• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

f0lken

I think (hope) that every 1GB+ phone will get 10.

Also I find it amazing that most people are really really hung up on the whole 10 name, I don't even know what would they talk about if it were called 9 as expected lol

Nero3000

I think (hope) that every 1GB+ phone will get 10.

Also I find it amazing that most people are really really hung up on the whole 10 name, I don't even know what would they talk about if it were called 9 as expected lol

Either how they stole mission control or how crap windows 8 was or how they are reversing their direction.

My only gripe at the moment, is that the swipe form the left shows the task view. Something unintuitive, swipe from left -> show something at the bottom. I know its very likely to change.

When might the latest batch of phones be revealed? Want something to replace my 980 but I'm not going to get the 1520 when it's almost a year old at this point.

730/830 might be the only phones we get this year. MS probably wants to release a flagship and a slew of other phones with the release of Windows 10.

so yeah, it will be a while. get the 1520 to hold you over, they're only $250-350 on ebay. it's got the specs to surely handle Windows 10 too.

Heretic

They're not "reviving" MSN". MSN has 400 million active users. 100 million of those are in the United States.

It's a larger brand than Bing, especially overseas where Bing has (as we all know) been severely lacking.

It makes sense for MSN to be the aggregation brand for various news and similar services. It never really made sense for those things to be branded Bing considering that MSN has always been the back-end for those services anyway.

The TechCrunch article about this rebrand was one of the most condescending things I've ever read. Some stupid shit about how "it's easy to forget just how large middle america is". Really? Because a third of the country you live in happens to use MSN all the time, you assume they're all "middle america"? Or are they denigrating "middle america" because their enlightened silicon valley bubble can't imagine a world in which it's popular? Ugh.

Funny enough, I only saw that article on TechCrunch because Cortana recommended it on my phone :-x

Are they the ones that had the twi.tv or whatever it was yesterday during the Windows conference? Holy shit were they talking trash before the show started.

n64coder

I think its long overdue. I am hoping next step is to removed all the news stuff they cram into bing page. When bing team was doing feedback on their portal many many years ago, I ask them to keep search portal clean but apparently that is not on the agenda. I hope with MSN being brand as news portal they will hopefully return bing to what it should be a search engine.

I actually like the look of the page. It seems well layed out to me. I do like the ability to see the hot stories on the bottom. Having a minimalist page was an advantage in the mid 90s when you had to deal with slow connections. If I just want to search, I just type it in my browser address bar but if I want to look at a cool image or news stories, I bring up the bing page.

I liked it so much that I installed the bing desktop.

Tell you what, the new MSN homepage is pretty cool.

I wish they could somehow incorporate the Bing image of the day.

Agreed.

dLMN8R

If you have a Windows 7 PC, you can now upgrade it to Windows 10 tech preview straight through Windows Update. All you need is a small prerequisite first from preview.windows.com

If you have a Windows 7 PC, you can now upgrade it to Windows 10 tech preview straight through Windows Update. All you need is a small prerequisite first from preview.windows.com

I am so happy right now. I never upgraded my PC to windows 8 but I really wanted to. Cant wait to try out 10, it looks fantastic.

Magni

The 830 is supposed to be $400 on Rogers outright and launches on the 8th.

Hmmm, googled and found this http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/01/rogers-nokia-lumia-830-will-cost-400-outright-coming-october-9th/

Update: Rogers informed us that the Lumia 830 is actually coming on October 8th. One day earlier for your Windows Phone goodness!

T-Mo can't be that far off now, can it? Please please please

And now, the 830 is coming to Brazil too. Wasn't the RM-985 (supposed T-Mo variant) first spotted in Brazil? How long until we see this phone on Expansys?

maeh2k

*downloading*

I'll just put it in a VM. Hopefully Virtualbox handles Windows guests better than it does Linux guests.

Upgrading from Windows Update is for Win8 too, or just Win7?

Edit: Oh, I see on the page that installing the preview will get rid of the recover partition... Hmmm, not so sure about installing on my SP3 now :(

dLMN8R

Upgrading from Windows Update is for Win8 too, or just Win7?

Edit: Oh, I see on the page that installing the preview will get rid of the recover partition... Hmmm, not so sure about installing on my SP3 now :(

Just Win7 for right now. If you're on Win8 you need to get the ISOs.

JimiNutz

Banned
I loved my Lumia 920 but ended moving to Android (was a gift) and the only thing I like about Android is the better apps.

If Windows 10 will be one OS for all MS platforms does that mean that windows phone will now get all the same apps that windows does? What about Xbox One, will that use windows 10 and will the same apps on Xbox One be on Windows Phone too.

For example, Android has a UFC TV/Fight Pass app on Android, but not Windows Phone and I've heard that they are going to have one on Xbox One soon - on this new windows 10 ecosystem would that same app work on Windows Phone, PC, Xbox One, Surface etc?

Magni

Idea for Windows (Phone) 10 (or better yet, 8.1.2 or whatever the next version is called): double tap to clear a live tile.

Very often, I'll have notifications on a live tile that I've already seen elsewhere (for example, Messenger or WPCentral). I'd love to be able to quickly clear the live tile without needing to open the app.

I loved my Lumia 920 but ended moving to Android (was a gift) and the only thing I like about Android is the better apps.

If Windows 10 will be one OS for all MS platforms does that mean that windows phone will now get all the same apps that windows does? What about Xbox One, will that use windows 10 and will the same apps on Xbox One be on Windows Phone too.

