• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

frontieruk

he's american in his heart. We all are. Because otherwise microsoft doesn't deliver products or features to your country.

Brot stopped being American at heart at the death of the gutter, he remains here due to the fact he still hopes there will be another phone interface with clean design principles.

Paganmoon

he's american in his heart. We all are. Because otherwise microsoft doesn't deliver products or features to your country.

Does that mean WP users can vote in the US election?

Brot stopped being American at heart at the death of the gutter, he remains here due to the fact he still hopes there will be another phone interface with clean design principles.

Someone please explain to me one damned use the gutter had.

Paganmoon

Didn't the gutter provide a subtle visual cue that there was content in that direction without needing an arrow? I liked it.

it had an arrow still. There's nothing redeeming about it, And if Brot thought that was good design, remind me to never use anything Brot has designed :)

Doffen

Wow, Paul gets really sensitive when you even make the most mild of jokes about this to him:

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/791669805610770432

Nearly everything he's posted about the Surface Studio event in the last day has been Premium. Does he really think his content is that much more valuable than everyone else's analysis?

I keep forgetting that he blocked me. What did the tweet say?

8BU6rak.png

shingi70

Banned
Wow, Paul gets really sensitive when you even make the most mild of jokes about this to him:

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/791669805610770432

Nearly everything he's posted about the Surface Studio event in the last day has been Premium. Does he really think his content is that much more valuable than everyone else's analysis?

Funny thing is you can get the cliff notes of his analysis on one his free weekly podcasts.

Frost_Ace

How the hell do you post gifs on Telegram? When I try to save one it saves it as an mp4, and when I post it, it's seen as a file by others.

clav

That's been rumored for quite a while now.

Doesn't solve the app problem.

Edge for x86/x64 and mobile score differently in html5 standards.

member how the pixel had the partial glass pack plate?

CwMLprtWEAAP6gE.jpg

man, i read about the stylish Nextbit Robin and how they set up to make a stylish plastic phone but they ended up making the plastic thin and it ultimately failed numerous bend test and warps as well. the Robin made me really miss Nokia phones. i remember running over my 920 accidentally and the phone, behind a silicone case and glass protector, was perfectly fine, incredible! i think the smartphone world will truly miss Nokia once it's all said and done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hear the pixel phone is slippery too so it doesn't make sense to use it without a case anyway. In terms of Nokia and their use of plastic it was absolutely a great feeling plastic and very thick and very rugged they knew how to get it done, made plastic feel premium without affecting reception and all those other things.

clav

Premium is used in a weird way. I guess hospitals don't use premium materials according to tech marketing reps. Too much plastic. Go back to glass.

Until we see carbon fiber smartphone handsets, the word doesn't mean anything.

kharma45

I hear the pixel phone is slippery too so it doesn't make sense to use it without a case anyway. In terms of Nokia and their use of plastic it was absolutely a great feeling plastic and very thick and very rugged they knew how to get it done, made plastic feel premium without affecting reception and all those other things.

Still think everyone who made out that the 920 was too heavy was an idiot.

Well, the 920 was too heavy. The 1020 was perfect besides the giant hump.

Edit: I remember 920 bend tests where the dudes fingers would hurt trying to bend that glorious brick of a phone.

Premium is used in a weird way. I guess hospitals don't use premium materials according to tech marketing reps. Too much plastic. Go back to glass.

Until we see carbon fiber smartphone handsets, the word doesn't mean anything.

From what I understand, Premium in the phone context means "like an iPhone."

clav

It was rumored to be after the Alcatel Idol was released.

Not funny.

Alcatel Idol 4 is an exclusive handset sold at Cricket in the USA and bundles a VR headset. The 4S is a more powerful version (better than the SD 617 processor).

There were rumors about the W10 version months before: https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/710256965679763457

IIRC one of the Droids used Carbon Fiber. one used Kevlar too.

Pics?

From what I understand, Premium in the phone context means "like an iPhone."

According to whom? That doesn't make any sense. Premium is high quality.

clav

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...priorities-vr-headsets-surface-hardware-goals

Anyone read MJF's interview with Terry Myerson?

She asks some hardball questions. You can see how Myerson dodges responsibility about anniversary update problems by saying MS is learning how to handle updates better.

As for relevance, here's the part on mobile:

MJF: I realize this year was a year when Microsoft planned not to release any new Windows Phones itself. But the question I keep getting is why is Microsoft wasting time updating Windows Mobile when the market share is one percent? You don't have that many phone OEMs. Why not just say, you know, maybe we'll come back some day, but for now, let's just stop playing around with mobile.

MYERSON: Technically, there are really two things that are unique about Windows Mobile. One is cellular connectivity and the other one is the ARM processors that are there. And I think both cellular connectivity and ARM processors have a role in the technical landscape of the future.

So we're going to continue to invest in ARM and cellular. And while I'm not saying what type of device, I think we'll see devices there, Windows devices, that use ARM chips. I think we'll see devices that have cellular connectivity.

