has a headset.

hadareud

The Translator
After the horror that was Xbox Music, I quite like Groove now. Zune was ahead of its time and the same cannot be said about Groove, but it's functional, quite nice to use and quite good overall.

MCD

After the horror that was Xbox Music, I quite like Groove now. Zune was ahead of its time and the same cannot be said about Groove, but it's functional, quite nice to use and quite good overall.

Groove is decent on Windows now. But I cannot say the same about the Android app.

And the name just plain sucks.

Top Bottom