• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

The Maps app is utterly useless compared to Here...

Last week I went to a company event in Munich. I figured, I could just search for the location and how to get there via public transportation in the app instead of using Google Maps at home. Finding the place on the map worked, but I did not manage to find out how to get there using public transportation. Completely useless...

Then I tried to use the Google Maps website from the browser. It wouldn't even let me enter the text in the from/to inputs.

Windows Phone was always so great at providing the basics even if it was lacking in apps. Now I can't trust it for going anywhere using public transportation...

(the Maps UI is shit, too)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I caved in and enrolled into fast ring. Everything looks good so far, beside random crashes sometimes. Anyways Edge swipe is fucking awful. wtf? this is too sensitive. I am scrolling GAF and swiping left somehow.

I came to hate Here maps. Two separate phones, both would often just not retrieve directions. Just none at all. Tapped to start the route and it acted like I never set a destination. Closing out of the app wouldn't always fix it, either. Sometimes needed a reboot.

NeOak

I caved in and enrolled into fast ring. Everything looks good so far, beside random crashes sometimes. Anyways Edge swipe is fucking awful. wtf? this is too sensitive. I am scrolling GAF and swiping left somehow.

After getting it perfect for IE11 on WP8.1, they somehow fucked it up when trying to implement it again.

I came to hate Here maps. Two separate phones, both would often just not retrieve directions. Just none at all. Tapped to start the route and it acted like I never set a destination. Closing out of the app wouldn't always fix it, either. Sometimes needed a reboot.

Here maps worked fine for me in 8.1. But the W10 maps app is so bad, I had to open HERE to find something :/

Klocker

Don't understand the hate for the edge swipe. There is now a screen buffer built in where the screen starts sliding left or right if it senses you moving that way but will not move the page unless you go all the way.

Old version used to move with a flick and no warning

I'm doing that, but I'm on a laptop.

And I'm using a mouse.

It's very disconcerting.

hadareud

The Translator
Works fine in the UK too. I was using it for public transport yesterday in London and it gave me the correct bus arrival times etc.

Tier 1.

The UI is still a bit poo, though.

Remember wenn Xbox SmartGlass was a thing?

OM4QolE.jpg

JaggedSac

Remember wenn Xbox SmartGlass was a thing?

OM4QolE.jpg

Interestingly, they are using that Smartglass work for their "same app cross device communications" stuff in the UWP. I don't think there are useful scenarios for that sort of thing in general application usage either though, lol.

I really liked the smart glass stuff with ryse. I think this is another example of ms having a really good idea but giving up on it way to quickly.

Ganondolf

So I can get the Lumia 950 for £288 with student discount + £30 cash back from quidco.

I want a surface phone but looks like it won't be out for a year. I have a Lumia 925.

Is it worth getting at that price for one year? Or just keep the 925?

clav

Playing with this BenQ Android powered phone, and it feels a lot like a Lumia 640.

Removable Shell. Large removable battery.

Sigh.

Why don't more phone manufacturers use this design? I think it's brilliant.

hadareud

The Translator
Seems fine so far. Battery life is still good (lost like 3% overnight).

Redstone is really getting there now, I can't see too many bad bugs anymore (just some minor issues).

NeOak

Edge is going me problems by loading the page and then not working.

Wordflow always picks different words.

Battery life is bad. Maaaaan :(

And the phone has crashed on me already when I needed it.

Going to revert to 8.1 tbh

What's a good tool to transfer my text messages to Android?

NeOak

You always seem to think this in what seems like an hour of phone usage.

No one else is having these problems you seem to have constantly. It always burns through battery fast at first.

It kept doing it for 2 days

:(

And not the only one

New production build is just crushing my battery. cool

Edit: To be fair: This is on an AT&T Lumia 1520, so It always has given me problems with W10M.

The 950s that people I know are using are more stable than my 1520 with W10M, and I'm sure I wouldn't be having these random issues If I were using one.

derFeef

Well this seems all bugged for me now. I am looged out of my Microsoft account on my phone and I can't log back in because it's asking me for the authenticator code and I can't type in any numbers. Verifying per email also is not an option because I also can't type in any email adress, lol...

hadareud

The Translator
Well this seems all bugged for me now. I am looged out of my Microsoft account on my phone and I can't log back in because it's asking me for the authenticator code and I can't type in any numbers. Verifying per email also is not an option because I also can't type in any email adress, lol...

Close it and start again.

Don't paste the authenticator code, type it in. It will work. I've seen that bug myself.

derFeef

I tried it but nothing... I got it to work with being really fast and with good memory, heh. Switching apps just killed the keyboard, or at least the fields where you type it in.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it does that if you're not quick or if you're trying to paste the authenticator code.

Has done for the last few builds.

Edit: To be fair: This is on an AT&T Lumia 1520, so It always has given me problems with W10M.

The 950s that people I know are using are more stable than my 1520 with W10M, and I'm sure I wouldn't be having these random issues If I were using one.
I have the 1520.3, but the battery issues subsided after a day. Back to normal

The latest insider fast build is such a fall from grace compared to the previous one.

Battery life is terrible, apps crashing all the time, tons of resuming screens even when coming to the start screen, phone resetting many times a day and the keyboard seems to have gone rogue, it fails to register some keys when typing fast and often replaces a perfectly spelled word to another that doesn't even make sense in the context of was being typed.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the full anniversary release. Since I know i will get it on my phone I don't mind the wait. It will make the official release more interesting.

Sordid

They never did in production for me, but this is a 1520.2

I think it is something in the AT&T firmware that messes with W10M.

I sold my green ATT 1520 and haven't heard anything bad about the battery on the production builds, might be your phone dude :(

Treo360

The latest insider fast build is such a fall from grace compared to the previous one.

Battery life is terrible, apps crashing all the time, tons of resuming screens even when coming to the start screen, phone resetting many times a day and the keyboard seems to have gone rogue, it fails to register some keys when typing fast and often replaces a perfectly spelled word to another that doesn't even make sense in the context of was being typed.

Does not compute. What phone are you on? I'm on an international 950xl (single sim) and this release has been an improvement over the last. Apps seem to open faster, fewer crashes, and no overheating. Solid for me so far.

Paganmoon

Pre-touch seemed pretty cool,

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-shows-how-pre-touch-would-have-worked-nokia-mclaren

Why not have cool new (hell, cool old ones too, double tap where are you??) on your new flagship? I still don't understand Microsofts decision on this damned phone.

Does not compute. What phone are you on? I'm on an international 950xl (single sim) and this release has been an improvement over the last. Apps seem to open faster, fewer crashes, and no overheating. Solid for me so far.

Yeah, I've actually not had any random reboots that I've had with the last few builds (yet), apps start, and are much more stable, phone stays pretty cool. Not had any major issues with latest fast ring on 950 (yet).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Oh my fucking god. Mobile payment? unfucking believable.

Thank you MS. I can't express how happy I am that this will be coming, my sole reason I would have considered iPhone was Apple Pay.

Top Bottom