• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hankster

So got 950 for $300 off per SlickDeals. Phone is pretty nice IMO. Hello Beta is a beta and works really well sometimes (dark room at night - crazy) then other times meh. Battery life not as good as hoped but sounds like that is an issue with current builds. I'm on release ring for now.

{Glorious old 920 packed up and ready to ship off in exchange for the $300 off. A little tough but sadly time has passed Old Yella by}

Then this:
pLzQSlx.jpg
Haven't played with it yet...

And a free year of Office365.

So all in all a pretty good transaction.

So got 950 for $300 off per SlickDeals. Phone is pretty nice IMO. Hello Beta is a beta and works really well sometimes (dark room at night - crazy) then other times meh. Battery life not as good as hoped but sounds like that is an issue with current builds. I'm on release ring for now.

{Glorious old 920 packed up and ready to ship off in exchange for the $300 off. A little tough but sadly time has passed Old Yella by}

Then this:

Haven't played with it yet...

And a free year of Office365.

So all in all a pretty good transaction.
Congrats. Look into the red light and Hello's hit percentage increases dramatically.

Outside of the issues with edge that I keep having the new fast ring build is great. It really feels like windows 10 mobile is getting close. Have they given a daye for it to be out of beta and ready for full release?

hankster

Congrats. Look into the red light and Hello's hit percentage increases dramatically.
That is helping. Thanks.

Played with the display dock some. Wireless would be better. Has potential. Tried amazon cloud player but it says I need to upgrade Flash... Dammit. Now need a little travel keyboard to really try it on my next trip.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That is helping. Thanks.

Played with the display dock some. Wireless would be better. Has potential. Tried amazon cloud player but it says I need upgrade Flash... Dammit. Now need a little travel keyboard to really try it on my next trip.

I'll buy that display stock off you.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Changed my region to France, and downloaded FB Messenger App beta. OH MY GOD. This is all I fucking wanted. So glad the app parity is finally happening.

Treo360

Absolutely love this build so far. My 950xl feels snappier, doesn't app crash nearly as much anymore, still have some issues with groove. Windows hello, very snappy. Battery life seems to be good too, an improvement over the last build for me.

Klocker

Glad they added auto brightness setting into quick action again.

Also navigation in Edge is better now that they added a screen moving buffer to left and right to avoid mistaken swipes

So cortana notifications synced across devices is pretty useless

On pc they appear just as a cortana notification, with none of the stuff from the app, you can't act on them, and dismissing don't do a thing on mobile.

Not what I was expecting :(

hankster

My Roku3 will let me do Continuum wirelessly via Miracast. It's still beta on the Roku but still worked ok with Edge. All I've tried so far. Even sound was paying thru the tv while playing YouTube video in Edge.

hankster

So cortana notifications synced across devices is pretty useless

On pc they appear just as a cortana notification, with none of the stuff from the app, you can't act on them, and dismissing don't do a thing on mobile.

Not what I was expecting :(
I did like that could receive and respond to text messages with my laptop.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
My Roku3 will let me do Continuum wirelessly via Miracast. It's still beta on the Roku but still worked ok with Edge. All I've tried so far. Even sound was paying thru the tv while playing YouTube video in Edge.

Thats pretty neat

MarkusRJR

So how is Windows 10 Mobile nowadays? I still use my old Lumia 625 (that has a shattered screen) on 8.1 as a music player for hikes and outdoorsy stuff. I love that it works with MS services so easily and plays Groove/Xbox Music offline on an SD card (unlike my Android phone). I heard that the MS Films & TV app and Groove Music app are pretty awful on launch W10. Are they better now?

Was thinking of upgrading and getting a Lumia 650 as a back up & travel phone (also as an MP3 player to replace my dying 625) since I have some unused credit on MS Store. Plus, I totally miss Windows Phone. Is this a dumb move or should I just wait for the Surface phone next year and use my contract on that?

