• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

The official Instagram app has probably got to the stage where it's better than 6tag.

Yeah, haven't used 6tag in ages. Also started using Twitters official app instead of third-party, even though it's annoying as hell that it doesn't remember where you were in your timeline when you restart it (always goes to top/latest tweet), well, it works with pretty much all pictures and videos without a problem. And Fenice didn't work with remembering timeline position half the time either anyway.

The official Instagram app has probably got to the stage where it's better than 6tag.

Pretty much, though I still keep 6tag because along the personal profile I also have one for my business.

Btw, just like the facebook app, the oficial ones are a trillion times better handling business accounts, the difference is even greater than for personal use.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just got back from my 15 days Europe trip. Took some brilliant pictures, 950 has ace camera man. All my friends with iPhone 6S, Galaxy 6S, Nexus 6P were surprised.

Looks like Amazon will pull their Windows store app: http://www.windowscentral.com/amazon-removing-its-kindle-pc-app-windows-store-october-27

It's one of the few apps I use on my desktop PC. and it's actually the only way I read Kindle books.

Can't say I like the trajectory of the Useless Windows Platform.

That's right. While many businesses are moving towards Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform for both security and higher visibility, Amazon would rather go back to a traditional Win32 Desktop app complete with an .exe installer.

Let's rock it like it's 2005.

This attitude is why I can't stand Daniel Rubino.

Yeah he's been throwing a fit about it on Twitter as well...

It sucks, but he decision isn't made because "fuck em", it's made cause they don't have the users on the app that they feel makes it worth it to continue development.

maeh2k

You read kindle books on your desktop?

Yes. I mostly read non-fiction ranging from programming to design and other product development books. I usually have the book on one display and use my other display to take notes in OneNote. Makes reading a bit more of a hassle than I'd like it to be, but I love having the notes, excerpts, screenshots.

JaggedSac

Yes. I mostly read non-fiction ranging from programming to design and other product development books. I usually have the book on one display and use my other display to take notes in OneNote. Makes reading a bit more of a hassle than I'd like it to be, but I love having the notes, excerpts, screenshots.

I see, that makes sense.

nillapuddin

guys

my 950 is stuck on

and no matter what I do I cant get it to update, what should I do, its really freaking frustrating.

Caayn

Nope, never was. Like it does not have access to the microphone or something, at least that is was reviews are suggesting. The search animation with the logo lags horribly so I have to think something is wrong there.
Does the app have permission to use the microphone?

Settings -> privacy -> Microphone

derFeef

The Cortana song detector not working for you?

I have that lady turned off ;)
Also Shazam has some nice Spotify connect and stuff...
but it seems like there are work arounds, likle hiding the virtual buttons, or locking your phone and switch back to the app... but none of that worked for me yet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Listened to the latest Windows Central Podcast and they had a good interview with one of the guys from HP who is behind the Elite X3. If I had unlimited money I would definitely like to try the device.

Gotta love these Pixel phone reviews.

"It's plain, dull, boring, and familiar. It's the best Android phone ever."

Huh?
Not that hard to understand. Design wise it is uninspiring and it doesn't bring any features new to the table in the smartphone market, but it's still a fantastic phone and the best that Android has to offer.

The Verge Google Pixel review discusses digital assistants and doesn't mention Cortana. Ouch.

Cortana gets hardly mentioned anywhere, which is a shame, because I really like it. It's so much more useful for me than Google Now, when it comes to all the predictive stuff. The Notebook is a really great feature.

It's a shame that the Android version is still US only and the general availability sucks. I still don't know if it's available in the EFIGS states or not.

I also never use it, other than for getting the headlines in the morning. There's just no need and the speech recognition, while really good, isn't perfect. It doesn't help that it has no big OS-wide hooks into Android. I can't use it to start a song on Spotify and there's no voice activation.

The best thing it does is relaying the phone notifications to my desktop and Surface. Some of them are even actionable, which made me uninstall Pushbullet for good. I just wish it was able to pick up calls, too. Maybe even automagically convert it into a Skype audio call (without the shitty landline fees, because seriously).

Gotta love these Pixel phone reviews.

"It's plain, dull, boring, and familiar. It's the best Android phone ever."

Huh?

"It's an iPhone, but runs Google's Android on it and that very well."

