• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

jagowar

Serious question: is the Verge going to ignore the iPhone bending situation other than the satirical article that made fun of the people complaining? Would they do the same if it was a Samsung, HTC, or Microsoft flagship phone?

It is kinda funny.... I can already see it they are going to choose now to become "integrity" based journalists and have a "higher standard". You can almost see the article already.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Serious question: is the Verge going to ignore the iPhone bending situation other than the satirical article that made fun of the people complaining? Would they do the same if it was a Samsung, HTC, or Microsoft flagship phone?

Well you know its only like 10 users out of 10 million so its not a big deal!!

MCD

ElNino

That's crazy. That's a huge reason to own a windows phone. Here Maps going away would be disastrous.
I don't think HERE Maps will be going away from WP, just that they are going to also be supporting iOS and Android.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what they said they would do with it back when MS was purchasing Nokia, so this shouldn't be surprising.

jagowar

It's not really going away, just going to android/ios which isn't that big of a shock considering they have no more loyalty to ms anymore. As long as the development doesn't cease its not a bad thing.

Now with that said if there was any restrictions on ms developing turn by turn nav that should be gone and I would expect to see them add capabilities to bing maps.

MCD

Here maps last update: April 2014.

And now they are winding down dev...next update will be in 2016.

If they can shill 2.5 fucking billion for Minecraft, surely a competent mapping solution is worth at least a fucking million or two.

ElNino

Here maps last update: April 2014.

And now they are winding down dev...next update will be in 2016.

If they can shill 2.5 fucking billion for Minecraft, surely a competent mapping solution is worth at least a fucking million or two.
I would think that the map updates would not be specific to any platform, so any map updates done should work for all. The clients themselves might be different, but I don't see why they would make the data platform specific.

MCD

I would think that the map updates would not be specific to any platform, so any map updates done should work for all. The clients themselves might be different, but I don't see why they would make the data platform specific.

The maps, yes. But the apps need updating. For example, Here Drive favorites list is still not organized like Here Maps.

No transparent tiles either.

ElNino

The maps, yes. But the apps need updating. For example, Here Drive favorites list is still not organized like Here Maps.

No transparent tiles either.
If transparent tiles is our biggest concern, then I think I'll be alright. ;-)

As long at the maps stay updated, and the clients receive whatever necessary updates they need (I see no reason why they wouldn't) then I don't think it matters if they are also making apps for the other guys.

The comment section on that Microsoft Cats is hilarious. I like how the editor claim he does not hate Microsoft because he use Windows computer to play game then someone said what else are you going to use to play game, a Mac? I almost spit out my drink.

"Some of my best friends use Windows!"

Make sure you use the US Cortana. Canada is still a bit gimped. You can follow you favorite hockey team with Cortana :)

Do I just change my region to US?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hopefully this is the last nail in windows phone's coffin. See y'all on the other side.

If I can get Cortana, the keyboard, the podcast app, and tighter onedrive integration on other platforms, I think I'd be Ok. Oh, and I'd want a lumia android phone for dat camera. We already have bing, office, and the other MS services I use on the other platforms. They can just focus on improving Xbox music and the apps on other platforms. A lumia flagship running android and with tight MS services integration would be the best smartphone on the planet IMO. Full access to MS and Google services, the play store, and beautiful, powerful hardware. Again, I'm counting on Cortana being available, it's better than Google now.

Ape

Banned
Microsoft needs to take their own mapping solutions more seriously anyway. This should be the kick in the ass they needed.

ibjeXOqwMGINqK.png

Seems to appear when data is being used.

Yeah, the region and language should be US. One caveat though is if you want to buy something you need to switch back to Canada. Not really a big deal though.

"I'm afraid I'm not available to help in your region with the language you've chosen."

I think it worked though since it says BETA at the top instead of ALPHA (it's Alpha in Canada).

Seems that I can't change the phone language to US English.

EDIT: Did some Googling, seems like it's an HTC issue (no US English language in non-US phones). Guess I'm stuck with Alpha.

ElNino

It DOES indicate network activity. And, yeah, came with the official Cyan release.
I don't think it came with Cyan, but with 8.1 Update 1 I believe. I've had the arrows indicating network activity for a while now on DP, but I didn't get Cyan until yesterday when I flashed the phone with the Nokia tool.

Flipboard is out.
What is big deal with Flipboard? I just tried it and will probably delete it by the end of the day based on my (admittedly short) first impressions. Compared to other news aggregation apps WP has (Weave, Nextgen Reader, etc), I think Flipboard is a big step backwards.

Magni

I don't think it came with Cyan, but with 8.1 Update 1 I believe. I've had the arrows indicating network activity for a while now on DP, but I didn't get Cyan until yesterday when I flashed the phone with the Nokia tool.

I've never seen it on my 8.1.1/Black 820 or 521 though.

Definitely came with Cyan, I just got the update earlier today and noticed the arrow immediately.

ElNino

It's carrier dependant.

Cyan implemented it.
Except that I (and I'm pretty sure others in this thread at the time) got the network indicator arrows long before I got Cyan on my 1020.

According the Windows Phone page here,
Depending on your mobile operator, you might not see this icon when a WiFi connection is being used to transfer data. This icon only appears on phones that have Windows Phone software version 8.0.10501.127 or later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in the queue for EGX this morning, the guy next to me had a 1520, and the guy in front a 925. I thought I was in some kind of parallel universe :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Except that I (and I'm pretty sure others in this thread at the time) got the network indicator arrows long before I got Cyan on my 1020.

According the Windows Phone page here,

I don't have cyan yet, but I get the arrow over WiFi and Cell signal when data is transferring.

f0lken

WPCentral said:
Update 3: So that Flipboard app in the Windows Phone Store? Apparently it's not the official release and instead was an early, incomplete build. That's what the Flipboard team is saying on Twitter. So hold off any final judgments until Flipboard officially releases for Windows Phone. Just keep in mind, it was announced 441 days ago... [Source: @FlipboardCM]

I was wondering why it looked and behave more like a beta than a final release. Come on Flipboard, the Windows 8 version is already good, make it a universal app :mad:

Top Bottom