When you stop investing in these things, it's super hard, super, super hard to restart. And at Microsoft we have a few of those examples where we stopped. Sometimes, when you're investing into growth. it's easier, but when you're investing for technical strategy or things like that, sometimes people can question it -- like you're doing right now. But especially among your readers, I don't think there's much debate that ARM processors have a role in the future. And cellular connectivity does as well.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I like his answer on mobile, it goes along with what I have been saying. They wont kill Windoes 10 Mobile.

clav

I like his answer on mobile, it goes along with what I have been saying. They wont kill Windoes 10 Mobile.

It's kind of a non-answer though.

He deliberately says ARM and cellular even though they cover the same bases.

ARM covers Raspberry Pi and Andruino devices that a lot of hobbyists use. They are getting updated stable builds, so they are "supported".

Cellular is Windows Mobile, which also runs on ARM hardware, so they can't really kill it since they support the above statement.

From this year's LinuxConvention:

Microsoft also uses Linux internally now; many of Microsoft’s services in Azure run on Linux. Developers work out of public Github trees to better collaborate with each other and the outside world, Coekaerts said. And, perhaps most telling, the company’s engineers now have the freedom to build new products and services using whichever operating system works best for their purposes.

“There’s no longer a (rule): “It has to be on Windows,” he [Wim Coekaerts] said. “It’s actually very exciting to see.”

What would be telling is will Microsoft say anything about Windows Phone in the next Surface refresh? If there's nothing, then it's over.

Stinkles on this forum who manages the Halo franchise uses an iPhone. Same with Larry Hyrb for the longest time. Julie-Larson Green, too.

Cloudy to see where Microsoft goes in the mobile space in terms of gaining users when their own employees don't really back the platform.

clav

I thought Frankie had a 950??

My iphone (6S) holds a charge fine, but sometimes dies in seconds depending on network/wifi/4g conditions. If I'm at a big conference, weird traffic and connection attempts seem to suck it dry. And while it can be obvious that one condition or another is hurting the battery drain - wifi on, for example, sometimes it's the opposite condition doing the harm.

Also Apple Carplay is flaky as hell. Get your shit together Apple.

Maybe he does have a 950.

We just know he definitely uses an iPhone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How is that surprising? I'd bet some of the biggest fans of the platform are on this thread. I LOVE the platform and I LOVED Nokia and the Lumia phones. But you can't ignore how much you have to give up, and for most of us, that app/functionality gap cannot be overcome by just love for the platform. At least not forever, and especially not when the trajectory (hardware, new apps, app updates) are all on the negative trajectory.

The CORE platform is improving, but the ecosystem is not, and Microsoft is not helping the situation, so it's increasingly non viable to general consumers. So I imagine it's the same for MS employees, it doesn't speak to their lack of love for the platform, or at least the IDEA behind it.

frontieruk

How is that surprising? I'd bet some of the biggest fans of the platform are on this thread. I LOVE the platform and I LOVED Nokia and the Lumia phones. But you can't ignore how much you have to give up, and for most of us, that app/functionality gap cannot be overcome by just love for the platform. At least not forever, and especially not when the trajectory (hardware, new apps, app updates) are all on the negative trajectory.

The CORE platform is improving, but the ecosystem is not, and Microsoft is not helping the situation, so it's increasingly non viable to general consumers. So I imagine it's the same for MS employees, it doesn't speak to their lack of love for the platform, or at least the IDEA behind it.

My iPhone is my favourite phone since my HTC 8X, feels so good in my hand. The difference? The HTC got used as a communications device due to a lack of apps, the iPhone because I really don't enjoy using the interface but it's stable.

kharma45

I'm really quite taken with my iPhone, but when it's free from work with unlimited everything it helps.

Camera is great on the 6S Plus, seems sturdy after surviving a fall from about 5 foot face down onto tiles, battery is strong and app quality is top tier.

Back to having a 735 as my personal phone after my G4 shit the bed. It's held up fairly well for a two year old budget-ish device.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Maybe he does have a 950.

We just know he definitely uses an iPhone.

I have both! Only one works with Carplay though! Actually my 950XL is my word processor right now for a short story, attached to my TV. It's complicated.

I do not however have an Android phone. Closest is my Galaxy Tab.

ty_hot

Anyone else having problems with Edge? If I open any "not light" webpage (meaning: Have a few photos and stuff) it starts to refresh the page,then after two or three refreshes it says the page is not working well then I cant open it again (unless I open a new tab,but the problem will persist)... I cleared the cache and nothing. This is annoying. I can only open neogaf without pictures, all other sites can be used. Seriously, there is a blog I read, its one picture and some text, and Edge cant open it properly.

Woorloog

Banned
You've gotta be fucking kidding me, i can't save contacts to SIM? (Lumia 630)

No, it doesn't matter they're in my Live profile, because i'm moving to an Android phone. So, how the fuck do i move my contacts?

Do i really need to save them elsewhere and type them one by one to the new phone?

No, it doesn't matter they're in my Live profile, because i'm moving to an Android phone. So, how the fuck do i move my contacts?

Do i really need to save them elsewhere and type them one by one to the new phone?

can you do that on any phone OS nowadays?

Just add your Live account to your Android phone, should be able to pull them over.

Top Bottom