• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Sydle

Outlook and OneDrive are fantastic on Android. Groove? Last updated sometime last year.

pretty much the same IIRC. MS is very good at updating/supporting their apps on both platforms. I'd say iOS probably has it a little better, if only because it often gets releases first, like Wordflow for example.

Thanks.

I'm not ready to jump off WP yet, my 640XL with WP10 has been working perfectly fine, but good to know the support level is mostly high on either Android or iOS. I suppose I could switch to Spotify or Google Play if Groove doesn't work well elsewhere.

dLMN8R

How's the W10M camera app now compared to Lumia Camera 5.0?

My wife's 950 XL is by far the best camera I've ever used on a phone - and I personally have an iPhone 6S Plus.

The Camera app is excellent now, at least on the 950XL. It loads instantly, takes pictures instantly, and picture quality itself is best-in-class. And it still retains the control and manual adjustments that Lumia Camera had.

Thanks.

I'm not ready to jump off WP yet, my 640XL with WP10 has been working perfectly fine, but good to know the support level is mostly high on either Android or iOS. I suppose I could switch to Spotify or Google Play if Groove doesn't work well elsewhere.

I can't talk about Android, but at least in iOS it works, even if it is a barebones experience compared to the Windows UWP. It depends on your needs of a music player.

NeOak

My wife's 950 XL is by far the best camera I've ever used on a phone - and I personally have an iPhone 6S Plus.

The Camera app is excellent now, at least on the 950XL. It loads instantly, takes pictures instantly, and picture quality itself is best-in-class. And it still retains the control and manual adjustments that Lumia Camera had.

I guess I can update back to the production branch then.

950 cameras are best in class but the app still needs work. There are focusing issues with slow-mo and HDR processing issues when shooting bursts.

MS maps support offline and uses some data from Here.

The Ms maps is utterly terrible for me at the moment though. It simply refuses to give any local result pointing me to other states and sometimes even countries instead.

Even for POIs that show right there on the map near me, I make a search and it only shows another place Thousand miles aways.

MCD

The Ms maps is utterly terrible for me at the moment though. It simply refuses to give any local result pointing me to other states and sometimes even countries instead.

Even for POIs that show right there on the map near me, I make a search and it only shows another place Thousand miles aways.

Your best bet is to PM a dev on the Maps app on Reddit/. He was Dave or something on /r windowsphone. Search for Maps thread there.

Personally, I feel the Maps app is a joke. Maps is just like a search engine. The more people use it, the better it gets. But this thing is only available on Windows. Worse than Bing search restricted to US only.

clav

Dammit I was looking at a 6P too and your comment made me look up some long term reviews. Kinda scary, sounds like a lot of similar problems people complain about on preview W10 builds here. Are Nexus phones the android fast ring?

Something to consider about the 6P: https://youtu.be/tTIaUH6PIvo

5x: https://youtu.be/-MC9Zc7uzd0

950 XL: https://youtu.be/snmG1QOOXXI

Android updates are not like Windows updates. Microsoft is trying to do updates like they do for the desktop/laptop way (traditional). Difficult attempt since these embedded devices generally are written with images that require a total reflash/reset. That's why you always see users complaining on smartphones/tablets about stuff not working after an update.

That said, Google writing the updates will allow you to be patched up to the latest security bulletin. Very important in today's tech world. Often, cheap Android phones are rarely or never updated because updating a device's kernel can break the current driver. Non-Nexus phones typically lag behind on updating to the latest.

hankster

I figured I'd mention this here in case somebody has one of those Lumia Trade-In codes and were planning to buy the L950. There's a thread on Slickdeals that alerted me to it, but there seems to be some kind of wonky price discounting if you go through the EDU store and then use the trade-in coupon which overall drops the price of the 950 to $250.
It works. Gonna do it. Can't stop me. Someone stop me. Too late...

NeOak

Spoke too soon. 10% battery gone in 10 minutes doing something with the screen off.

I don't know what exactly.

Edit: OneDrive is eating data on Wifi like crazy. Anyone know why?

