• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Who said?

Also they showed an Elite X3 on stage. Something I guess.
Yeah, Surface Phone was never a debate for this event. It's always been rumored for the upcoming hardware refresh in Spring. Hell, the rumor started with Redstone 2 being delayed to Spring 2017, because they wanted to align it with the next hardware launch. It feels like we've known about this way before Redstone 1 was released.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They asked about the Surface phone but no comment

This is what Mary Jo tweeted

@SteveW40b they won't comment on this at all. we've tried. my sources say maybe late 17 or some time in 18 (or maybe never)

:(

Doffen

They asked about the Surface phone but no comment

This is what Mary Jo tweeted

@SteveW40b they won't comment on this at all. we've tried. my sources say maybe late 17 or some time in 18 (or maybe never)

:(

kG08eMv.gif

Sounds like they aren't even working on it at this point. Unless I am mistaken it was originally supposed to be Spring 2017 and then MJF said late 2017 and now it is 2018 or maybe never.

clav

Sounds like Creators Update has nothing on Windows Phone outside of 3D scanning + paint.

Late 2017 is probably the earliest now.

Then again, Scorpio is due next year, so 2018 seems even more likely.

Just keeps pushing back.

Maybe MS wants to keep the trend of refreshing Surface + phone together at the very least.

BeforeU

I don't understand why they wouldn't make a Surface Phone. I just DON'T understand.

People seriously think they are okay to put in hundreds of million in R&D to build a device like Surface Studio, which will realistically wouldn't sell more than couple of million. But when it comes to phone, they wouldn't build one? Even though Windows Phone market is pretty much dead, I can easily see more Surface phone being sold compare to Surface Book or Surface Studio. Almost the double if they do AT&T, Verizon deals.

Microsoft's philosophy lately has been the same, "We have to create our own hardware to showcase what our software can do"

I just can not digest the idea of they not giving this a shot. Surface Phone HAS to happen. From everything I have seen from MS lately. I don't find a logical explanation of why it wouldn't.

I don't understand why they wouldn't make a Surface Phone. I just DON'T understand.

People seriously think they are okay to put in hundreds of million in R&D to build a device like Surface Studio, which will realistically wouldn't sell more than couple of million. But when it comes to phone, they wouldn't build one? Even though Windows Phone market is pretty much dead, I can easily see more Surface phone being sold compare to Surface Book or Surface Studio. Almost the double if they do AT&T, Verizon deals.

Microsoft's philosophy lately has been the same, "We have to create our own hardware to showcase what our software can do"

I just can not digest the idea of they not giving this a shot. Surface Phone HAS to happen. From everything I have seen from MS lately. I don't find a logical explanation of why it wouldn't.
I think Intel dropping mobile threw a wrench in their Surface Phone plans. A Continuum enabled x86 phone would have got some people's attention. x86 emulation on Arm just isn't ready either.

Shame MS didn't keep the camera team around. Would have been nice if they included superior cameras in Surface refreshes.

Totakeke

Why did I visit verge again

Yesterday during the Windows event Walt Mossberg comes out with an article that the thrill of new PCs are dead, they're boring, i.e. no need to pay any attention. The title of the article was actually renamed to be less negative that it originally was.

Today during the Apple event, Vlad comes up with an article that Apple's new MBP is expertly timed, and how even with good timing it's nothing with perfect execution by Apple.

I'm not even going to link those articles to give them clicks. I need to get myself banned from ever visiting that website again.

Lazaro

Yesterday during the Windows event Walt Mossberg comes out with an article that the thrill of new PCs are dead, they're boring, i.e. no need to pay any attention. The title of the article was actually renamed to be less negative that it originally was.

Today during the Apple event, Vlad comes up with an article that Apple's new MBP is expertly timed, and how even with good timing it's nothing with perfect execution by Apple.

I'm not even going to link those articles to give them clicks. I need to get myself banned from ever visiting that website again.

This type of shit used to be so low-key in tech media.

Anyway you should know better, lol.

dLMN8R

Thurott is charging $64 per year to read articles on his website? Is he crazy?

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/83516/surface-book-past-present-future-premium

Yeah this Thurrott Premium stuff is a fucking joke. How on earth he thinks his writing is worth 2/3 the cost of a Washington Post subscription is mindboggling. It's an insane amount of narcissism for him to think that his "insights" (entitled rants, mostly) are at all worth such a crazy-high price.

