• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Probably not until the creators update, so Spring?

yeah, spring at earliest. First GATT server API's need to go live on preview (they're not as of yet, only updated their documentation for feedback), then it needs to get out of preview (next big update is spring right?), THEN Fitbit will start implementing it.

kazinova

Finally threw my Nexus 5X in a garbage can. I briefly toyed around with resuscitating my broken 1520 but ultimately I broke down and snagged a 7 Plus aaaaand I'm remembering how boring iOS is.

I've tried every operating system and I think it's pretty clear that Windows Phone is the perfect middle ground between Apple's strict walled garden and Android's personalization at the expense of stability.

That said, the app situation still kills everything, whoever canned the Android->W10 bridge may have made the right business decision but they basically spit in the mouth of every current user. Having basic ports of every Android app would have retained me as a user.

Meanwhile, even though the availability of apps is equivalent, the quality of the same app from Android to iOS is embarrassing. So basically the grass is only slightly greener on the other side. In the end, despite Android appearing more palatable to the average WP user, just don't. Go straight for the silver bullet if you're jumping ship. (I can't believe I'm parroting Thurrott. But here we are.)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Finally threw my Nexus 5X in a garbage can. I briefly toyed around with resuscitating my broken 1520 but ultimately I broke down and snagged a 7 Plus aaaaand I'm remembering how boring iOS is.

I've tried every operating system and I think it's pretty clear that Windows Phone is the perfect middle ground between Apple's strict walled garden and Android's personalization at the expense of stability.

That said, the app situation still kills everything, whoever canned the Android->W10 bridge may have made the right business decision but they basically spit in the mouth of every current user. Having basic ports of every Android app would have retained me as a user.

Meanwhile, even though the availability of apps is equivalent, the quality of the same app from Android to iOS is embarrassing. So basically the grass is only slightly greener on the other side. In the end, despite Android appearing more palatable to the average WP user, just don't. Go straight for the silver bullet if you're jumping ship. (I can't believe I'm parroting Thurrott. But here we are.)

This right here is how I feel. Windows Phone was (Yes was) a perfect combination of both iOS and Android. But with all the Windows 10 Mobile bugs and shitty unstable apps, it went from smooth to laggy mess.

btw I completely disagree with your last paragraph. I have been using Pixel XL for few days now, and this thing just floats on the surface. Its butter smooth, and just as good as iOS. With better and more customizable UI (imo)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OMG, my job gave me an i7 dGPU 16gb 1TB Surface Book today. I'm overwhelmed, this is awesome. Last piece of kit I got was a Surface 3 (not even the Pro) so I really wasn't expecting much when I got called in to pick up a new device.

Holy Cow, this thing is amazing. I will be able to get my texts on it eventually, but with Windows Mobile dead, I hope MS is able to work out more seamless Android integration for messaging, device unlock etc.

Also, Cortana on Android needs major improvement. This is one of those times where I wish I could go all Windows, but Android will have to do.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with the poster above saying iPhone is the only landing place for WP enthusiasts. He went from a $400 Android phone to a $800 smartphone and is surprised the experience is better? Please. That reminds me of all the people who go from $400 Acer Walmart laptops to $1500 macbooks and then express all kinds of surprise at how much faster their new Apple machine is, as if it's Apple magic that is producing better results as opposed to the superior components that an extra $1,100 buys you.

You can get a Pixel or Galaxy and have a better, more seamless Microsoft experience on Android, that's not even up for debate: the launcher, Cortana messaging, Microsoft authenticator and Outlook on Android Wear, Band 2 integration, etc.

I'm not knocking iPhone, it's definitely the best phone for most people, but I think it's not the obvious choice for MS people like us, unless you want to compare $800 iPhones against phones half that price to brag about performance. Yes, third party apps are better on iPhone, but not by the crazy margin implied by the post. I bounce back and forth, I can compare apples to apples.

kazinova

It's more than performance, I understand the jump from 5X to 7 Plus is big. It's more the implementation of everything. On Android Pay my bank card wouldn't work. Apple Pay? It is compatible, because of course it is.

That's the refrain, does this work? Of course it does.

Does this app have better feature integration? Of course it does.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'll give you Apple pay, it works better than Android pay, but Samsung pay is even better.

