• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Magni

^^^: it'll be released after BUILD 2015 (April), so I don't think they would announce any new phones until MWC at the very earliest.

10:45:11 AM PDT
Q: You mentioned screens ranging from 4 inches to 80 inches. Is Windows 10 the next version of the phone operating system too?

10:45:13 AM PDT
A: Yes.

Holy shit, I completely missed the Windows announcement. I know it's bad with work when I miss any major tech announcement.

nv9hR03.gif

And what?! Windows 10? Goddamit, I need to read some stories.

e: No, I need to get home first. Gah.

kazinova

I'm pretty impressed with the 7/8.1 blend that 10 ended up being. Mostly stuff we already saw leaked. Love the thought of my phone and computer running the same OS.

1520, please run Windows 10...please?

Magni

In other news, it's the last day of September, and still no concrete news on availability and pricing for the 735/830 in the US and Canada. So much for MS being a US-first/only company.

In other news, it's the last day of September, and still no concrete news on availability and pricing for the 735/830 in the US and Canada. So much for MS being a US-first/only company.

"omg, so many features are US only. MS sucks!"
"omg, phones aren't coming to the US first. MS sucks!"

Nero3000

Surprised they didn't talk about the fundamental of Windows 10 (higher performance, lower start processes, etc.)

lol @ verge

old windows sucks, the should re do it from scratch
new windows sucks, they should go back to the old one
newer windows sucks because they used the old one

kharma45

Thanks, I downloaded it. Runs decent, I'd need to be in the mainland to test out the driving though, it still has crap maps for where I live.

Tad sluggish at times for me on my OPO but it'll likely be better by a full release. Nicer design than the WP one. I like the transition when you slide from the left.

So with the unified store, they just have to announce that Silverlight Apps will be supported, this way they can put all 300,000+ WP Apps on this unified store. It would Instantly make the ecosystem that much better because we would suddenly hit a unified total of 500,000+

MCD

Surprised they didn't talk about the fundamental of Windows 10 (higher performance, lower start processes, etc.)

lol @ verge

old windows sucks, the should re do it from scratch
new windows sucks, they should go back to the old one
newer windows sucks because they used the old one

"Designing a new release of a product already used by a billion people in a billion different ways is, as we say, like ordering pizza for a billion people."

Steven Sinofsky, former president of Windows.

KageMaru

I'm guessing the main reason to call it Windows 10 is to put more distance between this OS and Windows 8? Can't think of any other reason to skip a number.

I'm pretty impressed with the 7/8.1 blend that 10 ended up being. Mostly stuff we already saw leaked. Love the thought of my phone and computer running the same OS.

1520, please run Windows 10...please?

I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed that any device that supports 8.1 now will receive the next major update. Only difference is every new feature won't be supported on every phone, but I think it's safe to assume the 1520, 930/Icon, and other newer phones will support most, if not all of the features.

MCD

I'm guessing the main reason to call it Windows 10 is to put more distance between this OS and Windows 8? Can't think of any other reason to skip a number.

Why "Windows 10"? Windows 9 was the "natural" name for this release, Terry Myerson said, and was indeed the original name. But after joking about a few fake names—like Windows One—he noted that this isn't an incremental release. It's a major new Windows that will run on everything from headless Internet of Things devices to phones to tablets to PCs to the Xbox to the cloud. They really wanted to segregate it from current Windows versions.

http://winsupersite.com/windows/microsoft-announces-windows-10

PG2G

Will the 930 support Windows (phone) 10?

They have guaranteed 18 months of updates on devices so you should be good since the 930 is brand new. It will probably also be the top of the line device by the time WP10 hits beta, since I believe BUILD will be in April.

If WP10 supports snapping and is more friendly to large screen phones (like iOS8 is with landscape everything) I'm totally getting a phablet

Totakeke

Today I found out that I have $200 in bills of international roaming charges from my 925 because apparently it was active the whole 2 weeks I was overseas. I never changed data roaming settings (it's off) and I never got email or notifications from the internet while I was outside. Heck, if I knew I had data roaming my life would have been a lot easier. I always hate that there's no way to dispute these stuffs so you're basically just forced to eat whatever charges they put on you.

royalan

Can someone explain to me the logic behind killing off Bing in an attempt to revive fucking MSN? Because I don't get it. It's not like MSN was a raging success.

