• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Outlook update seems to have been pushed to release preview (or live?), now you can delete e-mails straight from the notification. awesome! (not so awesome if someone gets a hold of my phone and deletes them, but awesome otherwise)

clav

Outlook update seems to have been pushed to release preview (or live?), now you can delete e-mails straight from the notification. awesome! (not so awesome if someone gets a hold of my phone and deletes them, but awesome otherwise)

What's cool to see is both desktop + mobile versions get updates at the same time.

I have both! Only one works with Carplay though! Actually my 950XL is my word processor right now for a short story, attached to my TV. It's complicated.

I do not however have an Android phone. Closest is my Galaxy Tab.

Ah. So you use your 950 as a smart TV device.

Totakeke

Who's ready to believe that Windows Phone would have had a better chance if not for the Microsoft Board and Bill Gates hindering Ballmer?

Steve Ballmer said his decision to push Microsoft Corp. into the hardware business contributed to the breakdown of his relationship with longtime friend and company co-founder Bill Gates. Ballmer's only regret: not doing it sooner.

Ballmer, who was chief executive officer of Microsoft for 14 years, told Bloomberg Television that if he could do it all again, he would have entered the mobile device market years earlier. When he finally did, Gates and other members of the board disagreed, he said.

"There was a fundamental disagreement about how important it was to be in the hardware business," Ballmer said. "I had pushed Surface. The board had been a little -- little reluctant in supporting it. And then things came to a climax around what to do about the phone business."

Ballmer said the mistake was getting into handsets and tablets too late.

"I would have moved into the hardware business faster and recognized that what we had in the PC, where there was a separation of chips, systems and software, wasn't largely gonna reproduce itself in the mobile world," he said.

What about that famous quote where Ballmer said Apple Inc.'s iPhone would never sell because it cost too much? He now wishes he'd realized how Apple was going to make it work -- through mobile carrier subsidies.

"I wish I'd thought about the model of subsidizing phones through the operators," he said. "You know, people like to point to this quote where I said iPhones will never sell, because the price at $600 or $700 was too high. And there was business model innovation by Apple to get it essentially built into the monthly cell phone bill."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...phones-broke-his-relationship-with-bill-gates

maeh2k

The mistake wasn't waiting to get into hardware, but holding on to Windows Mobile 6 too long and letting Google get a head start. Google doesn't have almost 90% market share because the went into hardware early.

Surface Pro makes a nice appearance in the new Dr Strange movie. He's a man who has the finest of material possessions and uses a Surface. He even slams it on the floor then later picks it up and uses it again. Maybe the masses will actually crave for a Surface Phone in the not so distant future.

n64coder

"Microsoft browsers have lost over 330 million users this year alone" (source)

Pretty brutal. Google is hard to compete with.

I was working on my wife's computer and she uses Edge as her default browser. I was surprised how responsive it was. Did run into an issue with Gmail 2FA settings as apparently an icon for editing your 2FA method doesn't show up in Edge.

I tried using Edge at work/home but it seems to have trouble with neogaf, on the desktop that is. On the phone, I don't seem to have any issues.

Paganmoon

I was working on my wife's computer and she uses Edge as her default browser. I was surprised how responsive it was. Did run into an issue with Gmail 2FA settings as apparently an icon for editing your 2FA method doesn't show up in Edge.

I tried using Edge at work/home but it seems to have trouble with neogaf, on the desktop that is. On the phone, I don't seem to have any issues.

Been using Edge as my default browser both at work and at home since last year, not had any major problems (at least the last 6 months or more that I recall) with neogaf.

Actually only real issues I've had are with our CRM-system (Microsoft Dynamics funnily enough), but mostly with extended script implementations from the devs.

There's some niggles here and there, but MS apparently keeps updating it (or sites are updating themselves) because a lot of them end up phasing away. I keep coming back to it, I really like the UI and it is slick and responsive. Once all my sites just work on it, it's probably what I'll use instead of Chrome.

n64coder

The biggest issue I have with Edge is copy/pasting of the URL. When copying the URL, it hangs the browser for a long time. Does anyone else have this issue?

Surface Pro makes a nice appearance in the new Dr Strange movie. He's a man who has the finest of material possessions and uses a Surface. He even slams it on the floor then later picks it up and uses it again. Maybe the masses will actually crave for a Surface Phone in the not so distant future.

There is no possible outcome where a Surface Phone, based solely on Windows 10 Mobile, is a success in the current market or even not so distant future.

That's not even a debate, as Panos would say.

I still have not heard one single good argument, how a Surface Phone would change anything. People get hung up on "x86!" for whatever reason, but we're way past that point where that actually matters.

kazinova

There is no possible outcome where a Surface Phone, based solely on Windows 10 Mobile, is a success in the current market or even not so distant future.

