• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

So I tried 3 times to install the windows 10 tech preview last night. It goes to a black screen with the new windows logo, gets to 100% setting up and then the spinning thing just freezes every damn time. I am so sad, I hope they fix this soon.

n64coder

So I tried 3 times to install the windows 10 tech preview last night. It goes to a black screen with the new windows logo, gets to 100% setting up and then the spinning thing just freezes every damn time. I am so sad, I hope they fix this soon.

On the phone? I thought the preview was only for desktops and tables. I had no issues installing it on my old laptop.

Magni

The Expansys phone is a RM-984, fuck that.

Also, my WPCentral tile is almost in double digits when I woke up today, sweet, maybe some T-Mo related news... I scroll past all the 735/830 country launch announcement to find that there is indeed a launch announcement for T-Mo... for the fucking 530.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

That sucks. My install went smooth last night. Haven't played with it much yet though.

On the phone? I thought the preview was only for desktops and tables. I had no issues installing it on my old laptop.

No on my desktop. We were talking about it in this thread yesterday and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, or knew of a fix. I havent had much luck searching for help.

dLMN8R

So I used to use an iPhone, and I was thinking about grabbing an iPhone 6 to use in the meantime as I was waiting for new flagship Windows Phones.

But after watching people use iPhones recently - 5's and 6's - I realized that I simply do not want to.

• Even in iOS 8 the keyboard still sucks compared to Windows Phone. And third-party keyboards are still glitchy as hell for now.
  • What I've used of Swipe on my iPod Touch does not match (let alone exceed) what WP8.1 does
  • I realized I glance at my lock screen *all the fricken time* on my Lumia 920.
    • Next meeting notifications
    • Email/phone/text/etc. customizable notifications
    • Custom lock screen with Bing background of the day + current weather + 5-day forecast, all cleanly organized thanks to the Weather Flow app
  • Not to mention Glance itself, looking at those notifications without even turning on the screen is killer.
  • The default mail app in iOS 8 is still fucking awful
  • I would sorely miss live tiles - widgets in notification center don't come close

So...I've backed off the ledge. Sticking with Windows Phone for now I guess!

hwalker84

So I used to use an iPhone, and I was thinking about grabbing an iPhone 6 to use in the meantime as I was waiting for new flagship Windows Phones.

But after watching people use iPhones recently - 5's and 6's - I realized that I simply do not want to.

• Even in iOS 8 the keyboard still sucks compared to Windows Phone. And third-party keyboards are still glitchy as hell for now.
  • What I've used of Swipe on my iPod Touch does not match (let alone exceed) what WP8.1 does
  • I realized I glance at my lock screen *all the fricken time* on my Lumia 920.
    • Next meeting notifications
    • Email/phone/text/etc. customizable notifications
    • Custom lock screen with Bing background of the day + current weather + 5-day forecast, all cleanly organized thanks to the Weather Flow app
  • Not to mention Glance itself, looking at those notifications without even turning on the screen is killer.
  • The default mail app in iOS 8 is still fucking awful
  • I would sorely miss live tiles - widgets in notification center don't come close

So...I've backed off the ledge. Sticking with Windows Phone for now I guess!

Same thing happened to me. I walked into the Apple store leaning towards picking up a 6+ and shocking all who know me. After playing with it I backed off completely.

stktt

Banned
I might have just ordered a 930. When the "affordable flagship" costs $400, you might as well spend slightly more and get something much better.

I purchased an iPhone 6. Why.gif

I'm going to try using it for a month. If it's going to be anything like my ipad mini experience, it'll be highly disappointing.

Bonuses make you purchase stupid things sometimes. I used my 2 year upgrade on it. The next WP flagship will (of course) be purchased, and probably the Icon will be back to being my daily driver in a month. It'll probably end up being used as a wifi game machine / music machine for long trips (I do two-four 20 hour drives a year)

hwalker84

I purchased an iPhone 6. Why.gif

I'm going to try using it for a month. If it's going to be anything like my ipad mini experience, it'll be highly disappointing.