While that's great, I hope the Michelin Traveler app is coming back to the Windows Phone platform.

dLMN8R

Because tech reporters who are in the small minority of people who use Macs instead of Windows don't bother to remember that literally hundreds of millions of people now have access to Cortana through Windows 10.

It's just another classic case of the silicon valley bubble directly affecting tech press coverage.

clav

The personal assistant who pushes text messages to my win 10 machines from my android phone and works on all major platforms.

My response was a joke.

I had it installed on Android, but it's very slow.

How does message pushing work on Windows Phone? It doesn't seem to work automatically.

edit: I guess I need to install MS Phone Companion?

derFeef

The Verge Google Pixel review discusses digital assistants and doesn't mention Cortana. Ouch.

Giantbomb podcast talked about music streaming services and "what is there". No mention of Groove. Mind you I am using Spotify because I always did and my operator does not account for spotify data via LTE, which is pretty great.

But yeah..

Cortana gets hardly mentioned anywhere, which is a shame, because I really like it. It's so much more useful for me than Google Now, when it comes to all the predictive stuff. The Notebook is a really great feature.

It's a shame that the Android version is still US only and the general availability sucks. I still don't know if it's available in the EFIGS states or not.

I also never use it, other than for getting the headlines in the morning. There's just no need and the speech recognition, while really good, isn't perfect. It doesn't help that it has no big OS-wide hooks into Android. I can't use it to start a song on Spotify and there's no voice activation.

The best thing it does is relaying the phone notifications to my desktop and Surface. Some of them are even actionable, which made me uninstall Pushbullet for good. I just wish it was able to pick up calls, too. Maybe even automagically convert it into a Skype audio call (without the shitty landline fees, because seriously).
Obviously, it's an important thing that Cortana is available for as many platforms as possible, but yeah it doesn't have nearly the integration with the OS that it does on Windows (which isn't a surprise), so it's not nearly as useful. One of the things I'm missing now.

Because of that, I'd also bet that half (or all lol) of the Verge staff isn't even aware of the Cortana native experience on WP and that it's probably the best assistant experience out there.
How does message pushing work on Windows Phone? It doesn't seem to work automatically.

edit: I guess I need to install MS Phone Companion?

I think it's all in Cortana settings to enable it.

Giantbomb podcast talked about music streaming services and "what is there". No mention of Groove. Mind you I am using Spotify because I always did and my operator does not account for spotify data via LTE, which is pretty great.

But yeah..
Yeah, Groove doesn't have much awareness in my experience.

Because tech reporters who are in the small minority of people who use Macs instead of Windows don't bother to remember that literally hundreds of millions of people now have access to Cortana through Windows 10.

It's just another classic case of the silicon valley bubble directly affecting tech press coverage.

I feel like we've been through this a couple of times and I agree with you. But those are the people who report about the product on the internet, not the users. They also happen to focus on the consumer aspect of these things, not the enterprise side, which seems more important to Microsoft. Why is it that the Echo, with its 3 million units, managed to wow these small-minded iOS fanboys in their tiny silicon valley bubble (after a tepid launch), but something as huge as Cortana couldn't keep their interest, past the initial launch? Meanwhile I keep hearing how Alexa is becoming the center for smart homes (a market as niche as Windows Phone), while Thurrott and Sams whine about how a standalone Cortana device would make sense ("wahh, wahh Microsoft needs to stop with the me-too crap, but wouldn't it be great if they'd do this, too?")

What's more interesting is how many people actually use the Cortana aspect of Cortana? I get that a ton of people use it, because it's the build-in search for Windows 10. But how many of the 133 million MAUs use the A.I. part to look something up, check some facts, set alarms and reminders? "Asking questions" could mean anything, when it acts as search in the start menu, as far as I'm concerned.

With Windows Phone dead and buried, I'm really not seeing Cortana catching on in any meaningful way (= consumer space). Again, the Android version is still only available in the US for whatever reason and just doesn't seem as good. For example, when I ask for my current location, it opens an in-app browser window with a bing search. The "directions" button then redirects me to the browser version of Google Maps. That is just bad. I can't even use Cortana, unless I open the app. No "hey, Cortana" or long-press of the home button as a shortcut. While these limitations might not be their fault, it's still a problem for the user, which in return is a problem for them.