If it was a Patreon model of some sorts, maybe $1/month or something, that might be more reasonable. But when you're close to the cost of a national newspaper with real journalism backing it's time to step back and reconsider your self worth.

Wow, Paul gets really sensitive when you even make the most mild of jokes about this to him:

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/791669805610770432

Nearly everything he's posted about the Surface Studio event in the last day has been Premium. Does he really think his content is that much more valuable than everyone else's analysis?

hwalker84

Because maybe they can see Windows Mobile 10 still isn't where it needs to be for Surface Phone to truly make a mark.

Wow, Paul gets really sensitive when you even make the most mild of jokes about this to him:

Nearly everything he's posted about the Surface Studio event in the last day has been Premium. Does he really think his content is that much more valuable than everyone else's analysis?
The joke was pretty solid haha

If they have the users that they can do that and enough people will pay for it, that's fine for them (I won't be one of them). Him being salty about that joke is kinda sad though.

I'm much more interested in Brad's takes than Paul's personally.

NeOak

lol Vlad wants to work at Apple like that other guy

You guys are so mean.

If Paul thinks his articles are worth as much as he's charging, then more power to him and good luck. I'd never pay that much and still get enough of his entertaining nonsense on Twit. Brad is a cool guy, but his Sams Report is enough, too. Point is, I don't think both are as important as they think they are. But at least took a huge bet, are trying to build something and they're not Daniel Rubino. Fuck that guy.

And Apple events are the biggest cash cows for media blogs (Nilay Patel admitted that) . That's why they're sucking it all up and if they're too critical, they won't get access to more media events, hence less money. It's not some weird conspiracy theory. It's your fault, if you keep visiting that shitty blog.

The thing is, Mossberg aside, I'm sure MJ, Brad and Paul all have a tighter relationship with the people at Microsoft than the bloggers at the Verge have with Apple folks and I don't see you guys mocking and lambasting them over that.

hadareud

The Translator
Probably because they are not sucking Microsoft's balls for that access.

If Apple can control the media to that extent (be mean and we won't let you have any access) it's as much the media's fault as it is theirs. Only because what you say is true doesn't make it ok.

Probably because they are not sucking Microsoft's balls for that access.

If Apple can control the media to that extent (be mean and we won't let you have any access) it's as much the media's fault as it is theirs. Only because what you say is true doesn't make it ok.

But in the end, they do suck it up. Perhaps they're not realizing it and doing it on purpose, but at times it feels like they're very apologetic.
Everything is amazing and great, until it's not. And then they knew it all along.

I still have to think about Paul during the Xbox One launch timeframe.

"Yeah, these people don't care about the price. They're early adopters. $100 difference means nothing."
"Yeah, the Xbox is a little bit weaker than the PS4, but does it really matter? The games look amazing."

"I have no idea how the PS4 surpassed the Xbox like that, but it did."

These obviously aren't direct quotes, but you get what I'm saying.

You're right that they call out obvious bullshit as it is, but they're not very critical journalists.

Of course, this could be different by now. But how would I know? I'm not paying that Thurrott Premium.

dLMN8R

I'm not really serious about the above, I'm just amused at his sensitivity and complete lack of self-awareness.

Sure if he's successful with premium, good on him for finding a worthy business model. I just think he's severely overestimating the worth of his articles, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have no problem paying individuals for stuff they do. I back a bunch of people on Patreon for between $1 and $5/month depending on the person and what they do. I think Paul could be more successful in a Patreon model instead of a strict single (high) price.

For example, Tom Merritt at Daily Tech News Show and his many co-hosts puts out 5 hours of video/audio recorded shows of thoughtful analysis every single week, and I think that's worth a contribution to enable him to continue. We Have Concerns puts out 3 episodes a week of their incredibly funny podcast that's unlike anything else on the web.

Maybe others think about Thurrott like I do about those Patreon people, and that's cool. I guess I just like supporting people more who aren't snarky and sometimes overly-sensitive defensive jerks.

hadareud

The Translator
But in the end, they do suck it up. Perhaps they're not realizing it and doing it on purpose, but at times it feels like they're very apologetic.
Everything is amazing and great, until it's not. And then they knew it all along.