Bonuses make you purchase stupid things sometimes. I used my 2 year upgrade on it. The next WP flagship will (of course) be purchased, and probably the Icon will be back to being my daily driver in a month. It'll probably end up being used as a wifi game machine / music machine for long trips (I do two-four 20 hour drives a year)

That's if there's ever a WP flagship again.

royalan

The Expansys phone is a RM-984, fuck that.

Also, my WPCentral tile is almost in double digits when I woke up today, sweet, maybe some T-Mo related news... I scroll past all the 735/830 country launch announcement to find that there is indeed a launch announcement for T-Mo... for the fucking 530.

T-Mobile is now the only major carrier in the US to not announce anything about carrying the 730 or the 830. This bullshit...

T-Mobile is now the only major carrier in the US to not announce anything about carrying the 730 or the 830. This bullshit...
T-Mobile never had the customer base or the war chest to compete with ATT and Verizon. They get fewer flagships compared to the big 2 so yeah it's only the 530 and 630 for now.

Cricket is quickly becoming a good little carrier for WP with the 1320, 530, and the 630 which is "free" after rebate, activation, and 2 months of service.

edit: Cricket also allows tethering on WP and not their Androids, hahaha.

royalan

T-Mobile never had the customer base or the war chest to compete with ATT and Verizon. They get fewer flagships compared to the big 2 so yeah it's only the 530 and 630 for now.

Cricket is quickly becoming a good little carrier for WP with the 1320, 530, and the 630 which is "free" after rebate, activation, and 2 months of service.

But that applies just as much to Sprint. :(

And T-Mobile seems to get every other flagship just fine. :(

Honestly, I think we're past the days of major carriers not having the clout to get phones. Their costumer bases are all big enough. I think it's coming down to preference and backroom "agreements." Or just not realizing that a certain phone could be a big deal to their customers.

Magni

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/windows-phones.html

Ctrl/Cmd+F, "Meet our Windows Phones", cry :'(

They shouldn't have to compete for shit, MS should be throwing phones at all four carriers.

T-Mo headquarters are a ten minute drive from Microsoft's FFS.

edit: Nevermind the fact that T-Mo has all iPhones and the Galaxy flagships. This shouldn't matter anyways because MS needs to get a Nexus program started. It's 20-fucking-14, I don't want to have to choose my cell service based on what phone I have or my phone based on what cellphone provider I have. TWC/Comcast don't limit what computers you can use.

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/windows-phones.html

Ctrl/Cmd+F, "Meet our Windows Phones", cry :'(

They shouldn't have to compete for shit, MS should be throwing phones at all four carriers.

T-Mo headquarters are a ten minute drive from Microsoft's FFS.

edit: Nevermind the fact that T-Mo has all iPhones and the Galaxy flagships. This shouldn't matter anyways because MS needs to get a Nexus program started. It's 20-fucking-14, I don't want to have to choose my cell service based on what phone I have or my phone based on what cellphone provider I have. TWC/Comcast don't limit what computers you can use.
"Throwing phones at carriers?" Microsoft can throw all the phones they want at carriers but the carriers dictate what is on their shelves and sales dictate what buyers order from phone makers. With t-mobile, only the 520 was successful. The Lumia 925 "flagship" failed. That's the unfortunate reality.

Microsoft will try again, but likely with Windows 10. Sure I hope I'm wrong and the 1530 and 1030 are announced on 8.1 with a 2014 release date but not likely.

Magni

"Throwing phones at carriers?" Microsoft can throw all the phones they want at carriers but the carriers dictate what is on their shelves and sales dictate what buyers order from phone makers. With t-mobile, only the 520 was successful. The Lumia 925 "flagship" failed. That's the unfortunate reality.

Microsoft will try again, but likely with Windows 10. Sure I hope I'm wrong and the 1530 and 1030 are announced on 8.1 with a 2014 release date but not likely.