MS' consistent failure to recognize when one of their brands has gone toxic continues to be one of the biggest things holding them back (seriously, STOP flaunting Internet Explorer as though people will EVER view it as a positive. That brand is so toxic that even though the browser's actually GOOD now just hearing the name "Internet Explorer" is enough to turn stomachs).

PG2G

They haven't really killed off Bing, they just stopped throwing its name in things completely unrelated to search. I dont know about MSN but I guess it has always been a Yahoo style portal so it kinda makes sense.

Totakeke

Actually the more I think about it the more improbable that I was actually using data roaming. I was in airports and I couldn't use WhatsApp when I didn't have WiFi signal and I had to go hunt for WiFi hotspots to continue using it. What the hell was all that for if I'm still being charged for data roaming?

hwalker84

Can someone explain to me the logic behind killing off Bing in an attempt to revive fucking MSN? Because I don't get it. It's not like MSN was a raging success.

MS' consistent failure to recognize when one of their brands has gone toxic continues to be one of the biggest things holding them back (seriously, STOP flaunting Internet Explorer as though people will EVER view it as a positive. That brand is so toxic that even though the browser's actually GOOD now just hearing the name "Internet Explorer" is enough to turn stomachs).

Clinging to brands that should've been dropped.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

They haven't really killed off Bing, they just stopped throwing its name in things completely unrelated to search. I dont know about MSN but I guess it has always been a Yahoo style portal so it kinda makes sense.
Isn't MSN pretty popular overseas?

n64coder

Did anyone see the OneDrive - free extra 15gb for using camera backup thread? If you have auto backup of pictures to onedrive enabled, you'll get 15GB extra space for OneDrive. I'm relatively new to OneDrive so it's a nice bonus for me. I currently have 50GB of space (15GB initial, 20GB enthusiast bonus, 15GB camera bonus).

I already had camera backup enabled so I didn't have to do anything else to get the bonus. It just showed up as increased space.

dLMN8R

They're not "reviving" MSN". MSN has 400 million active users. 100 million of those are in the United States.

It's a larger brand than Bing, especially overseas where Bing has (as we all know) been severely lacking.

It makes sense for MSN to be the aggregation brand for various news and similar services. It never really made sense for those things to be branded Bing considering that MSN has always been the back-end for those services anyway.

The TechCrunch article about this rebrand was one of the most condescending things I've ever read. Some stupid shit about how "it's easy to forget just how large middle america is". Really? Because a third of the country you live in happens to use MSN all the time, you assume they're all "middle america"? Or are they denigrating "middle america" because their enlightened silicon valley bubble can't imagine a world in which it's popular? Ugh.

Funny enough, I only saw that article on TechCrunch because Cortana recommended it on my phone :-x

Wow, I had sent my 1020 in for repairs due to focusing issues. It was still in warranty. Not only did they fix my camera but replaces the entire housing. So now I have a mint condition 1020 in my hands.

They're not "reviving" MSN". MSN has 400 million active users. 100 million of those are in the United States.

It's a larger brand than Bing, especially overseas where Bing has (as we all know) been severely lacking.

It makes sense for MSN to be the aggregation brand for various news and similar services. It never really made sense for those things to be branded Bing considering that MSN has always been the back-end for those services anyway.

The TechCrunch article about this rebrand was one of the most condescending things I've ever read. Some stupid shit about how "it's easy to forget just how large middle america is". Really? Because a third of the country you live in happens to use MSN all the time, you assume they're all "middle america"? Or are they denigrating "middle america" because their enlightened silicon valley bubble can't imagine a world in which it's popular? Ugh.

Funny enough, I only saw that article on TechCrunch because Cortana recommended it on my phone :-x

I think its long overdue. I am hoping next step is to removed all the news stuff they cram into bing page. When bing team was doing feedback on their portal many many years ago, I ask them to keep search portal clean but apparently that is not on the agenda. I hope with MSN being brand as news portal they will hopefully return bing to what it should be a search engine.

Top Bottom