• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

Uh, dumb question:

Deleting pics on my phone won't affect the auto-uploaded copies on OneDrive in any way, right?

Almost got my phone filled up and I wanna investigate those claims of improved performance, so I'm gonna go on a deletion spree...

It's not a 1020, is it? Either way you might want to plug it into a PC and transfer all the pictures over as an additional backup.

hwalker84

I need (actually want) new Hero tier Lumia's so bad!!! Just put my SIM back in my 1020 and it's so definitely feels like a generation behind my 1520. Gotta send this thing back again.

Milchjon

Seems like the auto upload is somewhat spotty and I only bothered to check after I already deleted a bunch. Oh well, not much of value lost.

Time to do a full backup first.

ElNino

Seems like the auto upload is somewhat spotty and I only bothered to check after I already deleted a bunch. Oh well, not much of value lost.

Hmm, that's interesting. I just reset my 1020 and I've never used photo backup before; I just transfer photos in bulk over to my NAS but I was going to try the auto backup setting.

If it isn't that reliable, I will continue to do it the manual way.

Also, for what it's worth my 1020 was running noticeable worse than usual lately. I wasn't close at all to being out of space (~12 GB free) but I did have a few GB worth of photos. After the hard reset and re-updating to DP/Cyan, the phone has been running much better for the last couple of days.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

if you're set to upload "high quality" it only uploads those when you are on Wifi.

f0lken

MS gives us MKV support on Xbox One, and .srt subtitles support on Xbox Video for WP but not both on any platform -__________-

I do have it set to high quality, but it's missing photos from yesterday and I was at home pretty much all day today. Also from last Friday.

That's weird my photos upload almost instantly, and I have never missed any. Sometimes I even have to manually delete photos from OneDrive because there are a lot that I don't like and got uploaded.

Heretic

Arrow out mean data is being upload or send, arrow down mean you are downloading data. It just indicator to let you know that you are using data.

Incorrect. You'll never see an arrow down. Arrow up means data is being sent to the NSA. The NSA will never send to your phone.

Milchjon

Still pretty impressed by the sound quality of the video recording on my 920. Went to a metal concert, and the videos are pretty clean sounding.

Exactly the reason why I can't sell my 1020. Video quality is amazing and the money I would get selling the phone would be far less than the cost of a video camera that can produce the same or better video quality.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Uh, dumb question:

Deleting pics on my phone won't affect the auto-uploaded copies on OneDrive in any way, right?

Almost got my phone filled up and I wanna investigate those claims of improved performance, so I'm gonna go on a deletion spree...

Related question. How do I get onedrive folders to sync back to my PC? Anything I put in my PC's onedrive folders gets synced to the cloud, but some photos I uploaded from elsewhere aren't coming back down to my PC.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hate asking about WP in stores. They always look at you like something is wrong with you. Also they generally know fuck all so I don't know why I bother.

ElNino

I hate asking about WP in stores. They always look at you like something is wrong with you. Also they generally know fuck all so I don't know why I bother.
I remember when I went into the Rogers store to get my Samsung Focus and the guy didn't know anything about it. And being Canada, they always try to "up sell" you on the latest BlackBerry instead.

n64coder

Related question. How do I get onedrive folders to sync back to my PC? Anything I put in my PC's onedrive folders gets synced to the cloud, but some photos I uploaded from elsewhere aren't coming back down to my PC.

Which version of Windows are you running? You need to enable in the sync settings for 8.1 which is what I have.

Okay, so I finally got my Icon this Tuesday. Loving it so far. Great picture quality. Zoom is fantastic. Tonight I took some videos of a few bands (one that I have to play with tomorrow, so I was scouting them out). The audio quality is fantastic! I've never heard a smartphone have such clear, precise audio, especially of a live band. It is always blown out, garbled and distorted. I was really close to the band, and they were loud! The noise cancelation is spectacular. But the video quality wasn't great. Mostly cause the rooms weren't lit very well, and I wasn't going to have the flash blaring brightly in the performers faces the entire night. There aren't nearly as many options to edit the video as still pics, which is a shame. Will the Lumia Cyan update do anything for the quality of the video recording?

kharma45

Okay, so I finally got my Icon this Tuesday. Loving it so far. Great picture quality. Zoom is fantastic. Tonight I took some videos of a few bands (one that I have to play with tomorrow, so I was scouting them out). The audio quality is fantastic! I've never heard a smartphone have such clear, precise audio, especially of a live band. It is always blown out, garbled and distorted. I was really close to the band, and they were loud! The noise cancelation is spectacular. But the video quality wasn't great. Mostly cause the rooms weren't lit very well, and I wasn't going to have the flash blaring brightly in the performers faces the entire night. There aren't nearly as many options to edit the video as still pics, which is a shame. Will the Lumia Cyan update do anything for the quality of the video recording?

