• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Prez

Music+ is a great MusicCloud app and the main way I get music on my phone now.

Seems like you can't forward and rewind though? Also there hasn't been an update for a long time now.

Btw I really love the orange Lumia cover. Makes my phone look like a 60s design piece.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I use the period which gmail accepts but I don't think @outlook.com allows email addresses with periods in them. I might be confused but my daughters have their full names on gmail but I wasn't able to create the same accounts on outlook.com. I think it merged it together without periods.

Why even bother setting up an outlook.com address? you can use your gmail to sign up to an MS account. Although at one point I did use an outlook.com address for my wife just to get push email (gmail auto-forwarding to outlook server side, which then supports push to windows phone), I don't bother anymore and I get my emails quickly enough.

KageMaru

Seems like you can't forward and rewind though? Also there hasn't been an update for a long time now.

Btw I really love the orange Lumia cover. Makes my phone look like a 60s design piece.

I don't use it as a music player so I can't comment on those features but the dev does a great job supporting it, it was just updated on the 25th.

n64coder

Why even bother setting up an outlook.com address? you can use your gmail to sign up to an MS account.

Yes, I'm aware of that but I wanted to have separate accounts plus I may switch to outlook.com in the future.

I was using my 1020 fine all day and just now I looked at it and see that it has been factory reset somehow. Has this happened to anyone?

I guess I'll see how good the phone backup is. I was on 8.1 DP with Cyan. It's currently going through a restore.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess I'll see how good the phone backup is. I was on 8.1 DP with Cyan. It's currently going through a restore.

should be fine. Takes a while but redownloads all your apps you had, restores text message conversations and settings etc. When I restored a 920 backup to my new 930 though, the home screen was messed up. That might have been because I was using the update with live tiles though, and the 930 hadn't been updated then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nice - if i just drag and drop music into the music folder via USB, it shows up and can be controlled via my car audio system. Now to see if I can get playlists working on the car..

toff74

Is anyone using the podcast app with any success?

I'm using a L920 on the developers preview and its causing lockups and at worst reboots.

Are there any fixes/workarounds apart from the obvious? (use another program). Or any known plans to upgrade the app?

Is anyone using the podcast app with any success?

I'm using a L920 on the developers preview and its causing lockups and at worst reboots.

Are there any fixes/workarounds apart from the obvious? (use another program). Or any known plans to upgrade the app?

I used the Podcast app since the preview started and had no issues with it. Definitely no reboots. Haven't used my Lumia since July, though, so I'm not sure if Update 1 changed anything.

toff74

I used the Podcast app since the preview started and had no issues with it. Definitely no reboots. Haven't used my Lumia since July, though, so I'm not sure if Update 1 changed anything.

I've not used the app for a long time so was looking forward to doing some catching up... The problems occurred mainly during the updating of subscriptions (lfreezing and crashing). I'm not sure what it was doing to cause the 2 reboots.

I'll keep fiddling with the app to see if its something repeatable consistently. If not I'll be happily listening to my backlog!!

Podcasts works great for me, but I've never had any issues with it.

With the latest update (I'm on dev preview), the Music app is finally pretty solid. Loads fast-ish and has a live tile. I'll take what I can get.

JaggedSac

Podcasts works fine for me. Definitely glad they untied it from their Zune backend as some podcasts took a while to post to there.

Music is now a merely decent app.

Sordid

Wow, my 620 was always a bit temperamental and liked to freeze now and again but Cyan has breathed new life into it. Everything seems so much faster and it hasn't frozen since, my 920 is jealous!

I hope HTC release their 8.1 firmware too, the dev preview performance on it is really bad.

New Kantar numbers.

kUfwc7I.png

We're so weird here in the US, iOS and Android always have these wild swings, like people think there is only 2 options out there.

Jeez, MS needs a better marketing team, or even better - outsource it. It worked for Hyundai's brand image!

PG2G

I imagine iOS sales take a huge dip as we near the release of the next model and shoot up when the model is out.

Android has the luxury of having a nice stream of devices so you don't get as many people waiting for the next Gen before buying

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Are there any podcast apps that can sync their status with an iPad? I listen to podcasts either on my iPad or my windows phone, but it's a pain to keep them matched - manually marking episodes as listened to or deleting them. Would be fantastic if that could be automated.

Prez

Slight issue here, I selected my favorite photos to show in the photo tile and there's one photo I don't want to appear anymore. I unfavorited it but it kept appearing. Now I removed the photo but it still shows up. Any way to fix this?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My phone kept getting hot and rebooting, and I couldn't figure out why until last night.

The podcast app decided to go into business for itself and created duplicates of all my subscribed shows and attempted to download them all at once. It was trying to push through nearly 20 GBs of shows! Had to disconnect the wifi and nuke all my podcasts from orbit and spent the morning trying to get the ones I wanted back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Slight issue here, I selected my favorite photos to show in the photo tile and there's one photo I don't want to appear anymore. I unfavorited it but it kept appearing. Now I removed the photo but it still shows up. Any way to fix this?

Try hitting the shuffle button in photo settings?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My 930 with 8.1 and the dev preview just feels right. Took a while but it finally clicked for me and feels solid and well rounded. Live folders and six tiles wide gives a ton of flexibility in laying out the home screen; lock screen cycling round my favourite photos while showing notifications and the weather (thanks weather flow); cortana popping up reminders when I arrive home. I think the big value to me is that most information I need is just a glance away, or a quick swipe down to see more detail on emails etc, so I spend less time digging into apps.

kharma45

Not quite sim free, locked to ee/t mobile/orange.

