• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Getting the band replaced is easy assuming that you have an MS store near you.

Also, this will go down as the worst year ever for phones. And the industry is so much poorer for having lost the third ecosystem. This would've been a good year for folks looking at alternatives if the ecosystem were still alive with hardware and software.

Also, this will go down as the worst year ever for phones. And the industry is so much poorer for having lost the third ecosystem. This would've been a good year for folks looking at alternatives if the ecosystem were still alive with hardware and software.
Will it still be easy now? It has been in the past, I've gotten it replaced before and it was easy as can be.

NeOak

Will it still be easy now? It has been in the past, I've gotten it replaced before and it was easy as can be.

Didn't they also remove the stock from the MS Stores too?

Speaking of Band, as a person in the military, having a watch that needs to charge essentially every day AND isn't water proof is kind of a pain in the ass. Are there any other smart watches that work well with Windows Phone? I know I'll probably need to use a third party app or some shit, but if I can get my texts/calls on it and it's waterproof that's already a big improvement. I imagine I won't get the same level of fitness features though...

Also absolutely need music control. Can't live without that.
Like I'd literally die from trying to change the song while driving.

kazinova

My dalliance with Android was a huge mistake. I just didn't want to go back to iPhone but I will relent when I find a good deal for a 6S, unless...

Please Surface team, I know you're not supposed to, but... save us from Apple! We want to believe!

frontieruk

My dalliance with Android was a huge mistake. I just didn't want to go back to iPhone but I will relent when I find a good deal for a 6S, unless...

Please Surface team, I know you're not supposed to, but... save us from Apple! We want to believe!

I feel dirty with my iPhone 7 but I just couldn't deal with android any more :(

Android has been fine for me so far. The OS has its pros and cons compared to WM, battery life is solid on standby but dreadful with regular usage, but the mature app ecosystem cannot be understated (it's a complete night and day experience).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How much do you guys think I can get for a bundle of L950, Band 2, and continuum dock? Nowhere near retail value I know but hopefully I can recoup at least a decent amount back.

It's up on eBay but if a fellow gaffer wants to make an offer pm me.

kazinova

Man, it sucks to see so many hardcore WP people on this thread moving on. So many of us were here starting at WP7 and everyone's moving on.

I will say I miss how WM handles contacts big time. It's garbage on Android, and you can't even sync facebook contact photos on the platform either.

I will say I miss how WM handles contacts big time. It's garbage on Android, and you can't even sync facebook contact photos on the platform either.

I was really confused by your post, because I remember Windows Mobile handling contacts quite shitty ("hey, it's me! Active Sync! Hey! HEY!")

But then I remembered that we're basically back to the Windows Mobile naming scheme again.

I was really confused by your post, because I remember Windows Mobile handling contacts quite shitty ("hey, it's me! Active Sync! Hey! HEY!")

But then I remembered that we're basically back to the Windows Mobile naming scheme again.

In my experience, Windows does a pretty decent job at combining contacts from different sources. When I open contacts from Android, I'll see someone's exact matching name repeated as 5 different contacts.

And, as I mentioned no Facebook photos is a big hit, especially with messaging featuring profile photos prominently.

Been on my iPhone for about half a year now and there is a LOT that Windows did/does better.

Contacts is a big one. iPhone technically has contact sync/link but it is beyond shitty and unreliable.

Man, it sucks to see so many hardcore WP people on this thread moving on. So many of us were here starting at WP7 and everyone's moving on.
I started with the 920. 2013 really was a different time. Things were looking promising and it was exciting riding the 3rd place platform even then. Now, everything is dismal. I'm sure we're on net loss of apps and that's not changing any time soon. It's a tough, but necessary change when the platform is essentially abandoned. I said I would move on in June, but yet here I am still.

I was one of those guys that lurked here forever, even had some HTC devices to play with but never committed fully. Microsoft simply missed the train on this ride, I always used either an iPhone and now an Android device.

Microsoft didn't need to constantly restart the platform, I'm sure that doesn't help the confidence of committed developers. Also, Google can do one for not supporting the platform, what a shitty situation for Microsoft.

maeh2k

"If and when anything like a Surface Phone ends up materializing, it will likely be late 2017 or maybe even not until 2018, my contacts have said recently." (source)

Ganondolf

I don't know what to do now. My Nokia 925 is over 3 years old. I was going to wait for the surface phone what was rumoured to be out by quarter one next year but I was expecting it in June. Now there is rumours that it will be late 2017 or even 2018.

Seems like the only option I have is Android or ios.

Been on Windows mobile since 6.0

Microsoft has really screwed up their mobile platform. By the time they release the surface phone there won't be anyone left on the OS.

I don't know what to do now. My Nokia 925 is over 3 years old. I was going to wait for the surface phone what was rumoured to be out by quarter one next year but I was expecting it in June. Now there is rumours that it will be late 2017 or even 2018.

Seems like the only option I have is Android or ios.

Basically. I was really looking forward to coming back to Windows/Surface Phone in 2017--hope it still makes it.

frontieruk

Basically. I was really looking forward to coming back to Windows/Surface Phone in 2017--hope it still makes it.

I have an iPhone 7, if ms knock out a surface phone next year I'm back, I've preferred my iOS experience more than any of the android devices I've had, but WP just feels like home.

by early accounts, the Pixel's camera is the one to beat.

edit: I can't pull the trigger on a Pixel purchase as I'd miss Tubecast too much.

maeh2k

by early accounts, the Pixel's camera is the one to beat.

