• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yeah, honestly pretty bummed about the Pebble thing, but maybe Fitbit will continue the product and add WP support?

A man can dream dammit!

WP is dead. Maybe they will add "Cellular PC" support though.

Man whatever gets me a better watch.
I love my Band 2, but the design isn't exactly sturdy, the battery life sucks, and it isn't waterproof. If MS were to just copy the Pebble design, I'd be happy.
They have Garmins, but I've tried a few and while they WOULD be perfect, I have to keep remembering I'm a red headed stepchild so I don't get support.

Paganmoon

¡HarlequinPanic!;226211202 said:
nice lil community y'all got here

Well, it usually is, little jaded, prone to outburst due to how the platform is being treated :)

Yeah, honestly pretty bummed about the Pebble thing, but maybe Fitbit will continue the product and add WP support?

A man can dream dammit!

Fitbit is supporting WP/W10M well I'd say, get regular updates on the app and when MS adds GATT Server APIs we'll also get full notification support. So yeah, there's a good chance that if Fitbit continues the Pebble brand/devices they'll have WP Support.

hadareud

The Translator
I think full W10 on ARM is brilliant news for us who are still hoping for a new phone from Microsoft.

The question is whether Windows is still big enough a draw for business to make it a game changer (game changer to an extent, of course) at this stage.

hadareud

The Translator
Another thing: they have to get it right first time this time around.

If it's a case of 1st generation ARM W10 devices being barely useable because the of performance like with RT, that's that. Performance has to be acceptable and on par with low cost Intel powered devices.

If they manage to do that, the low cost market segment might open up for them and there's also a chance that phones running Windows may find a viable niche, especially in business. Of course, we won't see any devices for almost another year I suspect and I don't expect the app gap to become any less dramatic during that time (the opposite), so who knows whether it isn't too late already to ever enter the mainstream again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If I can get full on desktop chrome, the app gap doesn't matter as much for businesses, productivity, and entertainment. Biggest issue would then be games and mobile only services like Snapchat.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The ARM demo they showed on stage was using the same chip set as the HP Elite X3 and looked to perform well. Should except good things with the 835 chip then.

Well, it usually is, little jaded, prone to outburst due to how the platform is being treated :)

Fitbit is supporting WP/W10M well I'd say, get regular updates on the app and when MS adds GATT Server APIs we'll also get full notification support. So yeah, there's a good chance that if Fitbit continues the Pebble brand/devices they'll have WP Support.
So what you're saying is its partially MS's fault we really only have the Band?

hadareud

The Translator
The ARM demo they showed on stage was using the same chip set as the HP Elite X3 and looked to perform well. Should except good things with the 835 chip then.

Yeah, it looks to be performing quite alright.

Considering they have quite a bit of time left for optimisation and that the chips that will actually be used will be more powerful than the one used for the demo things are looking quite promising.

Love how Thurrott is very excited by what's in store for Windows 10 Mobile by telling us to buy an Android phone or iPhone because Windows Phone is dead while also pointing out that a Surface Phone/Mobile is coming. Why would I need another phone if that's the case?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I got a bad news guys.

I just sold my 950 XL. I bought the extended warranty with it back in May. So the guy who bought it off me, paid the deductible and we replaced it with the new piece. And on top of that paid me $410. Which is not bad tbh. I bought it in buy one get one free deal and paid around $450 + $100 for extended warranty.

Anyways, I am jumping ship for some time. It feels so weird even typing this lol

Currently I am using my replacement L550. But looking for Pixel XL. Its just too damn expensive.

I have been with Windows Phone since the beginning.

Samsung Focus > Lumia 900 > Lumia 1520 > Lumia 550 > Lumia 950 XL

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of Android:

Pretty much exactly 2 years ago I bought a Moto E to see whether the low end on Android had improved and also to have something to play with. After being positively surprised originally, the device became essentially unusable after a while (despite multiple resets it incredibly slow, new apps are unstable or don't run on it at all and frankly, to sell a phone with 4GB storage is a bad joke, without an SD card you can install less than 10 apps on it). When you compare that to the far older Lumia 620 which is still going strong whenever I use it, it's quite amazing.

After 2 years I thought I'd try again. I ordered a Moto G which is reviewed very well. Let's see if things have changed. It's a much more powerful and expensive phone, so it's fair to expect good things with all the good tings that have been said about. Will post some initial impressions in a few days (I know you guys can barely wait). .

frontieruk

Speaking of Android:

Pretty much exactly 2 years ago I bought a Moto E to see whether the low end on Android had improved and also to have something to play with. After being positively surprised originally, the device became essentially unusable after a while (despite multiple resets it incredibly slow, new apps are unstable or don't run on it at all and frankly, to sell a phone with 4GB storage is a bad joke, without an SD card you can install less than 10 apps on it). When you compare that to the far older Lumia 620 which is still going strong whenever I use it, it's quite amazing.

After 2 years I thought I'd try again. I ordered a Moto G which is reviewed very well. Let's see if things have changed. It's a much more powerful and expensive phone, so it's fair to expect good things with all the good tings that have been said about. Will post some initial impressions in a few days (I know you guys can barely wait). .

My mum's Moto G gen 1 is still going strong admittedly she isn't a big app user... Not switched my Moto g4 on for a while but it was running nicely when I upgraded to the iPhone

Klocker

I went from a 640 Lumia to the Moto G 4th gen and it runs great.

It's going to get an update to 7. nougat in awhile so we will see how that holds up but I expected to be pretty smooth still

So, apparently Edge has a shortcut to go to the top of the page. It seems that if you drag up from the ... button, and then tap on the page it goes to the top. I need to play around with it more, but this makes my GAF'ing much more enjoyable haha.

n64coder

So, apparently Edge has a shortcut to go to the top of the page. It seems that if you drag up from the ... button, and then tap on the page it goes to the top. I need to play around with it more, but this makes my GAF'ing much more enjoyable haha.

