• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I'm still hoping for a 1080p display and for the 830 to be the secret successor to the 1020.

Sorry, I meant I'm dreaming.

Look, if it has a 1080p screen and the same rumored 20 MP camera from the 1520 or Icon, then what's the point of the device? It would be basically a 930. Unless, of course, it has a 720p screen an 1 GB RAM.

Also, 1020 successor with half the MP? Nah.

e: Nokia is always stingy when it comes to the resolution of the displays. Up until late 2013, Nokia had only 3 devices with a 720p screen. Everything below the 9xx series always had WVGA, no matter how expensive the device was. There's no way the 830 comes with a 1080p screen now.

Someone in this thread basically confirmed a 1080p version of the 830. What might suck is if the 1080p version has an 8mp camera while the 720p version has a 20mp camera but that's just me speculating.

hadareud

The Translator
Look, if it has a 1080p screen and the same rumored 20 MP camera from the 1520 or Icon, then what's the point of the device? It would be basically a 930. Unless, of course, it has a 720p screen an 1 GB RAM.

Also, 1020 successor with half the MP? Nah.

e: Nokia is always stingy when it comes to the resolution of the displays. Up until late 2013, Nokia had only 3 devices with a 720p screen. Everything below the 9xx series always had WVGA, no matter how expensive the device was. There's no way the 830 comes with a 1080p screen now.

It will have a 41mp camera, Qi charging, a 1080p screen and a 801 processor.

It's true because I want it to be so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still hoping for a 1080p display and for the 830 to be the secret successor to the 1020.

Sorry, I meant I'm dreaming.

but that is basically what the 930 is. 20MP camera with OIS like the 1520, 1080p screen etc. The 830 has to be lower specced - either lower screen res, lower ram or lower spec camera (or some/all of those)

Someone in this thread basically confirmed a 1080p version of the 830. What might suck is if the 1080p version has an 8mp camera while the 720p version has a 20mp camera but that's just me speculating.

isn't that supposed to be operator exclusive? Wonder if they might do that to get around the Icon exclusivity - bring out something similar in spec but still technically a different model?

isn't that supposed to be operator exclusive? Wonder if they might do that to get around the Icon exclusivity - bring out something similar in spec but still technically a different model?
Yup, in the US for example, t-mobile would get the 831, ATT the 830, and Verizon the 838. Each with their own exclusive feature; Qi charging, 1080p screen,or a 20mp camera. Again, just speculating.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Can I encrypt my 1020? Trying to push windows phone at my place of work, but we require encryption.

Calendar and Battery Saver also require manual closing.

IE closes a bit strangely. Sometimes you'll just go back through your entire browsing history in that tab before closing, other times one back is all you need.

Prez

Calendar and Battery Saver also require manual closing.

IE closes a bit strangely. Sometimes you'll just go back through your entire browsing history in that tab before closing, other times one back is all you need.

Hold down the back button, then close the browser.

nillapuddin

Just took my 1020 to Cyan from latest Dev Preview

No longer able to connect to Wi-Fi, and even worse "..Resuming.." than before.

Fml

What should I do, I've been having really disruptive Resuming the past week or more. Should I bite the bullet and use that rollback application?

KageMaru

Cyan available for 1020 and 1520 developer preview.

I wonder if those phones receive an OS update to download cyan or if MS is now sending the firmware through the dev preview program. If it's the latter, why not send it out to all phones like they do for the core update?

No longer able to connect to Wi-Fi, and even worse "..Resuming.." than before.

Fml

What should I do, I've been having really disruptive Resuming the past week or more. Should I bite the bullet and use that rollback application?

It's the latest update to dev preview that mess it up. I am thinking about resetting the phone and roll back.

nillapuddin

What exactly should I back up manually if anything if I'm gunna roll back. I'm assuming most stuff will be cloud saved, but what isn't?

edit: unchecked myself from developer preview, went back and installed Cyan legit

Razdek

Banned
How's the recharge time on the newer phones? My 8X takes forever to charge compared to my Nexus 5 and it's very annoying.