"Yeah, these people don't care about the price. They're early adopters. $100 difference means nothing."
"Yeah, the Xbox is a little bit weaker than the PS4, but does it really matter? The games look amazing."

You're right that they call out obvious bullshit as it is, but they're not very critical journalists.

Of course, this could be different by now. But how would I know? I'm not paying that Thurrott Premium.

I agree with you on their bias and that they have close access, very likely much closer than the Verge etc. have to Apple.

At the end, it comes down to whether they let themselves be controlled as easily by Microsoft as some of the media let themselves be controlled by Apple. The evidence (ie negative articles and utterances vs. cock-sucking) would suggest that the answer to that is no. That's not to say that Microsoft don't know how to use them as tools by leaking certain information and by keeping them close, but that's not the same as practically outright blackmailing them ("the majority of your income is us and if you don't play nice we'll fuck you over" or actions to that effect).

But I'm not kidding myself into thinking that we can expect tech journalists and the tech media be unbiased or investigative, either. There's other media outlets for that (for now).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought he's been pretty good lately, even in the latest episode. What did you take issue with?

Bugged me when he got hung up on the VR support for the Creators update. It seemed like he thought it was required, which was odd. He is also easily dismissive of things.

Your right though, overall he hadn't been too bad of late.

BeforeU

Ya the joke was spot on, him getting defensive was hilarious.

Because maybe they can see Windows Mobile 10 still isn't where it needs to be for Surface Phone to truly make a mark.

Good point, I am not sure when or IF they will ever show what are the next big features in W10M. I thought Readstone 2 was going to have lot of things for W10M but they certainly didn't say a word during this week's event.

The joke was pretty solid haha

If they have the users that they can do that and enough people will pay for it, that's fine for them (I won't be one of them). Him being salty about that joke is kinda sad though.

I'm much more interested in Brad's takes than Paul's personally.

Yup, I like brad a lot better.

I saw Nilay's first look of new MacBook Pro. The entire video was praising the product. There was only one negative thing he had to say. Which was the Apple logo not glowing. And even that one criticism he had, appeared when the video was over and it went to that ending transition.

It was so bizarre. These guys are not even trying to hide their bias anymore

BeforeU

You guys are so mean.

If Paul thinks his articles are worth as much as he's charging, then more power to him and good luck. I'd never pay that much and still get enough of his entertaining nonsense on Twit. Brad is a cool guy, but his Sams Report is enough, too. Point is, I don't think both are as important as they think they are. But at least took a huge bet, are trying to build something and they're not Daniel Rubino. Fuck that guy.

And Apple events are the biggest cash cows for media blogs (Nilay Patel admitted that) . That's why they're sucking it all up and if they're too critical, they won't get access to more media events, hence less money. It's not some weird conspiracy theory. It's your fault, if you keep visiting that shitty blog.

The thing is, Mossberg aside, I'm sure MJ, Brad and Paul all have a tighter relationship with the people at Microsoft than the bloggers at the Verge have with Apple folks and I don't see you guys mocking and lambasting them over that.

Mary Jo, Paul and Brad even though they are bias they certainly don't suck up to MS all that much. If you listen to Windows Weekly you would know at times how much criticism and frustration they show for MS products.

And the thing is, These are Windows journalist. So you expect them to be slightly biased, specially Mary Jo and Brad. That's all they cover exclusively. But when site like Verge, who are big tech blog. And claims to be unbiased. Its very shameful.

Paul has been very ignorant about Xbox/PS4 console situations. No doubt, but you are hand picking few things now, what you quoted are not even fraction of the negative things he says about MS products and company as whole.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This has to be one of the more unique communities on gaf in that it's not even about the phones anymore, most of us have already moved on. We just like hanging out with each other.

BeforeU

This has to be one of the more unique communities on gaf in that it's not even about the phones anymore, most of us have already moved on. We just like hanging out with each other.

lol I know, I just have this thread bookmarked. Which I regularly check.

Well, since I'm sticking to 8.1 for now, and the last update was in 2014, I'm still stuck with suddenly awful email rendering. Did this happen to anyone else? Look at this crap! A shame too because the 8.1 default Email app was actually surprisingly decent (and much better than that Word renderer trash on 10). No responsive design at all is terrible for mostly all emails I want to read.

Top Bottom