The "just works" argument for Apple is less relevant every day as Windows machines and Android phones become more capable without the stagnation and rigidity of Apple devices.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
OMG, my job gave me an i7 dGPU 16gb 1TB Surface Book today. I'm overwhelmed, this is awesome. Last piece of kit I got was a Surface 3 (not even the Pro) so I really wasn't expecting much when I got called in to pick up a new device.

Holy Cow, this thing is amazing. I will be able to get my texts on it eventually, but with Windows Mobile dead, I hope MS is able to work out more seamless Android integration for messaging, device unlock etc.

Nice! Jelly

I'll give you Apple pay, it works better than Android pay, but Samsung pay is even better.

The "just works" argument for Apple is less relevant every day as Windows machines and Android phones become more capable without the stagnation and rigidity of Apple devices.

one of my coworkers got a Gear S3 a few days ago.

used it today and the cashier was legit shook that he paid with his watch.

Nikodemos

I'm crazy enough to buy a new Windows RT 2 tablet. I love my Nokia 2520, it's still going strong after all these yrs.
Yeah, it runs great. I'd definitely buy a second-hand one, if it weren't for the fact that it's deader than PalmOS, and the only things you can do on it are watch movies and surf the net (and the occasional compatible game on MS Store).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think MS should ban devices with those specs, especially the 32gb storage. My wife's HP Stream was handed down to my daughter and I can't even restore it and erase my wife's account. It also keeps trying and failing to download the latest update to Windows 10. What a nightmare. I've tried deleting a ton of stuff and it doesn't matter. The system just gobbles up the space for the updates it can't install.

Any ideas? I'm guessing I have to have to use a usb dive to wipe it clean? Any help would be appreciated.

I have purchased several of those cheaper Windows 10 PC's and they have all been terrible. I get that Microsoft pushed them as Chromebook competitors, but the performance was disastrous vs my Chromebook and I feel like it does the platform harm if somebody picks up one of those and sees the terrible performance and maybe relates that to the platform more than the PC.

Nikodemos

Yeah, despite the terrible bloat of Google (app), Google Play Services and (to a lesser extent) Maps, Android is a much more compact OS compared to desktop Win10.

NeOak

32 GB for a full-spec desktop version Win10 is indeed disastrous. You could try a wipe then fresh install Win10 from a stick.

I think the ones from the MS store are usually "Signature Edition" PCs that supposedly bring no bloatware.

Supposedly.

clav

I think MS should ban devices with those specs, especially the 32gb storage. My wife's HP Stream was handed down to my daughter and I can't even restore it and erase my wife's account. It also keeps trying and failing to download the latest update to Windows 10. What a nightmare. I've tried deleting a ton of stuff and it doesn't matter. The system just gobbles up the space for the updates it can't install.

Any ideas? I'm guessing I have to have to use a usb dive to wipe it clean? Any help would be appreciated.

Do a clean install with a USB drive + Media Creator Tool.

Compact the installation in a Windows session with this command in run/cmd/powershell:

Code:
Compact /CompactOS:always

This command is an evolution of what made Windows 8.1 possible on small devices.

Yikes.

I made the mistake of getting this tablet for $59 during the 12 Days of Deals sale last week:

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.5078216000

• Out of box, wifi was busted
  • Eventually got wifi to work....sporadically
  • Felt much slower to use than my old Venue 8 Pro did on Windows 8.1
  • Battery life is utterly atrocious

Thanksfully I was able to return it to my local retail store for a full refund :-(

I thought whether I should have bought that device. Upon viewing user video reviews, I noticed the wifi problem immediately (poor range).

Company has a bad battery reputation with its Android devices as they don't last as long as stated (6 hours).

Intel Atom SoC should have been decent, but I guess poor memory + drive affected performance.

NeOak

Hmm shouldn't Edge favorites and passwords sync to Edge on Xbox one?
Edge on Xbox is not actually the same edge from mobile/pc, it's a reakin from the previous ie app without those features also.

Dunno if they ever plan to update it, would be nice to have flash support on xbone.

For those that this would be important to, as of the latest Insider Preview for Desktop Windows, Regedit now FINALLY has an address bar, allowing you to copy and paste registry addresses instead of manually clicking every single folder.

Truly, Windows is now at its best.

