• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

what exactly doesnt stay intact when you do a restore?

People have mostly covered it, but basically any local storage for apps. Game saves, other app save data, stuff that might be super important to people.

8.1 enables developers to easily back up their save data to OneDrive, but they need to specifically build their apps to use that feature and it only works in 8.1.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, there are certain apps that are optimised for 8.1 and that do back up your settings and sessions. The bing apps, and even certain 3rd party apps like Nexgen Reader.

They even sync across WP8.1 and W8.1.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Unless I missed it, neither the verge nor Engadget mentioned that you can store apps on sd for windows phone while Google restricts that functionality on android. Many apps do not allow you to store them on the SD card on android, especially the big name ones and the Google apps. Or even if they allow you to move them to SD, they maintain a large chunk of their data on the phone memory and transfer only a portion to SD. That's a big advantage for windows phone and it means you have a lot more flexibility on that platform when it comes to expanding memory and yet none of the expert tech review sites mention it.

Unless I missed it, neither the verge nor Engadget mentioned that you can store apps on sd for windows phone while Google restricts that functionality on android. Many apps do not allow you to store them on the SD card on android, especially the big name ones and the Google apps. Or even if they allow you to move them to SD, they maintain a large chunk of their data on the phone memory and transfer only a portion to SD. That's a big advantage for windows phone and it means you have a lot more flexibility on that platform when it comes to expanding memory and yet none of the expert tech review sites mention it.

A guy at my work was complaining to me about this and one of the reason he is waiting for me to get him OnePlus One because of 64gb model. I didn't realize that the app are restricted on Android until he told me.

We went out doing Pub Crawl and most of the picture come out looking like crap using my OnePlus. I should have switch to 1020 before I leave. While the phone is faster at snapping picture it didn't do me any good when half of the pictures were blurry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Software buttons are the worst thing Microsoft adopted from Google along with removing hardware camera button.

? I have a 930 with a hardware camera button. My previous 920 had a hardware camera button. My son's 520 has a hardware camera button. My wife's Xperia android phone has a hardware camera button..

hankster

? I have a 930 with a hardware camera button. My previous 920 had a hardware camera button. My son's 520 has a hardware camera button. My wife's Xperia android phone has a hardware camera button..
In the past it was a requirement for a Windows Phone to have a hardware camera button. They have now relaxed this requirement so that vendors can easily convert their Android phones into Windows Phones (HTC One for example), and make cheaper Windows Phones.

The Lumia 620 had one, too. The Lumia 630 doesn't. Just like the 520 had one and the 530 doesn't. Even the 730,the selfish phone, doesn't have one.

Maybe that's what he meant.

Prez

What? My 630 doesn't have a hardware camera button so I'm sure the 520 doesn't have one either.

Edit: Well that sucks...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Odd that they removed them from the 530/630. Nokia were always keen on hardware camera buttons and good cameras.

Hope that doesn't become a trend. Love the two stage shutter button on my 930 and hate tapping the screen to take a photo (just makes the phone more likely to shake)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onenote seems pretty crappy on windows phone. Can't even seem to create a new notebook. Are there any tips before I try evernote instead? Figured as I have office 365 I'd be able to use it but it is very limited on mobile. (Also can't sign in with office 365 from the office hub?)

PG2G

Onenote seems pretty crappy on windows phone. Can't even seem to create a new notebook. Are there any tips before I try evernote instead? Figured as I have office 365 I'd be able to use it but it is very limited on mobile. (Also can't sign in with office 365 from the office hub?)

They haven't updated the Ofdice stuff in a while. It sounds like the 'Modern' Office coming soon will be a universal app so I'm guessing there will be some major improvements when that hits

NeOak

OneNote on WP8 is fine. As for Office365, you don't need that to use Office on WP. It's only for iOS/Android so it's not supported.

I keep my notebooks in OneDrive and use OneNote on WP8 to read them and i can edit them, so i don't know what are you talking about.