There are certainly no more new Windows Mobile competitors now that Lumia is dead and Surface Phone is uncertain/distant. The business-focused devices of the few OEMs that still bother with the platform won't be able to compete.

Have Microsoft even kept the Lumia camera team with all those layoffs?

There are certainly no more new Windows Mobile competitors now that Lumia is dead and Surface Phone is uncertain/distant. The business-focused devices of the few OEMs that still bother with the platform won't be able to compete.

Have Microsoft even kept the Lumia camera team with all those layoffs?
No, that one guy who became the face of the camera team left Microsoft to go back with Nokia to develop 360/VR cameras.

JaggedSac

Phone cameras have pretty much peaked unless you start adding weird multi lens things like the iPhone. Only so much you can do with the sensor sizes and lenses that are being used. Physics and all that. Camera quality is hardly a differentiator going forward. At least at given price points.

I have an iPhone 7, if ms knock out a surface phone next year I'm back, I've preferred my iOS experience more than any of the android devices I've had, but WP just feels like home.
I have a nexus 6, but this is me. I started with an HD7 and loved it. I bailed to Android when my 920 finally died but I can't stand it. I've been holding out for a new MS phone but if there isn't one next year I will jump ship to iPhone

clav

What exactly makes you guys hate Android? I've read it quite often in here and don't get it.

I think these people go app crazy after starving on Windows Phone and don't realize that certain apps install background services that can drain the battery quickly and slow the system down.

Windows Phone doesn't care what kind of apps you install right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Windows Phone doesn't care what kind of apps you install right?

Neither does iOS. I'm giving Android another chance because of the no headphone jack thing, but the OS has let me down in the past and I'm not looking forward waking up one day and realizing that something is misbehaving and causing performance and battery life issues and I may not be able to do anything about it.

We didn't move on.

MS left us. They moved so we moved.

This pretty much. I recently got Samsung Galaxy S7 for my daughter and well I was really surprise how nice the phone is. Gone are the annoying skins (there are some but they are mostly not intrusive), but most importantly this is the phone that I found have all the features of Windows Phone that I missed - wireless charging, solid body, god tier camera, expandable storage and while the design is subjective - S7 is a nice looking phone with design elements (borrow or steal from everyone from HTC, Apple to Nexus ) and most important of all it is a very good size phone. It reminded me a lot of Samsung Focus, my first Windows Phone. This will be my next phone when my One Plus crap out. I really miss having wireless charging and I even dig out all my Nokia charger to use with it. And yes, camera I really miss having great camera ... how sad that Nokia was pretty much way ahead of everybody .. remember when everyone was making fun of camera hump on Nokia phone? Now even Apple phones have humps.

Yes it's too bad that Microsoft never seems to fully commit to the mobile space and I think now they just happy to be service company.

clav

Neither does iOS. I'm giving Android another chance because of the no headphone jack thing, but the OS has let me down in the past and I'm not looking forward waking up one day and realizing that something is misbehaving and causing performance and battery life issues and I may not be able to do anything about it.
iOS absolutely does, too. You hear things like the Facebook app draining battery.

What exactly makes you guys hate Android? I've read it quite often in here and don't get it.
It's buggy as shit for me. Every update breaks something. For a while I could get audio from embedded videos and when that was fixed it wouldn't auto connect to wifi. It required a restart of the phone. Right now it connects to wifi but it takes like 39 seconds before I can actually do anything. Really annoying. So every time I let me screen turn off and i turn my phone back on I have to wait a bit before I try to open something or go to a site.

I don't have many apps and im actually happy with the battery life. But compared to my 920 it's awfully buggy. My wife's note 5 seems stable but her battery life is terrible. Mine has also been throwing fits and restarting randomly.

joshschw

Okay, I was at the MS Store the other day and didn't realize that the Elite X3 they had on display was out a bit early.

(They also had moved the phone display to the back corner of the store. :( )

Seemed like a super solid piece of hardware. Scrolling was mysteriously slow on it, maybe this was pre-new-firmware Elite X3? HUGE device! Camera seemed nice but incredibly slow compared to a Lumia.

Figments

Is anyone else getting hit with the c101b000 error code when trying to update/install apps from the Windows Store on WP8.1? I've been having this issue since yesterday when I got my phone and it's worrying the hell out of me.

NeOak

Okay, I was at the MS Store the other day and didn't realize that the Elite X3 they had on display was out a bit early.

Seemed like a super solid piece of hardware. Scrolling was mysteriously slow on it, maybe this was pre-new-firmware Elite X3? HUGE device! Camera seemed nice but incredibly slow compared to a Lumia.

Yeah, that must have been on the old firmware according to the benches.

Is anyone else getting hit with the c101b000 error code when trying to update/install apps from the Windows Store on WP8.1? I've been having this issue since yesterday when I got my phone and it's worrying the hell out of me.

That should fix itself. Give it another day.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Likely wasnt updated. Rubino has been really positive about the device.

I'm on a cheapass Android phone and I don't have any complaints with it so far. I use it in pretty much the same way as I used my cheapass Windows phones (and my 1520 too for that matter): mostly browsing GAF, listening to podcasts and music, and a few apps. The number of apps I use regularly has increased a bit due to there being more available, but not much.

Top Bottom