• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Is anyone else getting hit with the c101b000 error code when trying to update/install apps from the Windows Store on WP8.1? I've been having this issue since yesterday when I got my phone and it's worrying the hell out of me.
Oh, so it's not just me. Also, today I had to manually sync emails because I hadn't gotten anything synced since Sunday. Also, a lot of the emails I have look worse now (specifically the ones I designed and had confirmed working). What's going on?

joshschw

Likely wasnt updated. Rubino has been really positive about the device.

Yeah, that must have been on the old firmware according to the benches.

Probably - just wanted people here to know it's out in MS Stores if they wanted to check it out in person!

Looked killer - never going to spend $799 for a phone though!

Was so sad that they dumped the Windows phones in the back corner :( No more Bands either :(

So, luckily my local MS Store had replacement Bands still, so I got mine replaced. On the flip side, this is my fourth Band 2 and none have had working GPS, which I just kinda laugh about at this point.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So, luckily my local MS Store had replacement Bands still, so I got mine replaced. On the flip side, this is my fourth Band 2 and none have had working GPS, which I just kinda laugh about at this point.

If mine tears again, ill likely make them give me a Fitbit

clav

So I picked up a phone for kicks to try out Windows 10 mobile.

I just hard reset the phone after upgrading to the latest 14393 stable (non-insider). I still have an issue of an app that doesn't want to uninstall. I hate how the phone always tries to reinstall default bloatware when resetting even though the 8.1 bloatware is now dead and unusable.

I suppose I need to hard reset again or would it be better to debrand the phone to a normal Lumia 640?

edit: 321 was just pushed out. I probably will hard reset again if the problem persists.

If mine tears again, ill likely make them give me a Fitbit
Speaking of Fitbit, what are the other options as far as watches go with Windows phone?

Main concerns are sleep tracking, alarm/timer, music control, text/phone notifications (not worried about replys, just the buzz on my wrist), and WATER PROOFING. Would love to just not worry about shit breaking.

derFeef

Speaking of Fitbit, what are the other options as far as watches go with Windows phone?

Main concerns are sleep tracking, alarm/timer, music control, text/phone notifications (not worried about replys, just the buzz on my wrist), and WATER PROOFING. Would love to just not worry about shit breaking.

I have a pebble time and it's working okay with an unofficial app and my 950. The current version do not have heart rate and stuff, but step/sleep tracking seems to work good.
Some watchfaces and apps have problem due to the unofficial app aspect and it seems a battery drainer sometimes, but notifications work good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

There are the Blaze Watch and the new Charge 2. Only problem is that Windows Mobile does not support GATT, which is some kind of Bluetooth api which Fitbit uses for stuff like text notifications. Apparently Redstone 2 will support it eventually.

Not sure what else there is.

clav

Reset again. Everything is online.

I wish there were alternative web browsers.

Other than that, experience seems smooth. Really love the look and build of the phone.

Going to run on it SIM free to see if there are any reboot issues present.

ty_hot

Do you guys have problems with the email app? Most of the time, when I need to write an email (and only the first time) the backspace doesn't work and the send button doesn't work as well, I just get stuck in there, have to force close the app, then open again, the email that I was writing will still be there as a draft but it will crash again if I use it, so I have to delete it and start a new one, that will work fine.

deadbluesky

Neo Member
Do you guys have problems with the email app? Most of the time, when I need to write an email (and only the first time) the backspace doesn't work and the send button doesn't work as well, I just get stuck in there, have to force close the app, then open again, the email that I was writing will still be there as a draft but it will crash again if I use it, so I have to delete it and start a new one, that will work fine.

Had this bug with my GMail account. Just delete your Google (resp.) account from mail and sign in again.

Paganmoon

None of the Fitbits have water proofing (other than sweat//running in rain, but no swimming). I think you'll have to go with Withings (which are expensive as hell for what you get imo), or the Garmin and the like for heartrate tracking, not sure Garmin has sleep tracking though.

Only Fitbit has an official Windows app afaik.

Tomcat

Reset again. Everything is online.

I wish there were alternative web browsers.

Other than that, experience seems smooth. Really love the look and build of the phone.

Going to run on it SIM free to see if there are any reboot issues present.

Check monument browser. It's really good.

hadareud

The Translator
None of the Fitbits have water proofing (other than sweat//running in rain, but no swimming). I think you'll have to go with Withings (which are expensive as hell for what you get imo), or the Garmin and the like for heartrate tracking, not sure Garmin has sleep tracking though.

Only Fitbit has an official Windows app afaik.

Garmin does too.

I had actually stumbled across Garmin being a contender before I had asked, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options. So I'll probably get a Garmin then.

derFeef

I actually hope Pebble Time 2 will work with WP (unofficial or not), it seems like the thing I want and need. HR, notifications, apps, watchfaces, not too big.

I actually hope Pebble Time 2 will work with WP (unofficial or not), it seems like the thing I want and need. HR, notifications, apps, watchfaces, not too big.

Yeah, that would be ideal. I'm fine with some small wiggles, but some water proof Pebble would be great.

clav

3GB seems like a lot required for the OS.

edit: I'm impressed with the standby time on this OS.

Sucks that there are some apps I need.

maeh2k

The Verge is already gearing up for the reviews of the new Macbooks: "Apple is expected to debut a new MacBook Pro and Lenovo’s X1 Yoga will compete directly with it. That means that anything less than perfect, especially at a starting price of $1,869, won’t be enough if Apple shakes up the world once again with a new look for its laptop." (source)

I also like how a review of a convertible laptop with stylus and a cutting edge OLED display contains the sentence "IT'S TIME TO BRING THE THINKPAD INTO THE 21ST CENTURY".