Cyan doesn't, Denim hopefully will.

Magni

Fuck. this. shit.

My 820 has been a brick since the end of August because it won't charge anymore. It was a dev device that I got for free and I had my 521 from before so I just switched back to that while waiting for the new phones (that I knew were being announced just ten days later and that I naively assumed I would be able to by within two weeks).

Well guess, what, my 521 is now in the same situation, it won't fucking charge, no matter the charger I use. It'll charge for a split second and then stop, the same exact thing as my 820 just over a month ago! And I still can't buy my orange Lumia 830 for T-Mo bands!

Fuck :(

Fuck. this. shit.

My 820 has been a brick since the end of August because it won't charge anymore. It was a dev device that I got for free and I had my 521 from before so I just switched back to that while waiting for the new phones (that I knew were being announced just ten days later and that I naively assumed I would be able to by within two weeks).

Well guess, what, my 521 is now in the same situation, it won't fucking charge, no matter the charger I use. It'll charge for a split second and then stop, the same exact thing as my 820 just over a month ago! And I still can't buy my orange Lumia 830 for T-Mo bands!

Buy a wireless charging backplate for your 820.

Fuck. this. shit.

Try holding volume up while booting while connected via USB. That should take you to the 'flashing page'. It's got a lightning bolt and a gear. Leave it charging while on that page. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

J. Bravo

what are some good games? i have gba and gbc emulators downloaded as well, but it's hard for me to go back and play older pokemons. so any suggestions? roms or stuff on the app store.

dLMN8R

Terraria is pretty great on Windows Phone. Controls better than I thought it would, and the inventory/crafting UI is actually better than PC in some ways. I've played it for 1-2 hours total and can't really tell how it'll scale into more advanced weapons and such, but I think it's worth the $5.

I also got the new Asphalt Overdrive. Same old F2P and energy mechanics, but it's decent. Played it for around an hour before hitting a F2P wall, and I'll probably continue playing it when the energy recharges.

Other noteworthy games you should check out:
  • Wordament
  • Snap Attack
  • Microsoft's games (solitare, mhjong, minesweeper, etc.)
  • Shoggoth Rising

Tons of others too of course, games is by far the strongest part of the Windows Phone app store. 8.1's recommendation engine works really well too in my experience.

bkw

For HTC 8x users here, has it been generally issue free to be on the dev preview? I've read that some people have issues but I wonder if that's just a vocal minority. Getting tired of waiting for an official update that may or may not come.

Razdek

Banned
For HTC 8x users here, has it been generally issue free to be on the dev preview? I've read that some people have issues but I wonder if that's just a vocal minority. Getting tired of waiting for an official update that may or may not come.

I just updated mine to the latest version and now I can't get data on my phone but phone calls work.

Asphalt Overdrive is not very responsive, at least on my phone. If you're making such a simple game you would think they would be able to get that right.

I just recommended my brother a 520 and he just ordered it. I know the phone is slow in the spec departments, but this is his first smartphone and he has windows 8.1 on his laptop. He paid $89 on it. He was using one of those custom OS phones that didn't even have a popular OS, just basic. He really just wanted internet, maps, and music and it has everything and expandable storage.

Do any of you have a Lumia 520? What do you think of it?

I just recommended my brother a 520 and he just ordered it. I know the phone is slow in the spec departments, but this is his first smartphone and he has windows 8.1 on his laptop. He paid $89 on it. He was using one of those custom OS phones that didn't even have a popular OS, just basic. He really just wanted internet, maps, and music and it has everything and expandable storage.

Do any of you have a Lumia 520? What do you think of it?

Is that the T-Mobile variant? My father and a friend of his had one that looks similar to it that had connectivity issues on T-Mobile's network. Not sure if those same issues are with other carriers, though.

Unrelated, but is there any decent cheap off-contract Windows Phone that would be good for developing purposes that you guys could recommend? I picked up a Nexus 5/7 for Android development and was looking for a WP to do the same with. Cellular doesn't matter since it wouldn't be used for calling.

