• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I use Cortana for reminders.

Yeah I have started doing that as well but I cant always talk to my phone so I need to be able to quickly type some.

Speaking of Cortona in the commercial the guy says remind me when I get home of something, and it does it. I am wondering how you let the phone know what address is your home? If I put in my home address each time it will remind me when I get home but I dont want to type the whole address each time.

Yeah I have started doing that as well but I cant always talk to my phone so I need to be able to quickly type some.

Speaking of Cortona in the commercial the guy says remind me when I get home of something, and it does it. I am wondering how you let the phone know what address is your home? If I put in my home address each time it will remind me when I get home but I dont want to type the whole address each time.
FYI, you can type any Cortana commands as well, don't need to say them.

Set your home address in Cortana's "notebook" (open Cortana and hit the menu button top right).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I tried. Holy shit, you can't on WP8?

I'll eat crow. I remember being able to do it on WP7, but I may be wrong too.

Fuck.

That's why I was complaining. I actually tried it out on my computer (I have office 365) and really liked it, so it was very disappointing to find I couldn't create a new notebook or even a section - only new pages. For now I've created some template notebooks on my computer so I'll persevere. the layout seems nicer for minute taking and to do lists, but I'll try evernote as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

As said, you can do it from the cortana notebook. It should also pick up favourited locations from the maps app. I have at least home/work/supermarket there at the moment. Setting reminders to go off when I get home is really useful.

Tapiozona

Banned
Well after 4 previously unscathed drops of my 1520 it finally happened..

20140901_213527_zpsf1d808c2.jpg

Anyone with a 1520 who doesn't have a case or screen protector, I'd recommend doing so. It costs almost $200 just for the part because you need to replace the digitizer when you replace the glass. They manufactured it in a way that it's next to impossible to separate the two. I haven't even managed to find a repair shop that was willing to try it.

Great phone, shitty design. I ended up buying one on craigslist for $250, and I'll sell my broken one on ebay for $120ish.

hwalker84

Well after 4 previously unscathed drops of my 1520 it finally happened..

20140901_213527_zpsf1d808c2.jpg

Anyone with a 1520 who doesn't have a case or screen protector, I'd recommend doing so. It costs almost $200 just for the part because you need to replace the digitizer when you replace the glass. They manufactured it in a way that it's next to impossible to separate the two. I haven't even managed to find a repair shop that was willing to try it.

Great phone, shitty design. I ended up buying one on craigslist for $250, and I'll sell my broken one on ebay for $120ish.

http://www.palcocellphonerepair.com/ Did a great job on my 1520.

I'm reading the Verge's HTC One for Windows review. It's not written by David Pierce, which is great. That doesn't stop me from being really surprised, though.

The usual dig at the apps is there, of course. No surprise here and it's still a valid point.

"Yet despite the advancements in Windows Phone as a platform, it still falls short in the third-party app department, and this becomes painfully obvious when you compare the Windows M8 next to the Android version. Though Microsoft has worked very hard to expand the Windows Phone store’s options to over 300,000 apps and has gotten some big-name apps on the platform, such as Instagram and Uber, the Windows Phone versions are almost always inferior to their Android or iOS counterparts. For example, while Instagram for Android and iOS has had the ability to record video and tweak images extensively for some time, the Windows Phone version of the app offers neither of those features. You get the basic filters and nothing more. The same can be said for Twitter, Facebook, and many others."

But here is what really shocked me. The HTC One with Android performs better than the Windows Phone variant.

"Though the M8 for Windows has the same processor and RAM as the Android model (it’s a 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, for those interested), it doesn’t perform as smoothly or as quickly as its Android counterpart. Everything feels a little slower on the Windows version for some reason, with animations that stutter and hesitate. It’s a bit out of character for the M8, which is a very fast and responsive Android phone, and for Windows Phone in general, which is usually snappy and responsive on even the most basic hardware. Perhaps HTC has some tuning to do to make Windows run better on the M8’s hardware."

Weird? Yeah, a bit. But still trust Dan Seifert over anything David Pierce writes.

I really wonder what went wrong.

I'm reading the Verge's HTC One for Windows review. It's not written by David Pierce, which is great. That doesn't stop me from being really surprised, though.

The usual dig at the apps is there, of course. No surprise here and it's still a valid point.

