• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Playlist showed up when I launched Xbox Music on my Surface....* shrugs

I'm sure there are a variety of things that can cause problems though.

ElNino

Weird. I'm going from WP to other devices. Maybe that is the difference?

What usually happens is I will download some songs to my phone, go to XM on my surface and just after it signs me in it says adding X songs to my collection.
I have found XM works pretty well for me as well. Anything added to my collection or playlists from either the phone or Surface gets picked up the other the next time I launch the app. Phone performance is now at least to a usable level as well, certainly not to where it was before but at least we get additional functionality (ie. playlist editing).

asdad123

So I cracked my galaxy s5 and had to mail it into squaretrade to get repaired. Instead of being without a phone for a couple days, I purchased a Lumia 520 for $50 brand new. Honestly I kind of like it.

I got the s5 back today and am actually thinking of selling it and just keeping the Lumia haha. Would like it to have flash for the camera, but what can you expect for $50. I wont be afraid of breaking it lol.

Any tips for a first time windows phone user?

NeOak

So I cracked my galaxy s5 and had to mail it into squaretrade to get repaired. Instead of being without a phone for a couple days, I purchased a Lumia 520 for $50 brand new. Honestly I kind of like it.

I got the s5 back today and am actually thinking of selling it and just keeping the Lumia haha. Would like it to have flash for the camera, but what can you expect for $50. I wont be afraid of breaking it lol.

Don't use Xbox music.

Razdek

Banned
Weird. I'm going from WP to other devices. Maybe that is the difference?

What usually happens is I will download some songs to my phone, go to XM on my surface and just after it signs me in it says adding X songs to my collection.

Does it sync up right away? I don't understand why the app doesn't have a refresh button.

Page 1 of this thread is a start, maybe WP specific sites like wpcentral.com

PG2G

Jesus Christ you need update one in order to have the live Xbox Music tile? ThIs is bordering on ridiculous now.

We all knew that. It probably required some kind of API update. If existing APIs allowed stuff like that we'd be seeing more crazy live tiles in 3rd party apps.

One of the benefits of core stupid using the same third party APIs is it forces them to improve them in capability and performance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is it me, or is there a huge problem between windows 8 and syncing with onedrive? Both my laptop and desktop refuse to sync properly most of the time. In windows 7, the desktop client works just like Dropbox, but it is highly unreliable on windows 8. I can see files on my phone that don't show up on my onedrive when viewed through the desktop. They eventually show up, but sometimes if it's a word document that I edit on my phone, it will create a duplicate in the desktop because it didn't sync quickly enough. What a mess windows 8 had turned it to be.

stktt

Banned
The live tile is great, albeit long overdue. Loading/resuming screens aren't as lengthy, either. My album artwork is properly displayed now. At this point, I don't have any complaints other than hoping for some more performance improvements. Being able to actually manage my collection and playlists from the phone instead of relying on cloud synching or the desktop client is enough to make me prefer this app.

derFeef

Is it me, or is there a huge problem between windows 8 and syncing with onedrive? Both my laptop and desktop refuse to sync properly most of the time. In windows 7, the desktop client works just like Dropbox, but it is highly unreliable on windows 8. I can see files on my phone that don't show up on my onedrive when viewed through the desktop. They eventually show up, but sometimes if it's a word document that I edit on my phone, it will create a duplicate in the desktop because it didn't sync quickly enough. What a mess windows 8 had turned it to be.

I also always have this problem, especially sucky if you put photos on onedrive from your phone and they just don't show up on my desktop machine.

n64coder

Welcome to the club! I bought a 620 last fall because I was concerned about spending a lot of money for a phone that I might not like but I became a convert and bought a 1020 six months later.

Are you running 8.1?

I recommend reading the guide/help for the phone so you know all of the cool features. One of my favorites is the Word Flow keyboard that I discovered by accident.

New Kantar numbers.

kUfwc7I.png

And Archos is doing a $99 Windows Phone with a Snarpdragon 200.

Totakeke

I recently moved to another country and the time zone sync is not working at all and this is driving me insane. I went to set all my time zone settings in Outlook 2013, on my SP3 computer settings, at Outlook.com, on my Lumia 925 to the new time zone but they don't seem to talk to each other. Now I have half of my calendars showing my events in the am and the other half of my calendars showing the same events in the pm. And if I to correct the event timing on one calendar it'll become wrong in another calendar.

Fuck, this is killing me. Please give me a big reset button.

jagowar

Anybody have 8.1 on a lumia 925? Not sure if this is a tmobile issue or lumia (since we don't have cyan yet). I know tmobile is in the process of overhauling their 2g/3g networks to lte but for some reason my phone will never see/use the 3g or hspa+ network anymore. Its especially annoying when I drive and am trying to use nav because it drops all the way down to their 2g network and I see lots of dns errors there and data barely functions on their 2g network in remote areas.

Now this isnt a huge issue because I don't travel that often and I will be getting a new phone this fall (likely the 830 if the rumors end up being true). Not sure if this could be a tmobile or 8.1 problem.

Volotaire

I had my phone stolen a few months back and need a temporary, but capable, smartphone. Looking at the range, the 520 (perhaps not the 530) seems to be the best choice for going for a used handset for about £30 to reach a very cheap price. I was wondering if any users had any opinions on it (users/owners). 620/630 owners are welcome to chime in to.

Anybody have 8.1 on a lumia 925? Not sure if this is a tmobile issue or lumia (since we don't have cyan yet). I know tmobile is in the process of overhauling their 2g/3g networks to lte but for some reason my phone will never see/use the 3g or hspa+ network anymore. Its especially annoying when I drive and am trying to use nav because it drops all the way down to their 2g network and I see lots of dns errors there and data barely functions on their 2g network in remote areas.

