• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As usual, there is really nothing special about the app that anybody should care. The bad news is the message it sends about the state of the development environment. Continues the narrative about the failing platform.

maeh2k

"Despite Microsoft’s historical dominance, Google is beating Microsoft in every category on mobile. In email, Google’s app usage outpaces Microsoft by 14 times. Google Sheets even boasts many more users than Microsoft Excel, an area where purists have traditionally continued to prefer Microsoft.

But what about as a suite? Even viewing all of Microsoft and Google’s products together, eight times more people used one or more Google productivity apps in the past month, compared to Microsoft." (source)

Seems like that might be an antitrust issue, with OEMs having to install Google apps. Or Microsoft just took too long to get their productivity apps on Android.

maeh2k

Harsh words from Thurrott: "But stop pretending that Windows phone solves problems that iPhone and Android do not. These other platforms are vastly superior to Windows phone now. Sorry." (source)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google requires an install of their office knockoff apps. Not surprised their usage is high. Can't even delete them from your phone either, the only option is to disable them, which most users won't do. I think this is why MS was making deals with OEMs to include office in their Android phones. Office on mobile is fantastic, too.

CaptainABAB

Google requires an install of their office knockoff apps. Not surprised their usage is high. Can't even delete them from your phone either, the only option is to disable them, which most users won't do. I think this is why MS was making deals with OEMs to include office in their Android phones. Office on mobile is fantastic, too.

I was able to uninstall Docs, Sheets and Slides from my Nexus 5x...?

Well the speaker on my 930 sounds like it is about to give up the ghost, so it looks like an opportunity to switch back so Android.

I've been using Windows Phone from day 1, so it's bittersweet.

Paganmoon

latest hotfix update (after finally going past the windows logo) now refuses to lunch AC: Pirates, says "there might be an update on he store" same when launching Minesweeper. when's this supposed to ship again?

"vastly".

How? Apart from the app gap, obviously.

"how, apart from how"

didn't help Hangouts.

My god this build is so much better then the last one. Phone not getting nuclear hot anymore, I have had my phone off the charger for over an hour and it is still at 87%, thank you based MS.

Raide

Last update made all my notifications Bork up. Can only have 1 active and when I try to switch on the others, it plays this weird game where it switches old ones off. Haha. Weird.

Good lawd, the keyboard on Android is still terrible. Swiftkey is not any better, I really miss wordflow. :(
yup, and the screen of icons and mismatched widgets pale in comparison to WP's home screen.

yeah you can add a launcher but then have to worry about skinned android and possible performance issues.

I figured I'd mention this here in case somebody has one of those Lumia Trade-In codes and were planning to buy the L950. There's a thread on Slickdeals that alerted me to it, but there seems to be some kind of wonky price discounting if you go through the EDU store and then use the trade-in coupon which overall drops the price of the 950 to $250.

Moto-Z-Droid.jpg

MotoMods.jpg

NeOak

Ooh, found the deal for the 950. Still, idk. It think it would be a downgrade from my 1520.

Maybe Continuum would allow me to really use my Unlimited data though. But that 808 is so underwhelming.

clav

As much as I like touting the Nexus 5X on this board, I have to agree the 808 is not very good.

You see reports like the Moto X Pure and LG G4 requiring service in less than an year.

Poor quality product from Qualcomm.

My guess is the high resolution is pushing the phones too much. Luckily the Nexus 5X runs at 1080p.

I hope you people waiting for the Surface phone are currently living in the Tier 1 countries.
It looks like the new strategy for MS phones is pretty much what everyone expected since last year, with a focus on the Enterprise market and conceding the mainstream to Android and iOS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you people waiting for the Surface phone are currently living in the Tier 1 countries.
It looks like the new strategy for MS phones is pretty much what everyone expected since last year, with a focus on the Enterprise market and conceding the mainstream to Android and iOS.

Was just going to comment on that. Canada not on the list even though we are considered tier 1 for Surface, etc.

Sydle

So between Android and iOS, which one has the better MS apps? I'm a daily, heavy user of Groove Music, OneDrive, and Outlook.

Vyer

So between Android and iOS, which one has the better MS apps? I'm a daily, heavy user of Groove Music, OneDrive, and Outlook.

pretty much the same IIRC. MS is very good at updating/supporting their apps on both platforms. I'd say iOS probably has it a little better, if only because it often gets releases first, like Wordflow for example.

Just read about Lumia being ended. Very sad to see the brand go. Really was hoping to see Win 10 get app support and be able to jump back in a year or two from release.

Good times. Started off with a Samsung focus. Then when MS was having promotions in which you would have to go in to the store and challenge them for some tasks on a phone, I was able to score a Lumia 900 after trading in my iPhone 2g for free.

Then upgrades to a 920 when that launched,

Left the platform a little over a year ago. Went to a One Plus One, but currently using a 6s+.

Still believe that the Windows Phone UI is the best UI.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So Here maps is no longer available on Windows Phone? That's why the guy at the Microsoft store told me.

Is there another offline GPS app you can use? I wanted to get my Dad a 550 because he needs to replace his dumb phone and I thought it would be easiest to use but he won't have data. I figured it would be a bonus to have GPS though as long as it doesn't require online.

MCD

So Here maps is no longer available on Windows Phone? That's why the guy at the Microsoft store told me.

Is there another offline GPS app you can use? I wanted to get my Dad a 550 because he needs to replace his dumb phone and I thought it would be easiest to use but he won't have data. I figured it would be a bonus to have GPS though as long as it doesn't require online.

MS maps support offline and uses some data from Here.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
MS maps support offline and uses some data from Here.

Ok cool. I asked what the maps app was and he didn't even know. Even the MS store employees don't know anything about Windows Phone apparently.

Top Bottom