"Yet despite the advancements in Windows Phone as a platform, it still falls short in the third-party app department, and this becomes painfully obvious when you compare the Windows M8 next to the Android version. Though Microsoft has worked very hard to expand the Windows Phone store’s options to over 300,000 apps and has gotten some big-name apps on the platform, such as Instagram and Uber, the Windows Phone versions are almost always inferior to their Android or iOS counterparts. For example, while Instagram for Android and iOS has had the ability to record video and tweak images extensively for some time, the Windows Phone version of the app offers neither of those features. You get the basic filters and nothing more. The same can be said for Twitter, Facebook, and many others."

But here is what really shocked me. The HTC One with Android performs better than the Windows Phone variant.

"Though the M8 for Windows has the same processor and RAM as the Android model (it’s a 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, for those interested), it doesn’t perform as smoothly or as quickly as its Android counterpart. Everything feels a little slower on the Windows version for some reason, with animations that stutter and hesitate. It’s a bit out of character for the M8, which is a very fast and responsive Android phone, and for Windows Phone in general, which is usually snappy and responsive on even the most basic hardware. Perhaps HTC has some tuning to do to make Windows run better on the M8’s hardware."

Weird? Yeah, a bit. But still trust Dan Seifert over anything David Pierce writes.

I really wonder what went wrong.

possibly he only used the device during the amount of time it takes to bitlocker the drive and roam all settings during the initial ten minutes of using it. That's about the max perf drain I've seen on a windows phone from the background

So I was previously all talk about jumping ship. However, strongly considering a 930 next month, just want to know if there is any word on the HTC One in the UK?

Gonna get a 930. Going to buy it outright. Anyone with experience - do Nokia phones tend to tank in value quite quick? Am I better to hold out for another month or so? Thanks.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Question for you experts. I am trying to get my administration to try out a Windows Phone. My boss has seen my 1020, but wants something smaller. What model should I recommend? He enjoys the Galaxy 3 mini's size. AT&T is the provider.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
possibly he only used the device during the amount of time it takes to bitlocker the drive and roam all settings during the initial ten minutes of using it. That's about the max perf drain I've seen on a windows phone from the background

That could be it. That was definitely not my experience with the m8 at the Verizon store. I was specifically loading apps and closing them, cause I had seen you guys mention the resume/pause issue. Everything was super snappy, even did a side by side with the Icon everything loading the same.

That said, I'm probably going to go pick up an Icon today, would get the M8 if not for its crappy camera.

Question for you experts. I am trying to get my administration to try out a Windows Phone. My boss has seen my 1020, but wants something smaller. What model should I recommend? He enjoys the Galaxy 3 mini's size. AT&T is the provider.
635 but the 730 and 830 are being announced tomorrow.

NeOak

4"? Only low end such as the 520 or 630 or the 530 are that size.

He can get a 520 for dirt cheap for AT&T. $50 bucks on Amazon atm. Yes, the GoPhones work fine with postpaid accounts.

Edit: Or he can go for the 635. That one has LTE and the gophone version is 99.99.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The w8 is a better device in every respect except the camera. But its such a huge gap that it compromises the phone IMO. I just came back from a mini vacation and I had to carry my lumia 1020 to take family shots. I hate having to pack two devices but the photos I take with my m8 are unacceptable, I can use them for social media but not to keep as family memories. When I get home and view the pictures through Xbox one, the m8 pictures just don't hold up.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
635 but the 730 and 830 are being announced tomorrow.

4"? Only low end such as the 520 or 630 or the 530 are that size.

He can get a 520 for dirt cheap for AT&T. $50 bucks on Amazon atm. Yes, the GoPhones work fine with postpaid accounts.

Edit: Or he can go for the 635. That one has LTE and the gophone version is 99.99.

Thanks. I will check them out.

dLMN8R

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he used it for at least a few days (which alone is far too little to actually review a piece of technology), but considering how much The Verge has gotten wrong about Windows Phone in the past, I wouldn't be surprised.

They consistently tout features of Windows Phone as being new with whatever device/OS version they happen to be using even when those features have been around forever. Clearly showing that they never actually used the previous devices enough to get thoroughly familiar and comfortable with them.