Now this isnt a huge issue because I don't travel that often and I will be getting a new phone this fall (likely the 830 if the rumors end up being true). Not sure if this could be a tmobile or 8.1 problem.

I do have 8.1 on a 925 but I actually don't know if it ever uses 3(.5)g. My provider has full 4g coverage in populated areas. I know a few weird dark spots but I also didn't get 3g on my old phone there.

NeOak

Seems a T-mobile issue.

MarkusRJR

EDIT: I'm dumb, found what I was looking for on the MS account website.

What sounds better for an email address: firstname.middleinitials.lastname or firstnamemiddleinitialslastname

Not sure if the periods make it harder to tell people or not.

Live tile is long overdue, but nice to have. I actually prefer the tile to stop when music isn't playing (or maybe they could do a specific music paused tile in the future...)

Other random thing, can you not attach a document from your OneDrive to an email?

Magni

What sounds better for an email address: firstname.middleinitials.lastname or firstnamemiddleinitialslastname

Periods sounds better.

Razdek

Banned
We all knew that. It probably required some kind of API update. If existing APIs allowed stuff like that we'd be seeing more crazy live tiles in 3rd party apps.

One of the benefits of core stupid using the same third party APIs is it forces them to improve them in capability and performance.

It's just a live tile to make it work the same way as it was in 8.0. I don't even think it's doing anything different is it? I think it's ridiculous if they had to wait for update 1 to implement this in.

Is there a way to make photos that I take automatically upload to onedrive? It is really annoying to go in and upload them one by one. I also wish it would put them into a folder by date rather then just dump them all in together.

dLMN8R

At this point I probably won't consider the HTC One even when it comes to AT&T or T-Mobile just because the camera is inexplicably worse than my two-year-old 920.

Ugh.

ElNino

Nah, it's just this app is pissing me off and I was stupid enough to buy a music pass for the next two years. What a waste of money especially now that Spotify is available in Canada.
Is it? Last time I checked it wasn't available yet here, without getting a special invite at least. I even tried creating an account through the WP app to try it out and that doesn't work either.

Between XM and MixRadio, I'm not sure if I would really need/use Spotify but I'd like to give it a shot to see how it works.

At this point I probably won't consider the HTC One even when it comes to AT&T or T-Mobile just because the camera is inexplicably worse than my two-year-old 920.

Ugh.

I knew the camera in the Nexus 5 wasn't great, but with the same MP amount in the sensor and OIS, I was hoping it would be similar to my 920. I couldn't have been more wrong, goddamnit.

jagowar

I do have 8.1 on a 925 but I actually don't know if it ever uses 3(.5)g. My provider has full 4g coverage in populated areas. I know a few weird dark spots but I also didn't get 3g on my old phone there.

Most of the time in the city I am on lte too but when I would travel outside the city it dropped to 3g/2g (pre 8.1 it would drop to 3g and still work well because tmobiles 3g network is actually quite good and seemed to be everywhere they had service) but now it will drop to 2g and data is unusable. The sim and phone are exactly the same other than going to the dev preview.

Actually when I go look in the sim settings there is only 2g, 4g and lte listed now (no 3g or hdpa+ at all).

I do know tmobile was in the process of refarming their entire network to lte and it was supposed to be done around this time so that was my initial thinking. http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-to-upgrade-2g-network-to-4g-lte-takes-on-verizon/

KageMaru

We got an update for music but aren't we also supposed to get an update for video as well? I'm hoping they add the feature to be able to download content with the phone locked. Started downloading a movie yesterday but later realized the download was paused because my phone was locked. HD support would also be nice.

Other random thing, can you not attach a document from your OneDrive to an email?

I'm able to select the document from OneDrive or open the file from OneDrive and email it both ways.

It's just a live tile to make it work the same way as it was in 8.0. I don't even think it's doing anything different is it? I think it's ridiculous if they had to wait for update 1 to implement this in.

There's a difference between a feature baked into the OS and an app that is dependent on what the APIs supports.

Is there a way to make photos that I take automatically upload to onedrive? It is really annoying to go in and upload them one by one. I also wish it would put them into a folder by date rather then just dump them all in together.

There should be backup options in the settings. There you should be able to turn on automatic backup for apps, messages, and photos/videos.

We got an update for music but aren't we also supposed to get an update for video as well? I'm hoping they add the feature to be able to download content with the phone locked. Started downloading a movie yesterday but later realized the download was paused because my phone was locked. HD support would also be nice.

I'm able to select the document from OneDrive or open the file from OneDrive and email it both ways.

There's a difference between a feature baked into the OS and an app that is dependent on what the APIs supports.

There should be backup options in the settings. There you should be able to turn on automatic backup for apps, messages, and photos/videos.

Thank you, I cant believe that I never noticed that backup option before.

n64coder

I use the period which gmail accepts but I don't think @outlook.com allows email addresses with periods in them. I might be confused but my daughters have their full names on gmail but I wasn't able to create the same accounts on outlook.com. I think it merged it together without periods.

As someone else mentioned, you need to change your settings. Yes, everything is uploaded to Camera Roll folder but if you click on All Photos in OneDrive, you'll see the photos sorted by date although it's all on one page.

ElNino

I use the period which gmail accepts but I don't think @outlook.com allows email addresses with periods in them. I might be confused but my daughters have their full names on gmail but I wasn't able to create the same accounts on outlook.com. I think it merged it together without periods.
You can use periods with @outlook.com. My primary account has a period in it, and I have an alias without. My son also has a period in his Outlook email.

Top Bottom