Looks like they've given up on battery life benchmarks.

Totakeke

The Band 3 might have been waterproof, had a swimming tile, and an EKG sensor.

Sad we won't get it.

Just saw this
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-3-slimmer-waterproof-new-sensors

Is anyone still on the Nadella train? He may be a great corporate CEO but his vision of Microsoft can't be any more risk-averse and dull.

That said I think the surface AiOs will be interesting.

Also what does it say about Windows Phone when this thread is still chugging along at 23k+ posts.

maeh2k

Just saw this

Is anyone still on the Nadella train? He may be a great corporate CEO but his vision of Microsoft can't be any more risk-averse and dull.

Also what does it say about Windows Phone when this thread is still chugging along at 23k+ posts.

I can't imagine that the Band 3 would have suddenly taken off. With the new Apple watch, there's more competition and there are bigger brands in that market.
In the mobile/wearable space, Microsoft's products are basically doomed. If someone has an iPhone or an Android phone, I assume they are more likely to gravitate towards non-Microsoft products that seemingly integrate better with the devices they already own.

Microsoft has never had much success in the consumer space. Focusing on the stuff that works seems like a viable strategy, even if that's going to turn them into the next IBM.

Caayn

I'd have bought a Band if it supported audio playback so that I can use it during my workout without carrying my phone with me.

Just saw this

Microsoft doesn't offer much for the general consumer anymore, aside from Xbox. Everything is an enterprise play. When it can be adapted for regular customers, then it's merely a bonus. Anything else they offer that hasn't a foot in the enterprise market could be axed rather sooner than later, because they just cannot commit to anything in the long-term anymore. I'm wondering when Groove is next.

It's nothing new for you guys, but it's very frustrating to follow Microsoft and I'm kinda done with it. They still have great products. I like Windows 10, I love my Surface Pro 4, I'll most likely keep using their services like Outlook.com, OneDrive and OneNote. But aside from that, there no reason for me to commit to their products when they can't do the same. Where is Xbox Video, sorry, Movies and TV for Android or other platforms in general?

Hell, why the FUCK hasn't Cortana for Android been released outside the US yet?

maeh2k

I'm wondering when Groove is next.

Groove should have been killed a long time ago. It has basically zero traction.
Amazon announced their Amazon Music Unlimited service this week and I looked at a couple of articles about that. Not one even mentioned Groove. Mostly Spotify, Apple, Google, and a bit of Tidal, Pandora.

Lazaro

Groove should have been killed a long time ago. It has basically zero traction.
Amazon announced their Amazon Music Unlimited service this week and I looked at a couple of articles about that. Not one even mentioned Groove. Mostly Spotify, Apple, Google, and a bit of Tidal, Pandora.

Should have stuck with Xbox Music, much more marketable even though people thought you'd need an Xbox to access it.

That said what does Groove offer compared to it's competitors? Does it even have a family plan?

Totakeke

It wouldn't surprise me in the future that when the Surface team has some missteps and duds, they'll be shut down as well. It feels to me they're holding on because of their successes and public reception and not because Microsoft's desire to expand into the hardware space.

maeh2k

It wouldn't surprise me in the future that when the Surface team has some missteps and duds, they'll be shut down as well. It feels to me they're holding on because of their successes and public reception and not because Microsoft's desire to expand into the hardware space.

I'm not at all worried about the Surface team. They are very much in line with Nadella's focus on productivity.

Whaaaa dunno what you guys are talkin about I love Groove.

Same here. I really miss the Groove app on my Lumia 950 :( the Android version is literally trash compared to the beautiful Windows 10 Mobile version.

There's a lot I miss from Windows Phone: Microsoft Edge, 6tag, the messaging app, the best phone OS/UI, Groove Music , the camera.

Currently using a moto g first gen, impatiently waiting for my Google Pixel XL to get here sometime next week hopefully.

frontieruk

Same here. I really miss the Groove app on my Lumia 950 :( the Android version is literally trash compared to the beautiful Windows 10 Mobile version.

There's a lot I miss from Windows Phone: Microsoft Edge, 6tag, the messaging app, the best phone OS/UI, Groove Music , the camera.

Currently using a moto g first gen, impatiently waiting for my Google Pixel XL to get here sometime next week hopefully.

At least it works now, once upon a time you couldn't stream music which sucked,i still think the android one looks better than the bulk of android music apps.

dLMN8R

Thurott is charging $64 per year to read articles on his website? Is he crazy?

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/83516/surface-book-past-present-future-premium

Yeah this Thurrott Premium stuff is a fucking joke. How on earth he thinks his writing is worth 2/3 the cost of a Washington Post subscription is mindboggling. It's an insane amount of narcissism for him to think that his "insights" (entitled rants, mostly) are at all worth such a crazy-high price.

If it was a Patreon model of some sorts, maybe $1/month or something, that might be more reasonable. But when you're close to the cost of a national newspaper with real journalism backing it's time to step back and reconsider your self worth.

clav

What's disgusting is he's a sucker for CoD. How many articles did he write about that terrible franchise?

Also most of his free articles are just copy paste of official ones.

Who do you follow for news?

clav

Next upgrade is Build 1703 (March 2017).

Should be exciting and probably when Surface Phone reveals. Latest build is actually really smooth to use, so I'm confused about the complaints outside of lack of Google apps.

I can finally care now since I actually use a Windows Phone again.

Looks like no one here is left though.

Top Bottom