NeOak

Ok, so OneDrive was uploading 20GBs of videos that hadn't been uploaded. It was hidden pretty well, so took a while to find the why.

Now that it is done, the phone still continues to burn battery like crazy. Am I supposed to wait a few days until it stabilizes? It eats the full battery of my 1520 in around 3 hours, and that's mostly with the screen off.

:(

Can we add a feature request so Ms can stop removing features from their apps just so we have to vote to bring them back?

The latest one is the Remote Desktop App, even the translations were removed and are under a "vote wall".

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Ok, so OneDrive was uploading 20GBs of videos that hadn't been uploaded. It was hidden pretty well, so took a while to find the why.

Now that it is done, the phone still continues to burn battery like crazy. Am I supposed to wait a few days until it stabilizes? It eats the full battery of my 1520 in around 3 hours, and that's mostly with the screen off.

:(

Thats crazy. I believe new build is coming next week.

hankster

Game on!

The Alcatel Idol4 Pro is winding its way slowly to market, with the device now having passed through WIFI certification.

The Windows 10 Mobile flagship is believed to have a Snapdragon 820 CPU, 5.5-6 inch 1080P screen, 64 GB of built-in storage, up to 4GB of RAM and a 21 megapixel camera, according to its GFXBench data.

It will also of course support Continuum for phones.

Alcatel-Idol-4-Pro.jpg

NeOak

Second hard reset, this thing still keeps eating battery and it says it is the "screen".

I'm doing what I did with 8.1. And the phone is quite warm doing nothing at all. I haven't even set up Outlook FFS.

Oh, and it seems I have that bug where System eats data a lot.

Time to roll back to 8.1, and then force Update 2 again. Sigh. What a mess.

Edit: Moved to the Slow Ring because why not. Release is not helping.

Edit 2: 14295.1005 stopped the battery drain. The fug?

Edit 3: Dropped from the Windows Insider for now, I don't want to get another update that kills my battery life.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Anyone saw Pocketnow's 6minth later impression? They still dont recommend th device. Which is crazy because I am running 950XL without any issue.

Second hard reset, this thing still keeps eating battery and it says it is the "screen".

I'm doing what I did with 8.1. And the phone is quite warm doing nothing at all. I haven't even set up Outlook FFS.

Oh, and it seems I have that bug where System eats data a lot.

Time to roll back to 8.1, and then force Update 2 again. Sigh. What a mess.

Edit: Moved to the Slow Ring because why not. Release is not helping.

Edit 2: 14295.1005 stopped the battery drain. The fug?

Edit 3: Dropped from the Windows Insider for now, I don't want to get another update that kills my battery life.

Good call

NeOak

The latest fast builds are a massive battery drain, even the "fix". Not funny.
(yeah yeah stay away from fast ring blah blah)

Oouch. It eats battery when it is active, but not like before. 8.1 is the king of battery tbh.

Really? I've had great battery on the latest build.

It is quite hit and miss

My only, minor issue, with the latest build is... I can't use half of my apps :( Please new build soon.

RIP

kazinova

Just checking in: my time with Android so far has me really confused. Why did this OS win so much market share?

Seriously, it's just the apps, right? On one of your flagship Nexus devices, using your most up to date OS version I expect music apps to work every time I open them. I expect the camera to open when I click on it. I expect the phone to stay connected to WiFi the whole time I'm using it.

The world isn't fair. This is not my beautiful phone OS, this is not my beautiful home...

NeOak

Just checking in: my time with Android so far has me really confused. Why did this OS win so much market share?

Seriously, it's just the apps, right? On one of your flagship Nexus devices, using your most up to date OS version I expect music apps to work every time I open them. I expect the camera to open when I click on it. I expect the phone to stay connected to WiFi the whole time I'm using it.

The world isn't fair. This is not my beautiful phone OS, this is not my beautiful home...

Funny thing: I'm more likely to jump to Android while using W10M than while using 8.1.

The lack of reliability in W10M can reach Android levels.

MCD

Not having these issues with the S7. It's a boring phone, yes, but it just works.

You're acting like it's normal behavior, when it's not.

Top Bottom