Thanks for the tip. It works. It seems that you swipe the ... either up/down and then tap the page. Doesn't look like there's a way to get to the bottom of a page.

HOLYSHIT

Why they didn't ever told us that?

Edge Browser to Android! Do it Satya.

They should focus on making it more than "acceptable" on Windows first, before they start porting it to other platforms. Edge is a big reason why the Surface sucks as a tablet for me. I'd rather buy a new iPad for tablet use, because there's not even a silver lining on the horizon that Edge is going to get better anytime soon.

maeh2k

They should focus on making it more than "acceptable" on Windows first, before they start porting it to other platforms. Edge is a big reason why the Surface sucks as a tablet for me. I'd rather buy a new iPad for tablet use, because there's not even a silver lining on the horizon that Edge is going to get better anytime soon.

Right. The other browsers can get away with not putting much effort into supporting new form factors, since those only represent a tiny fraction of the user base, but when Microsoft wants to convince people of their Surface products, they need to step it up.

I'm not particularly optimistic about the future of Edge. Right now it only has a usage share of around 5% on PCs and no one is building extensions for it when they even have a tool to port Chrome extensions.

What I do like about Edge is that they are experimenting with things like Cortana and inking in the browser. These things could turn into meaningful differentiators in the future.

Plus I don't even think they update Edge on its own, instead through the big Windows Updates right?

I've kind of given up on it and went back to Vivaldi for the time being as some of the extensions I want to use in Edge don't even work correctly.

BeforeU

So finally got the Pixel.

Yes this thing is fast, and the first thing I did was install all my banking apps. jesus, using finger id to sign into the phone and log into your banking is breeze.

and sadly performance of apps like messenger, WhatsApp and multitasking are the only thing so far I can say this phone is doing better than my L950 XL.

The screen on both are good, and I am still not a fan of Android UI. If you miss the notification from the lock screen, there is no way to know you got a text, or msg from the app icons. what the fucking fuck? You won't find any notification looking at the homescreen, for some reason I thought you get that bubble with number on top of each icon like iOS. This is beyond dumb.

and the second thing, hollyfuck the camera. I don't know if all the reviewers are ignorant or they just don't know. But this thing is no where near L950 XL. which was a year old.

Like seriously, no manual controls (which I knew before buying it btw). And no 16:9 ratio for 12.3mp resolution. Like what the fuck? 99% of the pictures I view is on my laptop, TV or phone screen. I don't want to see 4:3 with those black dumb lines.

You know what, I still like the device. But it just saddens me that there is so much Windows Phone does from UI and Camera experience. You realise those small things like contact sync with FB with their pics vs this dumb looking contact list I have on Pixel. But because Microsoft fucked up so bad, Windows Phone never took off. It truly angers me that after spending 700 USD I am still not satisfied. And yes I want to blame it on Microsoft for not getting their shit together.

While I miss live tiles, my 950xl's camera, etc, I can't go back after experiencing the Android app performance on my Honor 8. I thought I could go back to my 950xl occasionally as I use my Honor 8 as a daily driver but that won't be the case. W10 Mobile performs fine but the apps are embarrassing.

BeforeU

While I miss live tiles, my 950xl's camera, etc, I can't go back after experiencing the Android app performance on my Honor 8. I thought I could go back to my 950xl occasionally as I use my Honor 8 as a daily driver but that won't be the case. W10 Mobile performs fine but the apps are embarrassing.

I agree. Apps load and run really bad on WM10. Shockingly bad tbh. After experiencing the performance of Pixel. Its hard for me to go back too.

The screen on both are good, and I am still not a fan of Android UI. If you miss the notification from the lock screen, there is no way to know you got a text, or msg from the app icons. what the fucking fuck? You won't find any notification looking at the homescreen, for some reason I thought you get that bubble with number on top of each icon like iOS. This is beyond dumb.

The notification badge isn't on the icons, it's on the status bar. The app icons shows up there and stays there until you clear the notification. It's different, but it's not worse.

clav

and the second thing, hollyfuck the camera. I don't know if all the reviewers are ignorant or they just don't know. But this thing is no where near L950 XL. which was a year old.

Like seriously, no manual controls (which I knew before buying it btw). And no 16:9 ratio for 12.3mp resolution. Like what the fuck? 99% of the pictures I view is on my laptop, TV or phone screen. I don't want to see 4:3 with those black dumb lines.

You know what, I still like the device. But it just saddens me that there is so much Windows Phone does from UI and Camera experience. You realise those small things like contact sync with FB with their pics vs this dumb looking contact list I have on Pixel. But because Microsoft fucked up so bad, Windows Phone never took off. It truly angers me that after spending 700 USD I am still not satisfied. And yes I want to blame it on Microsoft for not getting their shit together.

You can solve your Android issues by downloading apps.

The notification badge isn't on the icons, it's on the status bar. The app icons shows up there and stays there until you clear the notification. It's different, but it's not worse.

Depending on the kind of phone SoC (SnapDragon vs. Mediatek), the former can color code LED notifications through the ROM itself or through a third party app, so you already know what kind of notification it is before powering on the screen.

NeOak

Speaking of apps. Is there a way I can restore my texts from my Lumia 950 on to this.
There were third party apps that did that, but I haven't checked in a while.

One thing I can say Blackberry did great with their version of Android was notifications. Their Priv flip cover works like a small glance screen too while closed, and had icon notifications that you could choose.

If you really want numbers on your icons, you can download a 3rd party homescreen like Nova Launcher and get them though that. I'd recommend Nova anyway, as it's highly customizable.

Top Bottom