• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
If anything, it will be more sad if the Snapchat rumour is true - because it's far, far too late. Nearly everyone's moved on - and they're not coming back.

If it is true, and I doubt very much that someone on a support account would know, it might mean that they are making one last real push with the Surface phone.

There's no chance WP will ever cater anything but a niche segment, but I suppose there is a small chance that this niche is large enough to be catered for for longer than just the next phone.

JaggedSac

Brad Sams freaked out about this. Apparently Microsoft has an app called OneClip that does exactly that across all platforms and they've been sitting on it for over a year.

Goodness. I know I've had need for that on multiple occasions.

Looks like .Net Core 1.0 and ASP.NET Core 1.0 was released today. Red Hat is supporting it too. Wth is going on in the world, lol.

KageMaru

If anything, it will be more sad if the Snapchat rumour is true - because it's far, far too late. Nearly everyone's moved on - and they're not coming back.

I'm definitely thinking of coming back but not because of the possibility of snapchat launching, Android is just not what I was expecting over the long term.

Sadly I'm still not sure if MS is serious about WP, so that makes me nervous.

Does anyone have Cortana give turn by turn directions with the new maps app?

I've used it quite a few times since adding my Icon to the fast ring. I like how natural the voice directions sound compared to other map apps.

I think a good percentage of the 3% that left could return and bring that number from 1% to 2%.

950/950XL are phones I'd still recommend to this day. Production builds have been very solid and reliable for me. Only gripe is that apps like the camera aren't updated fast enough and features like slo-mo are still poor.

KageMaru

Yeah, I ask cause I used it this past weekend and it just had the regular voice, no Cortana.

Are you on the fast ring? I remember maps having Cortana's voice at one point on the slow or production ring but it went back to the old voice for some reason. Once I jumped on the fast ring and updated maps again did I get Cortana's voice again. Not sure if it has anything to do with me having an Icon or something else.

Valkrai

I'll be honest, the lack of a Steam app was another reservation I had about it. I'm actually pretty damn tempted now that Valve made an app.

joshschw

So who else noted that they are removing Messaging Everywhere from builds from now? They plan to integrate with Skype instead, in the coming months......

Treo360

So who else noted that they are removing Messaging Everywhere from builds from now? They plan to integrate with Skype instead, in the coming months......

wtf??? I used this feature every day, super convenient. I was mad when they took out skype integration, but pleased when messaging everywhere was added, and now... Christ, what a roundabout.

Paganmoon

"We noticed you loved this feature, that wasn't locked behind Cortana, so we removed it!"

Fucking hell Microsoft...

Sordid

I was looking forward to Messaging Everywhere :( typical. Steam app is handy though, I can get rid of the unofficial one now.

How are the fast ring builds doing on the 950 XL? I'm still getting random reboots on the production builds.

Edit: If I move all of my apps to my SD card before resetting my phone will it recognise that they're there or will I have to download them all again?

Paganmoon

I was looking forward to Messaging Everywhere :( typical. Steam app is handy though, I can get rid of the unofficial one now.

How are the fast ring builds doing on the 950 XL? I'm still getting random reboots on the production builds.

Edit: If I move all of my apps to my SD card before resetting my phone will it recognise that they're there or will I have to download them all again?

Just unlinked the unofficial one, uninstalled and linked the official one, woooo.

The fast ring builds are still very hit and miss, wouldn't really recommend it for daily drivers. Latest build fixed Fitbit sync issues (again), but now Windows Hello is acting all janky again. slow to start, or might not even start up at times.

And I'd wager even if you move the apps to your SD and resetting, you will have to re-download them again.

Wow. Messaging is such a clusterfuck for Microsoft. They can't get it right since they bought Skype. I'm not saying MSN Messenger was amazing, but the development seemed to have a clear path forward. With Skype it's a constant back and forth.

Here is a WinRT app! Fuck Win32!
Wait no, the app sucks. Please use Win32!
Whoa, wait. Not so fast. Here's our new app!
But maybe we should decouple messaging from video? Here are two separate apps!
... So, how about that Win32 app?
Btw, we're going to own SMS now!

hadareud

The Translator
Wow. Messaging is such a clusterfuck for Microsoft. They can't get it right since they bought Skype. I'm not saying MSN Messenger was amazing, but the development seemed to have a clear path forward. With Skype it's a constant back and forth.

Yes it's mental.

They are constantly changing their mind. Not that the messaging everywhere thing can't be improved upon (it was very basic and the notifications were not synced between devices which made it annoying as fuck, because all of a sudden you'd get 20 notifications for messages you'd already read when you turned on your PC in the evening), but come on, make a decision and go with it.

kharma45

hahaha fuck me Microsoft's phone division is an absolute joke. Who is the clown involved in this 'strategy'?

Absolute joke.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
wtf is going on? Steam app?

There are more apps and updates coming out now when the platform is almost dead. Could have used this type of support back in 2012 :(

derFeef

There are more apps and updates coming out now when the platform is almost dead. Could have used this type of support back in 2012 :(

main-qimg-8f2854a029e50be8a5cd5504d36a49e7

Latest insider fast build definitely improved a lot over the one before.

30 minutes now and not a single app crash (believe me, before it wouldn't past a minute), even the keyboard in edge is no longer acting up.

Lol, the sad thing is that it's true.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yes the latest build seems stable. And FB Messenger app also runs better than the beta version.

Ridiculous indeed. Having Skype decoupled from the main structure of Microsoft is seriously hurting their messaging strategy.

MCD

It's all part of Belfiore's grand vacation. He is visiting every app dev as we speak.

maeh2k

Skype was such a typical Microsoft acquisition. They already had a good product in the market with Lync, went out to buy the biggest brand in the business for a shitload of money, then spent way too long to somehow link their two products, and in the end, Skype never went anywhere and after years, it's still bad...

Always looking backwards, buying big brands at or past their peak and then integrating them with their existing solutions, while competitors like WhatsApp, Slack, ... win the future.

derFeef

Sounds are not working right with the latest fast build. Notification sound is the standard one despite being set as a custome one for different apps.

Paganmoon

Sounds are not working right with the latest fast build. Notification sound is the standard one despite being set as a custome one for different apps.

yeah, and I couldn't get any audio through headset or the regular speaker on the phone, only through speakerphone. Fixed with a reboot though. Lots of jank with unlocking the phone too, much slower than before, Hello doesn't always start, and I can get hangs if I try to for instance disable Bluetooth through notification center while screen is locked. last for about 30 seconds before responding again.

Again, past few builds have been a few steps backward, 14371 was the most stable I had I think.

hadareud

The Translator
What is weird/worrying is how different the bugs are from phone to phone.

I haven't seen any of these problems at all, for instance. For me Redstone has become more stable and snappy with each build and battery life is as good as it's ever been.

That doesn't seem to be the case with others.

JaggedSac

What is weird/worrying is how different the bugs are from phone to phone.

I haven't seen any of these problems at all, for instance. For me Redstone has become more stable and snappy with each build and battery life is as good as it's ever been.

That doesn't seem to be the case with others.

Yeah, I'm not having any problems.

hankster

Brad Sams freaked out about this. Apparently Microsoft has an app called OneClip that does exactly that across all platforms and they've been sitting on it for over a year.
I remember MS mentioning that, it leaked, didn't work if you weren't official tester, disappeared.

Top Bottom