Commodore

Gotta say, the Spotify app, now that I've had a chance to use it with the latest update to 4.0 is pretty damn impressive. It seems like its the type of service/app design that I expected XBOX Music to be. Works great, music loads quickly, design is excellent, thematic playlists abound, lots of ways to access different portals of types of music. Think I'm gonna switch for now.

Prez

Is there an easier way to fill in my email address? I don't like having to type it out all the time after logging out of certain apps.

Also I don't have the $ and è signs on the Dutch keyboard. No solution for that?

The dollar sign is on the numeral keyboard (press the &123 key first).

To get an è or é, just keep pressing the regular e and select.

Edit: you're right it isn't on the Dutch one, but you can install multiple keyboards and switch using the "ENG" / "NLD" / ... key at the bottom.

Prez

The dollar sign is on the numeral keyboard (press the &123 key first).

To get an è or é, just keep pressing the regular e and select.

Edit: you're right it isn't on the Dutch one, but you can install multiple keyboards and switch using the "ENG" / "NLD" / ... key at the bottom.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now, I have to do that when I write in English because of auto correct but then I get a qwerty keyboard :/

One really big annoyance: I tried to add a contact and I can't seem to do that on my sim card? I can only add a contact to outlook but then the contact doesn't appear when I want to call or text.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a good alarm clock app that shows your active alarms on a live tile, and ideally works with cortana for setting? Basic alarm app is pretty bare bones

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Does anybody know a good sports case/armband that works with the 920?

I'm tired as shit of carrying mine in my pockets, to the point that I began leaving it at home when I go to the gym because I don't want to smash it by accident (free weights kind of hang at the height of my pockets) and the headphone's cable gets everywhere.

Prez

Just got my free cover for the 630 from Nokia. It's much better quality plastic than the original cover and it doesn't come out as easily, so I'd recommend an extra cover if you're annoyed that it comes off every time you drop it.

n64coder

No longer able to connect to Wi-Fi,

I just updated my 1020 to Cyan. No trouble connecting to WiFi. I do see something different with the WiFi strength signal. There's a tiny arrow that keeps flashing on/off. Never seen that before. I did shutoff my data connection and verified that I can still access stuff on the web.

Just got notified that there's another update. Updating again to get the latest developer update.

n64coder

I do see something different with the WiFi strength signal. There's a tiny arrow that keeps flashing on/off. Never seen that before.

Googled (well, actually Bing'ed) and found out that it just means data is being sent out or received depending on the direction of the arrow. Never noticed that before.

Spotify seems like a pretty good app. Anyone considering switching from Xbox Music?

I will at the end of the month. It's not just the app on either platform, but Spotify as a service is just much better than Xbox Music. The only reason I stopped using Spotify was because XBM is free for me and was good enough in 8.0.

nillapuddin

So as of me waking up this morning, my phone is now just out of the tune up shop fast, no resuming anywhere. Apparently it felt bad about last night and decided to level up. I'm okay with this, but have no explanation for its decline or improvement, oh well

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I still have 2 one year cards for XM. Since the recent update (as well as getting Cyan) it has been working very well. Add to to fact it has been syncing perfectly with my other devices (PC and X1).

Magni

My 820's micro-USB port broke :(

I'm back to my 521, but it seems a LOT slower than when I last used it (March), waiting for the 830 to release, hoping for a $350 unlocked pre-tax price in the US...

Razdek

Banned
I still have 2 one year cards for XM. Since the recent update (as well as getting Cyan) it has been working very well. Add to to fact it has been syncing perfectly with my other devices (PC and X1).

How the hell is that possible? I add songs from the android app, website or PC and it never syncs it up right away on my WP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell is that possible? I add songs from the android app, website or PC and it never syncs it up right away on my WP.

Weird. I'm going from WP to other devices. Maybe that is the difference?

What usually happens is I will download some songs to my phone, go to XM on my surface and just after it signs me in it says adding X songs to my collection.

For me it's the other way around. I made a playlist on my Windows Phone and it never synced to my other phone or PC. XBM is crap.

Top Bottom