NeOak

So how is Windows 10 Mobile nowadays? I still use my old Lumia 625 (that has a shattered screen) on 8.1 as a music player for hikes and outdoorsy stuff. I love that it works with MS services so easily and plays Groove/Xbox Music offline on an SD card (unlike my Android phone). I heard that the MS Films & TV app and Groove Music app are pretty awful on launch W10. Are they better now?

Was thinking of upgrading and getting a Lumia 650 as a back up & travel phone (also as an MP3 player to replace my dying 625) since I have some unused credit on MS Store. Plus, I totally miss Windows Phone. Is this a dumb move or should I just wait for the Surface phone next year and use my contract on that?

Dumb move. W10M is still a lottery with battery life and stability.

Get a 640 cheap and use that with 8.1 Update 2.

Personally if you can I would just wait it out a few months and see if the Lumia 950 gets cheaper. It feels like a bad move paying $200 (Unless you aren't in the US) for the Lumia 650 given the fact that spec wise it just doesn't seem worth that cost. If you want a phone now I would consider grabbing the Lumia 640 on either Amazon or eBay which is pretty comparable to the 650 and it is a lot cheaper.

MarkusRJR

Dumb move. W10M is still a lottery with battery life and stability.

Get a 640 cheap and use that with 8.1 Update 2.
Is Windows 10 Mobile really that glitchy? How is that possible after such a long development?
Personally if you can I would just wait it out a few months and see if the Lumia 950 gets cheaper. It feels like a bad move paying $200 (Unless you aren't in the US) for the Lumia 650 given the fact that spec wise it just doesn't seem worth that cost. If you want a phone now I would consider grabbing the Lumia 640 on either Amazon or eBay which is pretty comparable to the 650 and it is a lot cheaper.
For some reason the 650 is priced at $200 CAD (basically $150 USD), and with the credit on my MS store account it should be basically the same as importing + unlocking a 640 from the US (they don't sell the 640 here).

NeOak

Is Windows 10 Mobile really that glitchy? How is that possible after such a long development?

For some reason the 650 is priced at $200 CAD (basically $150 USD), and with the credit on my MS store account it should be basically the same as importing + unlocking a 640 from the US (they don't sell the 640 here).
Yes, I've seen "production" builds reboot on 950s this week.

At that price, I'd rather buy an AT&T 640, get it unlocked for free and mail it to you at cost.

shingi70

Banned
All his positive Xbox and Windows 10, had me checking on getting a Windows Phone, but I'll guess I'll stick with Android or iOS with Microsoft apps.

Miles X

Oh man, I am due to upgrade but O2 only doing a 950 Lumia in black for £32 a month. That's just the phone, I've been paying £10 a month for my 1020.

I'm not paying £768 for a year old phone ... I don't like Android/Samsung and iPhone seems to expensive, so guess I'm stuck with a broken 1020 until 950 drops enough :(

kharma45

Oh man, I am due to upgrade but O2 only doing a 950 Lumia in black for £32 a month. That's just the phone, I've been paying £10 a month for my 1020.

I'm not paying £768 for a year old phone ... I don't like Android/Samsung and iPhone seems to expensive, so guess I'm stuck with a broken 1020 until 950 drops enough :(

Buy one outright

n64coder

Ah I wasn't aware I could still get a contract with paying outright, don't see that option on O2, only the option to buy outright for £430.

Just buy a used/new phone from someone other than O2. You can bring an unlocked phone to any provider.

derFeef

Latest fast ring - anyone else noticed an improvement in word prediction? It seems that it's finally using custom words as well, it feels much better.

Also how do I fix the Metrotube bug where I can't go back (constant loading) to the App when I have to use the authenticator app to log into my google account, argh! I don't have a second device at hand.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah the backup is my wife's iPhone. But I'd rather risk using the Lumia than taking photos with the awfully bland and flat camera on my iPhone.

Top Bottom