Have you heard of this thing called the Microsoft Store? Microsoft has their own stores where they could and should be offering their phones to all. I'm not saying carriers don't matter, but MS should be doing all it can to keep it's most dedicated users happy. And right now, they're doing a shitty job.

edit: sorry, didn't mean to lash out at you, long day :(

hitgirl

This Lumia Icon is too big. I feel like an uber dork walking around with a tablet. I sort of miss my HTX 8x. What are some other good Windows Phones on Verizon which are smaller? I might just sell this Icon and buy something else, or return it for restocking fee.

Maybe I'll just get another 8x, but the cheaper Lumia seems pretty nice. The 928.. is it much better than the 8x?

NeOak

This Lumia Icon is too big. I feel like an uber dork walking around with a tablet. I sort of miss my HTX 8x. What are some other good Windows Phones on Verizon which are smaller? I might just sell this Icon and buy something else, or return it for restocking fee.

Maybe I'll just get another 8x, but the cheaper Lumia seems pretty nice. The 928.. is it much better than the 8x?

If the Icon is too big, what is the 1520? o.o

PG2G

HTC M8 should feel a lot thinner

Just got my 1020 back from repair. Been using a 520 as a spare and boy have I missed my 1020's camera. No way can I sell this for an 830.

This restaurant is damn near pitch dark. No flash, no edits, just crop.

3fJh8F8.jpg

5koCbcV.jpg

yxhSSVT.jpg

Milchjon

Went to Carphone Warehouse (I think) to check out the 830. It is pretty awesome.

Anyhow, MS had some kind of in store promotion going where you could win a phone if you played a game of FIFA and were among the top 3 scorers of the day.
My brother has played FIFA all his life.
He doesn't own a smartphone yet.
Only three other people had played all day (Damn, they must suck at those promotions).
He only had to score 2 goals.
He didn't.

All the while I talked to the MS guys about my phone, and they gave me one of these cute square Nokia battery packs, which is awesome.

All in all a successful trip.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was listening to a podcast on headphones yesterday when I got a text from my wife. Cortana paused the podcast and told me the I had a text from (my wife) and do I want her to read it out. So I said yes,and she did. And then I replied, all via voice. Then the podcast continued playing.

First, that was awesome. Second, why does it not do that when I'm in the bloody car when it would be most useful?

Heretic

Was listening to a podcast on headphones yesterday when I got a text from my wife. Cortana paused the podcast and told me the I had a text from (my wife) and do I want her to read it out. So I said yes,and she did. And then I replied, all via voice. Then the podcast continued playing.

First, that was awesome. Second, why does it not do that when I'm in the bloody car when it would be most useful?
Check your setting

Open Cortana > 3 horizontal lines on the top right > Settings > scroll down to speech setting > change read aloud incoming text setting to whatever you prefer

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

it does it for me. i had a conversation via voice to text the other day. worked really well.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-desire-eye-specs-images-leak-533130/

HTC is making a nice comeback. M8 was well received now they have the the rumored Butterfly 2 and the Eye which has front and back 13mp cameras, waterproofing, 1080p screen, and Qualcomm 801 chip. New Windows Phones are also rumored. HTC has an event October 8.

Hopefully, HTC can streamline manufacturing where they can just slap Windows OS on their phones and they get released with their Android counterparts.

The Eye has got me interested.

Magni

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fido is going to carrying the 830 too. Basically just Telus left. A 930 being announced for Telus would be awesome.

Magni

oh my god. Every freaking day I hit "check for updates" and nothing happens. Amazing that they are able to block dev preview.

I tweeted at T-Mo, got two replies.

We are currently testing this update. We want to make sure your phone keeps working great! *BD

Only problem is my phone is currently almost unusable because 8.1 sucks without Cyan on a 521.

Software updates are a long process, which require a partnership between the software developer, the device manufacturer, and T-Mobile. If and when the update is available it would be pushed out to our customers. *RC

If and when? Are they gonna pull another Lumia 810 on us?? T-Mobile is literally the worst cell operator IN THE WORLD when it comes to supporting WP updates http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

n64coder

edit: Cricket also allows tethering on WP and not their Androids, hahaha.

Yea, I'm happy with Cricket. I just wish that they have more higher end windows phones available in their shop.

Top Bottom