^I was being snarky, with a bit of an explanation for the one way I could see there being some bad perf :). It'd be upsetting if the m8 had major perf issues, though. It's quite solid hardware. Possibly driver issues, or Dev Preview issues. Oftentimes using the preview software will cause an inordinate amount of ...resuming... screens.

MCD

only 2 mid range nokia devices...and a bunch of no name oem devices planned for tomorrow.

yup, this platform is dead.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he used it for at least a few days (which alone is far too little to actually review a piece of technology), but considering how much The Verge has gotten wrong about Windows Phone in the past, I wouldn't be surprised.

They consistently tout features of Windows Phone as being new with whatever device/OS version they happen to be using even when those features have been around forever. Clearly showing that they never actually used the previous devices enough to get thoroughly familiar and comfortable with them.

These people are so invested into their Google workflow that a Windows Phone is simply no alternative to whatever they're using. Chris Ziegler mentioned this few times. He really tried to use a Windows Phone for a longer period and really liked the 920, but the lack of anything Google on there didn't make is a serious contender for private use.

Prez

Are there stronger, thicker covers for the Lumia 630? I'd like my phone to be a bit thicker with the added benefit of extra protection. I'm looking for something to replace the original cover, not something I have to put over it.

JaggedSac

These people are so invested into their Google workflow that a Windows Phone is simply no alternative to whatever they're using. Chris Ziegler mentioned this few times. He really tried to use a Windows Phone for a longer period and really liked the 920, but the lack of anything Google on there didn't make is a serious contender for private use.

People need Google stuff?

it really seemed like the lack of IRC was the big downside (and a dealbreaker) for the Verge staff. They needed it for work.

Right! Forgot about IRC. At first I thought they were joking, but they really weren't. And honestly, IRC is still a good, quick and cheap way to setup a chat room. I assume they're using Hangouts these days.

They sure do know what regular customers use

That was never a criteria in their reviews, so I'm not sure what that snarky comment is about. It's just one of the reasons they don't or can't use a Windows Phone as their private phone.

I can't believe I'm defending the fucking Verge.

Right! Forgot about IRC. At first I thought they were joking, but they really weren't. And honestly, IRC is still a good, quick and cheap way to setup a chat room. I assume they're using Hangouts these days.

That was never a criteria in their reviews, so I'm not sure what that snarky comment is about. It's just one of the reasons they don't or can't use a Windows Phone as their private phone.

I can't believe I'm defending the fucking Verge.

IRC seems like a really solid way for journalists to communicate, especially since they're all spread out around the globe. When news is made in a minute, IRC is a good solution for ensuring everyone is on the same page as opposed to email/phone.

The lack of IRC underscored the platform differences between Android's much more open platform and WP's platform. On Android you could simply 'do more', though that also comes with downsides (battery, perf slowdown). Much like Windows desktop gets a lot of flak for 'slowing down', Android acts similarly in many ways. That's not necessarily something I want in a phone, as I want it to do certain things right.....not to replace my laptop. For others, they want that. WP has opened up quite a bit, and I assume will open up even more as the underlying platform (WinRT) is a main driver for the OS group.

What is interesting is how tech journalism can sometimes doom some of the consumer base from a platform through a lack of knowledge regarding the platform. They've been much better over the past year, once the initial 'app gap' has mostly been solved. Now it's about making sure those main apps are 95% as good as the competition, which hasn't been the case for many, many of them.

Prez

Btw what's up with no alternate routes on Here Drive+? I couldn't go through an access road because it was under construction and I had no way of finding another route. It just kept trying to get me back to the original route which wasn't an option.

Valkyria

Banned
only 2 mid range nokia devices...and a bunch of no name oem devices planned for tomorrow.

yup, this platform is dead.

Hyperbole much? I don't understand this train if thought, there are millions out there that they just want an affordable phone. Just look at Europe market share after the big push for the low end terminals.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So I just got my Icon, what's the deal, Verizon still hasn't pushed out 8.1?

Says I'm on 8.0.10521.0.

Did just receive an update from Nokia, don't know what it did though.

Razdek

Banned
Hyperbole much? I don't understand this train if thought, there are millions out there that they just want an affordable phone. Just look at Europe market share after the big push for the low end terminals.

Google is making a huge push on the low end with Android One and will probably start flooding it even more. MS is going to have some tough competition there.

Top Bottom