• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Welp shit. It was nice never being logged into the app and getting those messages from people who have no other way of contacting you. Oh well. I don't really spend time on Facebook otherwise.

joshschw

Peter Bright from Ars Technica just tweeted this.

The Android M8 has much, much better battery life than the Windows Phone one. But with an important proviso.

Their review is now out, and the proviso is that once you enable the power saving option on Android the battery is better, except that performance turns to crap with it enabled on Android because the screen is dimmed and the processor is downclocked majorly.

Otherwise, the Windows Phone version gets 3.5 HOURS BETTER battery in their normal state benchmarks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For those with Cyan now, have any of you went back to the dev preview? I would like to, but I don't want to mess with my phones performance.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Their review is now out, and the proviso is that once you enable the power saving option on Android the battery is better, except that performance turns to crap with it enabled on Android because the screen is dimmed and the processor is downclocked majorly.

Otherwise, the Windows Phone version gets 3.5 HOURS BETTER battery in their normal state benchmarks.

Heh, they knew their tweet would get them hits :p Very sneaky.

I really wish they'd have made the Messenger app "modular", and installing the Facebook app would've let it use the Facebook API to use it as the messenger, rather than relying solely on the FB Messenger app.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Welp shit. It was nice never being logged into the app and getting those messages from people who have no other way of contacting you. Oh well. I don't really spend time on Facebook otherwise.

Yep, that and the changes to the music and podcast app make me regret upgrading to be honest.

What Facebook integration was removed exactly?

massive investment from both sides, FB had to maintain an API they no longer wished to do. Errors on MS side would require a system update to fix.

While I'm not in love with the new system, there were problems with the old one to the extent that I almost never used the system integration because I couldn't rely on it.

For those with Cyan now, have any of you went back to the dev preview? I would like to, but I don't want to mess with my phones performance.

I did, and it was fine until the recent update. Now the loading screen is back and app take longer to resume again. I wish I can roll the last update back. (The one that gave us the folder option was fine, I am talking about the latest update on Dev Preview)>

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I did, and it was fine until the recent update. Now the loading screen is back and app take longer to resume again. I wish I can roll the last update back. (The one that gave us the folder option was fine, I am talking about the latest update on Dev Preview)>

Thanks. I think I will hold off.

MarkusRJR

Are they seriously looking to sell the Lumia 830 in the $399 price range? If so this thing is going to flop.
Do we know if the 830 will come to Canada (lol I know)? I'm so desperate for a non-entry level WP that I'm willing to go with this. From what I remember there were rumors of multiple US versions, so it might be possible...

terrier

can you set static IP now on wifi settings on windows phone? that was a huge issue for me when i found out only dhcp was available

kpWxWv2.png

e: Also, Spotify finally has a free option on Windows Phone.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/spotify/10f2995d-1f82-4203-b7fa-46ddbd07a6e6?signin=true

In other news, Huawei gave up on Windows Phones for now.

WSJ: For most handset makers Android is the only option. Is that a problem?

Mr. Yu: It's difficult to say. We have tried using the Windows Phone OS. But it has been difficult to persuade consumers to buy a Windows phone. It wasn't profitable for us. We were losing money for two years on those phones. So for now we've decided to put any releases of new Windows phones on hold. We have worries about Android being the only option, but we have no choice. And we have a good collaboration with Google.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nm

- is there any way to have notifications on for email (i.e sounds/vibrate) but not have them clog up the action centre?

hadareud

The Translator
400 dollars doesn't seem a lot for a relatively high-end phone.

It's cheaper than the 820, isn't it?

Nokia was never price competitive with their devices (aside from the unlocked 920 in the US). The 520 launched for €199, the 720 for 299 and the 820 for 499. But the phones come down in price quickly, because no one wants them.

Considering no one wants them, how is it possible that the 920 is still 200 quid used even now?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Qi charging, OLED screen, a competent camera and I may be there when the price drops. My 920 is so fly since I installed Cyan I no longer feel the urge to update.

400 dollars doesn't seem a lot for a relatively high-end phone.

It's cheaper than the 820, isn't it?

Considering no one wants them, how is it possible that the 920 is still 200 quid used even now?

The 830 is a 720p phone with 1 GB ram. How is that "relatively high-end" in 2014?

And 200 for a used 920 is a good price, considering the launch price of 649 EUR (before taxes).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I honestly don't miss a single pixel from my 920. 720p is perfect for that size, specially when you consider that upping the pixel count results in worse performance and battery life.

Just look at the LG G3; a lovely phone marred by the stupid decision of going QHD just to one-up Samsung.

Razdek

Banned
Do we know if the 830 will come to Canada (lol I know)? I'm so desperate for a non-entry level WP that I'm willing to go with this. From what I remember there were rumors of multiple US versions, so it might be possible...

Lol WP in Canada is the biggest joke ever. Barely any high or mid range phones for sale so you'll have to settle for the 630.

Razdek

Banned
Nokia was never price competitive with their devices (aside from the unlocked 920 in the US). The 520 launched for €199, the 720 for 299 and the 820 for 499. But the phones come down in price quickly, because no one wants them.

I was looking to see if I could get a mid range phone in the $299 range but if it's $399 I might as well just wait for the Nexus 6.

I'm not arguing the specs, I'm arguing the price for these specs. The specs are fine for Windows Phone, but 399 for that is too much.

I honestly don't miss a single pixel from my 920. 720p is perfect for that size, specially when you consider that upping the pixel count results in worse performance and battery life.

Just look at the LG G3; a lovely phone marred by the stupid decision of going QHD just to one-up Samsung.

Right. And then you look at the G2 with its fantastic 1080p screen and it has amazing battery life. I'd say 1080p mobile screens are a mature technology these days and it shouldn't suck that much more battery compared to 720p screen.

hwalker84

Sold my coworker my old Lumia 920 about a month ago and it's been working great for her. Unfortunately the phone took a spill last night and it seems like the antenna isn't functioning. Phone is definitely aware theirs a SIM card inserted but it cannot get any signal.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm still hoping for a 1080p display and for the 830 to be the secret successor to the 1020.

Sorry, I meant I'm dreaming.

Top Bottom