As for Evernote... LOL good luck.

nillapuddin

Game saves.

Didn't remember wifi, app logins(obvious). IE did have me logged into NeoGAF already but that's probably the sync function. It did however already set Nokia camera beta as default camera app.

People have mostly covered it, but basically any local storage for apps. Game saves, other app save data, stuff that might be super important to people.

8.1 enables developers to easily back up their save data to OneDrive, but they need to specifically build their apps to use that feature and it only works in 8.1.

awesome, thanks yall

I want to roll back from gf's 1020 because somehow pretty much since launch her "extras + info" app/setting has been bugged and never can reinstall itself w/o error. So I figured since 8.1 was official now I will just give her a clean slate.

Will local pictures remain? Home screen layout?
Im pretty sure thats all she will care about, I will make sure she knows whats up with login stuff in advance though

PG2G

awesome, thanks yall

I want to roll back from gf's 1020 because somehow pretty much since launch her "extras + info" app/setting has been bugged and never can reinstall itself w/o error. So I figured since 8.1 was official now I will just give her a clean slate.

Will local pictures remain? Home screen layout?
Im pretty sure thats all she will care about, I will make sure she knows whats up with login stuff in advance though

Local pictured won't remain, you'll need to back them up or re-download them from whatever cloud storage you use as backup.

PG2G

Never was a fan of the camera button. Pressing it made the phone move and resulted in worse pictures for me.

Klocker

Never was a fan of the camera button. Pressing it made the phone move and resulted in worse pictures for me.

Yes but you could always still tap the screen, the main selling point to me, of camera button is a long hold press from locked phone launched into camera, ready to shoot

hwalker84

I love it for the fast access to the camera. Reach into my pocket and press and hold the button while pulling it out. Camera is ready to go by the time I bring it up to eye level.

hankster

Yes but you could always still tap the screen, the main selling point to me, of camera button is a long hold press from locked phone launched into camera, ready to shoot
Yep - tap to focus and take the pic. Shame that doesn't work with Nokia Camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OneNote on WP8 is fine. As for Office365, you don't need that to use Office on WP. It's only for iOS/Android so it's not supported.

I keep my notebooks in OneDrive and use OneNote on WP8 to read them and i can edit them, so i don't know what are you talking about.

I'll have another play with onenote. Maybe it is better when editing thing created on a computer, but I found it difficult to create new things on the phone - like a new notebook for example.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wish 1020 was this fast. :(

It's a pain.

I adore the 1020, but a camera phone NEEDS to be fast as hell so I can wipe it out and take an awesome pic of something exciting as it happens. Having to wait for a couple of seconds goes against its very concept.

n64coder

What's wrong with Evernote? I've been using it for awhile and haven't noticed any issues on WP.

It's a pain.

I adore the 1020, but a camera phone NEEDS to be fast as hell so I can wipe it out and take an awesome pic of something exciting as it happens. Having to wait for a couple of seconds goes against its very concept.

Yeah, I agree. Is this an issue with Nokia firmware or is it the WP? I've seen people post that the issue is that there's no dedicated processor for the camera.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The CPU just can't get there. The 1020 was a really high end concept based on almost EOL hardware. A Snapdragon 600 based 1020 would probably fly. Not even a 800 or 801.

It's a pain.

Yeah but I rather have this image

qEjNCzT.jpg

than this one (no pun intended).

Also camera button so you don't have to touch the screen while you try to hold the ever increasingly large phone.

NeOak

What's wrong with Evernote? I've been using it for awhile and haven't noticed any issues on WP.

I tried it a couple years ago but I didn't find it that useful then. OneNote was superior for my college needs. And lets not talk about the WP app then.

OneNote still is superior IMO.

I cant use onenote, so I have switched to using To Do to keep all my notes. I really want something where if I make a note on my phone it shows up on my Windows tablet, and vice versa.

Top Bottom