• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

Update: Microsoft has updated its blog post with this note:

We are aware of issues with some apps such as Microsoft Health running in the background causing higher than normal battery drain.

In my case, it wasn't MS Health. lol

Chick Fil A is awesome and a step above other Fast-Food restaurants...although their prices are also a step above other places. Their Waffle Fries are some of the best french fries I have had and their milkshakes are delicious. Also the $1 "Ice Dream" cones are pretty great if I am feeling like a cheap ice cream fix.

I don't even think we have a Popeye's around here and if we do it must be hidden.

Chick Fil A is awesome and a step above other Fast-Food restaurants...although their prices are also a step above other places. Their Waffle Fries are some of the best french fries I have had and their milkshakes are delicious. Also the $1 "Ice Dream" cones are pretty great if I am feeling like a cheap ice cream fix.

I don't even think we have a Popeye's around here and if we do it must be hidden.

Their chicken is dry, their fries are soggy, and their prices are high. 3 strikes, they'rrrrrrrrre outta here.

Have not tried the milkshakes and ice cream.

their prices are high.

the other two points sound like you must have bumped into a sub-standard location.

i've had CFA from a dozen locations across GA/FL/SC and they were all great.

Popeyes is better, Zaxby's is about on par.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am not going to Fast ring to try new build lol

but waiting for some impressions.

btw FB Messenger app with iOS parity is finally here. Fucking yes. App that I use daily. Not available from my device yet but I am guessing in couple of days it will be.

hadareud

The Translator
New build seems snappy. Also, the recently updated apps show up instantly and store updates seem to be found quicker, which is nice.

Looks like things are coming together for Redstone.

completely forgot I had the "hey Cortana" feature on my 950XL. Works great in my bluetooth enabled car, just turn down stereo volume and say "hey Cortana."

Treo360

I can finally post using edge without having to press the address bar to bring the keyboard up in order to fill in Text fields. Overall really snappy

SuZ95nt.jpg

Ebay product reviews for some 950XL accessories.

$3 backplates- no wireless charging. questionable quality. I ordered an orange that broke near the 3 buttons, ordered a black that just didn't fit well, and ordered a cyan that thankfully fit perfect.

$5 Nillkin Nature case- love this. great quality and fit for a price that is a steal. Loved it so much that I ordered the smoke color.

$17 replacement battery- looks like an official battery even including the Microsoft logo. only time will tell if this performs and lasts like an original.

I am so happy that they fixed the headphones volume issue with the new fast ring build. I almost blew out my eardrums last night because I always had to turn the headphone volume up to 30 to be able to hear well before.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's fullscreen apps only, as far as I know. No windowed environment or desktop yet. Basically Windows RT without the desktop and file explorer.

Which works well for mobile productivity imo. I'm on a business trip now and I haven't run into a scenario where continuum wouldn't have sufficed to be productive. My job gave me a surface, so it's a moot point, but I could have. And I think that's the point.

Which works well for mobile productivity imo. I'm on a business trip now and I haven't run into a scenario where continuum wouldn't have sufficed to be productive. My job gave me a surface, so it's a moot point, but I could have. And I think that's the point.

To me there's a difference between "getting some stuff done" and being "fully productive".

Can you drag and drop files between programs?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To me there's a difference between "getting some stuff done" and being "fully productive".

Can you drag and drop files between programs?

I can't disagree with the absolute definition you are going for. What's your benchmark for mobile productivity? Aside from a surface tablet, I don't see what you are getting at outside of a laptop. And there is a file picker in Win10 mobile.

The continuum environment is very familiar in look and behavior to win10 and has email and Office apps that are vital. In many cases, that's going to provide the type of environment most of the people at the conference I'm attending will ever need.

But to move back to your point: I tried drag/drop on various UWP apps and it didn't work. I guess that isn't a big deal now since the mobile build doesn't have windowed apps yet, but that (plus multi-window) will be necessary to get the "fully productive" label. And I can't imagine that both of those features will be here by this time next year assuming MS is still developing the mobile software.

hadareud

The Translator
Have to agree with Brot, in its current form Continuum is little more than a gimmick.

Once you can have a real, full version of W10 run off a phone it's a different story. I guess that's the goal, but it's not there yet.

Have to agree with Brot, in its current form Continuum is little more than a gimmick.

Once you can have a real, full version of W10 run off a phone it's a different story. I guess that's the goal, but it's not there yet.

I guess I can understand both sides of the argument here but maybe it's just becoming more clear that people are just hard to please. Maybe most here are a bit cranky since Microsoft has bombed on the mobile side in almost every conceivable way so there's almost no viable way going forward. With that said it may be hard to appreciate the good things [such as Continuum] without picking at it. That's not to say that it can't be improved but it is great for what it is currently.

Weird it is much slower for me and my phone keeps losing connection to my wifi.
That happened to me a LOT in the previous build. (And my sp3 is having the same issue as well).

And I had an long ongoing issue with edge where it would seem the tab would freeze for a while, sometimes even wouldn't render a portion of the page (which again, happens a lot on desktop insider as well), but now seems completely solved.

Top Bottom