• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But knowing that it hasn't always been like that shows that it's a bug with an recent update. It worked well previously. If anything, Google should allow the users more control over permissions like standby and if it can wake the device or not. Not to mention that some user had the same problem with the OneDrive app on W10M a couple of pages ago.

I like on iOS that I can do things like that; limit background usage, limit location usage to only when I'm using the app, have the OS warn me about apps using too much battery in the background, etc. I feel much more in control of apps on this platform, although of course the downside is that apps like Cortana just aren't as useful compared to Android.

NeOak

As an icon owner should I stay with fast ring or do the official update? Are they very different at this point?

If you want "stability", the production/release ring.

If you want beta software, the slow ring

If you want beta-that-may-crash-and-fuck-your-battery-depending-on-your-luck software, the fast ring

royale

Thanks, I'll look into them but for music I'm just using Groove and Spotify. I also have a six month subscription for Google Play Music Unlimited, which I guess is something like Groove pass?

The contact sync/corruption issue is super annoying though. I doesn't seem to matter how many times I try to fix the contacts on the phone, they always get screwed up again when some account syncs, but I can't figure out which one. MS really beats Google here.

I had the same issue with contact photos. You need to add Outlook/Hotmail as an exchange account to get it to sync properly. Otherwise your contacts are "read-only" through Android contacts.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/and...r-the-windows-guy-use-your-microsoft-accounts

Photos need to be updated or set to primary in the "exchange" contact. This part can be tedious to update.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Does anyone know if you can use the new Maps app offline?

If you want "stability", the production/release ring.

If you want beta software, the slow ring

If you want beta-that-may-crash-and-fuck-your-battery-depending-on-your-luck software, the fast ring
What I want to know is is there like an official list of the differences between the different builds? I have been on fast ring since day one, so I don't really mind the bugginess I just don't want to switch if the production build is behind in features.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What I want to know is is there like an official list of the differences between the different builds? I have been on fast ring since day one, so I don't really mind the bugginess I just don't want to switch if the production build is behind in features.

The production build is behind on features and some of the latest app updates (such as Groove). I'm tempted to go back to the fast ring, but the update should be out in a month or so.

Paganmoon

Fast ring going the wrong way as of latest update. Not getting mail previews in notification center (still see mail icon on lock screen), and Fitbit sync compatibility is once again broken, keeps failing and disconnecting before it can do a full sync.

Edit: Jupp, definitely a step back with this minor update. Getting wake up issues again, which I didn't have in the last update.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left here on Windows 10 Mobile (and insider preview). Feels lonely :(

I'm on fast ring too. But I have but complaints about the last 3 or so builds.

Every single app (even the calculator) crashes within minutes of usage makes the system slower with tons of resuming and loading screens up to a point where it gets completely locked up and you have to force reset by holding the power button or it resets by itself.

Fast ring going the wrong way as of latest update. Not getting mail previews in notification center (still see mail icon on lock screen), and Fitbit sync compatibility is once again broken, keeps failing and disconnecting before it can do a full sync.

Edit: Jupp, definitely a step back with this minor update. Getting wake up issues again, which I didn't have in the last update.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left here on Windows 10 Mobile (and insider preview). Feels lonely :(

Nope I'm on 10, but not fast ring. I'll stay with production haha. My battery life is starting to stabilize a bit.

Treo360

No real issues to write about. 2 builds ago I had an issue with messenger app (sms) locking up, and having to either enjoy the phone or repeatedly having to quit the app to get it to work, or the screen not turning on from sleep. But now? No problems really.

Valkrai

Hey GAF. I actually didn't know there was a WPGAF.

Needed an opinion. I was planning on getting a phone but I saw a Lumia 640 for $30 bucks. Wondering if its a decent phone for the price or if it can run Windows 10 Mobile or not.

Before I've only used Android so I'm unsure how it'd be for someone like me.

kharma45

Needed an opinion. I was planning on getting a phone but I saw a Lumia 640 for $30 bucks. Wondering if its a decent phone for the price or if it can run Windows 10 Mobile or not.

Very good phone for the price and will run W10M fine.

Dozens of us!

And yeah, $30 is great. Windows Phones tend to punch a bit above their weight class due to the relatively lightweight OS, so I wouldn't be too worried about a 640 running one of the more stable builds of W10.

clav

Excellent phone on 8.1. Lots of LTE bands (even can use LTE Band 12).

Still waiting on a decent 10 build. Hoping the anniversary redstone 1 build is the start.

Valkrai

Thanks for the help guys. Pretty interested in trying it. Kinda like the UI a bit more than Android. I wish there were more games and apps on it but San Andreas is pretty great.

Excellent phone on 8.1. Lots of LTE bands (even can use LTE Band 12).

Still waiting on a decent 10 build. Hoping the anniversary redstone 1 build is the start.