For example, Android has a UFC TV/Fight Pass app on Android, but not Windows Phone and I've heard that they are going to have one on Xbox One soon - on this new windows 10 ecosystem would that same app work on Windows Phone, PC, Xbox One, Surface etc?
Same application and same single store that they have the latest version of their app on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Xbox will have the entirety of the Windows apps available. I assume it'll be up to the developer to have availability on which devices/which front ends they build.

The most obvious case is that the Xbox apps will always be dominated by media centric applications and probably much less so with productivity applications.

-----

Hmm, I should DL the Win10 iso at work so I can install on my backup laptop right when I get home.

In Canada the 830 is $100 less expensive. Imo the 830 is a more attractive phone with possibly a better camera.

Then it's a good price, I agree. But here it costs the same as the Nexus 5 and has lower specs in every regard, except for the camera. That somehow reminds me that the Lumia 730 and 735 lacks Glance for some reason. Fucking Nokia.

Idea for Windows (Phone) 10 (or better yet, 8.1.2 or whatever the next version is called): double tap to clear a live tile.

Very often, I'll have notifications on a live tile that I've already seen elsewhere (for example, Messenger or WPCentral). I'd love to be able to quickly clear the live tile without needing to open the app.

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the waiting for the double tap. It could interfere with the responsiveness of starting an app on the homescreen.

Magni

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure it's worth the waiting for the double tap. It could interfere with the responsiveness of starting an app on the homescreen.

Hmmm.. what about swiping right on the tile? Swiping left brings us to the app list, and up/down is for navigating the start screen.

KageMaru

I believe apps would need to be published or updated as universal apps before they appear on the store for multiple devices. After the launch of Windows 10, it'll be interesting how much that catches on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So there a lot of Windows guys here: why won't onedrive just work? I have so many issues with that software. On my win 7 machine, my windows 8 machines especially.... It just gives me syncing errors all the time or other weirdness. I have over a terabyte of space, but I'm tempted to just pay for extra storage on Dropbox and just use onedrive for media. Dropbox just works, why can't onedrive be the same way? To be specific, I have file upload errors all the time, and today at work, my onedrive is still processing changes while my Dropbox success right away.

I don't see how. It's more expensive than a Nexus 5 or LG G2.

In Canada the 830 is $100 less expensive. Imo the 830 is a more attractive phone with possibly a better camera.

A quick Google search shows the 830 at 330 Euros, which is about $460 Canadian. Considering our dollar is weaker than the US one and the carriers like to jack up the off-contract price (they were selling Nexus 5's for $500 last year) $400 is pretty reasonable. Plus it's $400 on eBay (though unlocked).

MarkusRJR

And of course the only new mid-high range Windows Phone coming to Canada this year is exclusive to Rogers. FFS Microsoft/Nokia, this isn't that hard.

And of course the only new mid-high range Windows Phone coming to Canada this year is exclusive to Rogers. FFS Microsoft/Nokia, this isn't that hard.
It isn't hard but when very few people are interested in your phones it makes things difficult to get your product on shelves.

I do agree that Microsoft needs a nexus program to keep the buyers loyal to the platform happy.

So there a lot of Windows guys here: why won't onedrive just work? I have so many issues with that software. On my win 7 machine, my windows 8 machines especially.... It just gives me syncing errors all the time or other weirdness. I have over a terabyte of space, but I'm tempted to just pay for extra storage on Dropbox and just use onedrive for media. Dropbox just works, why can't onedrive be the same way? To be specific, I have file upload errors all the time, and today at work, my onedrive is still processing changes while my Dropbox success right away.

Mine works, but it's painfully slow to upload and download files... Perhaps that's why you are having some troubles? If you edit the same file before it syncs it can get a little messed up.

BTW, I still haven't received the update that allows me to generate links from explorer instead of going to onedrive.com. Is it supposed to be live yet?

I have no issues with it. I had SOME when I installed a new drive and changed my OneDrive location, but after the Windows 8.1 update, it started working fine again.

It does seem very slow to upload, though. Then again, I am trying to upload almost a full TB...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I have no issues with it. I had SOME when I installed a new drive and changed my OneDrive location, but after the Windows 8.1 update, it started working fine again.

It does seem very slow to upload, though. Then again, I am trying to upload almost a full TB...
The only issue I've had is after exporting a bunch of photos to it claims its uploading but its not. A quick restart of my surface and it starts uploading at 5-10+mbs

Magni

And now, the 830 is coming to Brazil too. Wasn't the RM-985 (supposed T-Mo variant) first spotted in Brazil? How long until we see this phone on Expansys?

Just checked again, and lo and behold: http://www.expansys-usa.com/nokia-lumia-830-smartphone-unlocked-orange-266533/

No mention of bands/RM number though, just reached out to them on Twitter. Also, $449 is a bit more than what I was willing to pay :/

---

Also, this: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/10/01/affordable-flagship-lumia-830-sales-begin/

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure? The N5 is $350 from Google. $399 for 32 gb.

830 looks nice though.

Must just be the Rogers gouging.

Edit: regarding the 930 I'm ok with hspa+ since I will be on WiFi most of the time. And I'm not usually streaming anything crazy anyways.

hadareud

The Translator
So the next nexus is almost 6 inches?

Unless they're doing 2 versions, that's really odd. This bigger and bigger madness has to stop, 5 inch is the maximum acceptable size.

Top Bottom