Still amazing.

edit: http://m.carphonewarehouse.com/mt/www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/nokia-lumia-530/ppayupg

All CPW phones are unlocked.

Ah, upgrade price, so you'd need to be ready for an upgrade, and do a new monthly contract. Was hoping for a cheap backup or possible birthday present for my daughter next year. Oh well, still time to wait on that.

The upgrade is on PAYG not on a contract.

kharma45

How do you upgrade on PAYG? Surely there isn't any minimum contract term?

There isn't that's correct, but CPW and the likes have started offering this. The only condition is that youve an active SIM on the network you want to upgrade on and it hasn't been used as an upgrade in the last 6 months.

It's basically a way to give a slight discount on PAYG phones I guess. I've used this method to get various people cheap 520s over the last while.

CPW probably have a better explanation of it on their website but all you do is plug in your phone number and it checks if you're eligible for the discounted handset.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There isn't that's correct, but CPW and the likes have started offering this. The only condition is that youve an active SIM on the network you want to upgrade on and it hasn't been used as an upgrade in the last 6 months.

It's basically a way to give a slight discount on PAYG phones I guess. I've used this method to get various people cheap 520s over the last while.

CPW probably have a better explanation of it on their website but all you do is plug in your phone number and it checks if you're eligible for the discounted handset.

so I could grab a vodafone SIM from the local supermarket for £1 (or whatever) and 'upgrade' it? Sounds pretty good to me.

Doffen

Every time I thing it's safe to use Spotify for Windows Phone I stumble upon another missing feature.

Device sync.

sigh...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey Guys,
I've had an available upgrade since last year, I've been on an iPhone 4s, which is long in the tooth to say the least. I don't really use many apps other than google maps, a list app, Pulse, radio.com, words with friends. So I don't really care about the apple ecosystem.

I have a surface and so I've been looking at Windows Phone and android isn't an option. I've gone through most of the thread, so thanks to everyone that contributes. I'm on Verizon so thankfully it looks like I have some decent options, like the Icon.

I just stopped by a Verizon store and played with the HTC M8 and the Icon. The M8 is some nice sleek hardware, but as Van says, the camera is really crap. The Icon on the other hand the hardware isn't as nice looking but the camera is really really nice. I was able to produce photos with bokeh in them. I have several nice DSLR/Mirroless cameras but I don't always carry them with me.

I found the OS to be super responsive on both(I don't know what update level they were at, didn't look), everything was super fast, loading, scrolling and closing which is impressive since they were display phones which don't always get treated with care. Which leads me to what is this people keep saying about getting "loading" or "resuming" in this thread?

Apparently I can get the Icon for free on a 2 year contract, but I guess my only concern is getting one in the next week and then Microsoft/Nokia announcing the new latest and greatest. Doesn't bother me that much, but recently I have had bad luck in that regard, I bought my surface 2 in Feb and then they announced the 3.

DonMigs85

"Loading" or "Resuming" tends to come up more often on the 512MB and 1GB phones, for example when opening Settings or some other app.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey Guys,
I've had an available upgrade since last year, I've been on an iPhone 4s, which is long in the tooth to say the least. I don't really use many apps other than google maps, a list app, Pulse, radio.com, words with friends. So I don't really care about the apple ecosystem.

I have a surface and so I've been looking at Windows Phone and android isn't an option. I've gone through most of the thread, so thanks to everyone that contributes. I'm on Verizon so thankfully it looks like I have some decent options, like the Icon.

I just stopped by a Verizon store and played with the HTC M8 and the Icon. The M8 is some nice sleek hardware, but as Van says, the camera is really crap. The Icon on the other hand the hardware isn't as nice looking but the camera is really really nice. I was able to produce photos with bokeh in them. I have several nice DSLR/Mirroless cameras but I don't always carry them with me.

I found the OS to be super responsive on both(I don't know what update level they were at, didn't look), everything was super fast, loading, scrolling and closing which is impressive since they were display phones which don't always get treated with care. Which leads me to what is this people keep saying about getting "loading" or "resuming" in this thread?

Apparently I can get the Icon for free on a 2 year contract, but I guess my only concern is getting one in the next week and then Microsoft/Nokia announcing the new latest and greatest. Doesn't bother me that much, but recently I have had bad luck in that regard, I bought my surface 2 in Feb and then they announced the 3.

Nothing new coming this year, so feel free to jump in. No google maps app, but you have HERE maps which gives free navigation and offline maps so as long as you aren't stuck on that you should be fine.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nothing new coming this year, so feel free to jump in.
Interesting if they don't have anything other than the M8 for the fall. But I may just jump in with an Icon.
No google maps app, but you have HERE maps which gives free navigation and offline maps so as long as you aren't stuck on that you should be fine.

Yea I checked it out at the store, it seemed pretty neat. Have there been any complaints about accuracy? I know when Apple released their maps, it took us to the wrong location twice and I was done with it.

KageMaru

Yea I checked it out at the store, it seemed pretty neat. Have there been any complaints about accuracy? I know when Apple released their maps, it took us to the wrong location twice and I was done with it.

Your experience may vary. It works great in Ohio but I've heard and read complaints from other areas. There are other options like Waze.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting if they don't have anything other than the M8 for the fall. But I may just jump in with an Icon.

Should be fine. Nokia bought Navteq, one of the two big maps companies at the time (the other being teleatlas), so it has a much stronger foundation than the apple maps. I've never had any problems with it, and offline is great (may use my old 920 purely as a satnav)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Should I have gotten a headset with my 1020? Cause there weren't any in the box.

Top Bottom