EDIT: Forgot to note if possible I'd like to get one that's semi-future proofed and had that Cortana feature.

EDIT 2: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LIWB34Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking at that, it says contract but I assume you can just remove the SIM card and it'd work fine, right? My father has that phone now and it seems to work reasonably well. Thoughts?

Magni

^^^ The 521 is the T-Mo variant, I've had some connectivity issues where no calls/texts will come in, very rarely but it's frustrating when you don't notice it for six hours. Restarting it has always solved the problem. As for your second question, what's your budget?

@Allez Phill: I have a 521 which AFAIK is basically a 520. $89 seems a bit expensive for it in September 2014, but it's still a pretty good deal.

---

Thanks for the help lastflowers, my 521 seems to be charging again, but still nothing for the 820.

NeOak

Is that the T-Mobile variant? My father and a friend of his had one that looks similar to it that had connectivity issues on T-Mobile's network. Not sure if those same issues are with other carriers, though.

Unrelated, but is there any decent cheap off-contract Windows Phone that would be good for developing purposes that you guys could recommend? I picked up a Nexus 5/7 for Android development and was looking for a WP to do the same with. Cellular doesn't matter since it wouldn't be used for calling.

EDIT: Forgot to note if possible I'd like to get one that's semi-future proofed and had that Cortana feature.

EDIT 2: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LIWB34Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looking at that, it says contract but I assume you can just remove the SIM card and it'd work fine, right? My father has that phone now and it seems to work reasonably well. Thoughts?

The 520 seems to be enough for your purposes. And it's less than 50 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E45043A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

AT&T enabled the Cyan update and 8.1. You can get 8.1U1 with the dev program.

Magni

If you want a phone for purely dev work and aren't going to use a celular network, don't buy a carrier-branded phone. MS is slow enough with updates, don't add a carrier to the mix.

@Allez Phill: I have a 521 which AFAIK is basically a 520. $89 seems a bit expensive for it in September 2014, but it's still a pretty good deal.

He bought it unlocked, trust me though, he'll be happy with the basics of a smart phone. Having internet will make the things he does on a daily basis more efficient like online shopping. I may drop a bit of money on a new WP though I'm leaning towards an Android device. I currently own a HTC Titan running WP 7.5. The OS makes me appreciate the updates and changes in 8.1 after using my dads 1020... 7.5 lacks so many basic things.

ashdcuk

Neo Member
Question for Windows Phone GAF:

I've currently got a Lumia 900 on Windows Phone 7 - for my replacement I'm pretty sure I want another Lumia.
The 930/ Icon looks great and I'm leaning towards that, but if the 1020's replacement right now was out I'd probably get that. I keep hearing conflicting things about if/when it might come out.

The 930 seems like a big step up from the 900, especially in camera quality. Is the (possible) 1030 worth holding out for? I mean, how big is the step up from 930 to 1020?
I'm so over due a new phone, a little wait doesn't seem that bad but if we're talking 2015 then I'll probably just get a 930 now

PG2G

I've currently got a Lumia 900 on Windows Phone 7 - for my replacement I'm pretty sure I want another Lumia.
The 930/ Icon looks great and I'm leaning towards that, but if the 1020's replacement right now was out I'd probably get that. I keep hearing conflicting things about if/when it might come out.

The 930 seems like a big step up from the 900, especially in camera quality. Is the (possible) 1030 worth holding out for? I mean, how big is the step up from 930 to 1020?
I'm so over due a new phone, a little wait doesn't seem that bad but if we're talking 2015 then I'll probably just get a 930 now

A new 10XX phone is 100% not coming in 2014. Im sure you'll be extremely happy with the 930, i'd switch from 1020 to 930 in a heartbeat if it was available in the US

I would wait until November honestly. A-lot of new tech will be announced and Black Friday will make some phones dirt cheap.

^^ The 930 is a solid phone.

NeOak

Go for the 930. You're in for a treat and you're still getting a 20MP camera.

JaggedSac

I joined as well. I love the game but I hate getting attacked so much. Every time I check in I have been attacked and lost stuff. I am now dumping everything into troops and towers just so people will stop taking all my stuff.

Do the campaign missions too. Tons or resources from those.

kazinova

Do the campaign missions too. Tons or resources from those.

Has anyone figured out a good defensive arrangement? I wrapped a wall around the base of my keep and I'm going to create an outer ring (Called wall maria) when I upgrade my keep.

I still lose about 50% of the time.

Top Bottom