Paganmoon

Hmm, and spotify has been spotty as fuck for me as of late. Have to reboot the phone to get it to play at all sometimes. And going on vacation now so I set a few playlists to offline sync yesterday. All green, but when I enter some now it states it needs to go online to display the songs. I connected to the open Wi-Fi here at Schiphol, and the playlist loaded. Spotify is still in offline mode tho... Got a 12 hour flight in a bit and Spotify better not act up again.

derFeef

Hmm, and spotify has been spotty as fuck for me as of late. Have to reboot the phone to get it to play at all sometimes. And going on vacation now so I set a few playlists to offline sync yesterday. All green, but when I enter some now it states it needs to go online to display the songs. I connected to the open Wi-Fi here at Schiphol, and the playlist loaded. Spotify is still in offline mode tho... Got a 12 hour flight in a bit and Spotify better not act up again.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Spotify is a mess since forever.
But I am having troubles with other audio/music apps as well, sometimes I get the "no adio device" error.

Paganmoon

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Spotify is a mess since forever.
But I am having troubles with other audio/music apps as well, sometimes I get the "no adio device" error.

Yeah, got the "no audio device" bug a few times as well. Thing is Audible works without (that many) issues.

Now at 16% battery and phone refuses to charge. Should maybe just get a new phone while at the airport, this is my only way of communicating with family back, also doubles as my camera/music player/map. Not translator though, Microsoft hasn't added Filipino to offline (or even online) translation for the Windows Mobile app...

Edit: False alarm regarding the charging. Apparently the outlets are wonky as hell.

Does anyone have trouble going to youtube? All was well until 24 hours ago. Whenever I tried to go to youtube all I get is Error: Cannot find server or DNS error. All other websites work just fine. I've tried another browser besides Edge and have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have trouble going to youtube? All was well until 24 hours ago. Whenever I tried to go to youtube all I get is Error: Cannot find server or DNS error. All other websites work just fine. I've tried another browser besides Edge and have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm. Just tried and no issues for myself.

The other day I returned my Band to the MS store due to another tear. I had enough so I got a Fitbit Charge 2. I like it so far. The battery is great and it is pretty comfortable. The app is nice too. Features can't quite compare to the Band and I find the sleep tracking isn't as good either. I wish MS would have went with a similar strap.

Hmmm. Just tried and no issues for myself.

The other day I returned my Band to the MS store due to another tear. I had enough so I got a Fitbit Charge 2. I like it so far. The battery is great and it is pretty comfortable. The app is nice too. Features can't quite compare to the Band and I find the sleep tracking isn't as good either. I wish MS would have went with a similar strap.

It's really weird. Never had this issue before. Even a fresh install with nothing restored results in the same message. If there's no fix I may have to take it in to the Microsoft Store and see if they will swap it out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I had enough so I got a Fitbit Charge 2. I like it so far. The battery is great and it is pretty comfortable. The app is nice too. Features can't quite compare to the Band and I find the sleep tracking isn't as good either. I wish MS would have went with a similar strap.

Not being able to see notifications on the Fitbit means it's worthless for most people. I feel bad recommending it to my brother because I didn't realize how limited it was on Windows phone.

ty_hot

It amazes me how this shit system just keeping getting worst. I am past the point of complaining about the [lack of] apps... I was still a hapy owner of a Windows phone because I could listen to music, check the maps, browse the internet and use whatsapp.

they fucked up the maps hard, Bing maps is so shitty compared to Here Maps, the directions function is completely broken - MS probably wants me to live in the USA to make it work. All timetables are terrible and never work well. They cant even show metro past midnight in Barcelona (!!!), seriously. I am usually going to the Google Maps through the Edge browser to get reliable information.

Then comes the second shit part: Edge browser is broken, I can use it and then suddenly it just crashes. You open a tab, it loads a page, then after 5 seconds (in any page) it jsut crashes and reloads. Only solution is turning the phone off and on. I do it everyday. blah.

Music is fine FOR NOW, we never know yeah? lol Same for whatsapp.

The camera now is the biggest piece of shit that I ever used. you open the app, everything is fine, you take 4 photos and forget about it... then you want to check those photos later, the first one is not there. Or the last. or all of them. completely random. And it does show their thumbnails and when you open after taking the photo it says 'adding finishing touches' ... only so that in the end it just disappear.

Because all this shit is not enugh, the Onedrive is slow as fuck. I took 3 photos to send in a email (in the computer), so I took and after 10 minutes they were not uploaded yet... that was when i went there and found out one of them was not even saved. In the end I had to send the email from the phone itself because it wouldnt upload ....