That's not even a debate, as Panos would say.

I still have not heard one single good argument, how a Surface Phone would change anything. People get hung up on "x86!" for whatever reason, but we're way past that point where that actually matters.

Whatever Panos tells us matters is why it will matter. /s

Wait, no, undo the /s, take me to Surface church, Panos! <3

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Edge works OK, until it doesn't because you have one website or script that doesn't run well and you have to use a backup browser.

But that's the same problem with Windows phone, it covers the basics and works well until that one app/service you need isn't supported.

And in the world we are living in, with great alternatives (chrome, Firefox, Android, iOS)..... Why would the average consumer bother with Edge or windows phone?

I use Edge because it actually does cover everything I need it to do, lol. Ditto Windows Phone.

All I really need to do on my phone is browse the web (GAF, shuttle tracker), get directions, and read books.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I use Edge because it actually does cover everything I need it to do, lol. Ditto Windows Phone.

All I really need to do on my phone is browse the web (GAF, shuttle tracker), get directions, and read books.

Pretty similar for me too. Does what I need it to do and has a UI i like.

Milchjon

As I'm browsing for a new phone, I have a really hard time accepting the idiotic aspect ratio on their cameras...

I don't want 4:3!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Speaking of phone cameras, I'm looking back at old Facebook photos taken with my 1020 and 930.....damn Nokia/Lumia was so far ahead of everyone else in imaging. I still don't think iPhone cameras match it.

Speaking of phone cameras, I'm looking back at old Facebook photos taken with my 1020 and 930.....damn Nokia/Lumia was so far ahead of everyone else in imaging. I still don't think iPhone cameras match it.
I'm using an Honor 8 now and it's camera is comparable to the 920 which came out in 2012.

NeOak

You know your phone has turned into shit when the fucking Camera app does not want to save pictures. Even after a reboot.

FFS MS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How is the 950xl? My biggest problems with the regular one is bad battery life which I attribute to the terrible 808 processor. is the 810 any better?

Treo360

How is the 950xl? My biggest problems with the regular one is bad battery life which I attribute to the terrible 808 processor. is the 810 any better?

Love mine, lasts the whole day, between browsing, music, and Instagram. However when I first got it... Lawd, I thought I made a mistake.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
See you guys in two months. Can't handle this election season....

I hope you at least voted. On twitter it seemed like you were one of those Bernie or busters.

Some in that camp talked crap about Hillary, didn't campaign or contribute in any way, didn't vote or voted third party, then were shocked when she lost.

hwalker84

I hope you at least voted. On twitter it seemed like you were one of those Bernie or busters.

Some in that camp talked crap about Hillary, didn't campaign or contribute in any way, didn't vote or voted third party, then were shocked when she lost.

Wonder why he was banned.

Hey, WP-GAF... I think this might be the last time I'll be posting in this thread.

My Lumia 930 appears to have died while connected to my computer as I was trying to restore its original firmware after running into a really nasty bug in Windows 10 Anniversary Update where Outlook Mail and Calendar tiles just never update correctly.

Now, it just doesn't start at all, be it with a simple long-press on the power button, a much longer press to force a reset, and both doing it with the volume down key held down for a reset, and another with the camera key held down too for a hard reset. Neither does charging work on it, and WDRT no longer detects the phone even in manual mode.

Is the phone dead?

hadareud

The Translator
Sounds like the battery may have died.

As far as I know it should be relatively easy to replace, but you'll have to buy a new battery.

Sounds like the battery may have died.

As far as I know it should be relatively easy to replace, but you'll have to buy a new battery.

Hmm...

I'm considering moving on to Android smartphones now, and I guess this is a major push - since now I don't have a smartphone.

Oh well... I don't think it's worth my time to try to repair the phone at this point, not with the phone's age.

hadareud

The Translator
Depends how desperate you are for a new phone. I just looked and a replacement battery is cheap (saw it for less than 10 quid).

Depends how desperate you are for a new phone. I just looked and a replacement battery is cheap (saw it for less than 10 quid).

Hah, I suppose you might be right, but I'd never trust myself with opening up a smartphone ;) Being stuck on Windows phones is not something I want to do anymore.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Part of the MS logo came off on my 950XL :( , so I ordered a mozo case. Also I saw on Ebay that I can order replacement cover glass. Thinking of getting one since my screen is cracked, but the digitizer is fine. Hopefully it is doable to replace it.

hadareud

The Translator
I strongly suspect that replacing the glass is a major pain in the arse and requires both patience and someone who has a modicum of coordination.

I have neither.

Top Bottom