The iOS version is US-only as well, but that one might as well not exist, because the functionality is even more limited (though it wouldn't surprise me if the things that work are better on iOS than Android).

You'll never let me forget that, lol. I think about it every time I post about an app too.

I'm sorry. I just love it as a running-gag, even after all those years.

But yeah..

Groove does not exist, as far as the regular consumer is concerned. And why would it? It only existed on Windows Phone, which is dead, and the iOS and Android clients were total and utter gutter trash until recently (no scrubber for music). I keep launching the app on my PC every now and then and I have to admit that it's shaping up nicely. If they keep improving it at that pace, they might reach the old Zune desktop client by 2020. Groove has basically no presence anywhere. There's no Groove ecosystem with support from 3rd parties. It got Sonos support a year ago, but who knows how long it's going to last. Same (or worse) goes for Movies & TV. No support for your bought or rented movies anywhere, Xbox aside.

Vyer

I wouldn't be surprised if the MS Account tie for Cortana on Windows doesn't hinder a decent chunk of exposure to desktop users.

JaggedSac

I never use any of these digital assistants. Well, I guess that isn't true, I set reminders using Cortana. Rarely with speech though. These digital assistants just aren't anywhere near good enough to be useful for anything other than the most basic of things. Chat bots are a complete waste of time too. Strange that both MS and Google are getting into those.

ElNino

Anyone who has installed Cortana on Android, can you get it/her to read SMS messages over Bluetooth like you can on WP? I REALLY miss that function on the OP3 I've been playing with lately as only one of my cars has built in SMS functionality, and even that is only reading them and I can't respond.

While I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll go back to the 950XL as my daily driver, there are still things that I took for granted on WP that I assumed the others did as well (considering they are SO much better and all...). I will however, take my 950XL with me on our trip down to the US this weekend for a football game that I'm taking my son to. The OP3 is a decent phone, but I can't really trust it to take decent photos so I'll swap for the 950XL for the game at least.

kazinova

All this positive Pixel talk has made my next post-WP smartphone move real confusing. I'm torn between snagging a Pixel XL, iPhone 7 Plus or trying to limp along on this garbage-ass Nexus 5X (I can't tell if I hate this phone, or hate Android itself) until Panos tells me to finally give up in the spring.

Anyone who has installed Cortana on Android, can you get it/her to read SMS messages over Bluetooth like you can on WP? I REALLY miss that function on the OP3 I've been playing with lately as only one of my cars has built in SMS functionality, and even that is only reading them and I can't respond.

While I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll go back to the 950XL as my daily driver, there are still things that I took for granted on WP that I assumed the others did as well (considering they are SO much better and all...). I will however, take my 950XL with me on our trip down to the US this weekend for a football game that I'm taking my son to. The OP3 is a decent phone, but I can't really trust it to take decent photos so I'll swap for the 950XL for the game at least.
I couldn't last I tried Android. The Cortana in car experience is better than Android and iOS, unless you have a car with Android or Carplay. That's what's keeping me hang on to my 950XL.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All this positive Pixel talk has made my next post-WP smartphone move real confusing. I'm torn between snagging a Pixel XL, iPhone 7 Plus or trying to limp along on this garbage-ass Nexus 5X (I can't tell if I hate this phone, or hate Android itself) until Panos tells me to finally give up in the spring.

Next year will have 10th anniversary iPhone, surface phone, Galaxy s8 (revenge of Samsung edition), and a second gen pixel phone that'll actually be worth the high cost.

I bought an Axon 7 for $399 and I'll ride with that until the big boys arrive next year. It's a skip year for phones this year if there ever was such a thing. And this Axon is surprisingly capable.

Next year will have 10th anniversary iPhone, surface phone, Galaxy s8 (revenge of Samsung edition), and a second gen pixel phone that'll actually be worth the high cost.

I bought an Axon 7 for $399 and I'll ride with that until the big boys arrive next year. It's a skip year for phones this year if there ever was such a thing. And this Axon is surprisingly capable.
Axon mini is available for preorder for $299. 600 series snapdragon but still has dual front firing stereo speakers and a more manageable 5" screen size.

http://us.lemall.com/us/phone/leeco_le_pro3/index.html
Le Eco Le Pro 3 is only $299 too with flagship specs. Damn, I may bite but only the gold is available.

Top Bottom