• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

RayStorm

Technically it should just be recreating the 4-pole setup that a normal in-line remote uses. But I haven't tested such an accessory. I do know that normal headphone remotes work on windows phone - just tried both android and iPhone cables and boy support skipping by double tapping the call answer button (and obviously WP ones do too)

All right, thank you for that.

AlexMogil

I'm a big doofy dumb dumb who wanted an iPhone 6 or Plus, but after not being able to buy one and then seeing the high-larious issues with software updates I am looking at Windows phone. Couple things:

I am a bit of a Microsoft mark - Surface Pro 3 and Xbox 360/One fan so I am used to MS gotchas and accounting
My current phone (Note 2) is flat busted. Doesn't relay voice at all any more. IP and texting is fine.

I am with Sprint and I am wiling to change carriers, so ATT or Verizon. There is no TMobile near me.

Am I a fool for wanting to get into a Nokia 1520 at this moment?

kazinova

What the hell is going on at iVerge, this article is confusing and weird...

I am with Sprint and I am wiling to change carriers, so ATT or Verizon. There is no TMobile near me.

Is there a 1520 model that works on Sprint? I think it's the best bet Americans have on a Threshold compatible phone. I'm all in on one, so I guess that's one vote 'yea' on Issue 1520?

n64coder

But, now after 5 days with my Lumia 1020 and WP8.1, I don’t think I like Windows Phone all that much. I guess I went into it with wrong expectations, chief among them that it would be much like Windows 8 Metro.

You listed a few reasons why you don't like WP. Is there anything you found that has been an improvement over your previous phone which is an Android? I like to hear the pluses & minuses of the different OSes.

RayStorm

You listed a few reasons why you don't like WP. Is there anything you found that has been an improvement over your previous phone which is an Android? I like to hear the pluses & minuses of the different OSes.

As of right now, and that might change with further use, aside from the Metro tiles, and perhaps a slightly snappier feeling when interacting with the phone, I don't think there is anything inherently linked with WP I prefer.

I will probably come to appreciate the Nokia offline navigation once again (as I did with my Symbian powered Nokia 5230). I think I will be able to appreciate the camera and the camera apps a bit more in time. I love the dedicated shutter button of the 1020 with half press to focus/full press to shoot.

As of right now I think it was a mistake for me to switch to WP. Further I think, despite my belief of having quite logical wishes and desires on how certain things ought to work, I'm rather alone with them and hence I need a rather freely configurable platform with many users in hopes that someone programs an app to give me the functionality I seek.

Sordid

Just installing dev preview 8.10.14176.243 on my 920. Is this the one that lets us get Cyan?

Edit: Probably not, my missus' HTC 8X is finally getting another dev preview update too :eek:

Sordid

My update included Cyan \o/ dev preview UK CV 920 here.

Edit: Another update just popped up after Cyan installed. 8.10.12400.899, 8.10.14176.243, 8.10.14147.180 and 8.10.14157.200 combined. Weird! Maybe Cyan overwrote the previous dev preview updates?

NeOak

I'm a big doofy dumb dumb who wanted an iPhone 6 or Plus, but after not being able to buy one and then seeing the high-larious issues with software updates I am looking at Windows phone. Couple things:

I am a bit of a Microsoft mark - Surface Pro 3 and Xbox 360/One fan so I am used to MS gotchas and accounting
My current phone (Note 2) is flat busted. Doesn't relay voice at all any more. IP and texting is fine.

If you want the 1520, go for it. The 1525 is rumored to use the Snapdragon 801, but who knows. You don't lose that much for using the 800.

kharma45

Google's Maps are absolute piss without a data connection.

That is all.

I miss more of WP8.1's features as time goes on...

KageMaru

Some info about the update:

Build 8.10.14176 starts rolling today to developer preview participants, and provides a bunch of performance improvements and general fixes. One of the important fixes addresses an issue some folks were seeing during the update process – the 80188308 error – which resulted from running out of storage space in the system partition during update. We expect this fix to solve the update issue for most users.

If you have a Nokia Lumia device and are still running into this error with the latest update, you can use the Nokia Software Recovery tool to reset your device.

Or, if you are on a phone with lower storage capacity you may also see an out of storage error that is different than the one above. Please follow the Make room on my phone to update it article.

We’re also pleased to announce that HTC devices (The HTC Windows Phone 8X and 8S) will now be able to get the Windows Phone 8.1 Update with this new update.

Finally, we know that many of you Lumia users on Developer Preview have been patiently waiting for the Lumia Cyan update. We started delivering the Cyan update to a few Lumia devices a few weeks ago, and are targeting a whole lot more starting today. We’ll continue to add more Lumia devices every couple of days over the coming weeks until we bring everyone up to the latest.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ate-for-windows-phone-preview-for-developers/

Hopefully the Icon is one of the phones added to receive Cyan soon.

Your basically looking at the 1520 if you go with AT&T or the Icon if you go with Verizon. Those are what I consider the best phones for the platform. They may not be bleeding edge in all respects, but they should still keep you happy for a couple years IMO.

But I keep hearing mumblings of a 1525. Everything is conjecture, but I'd hate to invest now and miss on new features.

It sounds like the 1525 was a false rumor. We haven't heard anything new recently and I question if the 801 chip would really be that much of an improvement when the 1520 already performs great and has excellent battery life.

KageMaru

Sticking to those chumps who think that their $1,300 phone shouldn't bend (
or make calls
).

Seriously they are now in the pocketnow territory.