Are there some issues with Windows 10 on the phone specifically or in general?

Thanks for the help guys. Pretty interested in trying it. Kinda like the UI a bit more than Android. I wish there were more games and apps on it but San Andreas is pretty great.

Are there some issues with Windows 10 on the phone specifically or in general?

I'm running win10 mobile on a 640. It's fine for the most part but the latest builds have been very unstable regarding apps crashing. It used to be just onedrive that crashed when doing anything but now pretty much every single app crashes, and very often.

hankster

I've been really enjoying my $250+tax 950. But stayed on release ring. Missing some of the apps from the Nexus5x. And the WWDC keynote showed some compelling stuff. Yet still digging the 950 somehow. Count me among the dozens.

640 is a great phone. Used it as a daily driver on W10Mo in the past. Got some cool colored backshells for it on AliExpress for real cheap. Nice size and weight and awesome price.

Paganmoon

I'm running win10 mobile on a 640. It's fine for the most part but the latest builds have been very unstable regarding apps crashing. It used to be just onedrive that crashed when doing anything but now pretty much every single app crashes, and very often.

For clarification so Valkrai doesn't get the wrong idea, the latest builds you're talking about are on the insider preview/fast rings?

Cause if you're just jumping into Windows 10 Mobile, staying on production builds is a must.

JaggedSac

I've been really enjoying my $250+tax 950. But stayed on release ring. Missing some of the apps from the Nexus5x. And the WWDC keynote shower some compelling stuff. Yet still digging the 950 somehow. Count me among the dozens.

640 is a great phone. Used it as a daily driver on W10Mo in the past. Got some cool colored backshells for it on AliExpress for real cheap. Nice size and weight and awesome price.

What came out of WWDC? Didn't seem anything of note was revealed.

hankster

What came out of WWDC? Didn't seem anything of note was revealed.
Things I noted:

- Siri on desktop: Whaa??? Convergence?

- iCloud turning more OneDrive-Osh

- universal clipboard

- developer hooks everywhere

- Messages now most funnest texting app.

- it's macOS now. Not compelling just of note. More convergence there...

- Music app looks strangely familiar in a nice way

Some of the stuff that struck me.

Paganmoon

Just got an update for Spotify, UI only update it looks like, so no new features to bring it closer to iPhone/Android versions.
Strangely, the UI update isn't to bring it on par with iPhone UI. Completely different UI now, no hamburger menu.

Klocker

For clarification so Valkrai doesn't get the wrong idea, the latest builds you're talking about are on the insider preview/fast rings?

Cause if you're just jumping into Windows 10 Mobile, staying on production builds is a must.

Or even stay on default 640 8.1 for a bit..' preview rings I would not recommend for new to platform

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Spotify app updated. Look and feel like iOS version.
Popcornflix released UWP app

is it weird that I actually think this platform is coming back to life? Big apps getting parity updates, also new UWP apps being built.
It seems like a big deal for a platform that has 1% market share.
Of course the userbase is small and only getting smaller. But if this type of app momentum continues. Surface Phone has a solid chance for hit 5-8 % market.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got lost twice while driving in Puerto Rico using Google maps and Apple maps on my iPhone. That's where I wish I had the Here maps (or even the data through Maps) and a bigger, more pixel dense screen, I think they do a better job international than Google. I might swap sims and use my 950 for the rest of the time I'm here.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Huh? What version do I have on my iPhone then? cause the updated Windows Phone app and the iOS one look nothing alike.

oh I could be wrong then, I saw Spotify app on my friends iPhone while ago. And I thought this looked similar to that. Also better scaling on high dpi display.

Paganmoon

oh I could be wrong then, I saw Spotify app on my friends iPhone while ago. And I thought this looked similar to that. Also better scaling on high dpi display.

Old Windows Phone app looked more like the present iPhone app, with the hamburger menu and all. Then again, screenshots in the appstore look like the new Windows Phone app, so could be my iPhone app hasn't updated in a long time (since I don't use it).

Sorry, insider fast.

And you are absolutely right, production is the best bet, even fast was very good for me until the last 3-4 builds.

Snapchat is kind of the last app that I really want to be using, but can't on WP now.

Speaking of which, the number of apps that have been coming out lately or getting significant updates is mildly impressive considering the tiny user base that isn't growing. I guess the strategy that there's a large user base to build apps for on desktop, so you might as well make a mobile version of your UMP works to a certain extent.

If anything, it will be more sad if the Snapchat rumour is true - because it's far, far too late. Nearly everyone's moved on - and they're not coming back.

They finally fixed the blurry/LQ album artwork issue in Groove Music. Pretty sure it was with the most recent update for the app. So pleased. Now all of album artwork is HQ, as it should have been from the start.

Also really like the new Spotify UI.

I won't believe Snapchat for Windows until I see it on my 950.

Top Bottom