• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

What confuses me, and it's likely just another silly MS decision, is that the Maps app is greatly improved on the Insider builds but that app isn't being rolled out to regular folks.

Then I'd say it's likely that the new version relies on things that are not in the current TH2 build yet.

joshschw

I am pretty sure they did push the new maps app to the release build branch?
It's just that they are still improving it in the Fast branch.

So I downloaded the Facebook beta app, the "real" one. It seems okay. Obviously it is going to lose all integration. So I hope when the time comes Microsoft releases some sort of Facebook Connector app for People hub integration.

Also, it works okay, but it is SO UGLY. Is this really what Facebook looks like on iOS and Android?

hadareud

The Translator
Funnily enough I was just going to post how happy I was with the latest build.

Battery life is back to excellent. Yesterday I charged my phone in the morning, went for a 2 hour walk listening to music and did some surfing while having a well deserved walk-beer. Admittedly I didn't use it much for the rest of the day apart from checking emails 5 or 6 times and looking a few things up every now and then, but this morning I had 72% battery left.

derFeef

Funnily enough I was just going to post how happy I was with the latest build.

Battery life is back to excellent. Yesterday I charged my phone in the morning, went for a 2 hour walk listening to music and did some surfing while having a well deserved walk-beer. Admittedly I didn't use it much for the rest of the day apart from checking emails 5 or 6 times and looking a few things up every now and then, but this morning I had 72% battery left.

again... mine totally sucks :(

clav

Oh I was asking about the production ring which mirrors the stable PC build (10586).

Person is on Windows Phone 8.1 Denim.

joshschw

They pushed the new wallet app out to Fast Ring! None of my credit cards seems to be compatible with Tap2Pay though :(

Anyone else get it?

ElNino

So I've taken the plunge into the world of Android to see what it's all about with a OnePlus 3. I still have my 950XL so I can go back and forth while I decide which I prefer, but I'll probably keep both and possibly let me son use the odd one out.

Build-wise, the OP3 feels nice and despite being similar size to the 950XL it feels much smaller and is easier to use one handed, likely due to being less wide and slightly more curved on the edges. The screen is "only" 1080p though, and while it looks nice still it is definately noticeable compared the 950XL, particularly with how large most text is. I do like the alert slider on the OP3 though.

As for apps... I'm torn. There are some apps that I can use now that I didn't have before, but not everything is better.

- My banking app is there now, but it's honestly almost exactly what the mobile site is except for the ability to cash a cheque so it's not really a big deal at all for me.
- Twitter... I find it way worse on Android as it seems my timeline is half sponsored tweet or ads, none of which show up on W10M. Honestly, it seems really bad so far.
- Facebook is similar to Twitter in that I'm getting lots of sponsored/ad content that I'm not used to, but I guess there might be other features (extra Like options maybe?).
- Offical Reddit app is ok I guess, but not sure yet if it's better than Readit (first impressions aren't great).
- My contact list is screwed up and keeps bringing in old contacts, even after I delete them from the phone. My contact photos also keep disappearing even after manually updating them.
- I don't really like that the Outlook mail and calendar is all in one app on Android. I guess I can get used to it, but it doesn't seem any better to me.
- YouTube is YouTube... but now I have to see ads again. Maybe I can find a decent 3rd party app that is like MyTube.
- Official apps in general are nice I guess, but 3rd party W10M apps had some unique features that are missing on Android, like my Ecobee thermostat Live Tile. I also haven't found a weather app that I like as much as Appy Weather or Amazing Weather, using 1Weather and it seems ok, but not as good.

It's only been a few days, but it's been a little underwhelming thus far.

MCD

Reddit is fun the best.

Palabre for feedly.

Blackplayer for music.

These are the only third party apps I use currently.

ElNino

Try Relay for Reddit

Make sure to install google play rewards app
Reddit is fun the best.

Palabre for feedly.

Blackplayer for music.

These are the only third party apps I use currently.
Thanks, I'll look into them but for music I'm just using Groove and Spotify. I also have a six month subscription for Google Play Music Unlimited, which I guess is something like Groove pass?

The contact sync/corruption issue is super annoying though. I doesn't seem to matter how many times I try to fix the contacts on the phone, they always get screwed up again when some account syncs, but I can't figure out which one. MS really beats Google here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
She seems to be enjoying her nexus. And wm10 is still buggy enough where it may frustrate her. I think she'll be fine until she runs into one of the crazy Android bugs that kills her battery or worsens performance.

She seems to be enjoying her nexus. And wm10 is still buggy enough where it may frustrate her. I think she'll be fine until she runs into one of the crazy Android bugs that kills her battery or worsens performance.

I had to delete the OneDrive app today, because it drained my battery for a second time. 28% battery usage.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I had to delete the OneDrive app today, because it drained my battery for a second time. 28% battery usage.

The iOS app only uploads pictures when I log into the app. Pain in the butt but it probably prevents the same thing from happening on iPhone. In some ways, apps have way too much freedom to screw things up on Android. Like, really mess up your device in ways that shouldn't be allowed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol @ MS sabotaging android with their onedrive app.

Almost as bad as Google doing the same thing occasionally with their Play services garbage.

The iOS app only uploads pictures when I log into the app. Pain in the butt but it probably prevents the same thing from happening on iPhone. In some ways, apps have way too much freedom to screw things up on Android. Like, really mess up your device in ways that shouldn't be allowed.

But knowing that it hasn't always been like that shows that it's a bug with an recent update. It worked well previously. If anything, Google should allow the users more control over permissions like standby and if it can wake the device or not. Not to mention that some user had the same problem with the OneDrive app on W10M a couple of pages ago.

Top Bottom