What's wrong with pocketnow? Michael Fisher and Taylor Martin seem to do a good job being objective. Phone Arena is the site I recently stopped going to. That site is horrible.

8.1 is great. Live folders are neat. Haven't played with Cortana yet.

Any other notable changes? I notice Music is now a Live Tile but it just displays the artist name scrolling across the tile?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Some info about the update:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ate-for-windows-phone-preview-for-developers/

Hopefully the Icon is one of the phones added to receive Cyan soon.

Your basically looking at the 1520 if you go with AT&T or the Icon if you go with Verizon. Those are what I consider the best phones for the platform. They may not be bleeding edge in all respects, but they should still keep you happy for a couple years IMO.

It sounds like the 1525 was a false rumor. We haven't heard anything new recently and I question if the 801 chip would really be that much of an improvement when the 1520 already performs great and has excellent battery life.
Awesome! I'm on black, thanks for the direction. I will happily guinea pig my phone to see if I get cyan.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
8.1 is great. Live folders are neat. Haven't played with Cortana yet.

Any other notable changes? I notice Music is now a Live Tile but it just displays the artist name scrolling across the tile?

Make sure you use the US Cortana. Canada is still a bit gimped. You can follow you favorite hockey team with Cortana :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sticking to those chumps who think that their $1,300 phone shouldn't bend (
or make calls
).

Seriously they are now in the pocketnow territory.

It's like someone personally insulted the writer when they lodged a complaint against the durability of the iPhone. Compare that with the Verge article they posted mocking the lumia cat video before they realized it wasn't actually made by Microsoft. The backtracking on that one was hilarious.

kazinova

I'm on Cyan on an AT&T Lumia 920.

What is going on? Is the world ending? Am I dreaming?

Of course I'm getting my 1520 tomorrow, just in time to invalidate it. It'll even be a functional one this time just to spite me.

RayStorm

Quick question, Live Folders are -as of right now- only on some developer preview version and not the regularly available 8.1 Cyan update (in Europe)?

One more thing: I do like double tap to wake the phone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Quick question, Live Folders are -as of right now- only on some developer preview version and not the regularly available 8.1 Cyan update (in Europe)?

One more thing: I do like double tap to wake the phone.
Cyan is Firmware, not an OS update.

Windows Phone 8.1 is just now rolling out to Various Windows Phones through Carriers. And has been available through the Developer Preview since July. That brought Cortana, Action Center etc.
Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 brought Live Folders among other things. That has been available though the dev preview since early august.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/get-windows-phone-81-soon-possible

It's like someone personally insulted the writer when they lodged a complaint against the durability of the iPhone. Compare that with the Verge article they posted mocking the lumia cat video before they realized it wasn't actually made by Microsoft. The backtracking on that one was hilarious.

The comment section on that Microsoft Cats is hilarious. I like how the editor claim he does not hate Microsoft because he use Windows computer to play game then someone said what else are you going to use to play game, a Mac? I almost spit out my drink.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As of right now, and that might change with further use, aside from the Metro tiles, and perhaps a slightly snappier feeling when interacting with the phone, I don't think there is anything inherently linked with WP I prefer.

I will probably come to appreciate the Nokia offline navigation once again (as I did with my Symbian powered Nokia 5230). I think I will be able to appreciate the camera and the camera apps a bit more in time. I love the dedicated shutter button of the 1020 with half press to focus/full press to shoot.

As of right now I think it was a mistake for me to switch to WP. Further I think, despite my belief of having quite logical wishes and desires on how certain things ought to work, I'm rather alone with them and hence I need a rather freely configurable platform with many users in hopes that someone programs an app to give me the functionality I seek.

Honestly, you sound like you need some of the power features and tweaking that you'd get from android. what I like about WP is that it gives me 95% of what I'd want without the tweaking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Navigation really hammered the battery. Just did a 90 minute drive from 100% charge and it's down to 77%. And that is with it connected to the car USB for charging (probably only 500ma but still)

derFeef

Navigation really hammered the battery. Just did a 90 minute drive from 100% charge and it's down to 77%. And that is with it connected to the car USB for charging (probably only 500ma but still)

With Here Drive+? I always download/update the maps beforehand - that helps a lot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Anything related to the GPS runs a train on the battery. Tinder's battery usage is particularly grotesque.

Edit: OH MY GOD, 6TIN FINALLY GOT ACTUAL NOTIFICATIONS FOR MATCHES.

I finally got my 930.

Even before starting it up for the first time, I knew I was in for a treat, if only because the phone feels so good and the display's "off" is blacker than the black bezel itself.

Now to wait for it to finish installing pre-installed apps and update stuff, then I'll move over things...

RayStorm

Honestly, you sound like you need some of the power features and tweaking that you'd get from android. what I like about WP is that it gives me 95% of what I'd want without the tweaking.

Yep, it sure does sound like that. Although I didn't quite expect the severity of it beforehand. I think I like to believe that my usage/expected behavior is so logical that anybody would want it and hence would be implemented in well rounded software. But either I am actually an outlier or there is not much software that is well made. Perhaps both. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Serious question: is the Verge going to ignore the iPhone bending situation other than the satirical article that made fun of the people complaining? Would they do the same if it was a Samsung, HTC, or Microsoft flagship phone?

Serious question: is the Verge going to ignore the iPhone bending situation other than the satirical article that made fun of the people complaining? Would they do the same if it was a Samsung, HTC, or Microsoft flagship phone?
They won't comment on it until Apple responds to it first.

Top Bottom