I hate this phone. In the next few months I am finally getting an Android. LIBERATION.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What phone do you have? That sounds like your phone is garbage rather than the OS. There is a decent third party Google maps app in the store last time I had a Windows phone.

I've seem many of the problems he described on a 930. In fact, the camera app still is absolute crap regarding saving pictures, and that issue with edge happens a lot with me too, specially pages with many gifs.

Treo360

Wow, such problems. I don't have any of the described issues running non-insider builds. All official on my 950xl. Granted here maps was much better than MS maps. My only issue with the camera is when I'm taking HDR shots, it seems to take forever for it to finish processing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The early Windows 10 builds had the camera roll problems, by the time I sold it a few months ago, my 950 photo taking experience was the best part of it.

Edge had rendering problems, but it could load up image heavy pages OK, I'm guessing the extra ram on the 950 helped.

ty_hot

I am under the impression that MS expected that W10 would sell a lot more phones, so they announced updates for almost every phone they had (even the old 520 was supposed to get it and then after months they canceled it, but not before releasing some insiders previews for it as well lol). So now that the OS is as dead as it can be, they are not worried about making it run better, specially for non flagship devices (anything other than 950)... It's like they REALLY gave up, but they just can't officially give up.

There was this interview that someone from MS said that they would still work on Windows mobile even though the sales were disappointing because that was the future (ARM processors, battery performance etc), which really translates to: we dont give a fuck about older models, we are doing this so that in the future we can release a cool Surface Book/Phone/Pro with ARM Windows, and to do that we just need to get the 950 running well because the future devices wont be less powerful than that.

I always had problems with those experimental builds - the reason why they are experimental - and never complained much because at least I could see that things were evolving. But in the last 3 months things are not getting better and what worked well now is broken.

The Edge problem is a shame, it crashes when Im surfing Neogaf mobile website WITH PICS TURNED OFF. Seriously. A long time ago (6 monhts?) it would crash only when I was reading one gigantic article from Mother Jones, but other than that it would run just fine everything else.

I have a 640 btw, far from being an awesome phone but I dont see why it CANT EVEN SAVE THE FUCKING PHOTOS I TAKE. The problems I experience seem to be much more related to the software than the hardware (I am not even turning on HDR for photos because that sure is too much for this hardware lol). But right now my phone takes more time to 'process' a normal photo than it used to take a few months ago to process an HDR photo. And yes, I did reset my phone in the meantime...

n64coder

I am under the impression that MS expected that W10 would sell a lot more phones, so they announced updates for almost every phone they had (even the old 520 was supposed to get it and then after months they canceled it, but not before releasing some insiders previews for it as well lol). So now that the OS is as dead as it can be, they are not worried about making it run better, specially for non flagship devices (anything other than 950)... It's like they REALLY gave up, but they just can't officially give up.

There was this interview that someone from MS said that they would still work on Windows mobile even though the sales were disappointing because that was the future (ARM processors, battery performance etc), which really translates to: we dont give a fuck about older models, we are doing this so that in the future we can release a cool Surface Book/Phone/Pro with ARM Windows, and to do that we just need to get the 950 running well because the future devices wont be less powerful than that.

I always had problems with those experimental builds - the reason why they are experimental - and never complained much because at least I could see that things were evolving. But in the last 3 months things are not getting better and what worked well now is broken.

The Edge problem is a shame, it crashes when Im surfing Neogaf mobile website WITH PICS TURNED OFF. Seriously. A long time ago (6 monhts?) it would crash only when I was reading one gigantic article from Mother Jones, but other than that it would run just fine everything else.

I have a 640 btw, far from being an awesome phone but I dont see why it CANT EVEN SAVE THE FUCKING PHOTOS I TAKE. The problems I experience seem to be much more related to the software than the hardware (I am not even turning on HDR for photos because that sure is too much for this hardware lol). But right now my phone takes more time to 'process' a normal photo than it used to take a few months ago to process an HDR photo. And yes, I did reset my phone in the meantime...

Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues. What is the exact build version you're running? My daughters have 640s and are not having the issues that you're having. Granted, they don't use neogaf but they do a lot of web browsing, youtube, reddit.

I have the 950XL and don't have any issues. I agree that when the 950XL was first released, there was all sorts of software bugs but they have been fixed.

I don't think it was a marketing thing that the older phones were dropped from W10. I think they realized that the memory footprint was too large to support those phones or the processor is too slow.

Top Bottom